• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

Frostburn

Nope, no mention of a tower refresh either. I wasn't expecting new weapons or anything, but at least mix up the perks on the existing ones.

Favorite line of the stream so far is deej mentioning how he's going to "put on his light beyond nemesis and just spam nova bombs" in daybreak strikes.

Argh that sucks, no point in Legendary Marks for most of us and there hasn't been for a WHILE. LOL No one corrected him either, dude is a Warlock main and doesn't remember his exotic helms.

Well I guess that is the stream for this week, damn they don't even look excited on the stream trying to hype up this stuff.

You can't just "buy gear until you get good rolls." That isn't how it works.

How is it not how it works? You buy boxes, get Silver Dust, buy the engrams (Dusty Iron, Crucible or the armor that you just get from Sterling and Christmas boxes), infuse a random blue into it and see if it's good. Rinse and repeat. That is exactly how that works. :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
I can't tell you how damn frustrating it is that it looks as if they still aren't adding matchmaking for these final months as the player base will continue to fall until Destiny 2 releases.

Not for the Raids. For the basic damn activities like Nightfall, Prison of Elders, Challenge of the Elders and Daily Story (especially now that it's a playlist you can go through).

Is it because of their development tools? I mean, the Weekly Heroic didn't have matchmaking originally and they added that. Is it just stubbornness?

The "weekly rituals" would be so much better if I could get up before work and jump into some activities really fast. And just, you know, have fun. Needing to rely on LFG or forums for anything but Raids and Trials is crazy.

Was really hoping they would throw people a bone in these final through months as the player base will be falling fast.

darthbob

Am at work, missed stream.

For Daybreak Strikes, is that a new type of Strike that can be run like with the Heroics and Nightfall or is Daybreak a modifier for Nightfall? I rarely get to run NFs as is because I don't have time to search on LFG and I don't have a group of friends to play with consistently so if it's locked behind NFs then :(

The stream was whatever. Not a ton of useful information, but it was fun to see the Daybreak stuff. They mentioned that Daybreak would be a weekly thing later in the year, through August.

That leads me to believe that Destiny 2 will release some time in September. November is typically a Call of Duty month, so I don't think that Activision would put out two of their biggest titles so close to each other.

For Daybreak Strikes, is that a new type of Strike that can be run like with the Heroics and Nightfall or is Daybreak a modifier for Nightfall? I rarely get to run NFs as is because I don't have time to search on LFG and I don't have a group of friends to play with consistently so if it's locked behind NFs then :(

It's a modifier for Nightfall strikes. They say it's going to show up once a month. They mentioned towards the end of the stream that July through August would have the Daybreak modifier every week.

Arrrammis

NF modifier, but apparently it only shows up for one week per month because we don't like people to have fun.

ZeoVGM

Banned
How is it not how it works? You buy boxes, get Silver Dust, buy the engrams (Dusty Iron, Crucible or the armor that you just get from Sterling and Christmas boxes), infuse a random blue into it and see if it's good. Rinse and repeat. That is exactly how that works. :p

No, you said you can simply go buy gear until you get good rolls. That's false. You have to buy other items, break them down, then hope you get what you're looking for from an engram, then infuse it.

On top of that, you're almost ever (if at all) getting God rolls from the treasure armors anyway.

I don't think you realize how much money it would actually take to do what you're saying. Seriously, no one is doing that.

Trakan

NF modifier, but apparently it only shows up for one week per month because we don't like people to have fun.

They also claim it doesn't make the NF easier. Then why limit it to once a month? Also it was weird/convenient how they mentioned that starting in JULY there will be a six-week stretch of daybreak strikes. I'm guessing leading up to the D2 release in September.

I can't tell you how damn frustrating it is that it looks as if they still aren't adding matchmaking for these final months as the player base will continue to fall until Destiny 2 releases.

Not for the Raids. For the basic damn activities like Nightfall, Prison of Elders, Challenge of the Elders and Daily Story (especially now that it's a playlist you can go through).

Is it because of their development tools? I mean, the Weekly Heroic didn't have matchmaking originally and they added that. Is it just stubbornness?

The "weekly rituals" would be so much better if I could get up before work and jump into some activities really fast. And just, you know, have fun. Needing to rely on LFG or forums for anything but Raids and Trials is crazy.

Was really hoping they would throw people a bone in these final through months as the player base will be falling fast.

Bolded the answer for you. Bungie's trademarked Stubbornness™ has always been the reason sensible things don't make it into their games. It's been this way since Halo and will continue to be this way so long as they have a "vision" for the game.

ZeoVGM

Banned
They felt that people who couldn't get a team together to do the nightfall until later in the week were penalized for not doing it on Tuesday.

Which of course, could have been fixed by simply adding matchmaking.

I swear, sometimes Bungie purposefully goes with the more convoluted and annoying solutions for simple issues.

darthbob

It's a modifier for Nightfall strikes. They say it's going to show up once a month. They mentioned towards the end of the stream that July through August would have the Daybreak modifier every week.

Thank you. Pretty lame to hear, I was hoping it'd be a modifier for Heroics or just a separate playlist entirely.

Arrrammis

Any good stream summary?

The reddit thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe..._of_triumph_weekly_rituals_reveal_megathread/) is being updated, but here's a quick TL;DW that someone posted:
In the Tower
The Speaker will have a 12 step quest for us that will require us to complete varying activites.
Eververse items have now been packed into Treasure of Ages boxes. One box costs 200 silver. The Box includes new ornaments, ships, shaders, gear. The box will also include all armor from other treasure boxes.
Silver Dust Collection has expanded and includes SRL shaders/emblems, dawning gear, new engrams for the different faction armor.
Shaxx carries two weekly bounties now and it appears factions will now carry engrams for their armor.
New ornaments from Treasure of Ages include: No Land Beyond, Suros Regime, Vex Mythoclast, Nechrochasm, Touch of Malice, Dragons Breath, and Lord of Wolves.
Weekly Ritual Panel
Weekly Crucible playlist is reduced to 6v6 modes and will grant one Treasure of Ages per week.
Weekly Story Playlist. All of the Destiny story missions have been sorted into 1 of 10 categories and 2 of those categories will be featured in the weekly playlist. Missions are higher level and have modifiers. You can earn up to 100 legendary marks a week and 1 Treasure of Ages a week.
Siva Heroic Strikes are the same but can give 1 Treasure of Ages a week.
Nightfalls are the same. However once every four weeks there will be a modifier called Daybreak. It increases charge rate of all abilities. There will be a string of 6 weeks with Daybreak in July. Blue flames will also appear on your Guardians head after completing the nightfall.
Challenge of the Elders is the same but higher difficulty and featured on the panel.
Featured Raid will feature 1 of 4 raids each week and will activate all challenges while also giving more loot.
Not too much new info at all.
Plus, you can now use Silver Dust (which you get from microtransactions) to buy armor engrams from every faction including Crucible and Vanguard. More Pay to win, yay!

No, you said you can simply go buy gear until you get good rolls. That's false. You have to buy other items, break them down, then hope you get what you're looking for from an engram, then infuse it.

On top of that, you're almost ever (if at all) getting God rolls from the treasure armors anyway.

I don't think you realize how much money it would actually take to do what you're saying. Seriously, no one is doing that.

I spent $100 dollars of extra cash I had and ended up with two T12 builds for my Warlock when the Sterling boxes were released. I obviously got luckier than some would but it still happened. I didn't do it for the purpose of getting the T12 build, mind you, because I legit just loved the look of the Spektar armor. I'm just saying that you can definitely pay to get perfect loot. The success of that plan may be up to RNG but it still exists.

Arrrammis

People seem to be confused as to what Pay 2 Win ACTUALLY means.

Many people (in this thread and outside) consider P2W to mean that people who spend money on microtransactions can get gear and boosts that are potentially unobtainable by someone who doesn't spend that money, and gives them a definite advantage. Now people can easily buy packages and mass buy engrams for a specific gear set and keep buying that gear to max tier rolls on it. Meanwhile, a free player can get three chances at getting a single piece of armor from a random armor set per week.

In Destiny, it's not nearly as bad as games like CoD: IW, but it's still there and it's still a shitty practice.

EL CUCO

Man, I get hyped when the community finds new stuff but these streams aren't doing anything for me.

I hope those "updated" Raids deliver, but I can't help but imagine the changes will be MINIMAL.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I spent $100 dollars of extra cash I had and ended up with two T12 builds for my Warlock when the Sterling boxes were released. I obviously got luckier than some would but it still happened. I didn't do it for the purpose of getting the T12 build, mind you, because I legit just loved the look of the Spektar armor. I'm just saying that you can definitely pay to get perfect loot. The success of that plan may be up to RNG but it still exists.

You got incredibly lucky and spent more money than the majority of players are willing to spend.

(I'm not one of them. I've spent a ton of money on Silver and have zero T12 builds.)

I think you're also overestimating the importance of a T12 build in PVP. I really don't think it matters much at all. If you have good rolls in general, you're fine. T12 rolls are for the most obsessive of Destiny players.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
That's the thing. So many people have moved on. These changes aren't exciting enough and nothing will carry over anyway. It's a nice gesture for the hardcore.

I do want want the difficulty to ramp up. Most of us blow through content as soon as it is released.

Many people (in this thread and outside) consider P2W to mean that people who spend money on microtransactions can get gear and boosts that are potentially unobtainable by someone who doesn't spend that money, and gives them a definite advantage. Now people can easily buy packages and mass buy engrams for a specific gear set and keep buying that gear to max tier rolls on it. Meanwhile, a free player can get three chances at getting a single piece of armor from a random armor set per week.

In Destiny, it's not nearly as bad as games like CoD: IW, but it's still there and it's still a shitty practice.

Pay to Win means paying for gear that makes you subtantially stronger than gear that you gain from playing the game.

It doesn't matter what your gear is if you get outplayed and literally the only content where that slightly matters is Trials, which awards you nothing more than loot that is slightly different (not better) than other gear.

Pay to Win matters in shit like MMOs that have Faction Wars that control vital resources or gear/weapons/items needed for endgame.

None of that applies here.

Perfect rolls on weapons will make a difference only for the .1% of top tier players, in Trials, when they face each other.

You're making a mountain out of a molehill on this.

Any pay to win aspect of the game has been rather inconspicuous up to this point. Then again, the only pay to win mechanism is buying boxes for LL3 armor until you get you slightly better rolls on half of your actual loadout, since artifacts and exotics are exempt and high-tier class items are sold through vendors with some regularity.

Now, though, I just don't know. People are going to be able to spend money on LL3 armor until they get slightly better rolls on half their loadout. Not sure how much slipperier this slope can get before Destiny 2.

Any pay to win aspect of the game has been rather inconspicuous up to this point. Then again, the only pay to win mechanism is buying boxes for LL3 armor until you get you slightly better rolls on half of your actual loadout, since artifacts and exotics are exempt and high-tier class items are sold through vendors with some regularity.

Now, though, I just don't know. People are going to be able to spend money on LL3 armor until they get slightly better rolls on half their loadout. Not sure how much slipperier this slope can get before Destiny 2.

This right here is the main idea of what I'm trying to say. The precedent being set by them continuing to push the boundaries of what you can do with Silver was already concerning. Again, if you have the money it is currently more efficient to buy boxes and get good armor that way than by actually playing the game. It doesn't matter how much of an impact something like a perfect T12 build can have (for the record, in Trials having a 5-5-2 build on something like a Bladedancer can literally be the difference between a clutch nade or not), it's the fact that there is an impact on gameplay to begin with. I feel like people who read the term "Pay2Win" are narrowing too far into the "Win" part of it and not focusing on the "Pay2" part. As it stands, you can buy an advantage in Destiny. How far that goes in the future only time will tell but the amount of MTs that affect gameplay already in the game is telling.

Deku Tree

This right here is the main idea of what I'm trying to say. The precedent being set by them continuing to push the boundaries of what you can do with Silver was already concerning. Again, if you have the money it is currently more efficient to buy boxes and get good armor that way than by actually playing the game. It doesn't matter how much of an impact something like a perfect T12 build can have (for the record, in Trials having a 5-5-2 build on something like a Bladedancer can literally be the difference between a clutch nade or not), it's the fact that there is an impact on gameplay to begin with. I feel like people who read the term "Pay2Win" are narrowing too far into the "Win" part of it and not focusing on the "Pay2" part. As it stands, you can buy an advantage in Destiny. How far that goes in the future only time will tell but the amount of MTs that affect gameplay already in the game is telling.

In a nutshell. People are handwaving it by saying that you need to spend large amounts of money to get a slight advantage and because of that its not p2w- but p2w is p2w no matter how slight it is. They have been skirting around with it, and theyve gone down the slope further and further and continue to do so.

Saying stuff like "well its only a super tiny advantage to have a perfectly rolled set in Trials therefore its not p2w" is head sticking in the sand level of denial.

Advantage how exactly? Because it matters.

The person playing 16 hrs a day has an advantage over the person playing 4 hrs a week.

The person who gets luckier drops has an advantage over the person who has shit luck.

But is that advantage *meaningful*? In Destiny, it is not.

The problem isn't that I'm narrowing the definition. Especially as it's the original definition for the term. The problem is the broadening of it so that people can justify complaining that someone else got something in less time than they did even though it affects no except the player who had the disposible cash for it.

I mean this matters less in Destiny than it does in MOBA's where buying better heroes makes a difference. Here, the difference is seriously microscopic.

The person playing 16 hrs a day has an advantage over the person playing 4 hrs a week.

The person who gets luckier drops has an advantage over the person who has shit luck.

The problem isn't that I'm narrowing the definition. Especially as it's the original definition for the term. The problem is the broadening of it so that people can justify complaining that someone else got something in less time than they did even though it affects no except the player who had the disposible cash for it.

I mean this matters less in Destiny than it does in MOBA's where buying better heroes makes a difference. Here, the difference is seriously microscopic.
The poster above you said what I would have responded with to this post so I'll just leave it at that.

Look at it this way. Let's say Lupo created a new character and reached him to level max level. Then he decided, as a streamer, to put in $100 to buy gear until he got perfectly rolled gear. Let's say at dollar point $75 he got all the perfect sets.

Now, for a pro, for someone who knows how to play the game, each disc. point and each int. point matters. They can make more use of having slightly more points than your average joe. For a pro, that difference is huge.

That is P2W. You try to frame the argument as 'Well if people spend that much money they're probably not that good at the game so therefore not a p2w' but that's fallacious, and that's moving goalposts.

Like I said, p2w is p2w. No matter how small it is.

Shiv47

Having taken a break from Destiny to play Horizon, I find that I don't really care that much about these updates. I'll check them out, but I can't see grinding much of this stuff for an emblem or two, unless they carry over.

LTWood12

I don't like the MT Armor, but i find it far short of pay-to-win. I could spend a grand on that shit and it does nothing to make me a better player. is that one little extra tier of strength really going to make a difference in 99.9% of situations i'm in? No.

The iron banner armor that's sold everytime now almost always has a 99-100% option. It's literally easier to earn this stuff in-game.

The poster above you said what I would have responded with to this post so I'll just leave it at that.

Breezy has been beating the "p2w" drum since he heard about micro-transactions and before we even knew what they were. He has the biggest case of Chicken Little of anyone whose regularly posted in the OTs.

Look at it this way. Let's say Lupo created a new character and reached him to level max level. Then he decided, as a streamer, to put in $100 to buy gear until he got perfectly rolled gear. Let's say at dollar point $75 he got all the perfect sets.

Now, for a pro, for someone who knows how to play the game, each disc. point and each int. point matters. They can make more use of having slightly more points than your average joe. For a pro, that difference is huge.

That is P2W. You try to frame the argument as 'Well if people spend that much money they're probably not that good at the game so therefore not a p2w' but that's fallacious, and that's moving goalposts.

Like I said, p2w is p2w. No matter how small it is.

What advantage does it ACTUALLY give him? An edge in Trials *which is basically cosmetics* as there is no statistical advantage to that gear. Trials is for bragging rights amd completionists and since every above average streamer does carries constantly, even the bragging rights mean little.

I didn't frame the argument as "if you buy them, you suck." I said that the minor difference a mix/maxed roll plays in terms of statistical advantage will only make a difference in the outcome of a Trials match for the top .1% of players and even then only when they play each other.

If you can't understand how that is different then discussing the advantage of a single point of int or disc isn't an angle you should argue.

Anyone who doesn't like the silver situation is obviously free to dislike or hate it. But making sky is falling posts and misrepresenting what the ACTUAL effect on the game will be is disingenious and unnecessary.

Slippery slope is a fallacy. If Bungie goes true pay 2 win, it will because they decided to leap into it. It's not a result of minor moves.

And IF Bungie goes true pay 2 win, then I'll decide whether or not I want to continue playing at that point. I still enjoy the game and Silver + Rank with a Vendor = LL 3 gear does absolutely zero to affect that. If my enjoyment is negatively impacted, then I'll be upset. Not over a weird pseudo-moral stance based on a misunderstanding of game stats and competition.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Wait, they're adding back the Ghost Ghost and the Firewolf Mask to the new Treasure of Ages?

YES. I missed out on them thanks to getting screwed by a Silver purchase and Bungie not fixing it in time for the event to end.

(It still never got fixed. I bought $20 in Silver and never received it. Bungie ignored all my requests for help.)

Breezy has been beating the "p2w" drum since he heard about micro-transactions and before we even knew what they were. He has the biggest case of Chicken Little of anyone whose regularly posted in the OTs.

What advantage does it ACTUALLY give him? An edge in Trials *which is basically cosmetics* as there is no statistical advantage to that gear. Trials is for bragging rights amd completionists and since every above average streamer does carries constantly, even the bragging rights mean little.

I didn't frame the argument as "if you buy them, you suck." I said that the minor difference a mix/maxed roll plays in terms of statistical advantage will only make a difference in the outcome of a Trials match for the top .1% of players and even then only when they play each other.

If you can't understand how that is different then discussing the advantage of a single point of int or disc isn't an angle you should argue.

Anyone who doesn't like the silver situation is obviously free to dislike or hate it. But making sky is falling posts and misrepresenting what the ACTUAL effect on the game will be is disingenious and unnecessary.

Slippery slope is a fallacy. If Bungie goes true pay 2 win, it will because they decided to leap into it. It's not a result of minor moves.

And IF Bungie goes true pay 2 win, then I'll decide whether or not I want to continue playing at that point. I still enjoy the game and Silver + Rank with a Vendor = LL 3 gear does absolutely zero to affect that. If my enjoyment is negatively impacted, then I'll be upset. Not over a weird pseudo-moral stance based on a misunderstanding of game stats and competition.

The slippery slope is real tho.

It went from emotes.
To armor.
To cosmetic appearances.

Being able to min/max armor is important for stat tryhards, and being able to buy it in order to get the perfect roll is a form of p2w, no matter how small that advantage is.(you keep saying there is no statistical advantage to perfectly rolled armor, yet then go on to say it only affects the .1% of the top rofl..nice statistic pulled outta no where.)

Not to mention by allowing a player to buy armor from vendors using silver dust is bypassing their ridiculously limited legendary mark system...is really stupid and it's really showing bungies true colors. We can only hope that it's only because Destiny 1 is going to be dead after 2 comes out, and therefore they're throwing people who want to pay for gear a bone...

Top Bottom