• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

I swear to god that their balance updates are an elaborate troll. I can't begin to understand how they don't see how contradictory their design philosophies are versus the changes actually made.

"We believe the answer to balancing the combat sandbox is to bring underpowered items up to the level of things that are currently being used the most. We don't think constantly nerfing things is the right course of action."

Me: "THEY GET IT, PRAISE THEE!!"

*99% of stream talks about nerfs*

Me: "????????????"

Not that I 100% disagree with the changes made (the special ammo nerf sounds amazing on paper and will more than likely lead to a higher skill gap) but how can you say "We're doing thing because we believe X is the way to go." and then IMMEDIATELY after saying that talk about doing the exact opposite? Regardless of what I feel about the nerfs made, not following through on their insinuations is really frustrating.

The shotgun nerf sounds great on paper. Shotguns having a headshot multiplier was bad enough but being able to use them without any regard to positioning was awful. From what I saw, these changes will force players to think about where and when to use them instead of just holding forward and jumping around like monkeys.

The AR buff looks sexy and was the only thing that immediately jumped out to me as a completely positive change. I have a Grim Citizen III that I can't wait to try. :D

The Handcannon buff feels like a cop out, in all honesty. Bringing back first shot accuracy is obviously great but it was something that shouldn't have been changed in the first place. Past that, shots are still going to be a dice roll like they always have since TTK. If I have to roll a dice every shot past the first to determine if my bullets will land where I pointed them, why wouldn't I roll the dice as fast as possible? It's an arbitrary, random value being assigned every press of the trigger so I have a higher chance of getting better dice rolls the more rolls I take (spamming the trigger as fast as possible). On that front this "buff" in regards to bloom has made zero changes past the first (again, welcomed) shot. I don't understand why they can't just have damage falloff as the sole factor in determining weapon effectivenes and just remove bloom from the game. It was an awful mechanic in Halo: Reach and it's even worse in Destiny.

Bladedancer "buff" (I genuinely believe they think this was a buff) is so laughably bad that I don't think I have to give my thoughts on why I feel that way. Bladedancer nerfs have become as much of a meme as Fusion Rifle nerfs were.

Special Ammo nerf is by far the most interesting change and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. People afraid of snowballing after first wipe don't understand that the enemy player has the exact same risk of losing ammo as you do and especially with the emphasis being put on primary weapons. In my eyes it's the closest the special ammo economy has been to on-map style weapon pickups like in Halo, which is going to increase the skill gap immensely. Special weapons will no longer be crutches which is an AMAZING change. If you're in a situation where you're getting stomped by a team that has special ammo and you don't... you'd more than likely be getting stomped anyways. Even then, having ammo spawn up twice as fast will largely negate snowballing so I'm not concerned.

Skorri's... lol. They sounded really nervous even saying they weren't changing anything which I think says it all. It's a cancer to modes like Trials and should not be in PvP. They've had almost six months of people telling them how it affects the game and chose to do nothing. This right here is the type of thing that makes me wary of what the combat sandbox team is going to do in Destiny 2.

Overall, these changes feel like one step forward, one step backward, a sidestep left and then jumping in place. It's not even a surprise considering the people playtesting and creating the sandbox are so bad at their own game. How can you understand the real world effect of changes to the live game when you can't even shotgun a player that is point blank standing still in front of you? If they're not going to have people on the team that can competently play the game, the least they could do is have a summit of the most prominent competitive players to ask what they think about the current state of the game. Bungie has zero perspective on the issues plaguing Destiny because they sit inside of an echo chamber and only step out to get food or go to the bathroom.

I just saw the changes. Isn't this a nerf for handcannons? Feels like a nerf.

Overall it is 100% a nerf but they will at least be slightly more consistent. Not ideal by any means but if I had to choose between less damage fall off and reduced bloom in any form, I'd take the latter in a heart beat.

The special ammo nerf is going to make people camp with invective and icebreaker with a skorri on top. I want to read the rest of the patch notes when they come out to see what else got screwed over.

The special ammo nerf is going to make people camp with invective and icebreaker with a skorri on top. I want to read the rest of the patch notes when they come out to see what else got screwed over.

I mean... in that instance you could just, I dunno, push them? :p This change just makes playing aggressively all the more important. Collapsing on the enemy instead of turtling and letting them build super has always been the answer to camping. Take advantage of their passiveness and gain map control, simple as that.

Is it a nerf for HCs? I saw better accuracy (but still some bloom) and that was it I thought?

Initial shot accuracy is back to how it was in Year 1, which is a buff. The range damage fall off starts is closer and damage falls off quicker, which is a nerf. Overall HCs will be less effective outside of their intended range (that range also being smaller now) but will be slightly more consistent inside of their intended range.

It's a nerf more than a buff on paper.

Number45

Thanks, yeah just seen the full list. I think making the HC effective within its intended range is something of a buff - not sure what will be best to pair it with though for longer ranges (at least personally, I'm not great with a sniper in PvP).

I'll probably just carry on running Palindrome/Plan C, it's not like I've been fussed to stay to the meta anyway.

Seeing as shotguns are nerfed it's time to pull the claws and sunsinger out of retirement, every RoI auto can roll C&P so just run around aping people with that

Solar nades to rain death on special boxes as well

Dthomp

Seeing as shotguns are nerfed it's time to pull the claws and sunsinger out of retirement, every RoI auto can roll C&P so just run around aping people with that

Solar nades to rain death on special boxes as well

lol, exactly what I was thinking. Time to dust off my Sunsinger

Melchiah

Show me a better looking Guardian

C4EpwDmWEAAVUwf.jpg

Clue, you can't

CKqFYv4l.jpg
LVpSM0vl.jpg

RaVhjKSl.jpg
GDbeys7l.jpg

The Arc Hunter is my favorite, since I don't really like the look of Fr0st-EE5.

Dez_

After mulling it a bit over

This is gonna be bad for pve

why can't they balance separately

why

At this point, I just hope Destiny 2 doesn't go the same route of weapon parity between PvE and PvP, since there were more weapon changes based on the crucible than the PvE content, honestly.

I do think it would have been interesting if they did make everything over powered again. 2 shot Thorn, 2 shot Nirwen's / Red Death, cross mapping shotguns and snipers with all the aim assist. I wonder how that would end up playing out.

Dude bladedancers are gonna be so disgustingly bad its fucking amazing. Hungering blade, the only good perk blade has other than quickdraw nerfed to the ground, and if you blink you lose your radar for 2-3 seconds lmao. Bladedancer already had the most shit super in the entire game, seeing bladedancers after this patch will be as frequent as seeing sunsingers still running firebolts these days, well done Bungie, balance acquired.

Magik

Wh..Wha...What? This has to be one of the most bizarre weapon tuning patches I've ever seen.

Once again, Bungie has shown that they do not play their own game.

Melchiah

Dude bladedancers are gonna be so disgustingly bad its fucking amazing. Hungering blade, the only good perk blade has other than quickdraw nerfed to the ground, and if you blink you lose your radar for 2-3 seconds lmao. Bladedancer already had the most shit super in the entire game, seeing bladedancers after this patch will be as frequent as seeing sunsingers still running firebolts these days, well done Bungie, balance acquired.

That's exactly why I use Memory of Felwinter and Lucky Raspberry with the sub-class in Arc Burn strikes.

SgtCobra

Wh..Wha...What? This has to be one of the most bizarre weapon tuning patches I've ever seen.

Once again, Bungie has shown that they do not play their own game.
Really makes me #concerned for its sequel. It's like they're only listening to like 20% of what the community is saying and base the rest on their (inaccurate) playtesting. Remember their "someone wrecked us all with a fusion rifle while playtesting" statement like a year ago?.

They need to get the community more involved, just like with Overwatch. I remember Cozmo talking about speaking with the dev team about a general TTK buff, don't know whatever really happened to that?..

And Bladedancers, hesalreadydead.gif... I mean, who the hell has any difficulties playing against them other than them using Shinobu's Vow? (Which still feels like a REAL exotic in my opinion)
Like I said, I cannot understand why there can't be a balance between weapons in PvP, there doesn't need to be a meta, there is no need for nerfs completely destroying an archetype or class when it's also possible to increase counters.

Back then I used to think that nerfs were good, but they're turning the PvP in something completely different to what it was in year one, you can go too far with nerfing everything.

So HRoF Pulses and HCs got nerfed from what I am reading? Boy, I am totally excited about coming back to this game when there is new content...*sigh*

TsuWave

Special Ammo nerf is by far the most interesting change and I'm really looking forward to trying it out. People afraid of snowballing after first wipe don't understand that the enemy player has the exact same risk of losing ammo as you do and especially with the emphasis being put on primary weapons. In my eyes it's the closest the special ammo economy has been to on-map style weapon pickups like in Halo, which is going to increase the skill gap immensely. Special weapons will no longer be crutches which is an AMAZING change. If you're in a situation where you're getting stomped by a team that has special ammo and you don't... you'd more than likely be getting stomped anyways. Even then, having ammo spawn up twice as fast will largely negate snowballing so I'm not concerned.

if they were going to be doing things that's halo like shoulda just stayed with MS churning out halo games then.

for all the talk about making everything viable this update will push things to very specific weapons. also, special weapons, outside of shotguns, weren't really a crutch.

for weapon changes most people would have been happy with the shotgun changes, the overall flinch reduction to pulses and removing high cal rounds from HRoF pulses, an auto rifle buff and something to aid with HC's ghost bullets.

I don't know that HCs got nerfed. Sounds like an improvement. Looking forward to AR changes.

Not sure why I'd use a Grasp/CD/Waltz over a Hawksaw now— the precision TTK is the same and the body TTK is worse. Why not have the same sort of range fall off that HCs got so that there's a reason to choose one archetype over another based on the expected engagement ranges?

I don't expect to like the special ammo changes despite using a sidearm a lot already.

Foxxsoxx

Destiny balance patches are the biggest joke.

I really just want to see how bizarre they can go. One step forward one step back.

rezn0r

HEY GUYS WE HAVE MATHS ON WHAT'S THE BEST SHIT SO WE'RE GONNA GO AHEAD AND POINT OUT THAT THAT'S THE BEST SHIT AND THEN MAKE IT THE SECOND BEST SHIT, BUT WE PROMISE WE'RE TRYING TO MAKE IT THE BEST SHIT STILL

FUCK ME

Destiny balance patches are the biggest joke.

I really just want to see how bizarre they can go. One step forward one step back.

It's like

every patch they always just nerf shotgun one way or another. And hand cannons. And they 'rebalance' pulse rifles. And uugh

BHK3

Banned
There's no way to play alone right? I have to walk in a straight line to my mission because everyone's max rank fighting monsters that are immune to my bullets.

Also, I thought there was PvP multiplayer, where is it? Do I need more story before the menu option unlocks?

HMD

Did they seriously just nerf everything again? This is the exact opposite of a power creep, people used to praise the gunplay in Destiny and I used to agree, but it's a completely different case now, nothing ever feels good to shoot in this game anymore.

It's like

every patch they always just nerf shotgun one way or another. And hand cannons. And they 'rebalance' pulse rifles. And uugh

Pretty much, it took them 9/10 months to come up with this and the end result is we're back to a Hawksaw/Invective meta with a sprinkling of NLB/Sidearm and HC/Ice Breaker

The blade nerf is baffling like zero reason for it, same with landfall no one uses it as it was already nerfed, Ionic Blink should have been the one that burns super energy for every use

As for special ammo if they think the carnage that is crucible will turn into constant close range battles for special ammo crates they're deluded. They already have the data from their previous failed experiment so why do it again AND make it even worse for trials were you now lose special between every round

This was possibly the easiest patch ever and they managed to fuck it up

Edit Destiny Twitter and Bungie.net are up in arms the only ones who seem to be happy are Destiny Reddit who they again admitted on stream are there main source for feedback

Pretty much, it took them 9/10 months to come up with this and the end result is we're back to a Hawksaw/Invective meta with a sprinkling of NLB/Sidearm and HC/Ice Breaker

The blade nerf is baffling like zero reason for it, same with landfall no one uses it as it was already nerfed, Ionic Blink should have been the one that burns super energy for every use

As for special ammo if they think the carnage that is crucible will turn into constant close range battles for special ammo crates they're deluded. They already have the data from their previous failed experiment so why do it again AND make it even worse for trials were you now lose special between every round

This was possibly the easiest patch ever and they managed to fuck it up

Edit Destiny Twitter and Bungie.net are up in arms the only ones who seem to be happy are Destiny Reddit who they again admitted on stream are there main source for feedback

The Bladedancer and Landfall nerfs are just nonsense tbh Like...the bladedancer healing nerf is nonsensical..they're not the most effective hunter class to begin with.. The warlock melee nerfs are...so-so? Yeah it was long range, but that's the point of arc warlock...it's a risk to be that close.

The shotgun nerf compounded with the special weapon nerf is...way too much. The handcannon changes in theory sound nice, but the decreased damage over range is going to kill the hand cannon in PvE.

And yeah they should..stop listening to reddit.

I don't believe the new engine part. A heavily modified engine? Sure. New hotness? Nope.

That was one of the foregoing rumors that's been going around. After all, the current engine seems archaic in it's ability to be updated fluidly, which is what a game like Destiny needs.

chur

That was one of the foregoing rumors that's been going around. After all, the current engine seems archaic in it's ability to be updated fluidly, which is what a game like Destiny needs.
I think Bungie would just continue working on the current engine. Change it up so much that they might consider it a new engine.

Trakan

I don't believe the new engine part. A heavily modified engine? Sure. New hotness? Nope.

It's been the rumor for a while now, since the old one is so bad. They pretty much had to start from scratch to get content for the game out quicker.

chur

It's been the rumor for a while now, since the old one is so bad. They pretty much had to start from scratch to get content for the game out quicker.
I know it's been the rumor and I don't doubt Bungie themselves consider it a new engine. But that thing will just be a heavily modified version of the current engine.

If they don't have a new engine and/or a much better pipeline, then they're pretty screwed....

BUT the mention of facial hair at the end just makes me think it could well be an elaborate troll.

IMHO the investor call won't have that much detail - it will cover the points that matter from a money point of view:-

Rough release date e.g. Fall 2017
Platforms (so investors know market size)
Assurance that there will be a much better content pipeline

Investors will see/assume that Destiny 1 left an awful lot of money on the table, in terms of player engagement, blind loot boxes, and cosmetic item DLC.

They will jave very high expectations for D2 - everyone in the OT's needs to brace their wallets!!

all i want from Destiny 2 is for it to be on PC.

i just bought Rise of Iron last night. haven't played in a while. started a new character and gonna go through as much as i can before D2 releases.

GlamFM

Banned
If they don't have a new engine and/or a much better pipeline, then they're pretty screwed....

BUT the mention of facial hair at the end just makes me think it could well be an elaborate troll.

IMHO the investor call won't have that much detail - it will cover the points that matter from a money point of view:-

Rough release date e.g. Fall 2017
Platforms (so investors know market size)
Assurance that there will be a much better content pipeline

Investors will see/assume that Destiny 1 left an awful lot of money on the table, in terms of player engagement, blind loot boxes, and cosmetic item DLC.

They will jave very high expectations for D2 - everyone in the OT's needs to brace their wallets!!

The new pipeline was mentioned by Jason before.

That´s actually my problem with this rumor.

It´s basically an accumulation of everything that was reported by Jason + a name that could easily be made up.

There's no way to play alone right? I have to walk in a straight line to my mission because everyone's max rank fighting monsters that are immune to my bullets.

You mean story missions that traverse public zones? Yeah, if you go exploring you will find does that are too high for you. It won't take long for that to not be true.

Also, I thought there was PvP multiplayer, where is it? Do I need more story before the menu optiion unlocks?

I don't even remember. On the map of planets, do you have a red cloud/circle in the upper right? Once unlocked there will be a blue one for strike (PvE) playlists and a red one for Crucible (PvP) playlists.

Destiny Twitter and Bungie.net are up in arms the only ones who seem to be happy are Destiny Reddit who they again admitted on stream are there main source for feedback

I dunno, I also saw a lot of unhappy comments about blade dancers and special ammo there too.

Top Bottom