• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

Never been so frustrated.

Spent hours on raid boss with no deafeat.

Drained me. I was killing like 50 supplements and would just watch my team mates die round after round...

Dunno if I'm even going to go back to the game.
I know the feeling, 4 hours without progress and I feel both physically and mentally exhausted. I love the raid but it's seriously hard work trying to overcome the odds with a bad or under levelled group.
(and I'm not criticising my raid groups here, the struggle to crack the heroic raid is precisely the challenge I had hoped this game would deliver, and finally beating it felt amazing)

Carn82

So. It will be a long time before we'll see a "Destiny 2". Assuming this franchise is profitable; will there be a sequel? Will we be able to transfer our characters, or will we have to grind all over again? Of will there be WoW style expansions / revamps? (I know this is all up in the air, but might be fun to talk about).

kaiiri

So. It will be a long time before we'll see a "Destiny 2". Assuming this franchise is profitable; will there be a sequel? Will we be able to transfer our characters, or will we have to grind all over again? Of will there be WoW style expansions / revamps? (I know this is all up in the air, but might be fun to talk about).

i feel they will go the WoW style. especially since they're using the word "expansions" instead of DLC.

if there ever was a destiny 2 i think it would be different enough to where it wouldn't make sense for our original characters to transfer over. if anything we would get some sort of "extra" for having played the original.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
i feel they will go the WoW style. especially since they're using the word "expansions" instead of DLC.

if there ever was a destiny 2 i think it would be different enough to where it wouldn't make sense for our original characters to transfer over. if anything we would get some sort of "extra" for having played the original.

I was hoping they'd go WoW style but I think the reception to this game has ensured they wont.

Destiny 2 will come out 2-3 years max, will right a lot of wrongs and probably be closer to the original vision.

My Destiny routine has been reduced to opening up the Tower on B.net every few hours and seeing if they have any rare Fusion Rifles in stock. I'm sick and tired of Bounties and farming Public Events.

DjRalford

I was hoping they'd go WoW style but I think the reception to this game has ensured they wont.

Destiny 2 will come out 2-3 years max, will right a lot of wrongs and probably be closer to the original vision.

Well they could always go with vex changing the past meaning everything changes in the future.

They can do whatever they like with a new story then.

kaiiri

all of the things that are being complained about (in-game chat, easier group making, etc) .. couldn't all of those be changed via updates though WoW style? (not that WoW is the only one that does it but you know..)

They're already talking about adding better chat options for us coming up and such, i could see them adding more of the features we all want / need in the future as well. they put so much money into this just seems like a bad decision to drop it after a year or three.

Not sure if it has been posted (this OT moves fast!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgCJjNjZl28#t=84

Basically, the video is of a Level 4 dominating the Iron Banner. Bungie are asking for feedback on the balance and how the difference in weapons/armour gear really doesn't mean that much.

Either this level 4 is a phenomenal player, or the 'better' gear means very little.
I'd say phenomenal player, everyone I have seen under level 20 has been destroyed.

Panthers

Never been so frustrated.

Spent hours on raid boss with no deafeat.

Drained me. I was killing like 50 supplements and would just watch my team mates die round after round...

Dunno if I'm even going to go back to the game.

I havent done the raid yet, but from playing MMOs, if you realize that your team is not learning from their previous failiings, you need to dump them. Spending all night doing the same boss over and over when you are doing it right but others keep making the same mistake will make you hate a game that you love playing.

Just take a little break and get a better team next time.

rdrr gnr

all of the things that are being complained about (in-game chat, easier group making, etc) .. couldn't all of those be changed via updates though WoW style? (not that WoW is the only one that does it but you know..)

They're already talking about adding better chat options for us coming up and such, i could see them adding more of the features we all want / need in the future as well. they put so much money into this just seems like a bad decision to drop it after a year or three.
All those change are nice but some of the changes need to be larger and more fundamental. Something that can't necessarily be done through updates or "expansions." I think some of the limitations with this game have to do with the game being cross-gen, though I know it won't happen, it would be nice if they improved the game as they can in the coming months while making sweeping changes at the design and engine level for the numbered sequel. A cross-gen game is fine for the time being, but it would be unfortunate to think a game two or three years from now will inherent some of the limitations of 10 year old technology.
I'd say phenomenal player, everyone I have seen under level 20 has been destroyed.
Not really. I just checked his stats and he is above average, but by no means phenomenal. Whether that individual game is "representative" isn't as important as whether his overall point stands. The Iron Banner is a non-event, just like the Queen's Wrath. Imagine what a similar level disparity would like in PvE. It's dumb. You can be any level really and do fine against any level, really.

kaiiri

All those change are nice but some of the changes need to be larger and more fundamental. Something that can't necessarily be done through updates or "expansions." I think some of the limitations with this game have to do with the game being cross-gen, though I know it won't happen, it would be nice if they improved the game as they can in the coming months while making sweeping changes at the design and engine level for the numbered sequel. A cross-gen game is fine for the time being, but it would be unfortunate to think a game two or three years from now will inherent some of the limitations of 10 year old technology.

hmm. that is very true. i didn't even consider the fact destiny was created as a cross-gen game. especially given what they "could" add would most definitely be limited by the ps3 / 360. imagining how much better the game could be made specifically for next-gen consoles makes me want a destiny 2 even more now. lol.

Basically, the video is of a Level 4 dominating the Iron Banner. Bungie are asking for feedback on the balance and how the difference in weapons/armour gear really doesn't mean that much.

Either this level 4 is a phenomenal player, or the 'better' gear means very little.

hahahahahaha.

wow bungie, what are you playing at.

Watch them announce it as a bug like with the bullet sponge bosses.

Mrgamer

hmm. that is very true. i didn't even consider the fact destiny was created as a cross-gen game. especially given what they "could" add would most definitely be limited by the ps3 / 360. imagining how much better the game could be made specifically for next-gen consoles makes me want a destiny 2 even more now. lol.

This game could do with a 60fps update in the future.I get headaches after an hour :(

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

The problem with expanding this game is that whatever you put out will have to be at least 20+ (probably 30+) so even if you make those missions original and rewarding, and add enough to fix that experience, all the new players still have to play this version of Destiny to get there. And this version of Destiny is always going to be repetitive, devoid of any story & characters and based around going through the same areas over and over again.

WoW had a universally loved base to build from, their base game hooked people in, Destinys base game will always drive a significant proportion of people away.

You might think Bungie could just remake or fix the 0-20 experience but then they are making 2 games, one of new players and another for current players who expect at least as much new content for their existing characters. They are better off making one game, Destiny 2, that everyone gets the same experience from (and they get another $60 from you for).

NeOak

Man, I want a legendary chest that has both extra ammo for ARs and Snipers ;-;

Lets see when I can max that Monte Carlo.

Haines

Banned
I havent done the raid yet, but from playing MMOs, if you realize that your team is not learning from their previous failiings, you need to dump them. Spending all night doing the same boss over and over when you are doing it right but others keep making the same mistake will make you hate a game that you love playing.

Just take a little break and get a better team next time.

Sounds about right but like x10.

I did so much for the team in every way possible and got no appreciation for it even.

Love destiny but I'm done with doing strikes ext and getting 3x the work done as others at a minimum.

Time for a break.

I want one. :(

BzgShYFIMAAqZrQ.jpg

LiK

My Destiny routine has been reduced to opening up the Tower on B.net every few hours and seeing if they have any rare Fusion Rifles in stock. I'm sick and tired of Bounties and farming Public Events.

It's amazing how little variety we have with the bounties. It's like the easiest thing they could come up with but we get the same dozen objectives over and over. Is it hard for them to come up with more stuff to do?

Afrocious

Anyone interested in raiding on Heroic VoG today at around 6pm-7pm EDT? Got my alt Warlock to 20 and I can make her level 29 with my main's gear.

Gotta go to work now so I can't visit GAF in the next few hours. Send a FR to my PSN Afrodeeziyak. I'm on PS4.

hydruxo

Got my first piece of raid gear last night. Also got Shattered Vault Cloak for the 2nd time & Chatterwhite for the 3rd time. They really need some kind of fail safe to prevent getting the same rewards from the raid over and over...

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

The Gear is really for PvE, all those bonuses and Light+
There's no distinction on gear pieces

I really thought in the Alpha that Crucible Gear was Crucible oriented, Vanguard for Strikes/Missions/Raids oriented

The Light+ really throws off people perspective, your still 20 for PvP in a sense
So all the defense you grab from 20+ doesn't really cut into formula, cause I'm guessing that huge 4 digit number your rocking is only PvE oriented, pass a certain threshold, survivability extends a little bit for the harder stuff

Crucible should have had it's own separate gear with certain abilities, swap to your Crucible gear for PvP, Vanguard gear for PvE
Then you could shift focus onto making abilities on gear matter more if they are more PvP oriented

Right now even a level 30 decked the fuck out from raid + hard raid drops can get killed by a level 1 I'm guessing if they aren't prepared or shot from the back
No formula in play that showcases an imbalance
Even when Bungie goes "Unbalanced Mode Unlocked"... it's the most balanced (community speaking wise)... LOL

Disadvantage should be a huge burden in Iron Banner
If you are 30 and the other player a level 4-6, the lower level dude should feel like he's shooting Atheon with a pea shooter
Now if the person is 30 and the other guy 25, there should be a small difference, nothing huge, but the higher level should just have that extra amount of survivability, cause they have earned it by getting to 30

I saw the video, I was like no fucking way
Took my Level 3 Titan into Iron Banner for shits n' giggles, it was fucking true
Get a nice ROF AR and just look for the sweet headshot sway and I jumped 1.5 levels, had a k/d of 1.58
Mind you this is me as a level 3 Titan Defender, with only Grenades unlocked, no jump/super
I had to go old school and run towards objective the long way

I beat level 28+ players, some Warlocks thought I was easy prey, but they must be like how the fuck does a noob kill me with that

But in iron banner a 20~ dmg auto rifle is doing what looks like the same sort of damage as a 250~ dmg auto rifle, against people with most likely over 1000 armour.

Normal crucible looking like that is fine, iron banner hardly changes anything, it's no more then an extra bullet or two for a kill with beginner gear.

Vereataes

Neo Member
Did the Nightfall last night with some Gaffers (Ultrajari was the psn).

Just wanted to say it was a good run, full of cheese and glitches. I somehow managed to glitch out the back of the platform and fell to my death.

Sorry I had to mute due to the GF calls. I had The Last Word drop at the end and trying to keep clam/hold in my excites as to not give away that I might have been mutlitasking with gaming and phone conversations was extremely difficult. Still, she was none the wiser and I got a Shiney.

Luckily I am a Hand Cannon user and having used it a little, while amazing for style (the animations are sweet), I'm not sure I could permanently run with it in PVE compared to my fully upgraded TDYK. In PVP though, once upgraded, I think it could be useful - Unzoomed short to mid range instead of a shotgun with the ability to zoom for longer range?

Does anyone have much experience with it?

Carn82

Yeah; I think it's hard to really upgrade some of the underlying systems. Updating the engine and making certain content current-gen only (a new starsystem perhaps?) might be do-able; but it would be hard to change certain mechanics.

It's amazing how little variety we have with the bounties. It's like the easiest thing they could come up with but we get the same dozen objectives over and over. Is it hard for them to come up with more stuff to do?

It's been like that since Halo: Reach. Bungie don't care.

E92 M3

Anyone up for doing Hard Raid starting from Gate Keepers around 6 PM EST. If so please PM so it doesn't get lost in the thread.

Xbox One

was playing with a friend last night, and wow.. i got teamed with some right fucking retards. 38 kills was my highest :) was glorious, we still lost though because the other players had a handfull of kills and ..lots of deaths.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Such wasted opportunity, could have used this as huge Exploration kind of thing, yet, every other day it's kill 2 enemies 20 with fusion rifle
Before it was a chore lining up fuckers to get just 1 kill, even if you can respawn the mobs quickly to try again

Pocket Infinity, run into group, hope it's an even count of enemies and not odd, hold down R1, walk away with 3-4 2 kills in 5 seconds, repeat, 5 minutes, your done

It's hilarious that my level 9 Titan and 6 Hunter are now getting the same stupid bounties already
I was thinking maybe the classes would get a little different treatment, not even that!

Crucible bounties are even worst, grind away like crazy for 15 Shotty 3 kills in a row without dying, then guess what, by the time you done and refresh is in, it's back...

rdrr gnr

Such wasted opportunity, could have used this as huge Exploration kind of thing, yet, every other day it's kill 2 enemies 20 with fusion rifle
Before it was a chore lining up fuckers to get just 1 kill, even if you can respawn the mobs quickly to try again

Pocket Infinity, run into group, hope it's an even count of enemies and not odd, hold down R1, walk away with 3-4 2 kills in 5 seconds, repeat, 5 minutes, your done

It's hilarious that my level 9 Titan and 6 Hunter are now getting the same stupid bounties already
I was thinking maybe the classes would get a little different treatment, not even that!

Crucible bounties are even worst, grind away like crazy for 15 Shotty 3 kills in a row without dying, then guess what, by the time you done and refresh is in, it's back...
The bounties neither compliment nor alter the way someone plays the game. They are just annoying and out of the way. It would be nice if there were tiers to the bounties or class specific bounties or faction bounties, but nope. Have fun getting fusion rifle kills. Oh, kill some Fallen majors. Oh... collect tears which basically means just kill people. The only time I've ever enjoyed doing a bounty is when they stacked.

LiK

Some of the bounties should've been tied to killing unique enemies so it feels like you're hunting down someone. But the closest we get are the same bosses we fought before. ARGH, so close.

Some of the bounties should've been tied to killing unique enemies so it feels like you're hunting down someone. But the closest we get are the same bosses we fought before. ARGH, so close.

I'd love a VIP mission with just hints to the location and no GPS. Maybe a symbol on his back, but not the big sign floating in the area above his head.

rugioh

Banned
Done the Raid (normal and hard), the Nightfall, the Weekly Heroic strike at Level 28, and Iron Banner is useless/broken.

What do I do now?

Play something else till Tuesday. I wish I wouldve gotten the raid done last night so I could just play Smash3DS throughout the weekend but we couldn't get him down.

There's lots of faults with Destiny, but the biggest, by far, is the lack of communication. Bungie is there, we know it, but it just takes them far too long to respond to anything. The Iron Banner video posted above won't be addressed until the Weekly Update, if we're lucky. I knew Iron Banner was suspect when I was pulling the same headshot damage on my Grim Citizen III as I did in regular crucible.

I managed to get raid gauntlets last night in my normal raid, complementing my raid legs and chest quite nicely. Thankfully I had the insight to take advantage of Xur and buy the exotic helm from him, as I thought that was going to be the hardest piece of raid gear to attain. I had to swap out my exotic gauntlets and go through the whole leveling process again on the temporary replacement gauntlets and helm, but it's certainly paid off. Level 30 here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom