• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Swiggins

Well shit...looks like I'm reinstalling Destiny. I never got around to doing Wrath of the Machine, and with all the other raids coming up, it sounds like It'll be a fun distraction in Summer when everything else is slowing down.

FyreWulff

Still find it really bizarre that they choose to announce that nothing is coming forward just before the last update (still not clear on emblems, honestly there's no excuse not to bring those and grimoire forward). Talk about destroying the existing player base till D2...

because Destiny 2 still technically doesn't exist, technically, until whomever gets the "exclusive real" gets their.. reveal.

I'm pretty sure they're updating Skolas and the other Prison of Elders challenges. Deej brought up the Prison briefly and there's a Prison icon in the weekly director. The standard mode isn't really that memorable, and the current Challenge of Elders is fairly recent, though it could be updated from 41 to 42.

Skolas and the other PoE challenges haven't been updated in a long time. Since they're going all in with the old stuff, it stands to reason that those will be updated, too. I bet they do a weekly feature like they're doing with the raids.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Still find it really bizarre that they choose to announce that nothing is coming forward just before the last update (still not clear on emblems, honestly there's no excuse not to bring those and grimoire forward). Talk about destroying the existing player base till D2...

To be fair, isn't the other option to announce it after people spend time getting all the emblems? Wouldn't that just annoy people too?

It's kind of a lose-lose situation for them at this point.

because Destiny 2 still technically doesn't exist, technically, until whomever gets the "exclusive real" gets their.. reveal.

Destiny 2 is officially announced so that's incorrect. Both Bungie and Activision have acknowledged it for a year now.

FyreWulff

Destiny 2 is officially announced so that's incorrect. Both Bungie and Activision have acknowledged it for a year now.

In terms of marketing, no. It's either "the sequel" in shareholder calls or they keep calling Destiny, Destiny 1 now.

The next game still technically doesn't have an official name, it's marketing push hasn't started, etc etc. Happens all the time because publishers like partnering with a mag or site for a reveal launch.

But yes, we know it exists,

Until then they won't likely talk concrete details about transfers outside of player appearance until Destiny 2017 has it's official reveal, officially "exists", and the marketing push begins.

It's the same as when everyone knew Halo 3: Mythic existed, but it didn't officially exist until Microsoft launched the marketing for H3: ODST.

tl;dr yes game exists, but it doesn't exist yet if you ask the marketing department of Activision.

noomi

Well then....

sccnPDJp6fjwoN45T9s3CdUC5vAwc06K6fYE5YSaYm9ORDRNVmbatxKkSOdKNjSFY8XqIvsSKyfBq-83ZFV5J9oy4yrRZzBUHoxHoZMHvxi7ld4T4HlqDfycRRA3vuFrUMefT3qO

TyrantII

With all these book rewards being emblems it seems silly not to bring emblems forward into D2.

If anything makes it, it will be those. Didn't 10 year bungie.net vets get specific site emblems for destiny when it launched? They do track stuff like that.

they also mentioned the drop rates for everything have been made more generous

I wonder if that means something in the game will actually drop an exotic engram for me, just once. That would be nice. I saw it say that someone in a crucible match I was in found an exotic engram during a match once. does anyone know what was up with that? I checked at the end of the match and he didnt get one as a reward so I didnt get what it was.

milkham

I wonder if that means something in the game will actually drop an exotic engram for me, just once. That would be nice. I saw it say that someone in a crucible match I was in found an exotic engram during a match once. does anyone know what was up with that? I checked at the end of the match and he didnt get one as a reward so I didnt get what it was.

you can get exotics from playing crucible, if it didn't show up on the rewards screen probably his 3 of coins kicked in. each match counts as a boss or whatever for the 3 of coins.

darthbob

If anything makes it, it will be those. Didn't 10 year bungie.net vets get specific site emblems for destiny when it launched? They do track stuff like that.

aww man don't remind me lol

At one point in time, prior to the b.net migration i was a mythic member but i didnt post enough so it bumped me down to legendary.

still wish i had that mythic emblem :(

you can get exotics from playing crucible, if it didn't show up on the rewards screen probably his 3 of coins kicked in. each match counts as a boss or whatever for the 3 of coins.

Fuck I had no idea you could use those there. So do they only last during your life, like if I die does it get wasted?

I saw it say that someone in a crucible match I was in found an exotic engram during a match once. does anyone know what was up with that? I checked at the end of the match and he didnt get one as a reward so I didnt get what it was.

An active Three of Coins is consumed by finishing a PvP match, so if RNGesus favours you then whammo: exotic.

Buy some ToC from Xûr on Friday/Saturday and pop one per strike (except Omnigul or Flayers, though sounds like this is changing at the end of the month) or one/crucible match.

Fuck I had no idea you could use those there. So do they only last during your life, like if I die does it get wasted?

No. If "exotic particles" is in the list of buffs/effects on the character screen it hasn't been used, and once its gone you can pop another. Lasts until used.

FyreWulff

no it gets consumed by the match ending. just think of the match ending as a drop chance that consumes the 3oC. You can even wait until right before the match ends to use the 3oC

Thanks guys. I will definitely start doing that. I have had no luck at all with getting good stuff to drop so I will definitely give this a chance.

You know you want it.

No, nobody wants that. LL chase is a meaningless grind.
Hmm do I need a new controller or not..

Wanna grind my account as I play Zelda? I need to put my switch to use before it starts collecting dust.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can we all just discuss the age old topic of matchmaking for a moment? Leave Raids out of it. Screw Raids.

Let's talk about everything else: Nightfall, Daily Story, Challenge of the Elders, all levels of Prison of Elders.

How is there even the slightest semblance of logic behind a single one of those not having optional matchmaking? The reason for it not existing in Raids is reasonable: they require too much communication and they are overly complicated. That isn't an issue with any of the activities I just listed.

Nightfall? I almost never use the mic on Nightfall. I use an LFG site three separate times each week just for the Nightfall. No one ever talks and the majority of the time, it goes fine. On top of that, you can unlock special super hard versions of strikes that are part of quest lines. ... And those do have matchmaking. They're harder than the Nightfall yet they have matchmaking.

Daily Story? Story missions just kind of suck on single player. And it's not as if Bungie wants us doing it alone since you can go into it with a Fireteam. I would do it all the time if I could just hop on with randoms real fast.

Challenge of the Elders? Prison of Elders 41 is longer and a bit more difficult and that has matchmaking. Using LFG, I did CotE on all three characters almost every single week from last spring up until Rise of Iron. 90% of the time, no one used a mic. It just made the process last longer because I needed to go back to LFG multiple times.

I don't think anything has frustrated me more in a game that I love as much as I love Destiny. It's completely illogical.

/rant

chur

Looks pretty cool. I'll come back to Destiny if Andromeda's multiplayer isn't any good . Got a glimmer of hope for raid matchmaking when I saw the weekly raid stuff in the director, but it wasn't meant to be.

Jabronium

Whst did I miss in the stream today? Anything exciting or am I staying in hyrule?

Stay in Hyrule unless you want to go grind old content for old weapons with new light levels.

I know it's my own fault for watching, but hopping over to Broman's channel and hearing that this was "an unfathomably intelligent and well-planned update" gave me a laugh. Also find it a little odd that they (Goth & he) are expecting D2 info to start coming out end of April. Given how tight lipped Bungo has been, and considering how badly the D1 hype train seemed to backfire at launch, I have a hard time seeing anything more than an ARG before an official E3 announcement. Then again, maybe I'm just being overly pessimistic.

For the folks that will enjoy this, I hope they have a blast. But especially with D2 looming, this isn't enough to tear me out of Horizon, or Torment, or Zelda, etc etc.

LTWood12

We know that 'unnamed Destiny sequel' exists.

Can we all just discuss the age old topic of matchmaking for a moment? Leave Raids out of it. Screw Raids.

Let's talk about everything else: Nightfall, Daily Story, Challenge of the Elders, all levels of Prison of Elders.

How is there even the slightest semblance of logic behind a single one of those not having optional matchmaking? The reason for it not existing in Raids is reasonable: they require too much communication and they are overly complicated. That isn't an issue with any of the activities I just listed.

Nightfall? I almost never use the mic on Nightfall. I use an LFG site three separate times each week just for the Nightfall. No one ever talks and the majority of the time, it goes fine. On top of that, you can unlock special super hard versions of strikes that are part of quest lines. ... And those do have matchmaking. They're harder than the Nightfall yet they have matchmaking.

Daily Story? Story missions just kind of suck on single player. And it's not as if Bungie wants us doing it alone since you can go into it with a Fireteam. I would do it all the time if I could just hop on with randoms real fast.

Challenge of the Elders? Prison of Elders 41 is longer and a bit more difficult and that has matchmaking. Using LFG, I did CotE on all three characters almost every single week from last spring up until Rise of Iron. 90% of the time, no one used a mic. It just made the process last longer because I needed to go back to LFG multiple times.

I don't think anything has frustrated me more in a game that I love as much as I love Destiny. It's completely illogical.

/rant

Optional matchmaking probably wouldn't hurt any of the activities you mentioned at this point. Can't remember the last time I did a daily story mission!

I'm at work and can't read it all. Did they say elemental is back in the VoG weapons?

It was mentioned and the impression most have gotten is yes they are returning. The context was Deej saying how 'elemental primaries will effect the sandbox' or something. I bet they were probably intending to save that for a later stream but cat's out of the bag.

Shiv47

sandbox status: yolo

About time, too. I missed the prime Vault/Crota days, so I'm looking forward to elemental primaries being of actual use in the game, if that happens. I hope the remaining months of the game are balls to the wall crazy, let it all out, as much Bungie will allow, at least
sure, lol
. I wouldn't be shocked if D2 had some kind of "oh noes, you've lost your powers, now go and level up again" type of story to fit in new classes and whatnot, so let us enjoy what we have now.

I just read the Reddit post for the reveal. Looks like I'll be tracking down Retro Raid groups to run through them again. Insert retro raid training montage here. It will be nice to get back into Desinty PVE content. Maybe try and finish the RoI book before the new content.

CLBridges

I'll check out the details later, looks like It'll be a good send off to Destiny 1 though.

On another note, why does this small update keep wanting to download 33gb, gotta be a bug? I've paused/resumed and cancelled/restarted but still the same. Oh well, may have to wait till bedtime and let it d/l overnight.

milkham

Hmm do I need a new controller or not..

Wanna grind my account as I play Zelda? I need to put my switch to use before it starts collecting dust.

get a new controller, and why grind now when you can enjoy that huge jump when the update drops and you kill crota?

/rant

Can't disagree

Thanks guys. I will definitely start doing that. I have had no luck at all with getting good stuff to drop so I will definitely give this a chance.

If you're after exotics check out YouTube videos on spamming the iron lords at the end of the last story mission. They count as ultras, and can drop an exotic if toc is active.

Pop a TOC. Activate boss fight and kill one with hammer. Hide and pop another TOC. Kill second one. Suicide via Gally and repeat.

I got 9 exotic engrams in 90 minutes using 90 TOC...Boring though! :)

Shiv47

Would be nice if the updated Crota is more generous in dropping Cruxes. I never got one from the original after however many kills.

If you're after exotics check out YouTube videos on spamming the iron lords at the end of the last story mission. They count as ultras, and can drop an exotic if toc is active.

Pop a TOC. Activate boss fight and kill one with hammer. Hide and pop another TOC. Kill second one. Suicide via Gally and repeat.

I got 9 exotic engrams in 90 minutes using 90 TOC...Boring though! :)
Does that require rise or iron? Sadly I don't have that.

vid

*glances at his poor neglected guardian, LL 328 and untouched since finishing the Rise of Iron story missions*

Time for Triumphs again so soon?

I'm... not even sure how to start the grind to 390 at this point. Guess I'll do some research.

Top Bottom