• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

The new record book is pretty great. Bungie really needs to keep doing those for D2.

Can we all just discuss the age old topic of matchmaking for a moment? Leave Raids out of it. Screw Raids.

Let's talk about everything else: Nightfall, Daily Story, Challenge of the Elders, all levels of Prison of Elders.

How is there even the slightest semblance of logic behind a single one of those not having optional matchmaking? The reason for it not existing in Raids is reasonable: they require too much communication and they are overly complicated. That isn't an issue with any of the activities I just listed.

Nightfall? I almost never use the mic on Nightfall. I use an LFG site three separate times each week just for the Nightfall. No one ever talks and the majority of the time, it goes fine. On top of that, you can unlock special super hard versions of strikes that are part of quest lines. ... And those do have matchmaking. They're harder than the Nightfall yet they have matchmaking.

Daily Story? Story missions just kind of suck on single player. And it's not as if Bungie wants us doing it alone since you can go into it with a Fireteam. I would do it all the time if I could just hop on with randoms real fast.

Challenge of the Elders? Prison of Elders 41 is longer and a bit more difficult and that has matchmaking. Using LFG, I did CotE on all three characters almost every single week from last spring up until Rise of Iron. 90% of the time, no one used a mic. It just made the process last longer because I needed to go back to LFG multiple times.

I don't think anything has frustrated me more in a game that I love as much as I love Destiny. It's completely illogical.

/rant

I completely agree with you. Personally I think (puts spinfoil hat on) that they don't have mm because they WANT you to call your friend to get them to play. We all know peer pressure is one of the best ways to sell a game. How many people buy CoD because they 'just want to play with their friends' even when they could give a shit less about CoD? A shit ton. And if you're playing Destiny regularly, and you want to play end game content, you're going to naturally want to play with people you like more so than people you don't care about or no one at all. Thus you try to convince your friend to play. That's just the way I've always seen it. I honestly can't think of another reason why NF, PoE/CoE, or Daily Mission dont have mm.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The new record book is pretty great. Bungie really needs to keep doing those for D2.

I completely agree with you. Personally I think (puts spinfoil hat on) that they don't have mm because they WANT you to call your friend to get them to play. We all know peer pressure is one of the best ways to sell a game. How many people buy CoD because they 'just want to play with their friends' even when they could give a shit less about CoD? A shit ton. And if you're playing Destiny regularly, and you want to play end game content, you're going to naturally want to play with people you like more so than people you don't care about or no one at all. Thus you try to convince your friend to play. That's just the way I've always seen it. I honestly can't think of another reason why NF, PoE/CoE, or Daily Mission dont have mm.

It just feels like pure stubbornness. But they read the forums, they call out regular Crucible players and Reddit posters in the streams. They know matchmaking is needed.

So I do wonder if the terrible development tools that Kotaku has reported on make it difficult for them to implement? But honestly, after all this time that shouldn't be an issue.

Like I said a couple times in this thread, I would do the Daily Story all the time if it had matchmaking. It would be fun to wake up in the morning, do the Daily Crucible and the Daily Story, then go to work.

It just feels like pure stubbornness. But they read the forums, they call out regular Crucible players and Reddit posters in the streams. They know matchmaking is needed.

So I do wonder if the terrible development tools that Kotaku has reported on make it difficult for them to implement? But honestly, after all this time that shouldn't be an issue.

Like I said a couple times in this thread, I would do the Daily Story all the time if it had matchmaking. It would be fun to wake up in the morning, do the Daily Crucible and the Daily Story, then go to work.

I doubt it. Back in Y1, weekly strikes did not have matchmaking. Then one week they changed it to have mm, but NF stayed the same. Weekly strikes are gone now, but they are proof that it can change.

vctor182

I'll need to hunt for a new Fatebringer, Vex Mytho and Praetorian Foil?? Fuck that! Bungie wants this update to be about celebrating players who've been since year one but they won't let them infuse their weapons to max light... Sigh....

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
My Destiny disc has never left my PS4 since three years ago. Took it out today and it's cleaner than anything.

I have always thought they could have a kiosk or social space within the world, where you could place an ad for other guardians to join you or join them in raids and nightfalls. Jesus didn't final fantasy on the PS2 have this?

ZeoVGM

Banned
I have always thought they could have a kiosk or social space within the world, where you could place an ad for other guardians to join you or join them in raids and nightfalls. Jesus didn't final fantasy on the PS2 have this?

That would make sense for Raids but for everything else? No bulletins needed, just simple matchmaking with option to turn off if you want to solo.

renzolama

Another amazing update, complete with a new giant grind book! You get to grind for weapons you probably already had multiple times but were forcefully retired by Bungie so that they could incentivize you to grind for them again. The icing on the cake is that the only real attempt at new content is locked behind raids with no matchmaking. If Destiny 2 is anything like the last 1.5 years or so of Destiny 1 then consider me seriously deflated about it, and this is coming from someone who dumped 1500 hours into Destiny over the first year. I can't even remember what made me so excited about it at that time, although I suspect it was probably the fact that there were actual amazing weapons/armor that changed the gameplay significantly rather than having +/- 5 ammo capacity etc.

Edit: Yes, I'm cranky about it, grumble grumble grumble...

Another amazing update, complete with a new giant grind book! You get to grind for weapons you probably already had multiple times but were forcefully retired by Bungie so that they could incentivize you to grind for them again. The icing on the cake is that the only real attempt at new content is locked behind raids with no matchmaking. If Destiny 2 is anything like the last 1.5 years or so of Destiny 1 then consider me seriously deflated about it, and this is coming from someone who dumped 1500 hours into Destiny over the first year. I can't even remember what made me so excited about it at that time, although I suspect it was probably the fact that there were actual amazing weapons/armor that changed the gameplay significantly rather than having +/- 5 ammo capacity etc.

Toche

I think the event sounds great. And I'm someone who probably will never get to run the raids again. Never ended up clearing Crota or even attempting Wrath.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Edit: Yes, I'm cranky about it, grumble grumble grumble...

I would be legitimately shocked if Destiny 2 didn't have matchmaking or some form of it for every single activity.

Welp I had 5 three of coins so I used one per match for 5 crucible matches. No good at all. I have the worst luck with the drops in this game.

Spoo

I think ultimately I'm okay with the philosophy behind this update. Basically, we're at the end of Destiny as a whole, and what that should mean is that the hardcore players have reached the zenith of their character's development, and now we're just getting additional rewards for essentially sticking around.

I'm sure they want some people to come back, and I'm pretty sure some people will, but for the most part this update is trying to make the entirety of the game's content relevant. Maybe it fails in some ways by re-introducing old things and asking us to farm them over again. But ultimately, this is the end of the line, and people can either "finish" their Destiny farm by way of the book and miscellaneous rewards, or they can choose to close the book on the adventure if they'd rather. Both options are probably fine as far as Bungie is concerned.

For people who haven't seen the whole of Destiny at this point, the reintroduction of the raids is a pretty good thing. That's a lot of content back on the table, and hopefully it inspires people to go back and have fun with this stuff. For people who want to continue challenging themselves, the new challenge modes for VoG and CE are nice additions. For collectors, the emblems and new raid armor and re-introduction of old weapons is a fair incentive. For people that like competitive, hopefully the meta hasn't seen its last change and the sandbox update can improve the game for the better.

Not having the light level increase, I agree with that move. Initially it seems stupid, but if you think about it, an extra 10 light here isn't something that adds value to the game at this point. People who have kept up with the game have the best characters they can now. So that puts a period at the end of the adventure from a direct progression standpoint.

Destiny ending where it began with people grinding out VoG is a sort of poetic justice for the game. It's not the most exciting thing in the world, but we've asked and asked for it and now that we're getting it I'm pretty content with that. Honestly, they are doing more than I expected, and in some cases, more than I want, but it's pretty clear this update is trying to appeal to a vast majority of more hardcore players that identify their Destiny experience in different ways. Some people are raid experts, others just love competitive, and even a few who find their primary fun through the various daily activities and patrols. So it's not an update about the intersection of player likes, but the union, and that's going to mean it doesn't go so far in any one direction.

I'll probably enjoy saying goodbye to Destiny 1 in this way. I consume pretty much all the content there is in Destiny. And I'll look forward to hoping for a better future in Destiny 2.

Anyone who thinks raids should have matchmaking either hasn't done many raids or hasn't tried to look at LFG for raids especially during the time they released. Even a couple months after a new raid can lfg be hard enough.

Raid matchmaking would create way more horrible experiences than good, by far. I'd say 99.9% bad.

Heck even relatively easy Siva Strike playlists are so hit and miss.

Y'all are straight trippin if you think raid matchmaking is a good idea. Get over that. Do yourself a favor and ask here or lfg. It isn't hard when a new (or in this case, remixed) raid comes out.

Welp I had 5 three of coins so I used one per match for 5 crucible matches. No good at all. I have the worst luck with the drops in this game.

On average, it's like 1 exotic for 7 pvp games.

Just a rough avg because there are times you dont get anything for 15 games and then you can get 1 back to back.

Stock up when Xur comes on Friday.

So, what's the consensus on what Bungie showed yesterday? Cookery got in the way of Destinery and I wasn't able to watch the stream.

People complaining about lack of raid matchmaking...

*Bungle adds raid matchmaking*

People complaining about terrible team mates, AFK'ers, no mic'ers, laggy players, can't find a match, WTF bunlge fix this shit, who asked for raid matchmaking blah blah blah...

People complaining about lack of raid matchmaking...

*Bungle adds raid matchmaking*

People complaining about terrible team mates, AFK'ers, no mic'ers, laggy players, can't find a match, WTF bunlge fix this shit, who asked for raid matchmaking blah blah blah...

People keep saying this

You won't know till they try. As is, matchmaking would be better for the game than not, until proven otherwise.

Spoo

Will all pages of the book auto fill-in because we already did most of the stuff or just the story page?

I'm pretty sure they said about 40-50% of the book will auto-fill depending on your level of completion. So most story stuff, the trials run, class-specific achievements.

glaurung

Wait... did they add matchmaking for raids?
No they did not. Matchmaking in raids sounds like a horrible idea, only a very silly, inexperienced player would keep requesting it. Probably hoping that 99% of match-made raids turn out to be carrying them all the way. And what if the match-made team wipes once? Stupid newbies would immediately go to orbit and pick another match-made raid. No punishment.

FeaturedRaidTooltip.jpg

Dez_

I forgot about the stream, but the info on Reddit sounds pretty neat. I'll probably be back to try out the updated raids. Hope to see the community thread to be a little more lively as a result.

LTWood12

There should be in in-game LFG system for setting up raid groups, but full on matchmaking for raids would be a disaster. Hell trying to do Echo Chamber w/ randos the first few months after The Taken King came out was proof enough for me. The mechanic of 'put shiny ball into the thing, now shoot the guy' was a slog lol. Imagine trying to kill Golgoroth out the gate w/ a matchmade team.

My Destiny disc has never left my PS4 since three years ago. Took it out today and it's cleaner than anything.

I did the same thing back in September when I upgraded to the digital version. Don't think I'd taken it out but once maybe twice over the course of two years.

shingi70

Banned
So is the theory tied to the new record book or the one from rise of iron. I completed last year's but waasnt able to order the shirt in time and this year I want to make sure i get it.

Anyone who thinks raids should have matchmaking either hasn't done many raids or hasn't tried to look at LFG for raids especially during the time they released. Even a couple months after a new raid can lfg be hard enough.

Raid matchmaking would create way more horrible experiences than good, by far. I'd say 99.9% bad.

Heck even relatively easy Siva Strike playlists are so hit and miss.

Y'all are straight trippin if you think raid matchmaking is a good idea. Get over that. Do yourself a favor and ask here or lfg. It isn't hard when a new (or in this case, remixed) raid comes out.

On average, it's like 1 exotic for 7 pvp games.

Just a rough avg because there are times you dont get anything for 15 games and then you can get 1 back to back.

Stock up when Xur comes on Friday.

The community is going to have arguments about raid mm till we die. Its just the way it goes. I personally think there should be some form of ingame way to link up with people. Raid mm would be completely acceptable IF, and only if, a player has completed the raid X number of times. Also, it's like Bungie forgot server browsers are a thing. It doesn't have to be mm exactly. But I guess its easier to not include stuff like that and let people on 3rd party sites make your game playable. I mean, let's be completely honest. Without LFG, raiding would not really be possible for many players. You'd have to get all IRL friends, get internet friends, or just post on forums. As much as people like to say LFG is a cesspool, it is very efficient at getting you into a group fast.

The fact of the matter is, some form of in game way to connect to players who want to complete the same activity as you is absolutely needed.

As much as people like to say LFG is a cesspool, it is very efficient at getting you into a group fast.

My love for LFG died the moment I saw people charging people to do runs for the last Trials before RoI.

I'd like some sort of MM in place because The people I play with don't play the game any more. I also don't think I should have to use a 3rd party to facilitate matchmaking. Would there be issues? Sure. But there are also issues with LFG. So I don't see the big deal. Just my two cents.

I should spend a some time upgrading my Striker, Bladedancer and Stormcaller classes. Those are the only three classes that aren't maxed out.

Deku Tree

I hope D2 raid armor has set bonuses for having all of it. And I hope the bonuses are not random.

Destiny is the last physical I ever bought. Destiny bundle. I've gone fully digital since then.

So that's why you never needed to take out the disk!

You mean just as baseless as people claiming otherwise? Yup.

The argument against matchmaking comes from people playing other games with Raids in them and seeing first hand what happens when matchmaking is added. People rage quit on failure and/or the content gets nerfed when it doesn't need to be.

The argument for matchmaking is primarily "I don't have a steady group and don't want to put in outside effort to find one but I want to play and beat the hardest content in the game."

Neither side is perfect but one thing that happens regardless is that when the community has content on farm, people get bored and quit. Matchmaking the content has a higher chance of rage quits or nerf. Rage quits are always a bad thing and nerfing results in content on farm faster.

The argument against matchmaking comes from people playing other games with Raids in them and seeing first hand what happens when matchmaking is added. People rage quit on failure and/or the content gets nerfed when it doesn't need to be.

The argument for matchmaking is primarily "I don't have a steady group and don't want to put in outside effort to find one but I want to play and beat the hardest content in the game."

Neither side is perfect but one thing that happens regardless is that when the community has content on farm, people get bored and quit. Matchmaking the content has a higher chance of rage quits or nerf. Rage quits are always a bad thing and nerfing results in content on farm faster.

With a little bit of creativity, Bungie could come up with a worthy mm substitute. They practically created mm back with H2, right?

Just off the top of my head, all they have to do is have one player start a raid lobby, set some parameters (checkpoint start, min light, etc) and then people can search for that lobby. Server browsers have been in games for decades, this is not a new thing. Then the players begin once they all ready up or the host begins. Once in the raid, if at any point someone leaves, the host can bring everyone to orbit and the host can then 'repost' the server. Essentially putting it back in the search.

Its really that simple. And thats just off the top of my head. Bungie could easily make a proper system that accounts for players having a good time whether its their first time in the raid or their 100th.

Its really that simple. And thats just off the top of my head. Bungie could easily make a proper system that accounts for players having a good time whether its their first time in the raid or their 100th.

Without knowing Bungie's network infrastructure, it might not be that simple. There could be multiple reasons why they can't get it to work in the current version of Destiny. On a technical level.

With all the rumours of how Destiny's engine is a pain to deal with, I wouldn't be surprised if the network code they have in place, for strikes, can't be expanded for Raids without breaking Destiny. Which could be why they never implemented it.

Top Bottom