• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deku Tree

There is no "hitting gaming side again"; new OTs are just made in Community.

Legendaries can roll for any element but Exotics are unique; Plan C is Arc.

Thanks! Actually I typed the wrong thing... I meant to ask about the Pocket Infinity. I have a Plan C with Arc, and a Legendary fusion rifle with void damage. So I just need the Pocket Infinity - Exotic Fusion Rifle with Solar damage, hopefully the next time I get an exotic weapon bounty... then I'll be able to pull out my fusion with any elemental damage that I need for the situation...

RMI

Banned
Yeah, exotic engrams of random class type are 23 motes.

is that the only worthwhile thing you can get with motes of light? I'm almost up to 23 and the idea of blowing them all to have a 66% chance of gear I can't use seems really really unappealing.

Needed shards last night, got energy instead.

I was so SO close to sharding my alt's armor so I could get those shards and hit level 28 with my main. But I didn't. I still have restraint. Good for me.

Is the extra chest (not the spirit bloom one) alongside the known three a myth on the raid? Was it a photoshop?

It's been confirmed by many that it exists. It's exact circumstances required to appear are being debated.

Many are claiming it's found by not letting the Templar teleport, or no wiping, or no deaths. But there are plenty of groups who fit only some or none of those criteria and have still found it.

My bet is it is random. Random chest spawn in one of 3/4 places in the raid. There are other Vex gate areas in the raid which look like they'd have chests (ie going to the left when you get to the jumping puzzle).

That's my theory at least.

Bizazedo

Pitch your tent boys, Community is our new Bastion!

Bastion...grr.....hate that map.

just played a Skirmish game where every single time we came upon the enemies one of them had a blue shield on their health. EVERY TIME. And it seemed like they had unlimited bubbles. That's just a cheap ass way to play.

Sounds like they were playing intelligently. Your rage should be more directed at whether that's intended.

realcZk

is that the only worthwhile thing you can get with motes of light? I'm almost up to 23 and the idea of blowing them all to have a 66% chance of gear I can't use seems really really unappealing.

Yep, the only other things you can purchase with motes are cosmetic stuff from the speaker.

I always buy engrams when Xur has them and spend all my motes. If I can't use it I'm more than happy to dismantle it for ass shards, I'm always short on ass shards.

RMI

Banned
Yep, the only other things you can purchase with motes are cosmetic stuff from the speaker.

guess i'm just going to save them in the hope that bungie implements something better to buy later. I hope there's no cap for how many you can have.

Bizazedo

My bet is it is random. Random chest spawn in one of 3/4 places in the raid. There are other Vex gate areas in the raid which look like they'd have chests (ie going to the left when you get to the jumping puzzle).

That's my theory at least.

Has anyone gotten anything out of it besides Shards or Energy, though? If not...eh, :effort:.

Kensuke

Looking for a team to do Iron Banner with. I'm sick of being stuck with randoms that quit all the time.

PSN: Wretched_Walrus

MADGAME

Are the ranks of the Fallen determined by size or is that coincidence? The ranking hierarchy seems to be:

Archon Priests
Kells
Servitors
Captains
Vandals
Dregs
Shanks

Has anyone gotten anything out of it besides Shards or Energy, though? If not...eh, :effort:.

Haven't seen any other rewards, much like the first chest of the raid. Who knows...we all know RNG is a fickle bitch, could just be that the small handful of groups who posted videos of it are full of the unfavored.

I can't believe someone hasn't realized that Iron Banner not giving rep for losses was a dumb as fuck idea. Don't they see how many people are skipping games? They claim to be always watching. Watching and laughing probably. I've had to leave games where I had the top score some person decides to leave. It only takes that one and then there's a domino effect. The people who replace them aren't going to stick around either.

It seems like each event reveals more of the depth of Bungie's ineptitude.

MADGAME

Damn Bungie, where is my MP mode where I can play as a Shank.

I was just going to suggest an "enemy mode" where one team are the villains. I would Wizard missile the crap out of someone!

At the very least, how about a horde mode? It would fit perfectly in this game!

Just discovered that iron banner rep requirements go from 100 to lvl 1 to 1200 to lvl 2

2x20-Drug-Testing-Animated-gif-the-office-8678029-325-187.gif

Seeing as how you get jack shit rep for a loss and a measly 30 for a win with the emblem and shader equipped, plus the bounties are the most obscure shit yet, I'm pretty much locked out of getting anything cool from this event since real life prevents me from sitting in front of my Xbox all weekend grinding to level 3, 30 rep at a time.

Just another frustrating decision by Bungie with this game.

That's so ridiculous.

You know, when I first started playing Destiny and used Hawkian's (extremely useful and excellent) guides, I was excited by the concept that Destiny is designed to be played on a weekly, not necessarily daily, basis.

However, there are so many design cues that reward, or require, daily play. Queen's Wrath, Iron Banner, daily rewards for public events (that include high level material that is required for leveling), as well as the amount of time it takes to rep ANYONE...all of it encourages playing frequently if you want access to the content.

Take Reputation. Need to rank up some rep? Do a ton of Patrol/Bounty/Public Events. But don't forget that your marks will max out at 200 AND you can only earn 100 a week. So after a certain point, you are hitting the caps for these, but still need the rep. Trying to earn rep for a limited time event? You're SOL.

Just discovered that iron banner rep requirements go from 100 to lvl 1 to 1200 to lvl 2

2x20-Drug-Testing-Animated-gif-the-office-8678029-325-187.gif

Seeing as how you get jack shit rep for a loss and a measly 30 for a win with the emblem and shader equipped, plus the bounties are the most obscure shit yet, I'm pretty much locked out of getting anything cool from this event since real life prevents me from sitting in front of my Xbox all weekend grinding to level 3, 30 rep at a time.

Just another frustrating decision by Bungie with this game.

So that's 40 wins. At 15m per match, that's 10 hours straight winning. I guess if you're good and mostly always walk away with a win, 1.5 hours per night for one week isn't too bad. If you aren't that good and walk away with a win half of the time, that's a real tough grind filled with failures.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, I think that's where the "loot problem" comes from, because clearly Bungie intended its game to be played that way, but somehow a lot of people seem to take it as another Diablo / Borderland and look down on those vendors. Heck, look at the number of people complaining about Xur's existence!
Bungie's mistake also probably comes from the fact that those vendors hardly sell a lot of things, and the vast majority of them are pvp related. They really should increase their inventory, and give them a rotation of some sort, that way people would start considering them as the "normal" option to gear themselves, and ease down on the random loots, seeing them as a nice bonus along the way.
Once again, it all comes down to a lack of content. ^^
yep I agree. People are have so engrained in their brains from all other games that loot from vendors is second or third tier compared to drops or rewards that a lot of people still don't realize in Destiny you should be focusing on getting your rep up and buying your equipment for the most part.

Destiny went against the norm and didn't really tell anyone and its confused a lot of people. And the confused people that are still relying on random drops and the RNG are getting frustrated.

It would definitely help if they added in more options to the vendors and didn't make the side factions require Crucible marks.
Absolutely agreed.
You know what's kind of surreal/hilarious? Leveling my Warlock last night, I hit 18, and the first time you get back to Orbit after reaching level 18 (which is the level at which earning marks is unlocked), the player is presented with this message that I honestly didn't even remember from my first playthrough.
"Legendary Gear unlocked." This message is so easily dismissed, most of us probably didn't even bother reading it all the way through. But it's fascinating because they really did express this pretty plainly; it doesn't say "Vendors with interesting wares are now available in the Tower! Find them to seek out new treasures!" It literally says "Legendary Gear Unlocked. Earn Vanguard and Crucible Marks." Plus the quickest ways to earn each currency type.

The message didn't land, though. I have taken the liberty of professionally editing this image to make it more descriptive and assist new players more effectively.
fixed! patch this shit bungie!

I can't believe someone hasn't realized that Iron Banner not giving rep for losses was a dumb as fuck idea. Don't they see how many people are skipping games? They claim to be always watching. Watching and laughing probably. I've had to leave games where I had the top score some person decides to leave. It only takes that one and then there's a domino effect. The people who replace them aren't going to stick around either.

It seems like each event reveals more of the depth of Bungie's ineptitude.

Calling it now:

Bungie addresses issues (quitting, level advantage being whack) in weekly update.

Says fixes are coming soon.

Iron banner extended by a week.

Am I a fool for giving them the benefit of the doubt?

Who
PS4: jayforone
What
Looking to do Raid on Heroic(Level 30).
When
Tonight Thursday October 9th at around 10pm CET (GMT+2; EST+6; PST+9)

I am a Level 29 Sunsinger Warlock, with good weapons.
Vibe is relaxed and everybody 28 and over is welcome (27 is a bit low imo for this. Sorry :))
H
Who's up for this?

Note: If you are looking to add me on PSN. Please put GAF or Heroic Raid in your message.

/

Klyka

Banned
We r aiming around 10-11 pm CET (4-5pm EST). Flexible trying to get a party full;

So far our Party is
jayhayabusa (jayforone on PSN)
death4romabove22
hydruxo

yeah I got time, I just did the normal raid yesterday, time to try the hard one.
PSN Klyka1 lvl 29 Hunter

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
However, there are so many design cues that reward, or require, daily play. Queen's Wrath, Iron Banner, daily rewards for public events (that include high level material that is required for leveling), as well as the amount of time it takes to rep ANYONE...all of it encourages playing frequently if you want access to the content.

Take Reputation. Need to rank up some rep? Do a ton of Patrol/Bounty/Public Events. But don't forget that your marks will max out at 200 AND you can only earn 100 a week. So after a certain point, you are hitting the caps for these, but still need the rep. Trying to earn rep for a limited time event? You're SOL.

I don't want to start the Destiny Defense Force, but this really isn't true. There was nothing about Queen's Wrath or IB that requires every day play - I didn't play Queen's Wrath after the 3rd day and I haven't set foot in IB yet. Public events take all of 3 minutes, literally - they are on a timer, and if you miss a day or 3 that's totally fine. You don't really lose anything.

All these reps are optional and aren't really a core part of the game. If you set a goal for yourself, and that requires every day play, that's a bit different than Bungie designing things where you have to log in daily for a few hours. The only daily event that I hate missing are the daily heroics because they are so easy for 2 shards/energies. But even if I do miss them, as with public events, I don't really lose anything permanent.

I actually don't mind that IB doesn't give points for losing. It makes sense. "Best of the best of the best, etc." I do mind that this thread got moved to Community...

So that's 40 wins. At 15m per match, that's 10 hours straight winning. I guess if you're good and mostly always walk away with a win, 1.5 hours per night for one week isn't too bad. If you aren't that good and walk away with a win half of the time, that's a real tough grind filled with failures.

Considering last night I spent about 3 hours being the top scorer on my teams and consistently losing due to whatever piss poor matchmaker Bungie has in this game, I can't say I'm overly pleased with Iron Banner right now. 2 Wins. In 3 hours. Being either the top scorer on my team or in the entire game.

What a fucking nightmare.

excowboy

You know what's kind of surreal/hilarious? Leveling my Warlock last night, I hit 18, and the first time you get back to Orbit after reaching level 18 (which is the level at which earning marks is unlocked), the player is presented with this message that I honestly didn't even remember from my first playthrough.

Has this been patched in though? Don't remember it myself!

DesertFox

That's so ridiculous.

You know, when I first started playing Destiny and used Hawkian's (extremely useful and excellent) guides, I was excited by the concept that Destiny is designed to be played on a weekly, not necessarily daily, basis.

Yep, same here. Grinding rep isn't terrible when you don't have only 7 days to do it. It's like Bungie didn't do the math to find out how long it would actually take for people with irl responsibilities to accomplish this.

Yes, but that's only to rank 2. It's probably another 2000 or 2500 to rank 3 in order to qualify for armor.

Bizazedo

The message didn't land, though. I have taken the liberty of professionally editing this image to make it more descriptive and assist new players more effectively.

I remember it, but I clicked to get rid of it quickly. Additionally, the bit about the strike playlist being the quickest way to get marks was a lie at the time. It's kind of hilarious when you look back on it.

Now...it's still probably not true unless you're rolling with a full fireteam and going as fast as possible through Tigers. Then it's probably true. But at the time? Nah.

Calling it now:

Bungie addresses issues (quitting, level advantage being whack) in weekly update.

That's a lot of communication from Bungie. That and you forgot to mention that Bungie will claim that they found a "bug" that made Iron Banner level differences not seem to matter.

arimanius

Calling it now:

He's going to address it but deej already said "Power matters but so does skill". So I'm expecting them to say working as intended. Your just getting schooled by that level 4.

Marvel

could never
Got my Timurs Lash HC, I was the top scorer. The another huy got it too on my team , he was 4th place.

It's random as fuck, better get used to it.

RNG was kind to me last night. I got an exotic heavy machine gun, Thunderlord, from a purple engram. I also finally bought a legendary hand cannon, The Devil You Know, which is nice because I have been scout rifle only for a while now and I missed using a hand cannon. However, when you first get the lucky roll of an exotic or buy a new legendary, it is kind of a mixed feeling because you don't really get to enjoy it much at first. You have to level it up and then hope you have enough ass material (I don't even have enough to level up one legendary, let alone 1 exotic, and 4 other legs) so when you first use this awesome new weapon, it is likely a down grade from what you were previously using for quite some time. I enjoy the feed back loop in other loot driven games where when you see or get that awesome drop, you get to throw it on and revel in how much better it was than your previous gear, not lament the grind now associated with your shiny new item and how there is a very good chance you will never even fully level it. :(

RedFury

Well for those having trouble in IB I'll be on in like 15min grinding to lvl 3. We've won like 90%+ games my nephew and I played in.

He's going to address it but deej already said "Power matters but so does skill". So I'm expecting them to say working as intended. Your just getting schooled by that level 4.

Yeah, you're probably right.

But with the number of documented cases of low levels not only being perfectly capable of keeping up, but people showing the actual numbers only varying by a few points...seems hard to pretend it's as it should be.

Working as intended?

Maybe.

Working as perceived?

No...just no.

Raide

I was just going to suggest an "enemy mode" where one team are the villains. I would Wizard missile the crap out of someone!

At the very least, how about a horde mode? It would fit perfectly in this game!

Yeah a Horde mode would be great if they mixed up the enemy races,

JayHayabusa

Party Update for Heroic Raid 11pm CET

jayhayabusa (jayforone on PSN)
Klyka (Klyka1 on PSN)
death4romabove22
hydruxo
NarcissisticJay ??

colinp

Banned
Yes! My first Nightfall complete! Damn, had a team of two others. We died a number of times at the end and had to run through but finally we made it.

I ended up getting a legendary scout rifle.

Tomorrow I'll do the heroic weekly. Is that soloable? Was thinking of doing the medium difficult by myself.

X-Frame

Wow, why did the Devil Walker public event in the Divide get demoted to a red "Rare" event when it's always been a common one?

rNilla

I spent an unreasonable amount of time on the Queen's Wrath stuff, did all of the PVE bounties every day (PVP is not really my jam and half of them require you to be Level 2 or 3 anyway with the "equip shader, emblem, class" req) and by the end I think I was only halfway to Rank 3. :/

Also, once they "fixed" the Queen's gear giving shards, there was pretty much no reason to do more than a few of her missions other than to gamble for the sniper rifle or ship. It would have been nice to get some rep from these missions as well.

Zakalwe

Banned
fixed! patch this shit bungie!

Proper explanation of dmg types/shields for new players.

Proper explanation of faction and importance of vender gear.

Proper explanation of light levels.

I was speaking to a GAME employee who had no idea how light levels worked or that vender gear was the primary way to level. He didn't even know about queen's mission tokens, and had missed the legendary gear because he assumed you needed a high reputation rank.

Seriously, Bungie, your average gamer will not understand this game properly. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom