• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT44| A Community in Discord

so since I'm on the road, I figured I would check on the game via Vita remote play, just to check on some of the Gunsmith stuff and maybe do some bounty solo (since aiming with Vita's control for any real game play is basically an excic). a PSN friend message me and ask me if I want to do weekly strikes. I figured I would like to join but did warn him about me playing on Vita. we ended up playing through 3 strikes with relatively no trouble and I was actually preforming better then the other guy in the team too (thou to be fair, that was the friend of the guy who invited me and I was told he's super sleepy and can't focus). we ended up finishing Nightfall and even finished the sunrise bounty. then we went on to do some Control and I ended up placing only 2nd to last (last place was the sleepy guy lol) and I had a pretty good time all things considered. just figured I would share this funny experience with you all. please resume your routine shooting of the Fallen/Hive/Vex/Cabal/Taken/other Guardians.

The slippery slope is real tho.

It went from emotes.
To armor.
To cosmetic appearances.

Being able to min/max armor is important for stat tryhards, and being able to buy it in order to get the perfect roll is a form of p2w, no matter how small that advantage is.(you keep saying there is no statistical advantage to perfectly rolled armor, yet then go on to say it only affects the .1% of the top rofl..nice statistic pulled outta no where.)

Not to mention by allowing a player to buy armor from vendors using silver dust is bypassing their ridiculously limited legendary mark system...is really stupid and it's really showing bungies true colors. We can only hope that it's only because Destiny 1 is going to be dead after 2 comes out, and therefore they're throwing people who want to pay for gear a bone...

It was Emotes and Cosmetics initially. Then people wanted to be able to use the cosmetic stuff, so they made them LL 3 stuff that could be infused. It was one change.

People complained about the infusion system so Bungie did away with the halfway gain and made it a full gain.

All these things you're complaining about were requested by the community. Just like bringing back the xp and fire buff from Nightfall. Just like legacy PvP map lists. Just like Private PvP games.

The slippery slope is in your mind.

.1% is a figure of speech meant to convey that it's the absolute upper echelon of players. Legendary Marks aren't being bypassed as you would need LL 400 gear to infuse in your perfect roll scenario, so Legendary Marks are moot at that point anyways. Either you use Marks to buy gear to infuse or you already have better gear.

In fact, as it was already pointed out, the silver vendor gear needs not only Vendor Rank but you also need high level gear to infuse into it. So the vast, vast, VAST majority of the grind every player has to go through still must be gone through for any new player. Established players are just that. Established. And have already grinding an insane amount of content.

You seriously have to really WANT to be upset about something to be upset about this.

It constantly amazes me how people can find reasons to complain about free content being added to a game they enjoy.

It's NeoGAF, we hate e'rything.

No point in starting a quest I can't finish, since I don't play PVP at all.

Do you play PvP in any game? I skipped PvP in Y1 because I didn't think it would be for me but quests drew me in and after a dozen games I ended up enjoying it.

It was Emotes and Cosmetics initially. Then people wanted to be able to use the cosmetic stuff, so they made them LL 3 stuff that could be infused. It was one change.

People complained about the infusion system so Bungie did away with the halfway gain and made it a full gain.

All these things you're complaining about were requested by the community. Just like bringing back the xp and fire buff from Nightfall. Just like legacy PvP map lists. Just like Private PvP games.

The slippery slope is in your mind.

.1% is a figure of speech meant to convey that it's the absolute upper echelon of players. Legendary Marks aren't being bypassed as you would need LL 400 gear to infuse in your perfect roll scenario, so Legendary Marks are moot at that point anyways. Either you use Marks to buy gear to infuse or you already have better gear.

In fact, as it was already pointed out, the silver vendor gear needs not only Vendor Rank but you also need high level gear to infuse into it. So the vast, vast, VAST majority of the grind every player has to go through still must be gone through for any new player. Established players are just that. Established. And have already grinding an insane amount of content.

You seriously have to really WANT to be upset about something to be upset about this.

The half way point for infusion was bad through and through. The xp buff and what not are irrelevant to this discussion. The first 3 levels of vendor are relatively easy to grind out, but that doesnt necessarily mean youll have all the gear youll need to make that fact, as you say, moot.

Either way, what started with dance emotes, ended up with gear that can have perks or stats perfectly rolled. There is a slope there no matter how much you say their isnt.

The half way point for infusion was bad through and through. The xp buff and what not are irrelevant to this discussion. The first 3 levels of vendor are relatively easy to grind out, but that doesnt necessarily mean youll have all the gear youll need to make that fact, as you say, moot.

Either way, what started with dance emotes, ended up with gear that can have perks or stats perfectly rolled. There is a slope there no matter how much you say their isnt.

And the sky is pink because technically light emcompasses all colors. Nevermind how absorbtion and reflection of the color spectrum works. It's irrelevant and I'm right because I say so.

We're talking bout microtransactions and you bring up xp buffs rofl

I brought up examples of Bungie changing things at the communities request to support the fact that infusing the formerly cosmetic armor is only even possible because the community asked for it.

You seriously having that much trouble understanding commonly used writing techniques?

I brought up examples of Bungie changing things at the communities request to support the fact that infusing the formerly cosmetic armor is only even possible because the community asked for it.

You seriously having that much trouble understanding commonly used writing techniques?

....and? This is still irrelevant to the fact that there is a definite slope in the microtransactions. What bungie does or does not with infusion is irrelevant to that.

You having trouble staying on subject, buddy?

....and? This is still irrelevant to the fact that there is a definite slope in the microtransactions. What bungie does or does not with infusion is irrelevant to that.

You having trouble staying on subject, buddy?

I've pointed out multiple times the specifics that illustrate there is no slippery slope. Your response thus far has been to ignore the facts and say it exists because you say so, or to misconstrue some minor literary aspect of my post. There's nothing more for me to say because you haven't brought up a single salient point to support your argument.

I've pointed out multiple times the specifics that illustrate there is no slippery slope. Your response thus far has been to ignore the facts and say it exists because you say so, or to misconstrue some minor literary aspect of my post. There's nothing more for me to say because you haven't brought up a single salient point to support your argument.

Your points are nothing more then "but everyone already plays so much it doesnt matter!" And "this only affects the .000001% of trials players!". You have not made a substantial argument worth a rebuttal with anything, other more than pointing out it went from emotes>uninfusable race gear>infusable gear>vendor gear buyable with money.

Theres your slope. And thats all I need to say.

The MTs in game have evolved overtime and thats an objective fact. Whether or not they go in a direction of something that crosses the line is speculation. I think as far as MTs go, Bungie and Activision will continue to push until theres major blowback. As they are now, I think being able to 'buy' anything from that kiosk between the postmaster and Tess with Silver Dust is a good middle ground for people like me who will never spend a single penny on MTs.

Ghazi

If you could buy a Year 1 Thorn with only real money I can't imagine how conflicted BreezyLimbo would be.

Just like the first big microtransaction drop, it's shitty, but a non-issue.

If you could buy a Year 1 Thorn with only real money I can't imagine how conflicted BreezyLimbo would be.

Just like the first big microtransaction drop, it's shitty, but a non-issue.

......I would come back to playing Destiny 24/7 if I could buy the original thorn.

Melchiah

Do you play PvP in any game? I skipped PvP in Y1 because I didn't think it would be for me but quests drew me in and after a dozen games I ended up enjoying it.

Nope. I tried it early on in Destiny, but it's just not my cup of tea. I played a bit of PVP back in the UT2003 days, but didn't really enjoy it, eventhough I did pretty well at times. I even managed to hold my ground for half an hour in Double Domination, when I was alone against two players, but I just preferred to play against bots, and still do.

FyreWulff

Just caught up to the fact that they're reducing the total playlists down to 6. non DLC owners can only play the currently Weekly playlist.

Trying to clear my first hard mode for WoTM and I was wondering, for Aksis challenge mode do you have to slam the plates before the empowered player stuns Aksis?

Deku Tree

Trying to clear my first hard mode for WoTM and I was wondering, for Aksis challenge mode do you have to slam the plates before the empowered player stuns Aksis?

Pretty much. As long as you get the supercharged credit for the slam on the screen then it counts. Sometimes there is a second or two overlap that is allowed. But if the empowered slams too quickly, and the slam is prevented, then yes it can mess up a run.

Is D2 still on schedule for a release this year?!

Rumor has it if it doesn't come out, Activision gets to own part of Bungie. So it will come out even if its not finished... Lol. That's just a rumor though.

We will know more at E3, I'm sure. But right now everyone expects D2 out around Sept.

Deku Tree

Rumor has it if it doesn't come out, Activision gets to own part of Bungie. So it will come out even if its not finished... Lol. That's just a rumor though.

We will know more at E3, I'm sure. But right now everyone expects D2 out around Sept.

BTW That Rumor was officially publicly denied by Bungie.

Have you guys thought about what weapons you are going to take into

The VOG and Crota? Primary Secondary and heavy? Its been so long I don't even remember what I rocked in VOG, I know Ice3 Breaker, VOC/Fatebringer, and G horn. I don't know what this time around is going to be like. Are we going to be using Machine guns on Atheon again?

Whats Crota going to be like weapon wise?

Shoudl be interesting.

Just waiting for the update. Only loged in for a quick run the other morning. Thank you Kadey and Prince for the NF x 3. Kadey stealing all the best loot 😀
Until then, Horizon is my addiction

If I could have original year 1 Hawkmoon with no phantom bullets again...

I could always respect Hawkmoon in pvp. I never liked using it myself, but I could respect it's two hit kill. It was such a math battle in Trials when the hand cannons were the meta, knowing how many thorn shots you can take, knowing if they were using a hawkmoon due to the damage done given the distance...those days were fun.

glaurung

Have you guys thought about what weapons you are going to take into

The VOG and Crota? Primary Secondary and heavy? Its been so long I don't even remember what I rocked in VOG, I know Ice3 Breaker, VOC/Fatebringer, and G horn. I don't know what this time around is going to be like. Are we going to be using Machine guns on Atheon again?

Whats Crota going to be like weapon wise?

Shoudl be interesting.
For VoG you want a VoG primary: either the new light level Vision of Confluence, Timepiece or Epilogue. This is solely because of Oracles. Of course, if they get rid of Oracles (which I doubt), you can take any good PvE scout rifle or hand cannon into it. As for heavy - Sleeper Simulant all the way. If Atheon DPS phase is the same, the Black Spindle is also very useful for sustained DPS.

Crota would be 50/50 rocket launcher and heavy machine gun. No idea how they intend to change up the Deathsinger and Crota fights, so no real idea yet.

For VoG you want a VoG primary: either the new light level Vision of Confluence, Timepiece or Epilogue. This is solely because of Oracles. Of course, if they get rid of Oracles (which I doubt), you can take any good PvE scout rifle or hand cannon into it. As for heavy - Sleeper Simulant all the way. If Atheon DPS phase is the same, the Black Spindle is also very useful for sustained DPS.

Crota would be 50/50 rocket launcher and heavy machine gun. No idea how they intend to change up the Deathsinger and Crota fights, so no real idea yet.

I really hope that the challenge mode of Crota requires the sword to be held by different players. So if you've damage Crota with Sword one, Sword two must be used by a different player.

Landford

Banned
Is still worth to start Taken King on ps4? Never played Destiny before, how is the health of the game so far? Also, do I need PLus to play online?

Is still worth to start Taken King on ps4? Never played Destiny before, how is the health of the game so far? Also, do I need PLus to play online?

You do need plus. Whether it's worth it depends on how much you would enjoy playing the game. Population is still good but not at it's apex. There's a ton of content that you can play solo. Raids need a group though. I haven't raided in forever so I don't know about how difficult it is to get a group together.

Oh no. I did some reading and saw that going flawless in trials is part of the new book. Never been. I'm not the greatest at pvp so I'd only get 7 or 8 matches in before losing.

Guess I'm going to LFG this weekend to fit in someone's backpack.

Oh no. I did some reading and saw that going flawless in trials is part of the new book. Never been. I'm not the greatest at pvp so I'd only get 7 or 8 matches in before losing.

Guess I'm going to LFG this weekend to fit in someone's backpack.

Just in case you weren't aware, it's not necessary to complete trials to complete that page. Good luck though!

Can you explain? If there is a checkbox for getting to the lighthouse but I have never been, how can I finish the page?

Basically the page will be counted as complete even without the Lighthouse. Bungie designed it that way because they know that many people will want to complete the book but won't be able to get to the Lighthouse due to the nature of the game mode.

So you can get credit fornthe page and complete the book without having to do it.

Now if you literally want to have every box checked off for desires sake, then yes, you'll have to get there.

Basically the page will be counted as complete even without the Lighthouse. Bungie designed it that way because they know that many people will want to complete the book but won't be able to get to the Lighthouse due to the nature of the game mode.

So you can get credit fornthe page and complete the book without having to do it.

Now if you literally want to have every box checked off for desires sake, then yes, you'll have to get there.

Ah I see. I missed the both streams so when I was looking through forums I was getting all panicky. Thanks for the heads up. Back to the Zelda grind for me.

Basically, old Hung Jury or new raid scout, Spindle and SS/rocket/machine gun of your choice. After that, grab one of the VoG weapons and never look back.

Crota fight; Deathsinger and everything else in there is sword food. Rocket as normal for the rest.

I really hope that the challenge mode of Crota requires the sword to be held by different players. So if you've damage Crota with Sword one, Sword two must be used by a different player.

This would still only be a max of 2 players for most groups.

That reminds me, I should go get a pair of Dont Touch Me's.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Playlist consolidation forces these situations. They're probably lower on the population totem pole.

I get that for some of the other modes but Control and Clash are really the two main PvP modes. It seems very strange to alternate them.

Has the player base shrunk that much? I personally don't feel like it's harder than it was a year ago to find people in Control or Clash.

FyreWulff

I get that for some of the other modes but Control and Clash are really the two main PvP modes. It seems very strange to alternate them.

Has the player base shrunk that much? I personally don't feel like it's harder than it was a year ago to find people in Control or Clash.

Last update, so they're doing the consolidation now instead of waiting until later and possibly be locked out manpower wise.

their previous Halo titles had a final consolidation/reduction in their playlists about this amount of time from the next release.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Last update, so they're doing the consolidation now instead of waiting until later and possibly be locked out manpower wise.

their previous Halo titles had a final consolidation/reduction in their playlists about this amount of time from the next release.

Makes sense I guess.

I don't understand why they didn't apply that same idea to the non-Raid PvE activities that don't have matchmaking. So frustrating.

ocean

Banned
No, you said you can simply go buy gear until you get good rolls. That's false. You have to buy other items, break them down, then hope you get what you're looking for from an engram, then infuse it.

On top of that, you're almost ever (if at all) getting God rolls from the treasure armors anyway.

I don't think you realize how much money it would actually take to do what you're saying. Seriously, no one is doing that.
You don't have to spend money though. The Rise of Iton book has free LL3 armor you can take out infuse and dismantle ad infinitum until you get what you want. I've used it to get T12 4-4-4 builds on my Warlock, decked out with the fire ornaments (which I haven't paid for either, just opened all the free boxes weekly), with Solar Arc *and* Void armor on my chest (rolled until I got 98%+ chests in all 3 elements).

The catch is many of the perks on that free armor are fixed (arms are always HC reload, which is what I use anyways, chest is always Shotgun ammo, boots are always rocket). So you could theoretically pay your way into an alternative build that better suits your style buying boxes with unfixed perks.

The catch here is, after a certain amount of tries the material requirements become non-trivial. You *will* run out of glimmer and armor materials and Marks before your cash money hoard is infused and tested for quality. So even when you pay to bypass the grind...you still gotta grind.

Basically farming boxes is the worst way to get a T12 build if all you really want is the perks. You do this if you want good perks and want your outfit to match that specific set you're buying. Otherwise farming something like Heroic Strikes where you get plenty of engram drops, glimmer, mats, Rep for rank ups and all that is a far more efficient way to do it.

Or you can, you know, just buy stuff from the IB vendor - all Efrideet armor rolls are T12. And rotating stock (Iron Lord artifacts, subclass quest and speaker class items, Xur roll son occasion like this weekend's Glasshouse, Shiro's class items occasionally), as well as some fixed stock vendor rolls for armor can be T12.

Even with guns the whole "I need a god roll to compete" thing is iffy. There's usually been avenues for non-RNG great guns. We all want that Rifled+Rangefinder Luna but honestly the vendor Palindrome is 99% as good. When Sidearms became comp it took like 5 minutes to realize FWC sells a near perfect one. Vendor Hawksaw was competitive, and when Clever Dragon ruled the day it dropped like actual candy from IB. Some stuff is tricker because of no perfect vendor equivalent like a good Matador (Last Ditch is worse), but then again there's no P2W path to get around that.

My monthly "what's going on in the OP?" rant will end by summarizing: there's 0 ways to get a meaningful gameplay advantage in destiny through Microtransactions. If you want to pay to win, join a Sherpa's Patreon or something because nothing else will work.

Ramirez

My kid has been trying to play this on his Xbox One for a week now and can't get past the "connecting" screen after the Bungie splash page. I uninstalled and reinstalled everything today and it still didn't fix the problem. Our NAT is open...I'm really at a loss as to what to do, anyone know any solutions to this issue?

edit: Fixed it...it was because his other controller was connected to the console. Weird.

Basically, old Hung Jury or new raid scout, Spindle and SS/rocket/machine gun of your choice. After that, grab one of the VoG weapons and never look back.

Crota fight; Deathsinger and everything else in there is sword food. Rocket as normal for the rest.

This would still only be a max of 2 players for most groups.

That reminds me, I should go get a pair of Dont Touch Me's.

Late response but if its anything like when Crota first came out, it will take 5 cycles to take him out. After people outleveled him it took way less.

Late response but if its anything like when Crota first came out, it will take 5 cycles to take him out. After people outleveled him it took way less.

Just checking, is that right? Funny that it's so long ago my memory is hazy :) i thought it was 4 or 5 cycles at the start when people were underlevelled? And then dropped to 2 cycles once the sword bearer was at level?

I *think* this was back in the day when one light level meant a 20 percent or 30 percent reduction in DPS?

I have a feeling the first raid group to complete it did so by having a 7th member. They had been outside of the raid levelling up and when they couldn't get Crota killed they brought him in as sword bearer for the extra DPS....

I've kind of missed chatting to people on that window ledge waiting for heavy ammo cooldowns to wear off. *sigh*

Top Bottom