• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best use of a Bubble Shield: http://www.gfycat.com/DeadlyQuarrelsomeIchthyostega
KaleidoscopicDarkDipper.gif

E92 M3

Isn't that where marks come in? I haven't had the best luck, but I always feel like I'm making progress, whether it's to get enough coins or motes to buy things from Xur, or getting my vanguard rep up to buy my first legendary primary. I've been at 27 for a while now, but I don't feel like I hit a wall or that I'm not progressing.

Vanguard and crucible marks are the failsafe. You can get to 29 with vendor gear.

I know, but getting to 30 is completely random. Bungie has other methods to obtain gear, but the actual loot system has no substance besides RNG.

How many times have you been in the bottom half and gotten some sweet loot?
REWARDS ARE NOT TIED TO PERFORMANCE

Never :(

Daemul

Isn't that where marks come in? I haven't had the best luck, but I always feel like I'm making progress, whether it's to get enough coins or motes to buy things from Xur, or getting my vanguard rep up to buy my first legendary primary. I've been at 27 for a while now, but I don't feel like I hit a wall or that I'm not progressing.

Marks are useful in helping you bridge that gap from level 24-27, but you eventually reach a level like I have, where marks become useless in helping you progress. I have more legendary and exotic items than most people can ever dream of having, but at level 29, I am at the mercy of RNG due to the way Raid gear drops work. Even Ascendant Energy and Shards are now useless to me, since I have 80+ each of that stuff, so I don't even bother with the heroic daily story and public events anymore.

Flo_Evans

Wow. Are the random rewards at the end of matches better than in normal crucible?

I have only ground out halfway to rank 2 but no. Seems like the same loot table as normal crucible. Very rare chance for an exotic or legendary.

I really don't understand what the hell this Iron Banner is suppose to be.

Oh a elite ranked mode? No its not really ranked. Oh level and gear matters? Well not really (seriously did they think no one would experiment and figure out the damage is the same??) OK maybe you actually get better drops for winning? No, still random... OK well maybe it has cool gear? Gear really isn't any different than normal vendor gear.

I don't even understand why is it control all the time? Why is it not free for all death match arena style? Why is progressing dependent on my team wining? I get no rep for kills?

Really it just seems like another bar to fill... =/

LevelCap just released a good vid on what he considers the big flaws of Destiny: 100 Hours Into Destiny - Addicting But Riddled With Flaws!

Basically:
  • Events so far have been disappointing. Queen's Wrath: reskinned content, no new missions, bounties; Iron Banner: Gear disparity doesn't seem to do much; rewards/gear isn't that great, zero rep gained unless you win a match is a stupid design choice
  • Events so far have felt disingenuous advertised and feel more like rebranded experiences
  • Random PvP matchmaking is annoying and makes it difficult to play team vs team.
  • A lot of PvE gear is best in PvP and requires material farming, which is time-consuming and boring. "Want to enjoy PvP more? Go do this boring task." Why not reward good PvP play with materials so you don't have to "do chores" to upgrade?
  • Crucible vendors have gear that's not great in PvP; Vanguard vendors have gear that is good in PvP
  • Strength, as a stat, isn't really that great, as melee isn't big in this game, but a lot of PvP gear has Strength bonuses; needs a buff of some sort
  • Supers feel inescapable; need a way to know that someone is charged/ready with super
  • Light system is unique idea but flawed.
    • Creates disparity between groups of friends. Unlike MMOs, there is not an assured situation where you can get a group of friends together and say, "Alright, let's do a bunch of hard missions/strikes/etc. and gear up/level up". One person could very well get enough gear in a strike or few strikes to level themselves up multiple times while another is still stuck, and now you have level disparity between friends. Farming, as an alternative, is not a fun way to progress.
    • 1 piece of gear can be the difference between being completely useless or a key part of a group
    • Some gear may not be as good, stat wise, as your current gear, but the light rating is higher, so you pretty much HAVE to use it

He does close by saying that he would not have sunk 100 hours into it if he wasn't enjoying himself; enjoys PvP but PvE is a drudging grind to get to the endgame; you want to have fun, not do chores.

You're letting perception get to you. It's RNG, stop linking it to performance.

I.e., would you prefer you had zero chance of loot?

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Reward good play with materials, glimmer, etc. Literally, anything rather than nothing.

I have only ground out halfway to rank 2 but no. Seems like the same loot table as normal crucible. Very rare chance for an exotic or legendary.

I really don't understand what the hell this Iron Banner is suppose to be.

Oh a elite ranked mode? No its not really ranked. Oh level and gear matters? Well not really (seriously did they think no one would experiment and figure out the damage is the same??) OK maybe you actually get better drops for winning? No, still random... OK well maybe it has cool gear? Gear really isn't any different than normal vendor gear.

I don't even understand why is it control all the time? Why is it not free for all death match arena style? Why is progressing dependent on my team wining? I get no rep for kills?

Really it just seems like another bar to fill... =/
I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds the same as it was in the beta. I didn't notice any difference than regular crucible.

Sounds like Bungie is interested in feedback, though. It'll probably undergo some changes before the next time it's available.

Am I the only one who is seeing my Fusion Grenades stick to an enemy in PvP and the explosion not registering any damage? It happened repeatedly to me last night, not sure if it's lag or what, but nothing is more frustrating than expecting the enemy to blow up because you see your grenade stuck to him, only for nothing to happen at all.

Klyka

Banned
Soloed weekly heroic, got a legendary engram as reward and it decrypted into the exotic THUNDERLORD.

NOICE. Also got another legendary engram from Rahool which decrypted into a legendary titan chestpiece. perfect for my secondary character :D

Soloed weekly heroic, got a legendary engram as reward and it decrypted into the exotic THUNDERLORD.

NOICE. Also got another legendary engram from Rahool which decrypted into a legendary titan chestpiece. perfect for my secondary character :D

Is there any rhyme or reason to Daily Heroic rewards? Both my friend and I got purple engrams last week when we did it the first time for the week, but when we tried the next day's heroic, we got nothing.

This week, the first heroic, we got ascendant material, but the next day, nothing.

Bizazedo

[*]Strength, as a stat, isn't really that great, as melee isn't big in this game, but a lot of PvP gear has Strength bonuses; needs a buff of some sort

Maybe all that strength gear is for Warlocks haha.

There's also just the constant moving up and down.

Strangely, I have yet to come across anyone doing it... guess people can't be bothered anymore.

Is it really better than grinding out Strikes in the Tiger playlist, though? I was getting 2-4 blue engrams a run plus marks, etc.....

Granted, was a full fireteam.

-griffy-

Banned
I've done from 3 to 10 bounties each day ever since the game came out, and I've still to see an exotic bounty.
Best I've had was a ship blueprint.
Yesterday.

I went until probably level 24 without seeing any, then I suddenly got my first one. Then I got another on top of that. Completed both of those. Then I got an exotic weapon out of a legendary engram (before the patch!). Then I got another bounty. Then I got one from crucible. Then I got another bounty. And another. And now ANOTHER. It's like the flood gates opened up. Got three of these damn bounties and multiple exotics obtained or lined up for each weapon type :p

It's kind of annoying since for a long time I had a serious lack of legendary weapons, so depending on the elemental burn or weapon type I'm still rolling with a rare. Luckily my The Devil You Know/Ice Breaker combo is good for most PVE situations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Maybe all that strength gear is for Warlocks haha.

Is it really better than grinding out Strikes in the Tiger playlist, though? I was getting 2-4 blue engrams a run plus marks, etc.....

Granted, was a full fireteam.
Like the other cave, it's all RNG. It's just easier to use it as a place to get kills quickly to complete bounties.

LevelCap just released a good vid on what he considers the big flaws of Destiny: 100 Hours Into Destiny - Addicting But Riddled With Flaws!

Basically:
  • Events so far have been disappointing. Queen's Wrath: reskinned content, no new missions, bounties; Iron Banner: Gear disparity doesn't seem to do much; rewards/gear isn't that great, zero rep gained unless you win a match is a stupid design choice
  • Events so far have felt disingenuous advertised and feel more like rebranded experiences
  • Random PvP matchmaking is annoying and makes it difficult to play team vs team.
  • A lot of PvE gear is best in PvP and requires material farming, which is time-consuming and boring. "Want to enjoy PvP more? Go do this boring task." Why not reward good PvP play with materials so you don't have to "do chores" to upgrade?
  • Crucible vendors have gear that's not great in PvP; Vanguard vendors have gear that is good in PvP
  • Strength, as a stat, isn't really that great, as melee isn't big in this game, but a lot of PvP gear has Strength bonuses; needs a buff of some sort
  • Supers feel inescapable; need a way to know that someone is charged/ready with super
  • Light system is unique idea but flawed.
    • Creates disparity between groups of friends. Unlike MMOs, there is not an assured situation where you can get a group of friends together and say, "Alright, let's do a bunch of hard missions/strikes/etc. and gear up/level up". One person could very well get enough gear in a strike or few strikes to level themselves up multiple times while another is still stuck, and now you have level disparity between friends. Farming, as an alternative, is not a fun way to progress.
    • 1 piece of gear can be the difference between being completely useless or a key part of a group
    • Some gear may not be as good, stat wise, as your current gear, but the light rating is higher, so you pretty much HAVE to use it

He does close by saying that he would not have sunk 100 hours into it if he wasn't enjoying himself; enjoys PvP but PvE is a drudging grind to get to the endgame; you want to have fun, not do chores.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. Reward good play with materials, glimmer, etc. Literally, anything rather than nothing.

LOL, I could tell he was a PvP player. His list is almost the exact opposite of mine.

-Why do all of the factions take only Crucible marks?
-Why so many PvP breaking bounties that I would never want to spend time doing with the Queen Event?
-IB...Great, another PvP thing...

Bizazedo

Like the other cave, it's all RNG. It's just easier to use it as a place to get kills quickly to complete bounties.

Is it, though? The Tiger playlist is stupidly easy and rewards more. You're killing, probably, just as fast.

I'm not saying the loot stairs sucks, it was more a comment as to why you don't see people there a lot. It's not really going to be far and away better due to engram changes, especially with guaranteed engrams from the strike playlist.

Only advantage I can see for the stairs is for when you're solo.

Raide

As much as I dislike CoD and its level/unlock system, Iron Banner should have been for new characters and you level up and get gear. As you get higher, you can choose from several weapons. Everyone should have the same gear at Lvl 1.

Hoodbury

Another stupid question.

Is it worthwhile buying the crucible/vanguard gear to replace the queens wraith gear?

Eh, not really, they have the same amount of light. I'd focus on replacing one with an exotic piece though. Xur usually has an exotic helm for each class. Focus on getting 13 strange coins for tomorrow-Saturday.

It works. Not that great though, of course. And I assume it'll be nerfed soon enough.

Actually I found it to be as good as the cave in terms of XP/hour. I'm not much into the shooting into a closet/cave thing but resorted to doing so to level up an alt.

You have to have three people and you have to have "roles." If you set it up right and know where to stand and when to go knock out the drop ship adds, it's very efficient.

Most excellently. I think two people got raid gear pieces. I got the same Exotic I got the night before from the Nightfall ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ many enershards! And tried a new way to get to the second chest that just blew my mind. The intricacies of the Vault of Glass are many.

Oh you know it.

Night and day. With the perspective of having beaten it, I can honestly say that the Gatekeeper part is tougher than Atheon, but we made one tweak to our strategy which will make it much easier next time (after I get the first relic I'm solo defending the Green [apparently it's not Venus :X] gate, other two people defend the center).

Atheon we almost got on our third try even despite Carbine disconnecting/reconnecting in the middle of the fight- it was CLOSE. Knocked him out after two more and no one was panicking at all the last run, felt awesome. Look forward to running it with the full original crew next time!
Nice! I'm glad it went so smoothly :) Congrats to the guys that received armor, do you have any raid gear yet at all?

I got home at 945ish PST and saw EverydayMath ask if anyone wanted to do a quick run...she wasn't kidding! I'm convinced we'd have done the whole thing in 45 minutes if we didn't have a disconnect and a hiccup with my friend doing the jump puzzle. I think we ended in around 70-75ish minutes? It was surreal to me! We also took that other path you mentioned that potentially gets you a 5th chest if you didn't know but it's random if it appears or not and no one knows what triggers it. We also killed a Gorgon for the grimoire, god did it feel good to kill one of those bastards! haha Also, my lord is it night and day going from 27 to 28, I was actually able to easily kill stuff with my primary whereas I was forced to use Sniper and heavy to do anything to the Praetorians at 27.

I didn't receive any armor either but it actually gave me a weapon for each boss and a chest or two. Alas, it gave me two of the same one and being a shotgun, I don't need it at all ;P BUT I did get the Void Raid Machine Gun which should be great in there AND I got the Vision of Confluence Scout Rifle that does Solar damage. It's going to be nice to have a primary that does elemental damage :D I think I'm going to prioritize leveling it up before Pocket Infinity but it's hard to choose. It will be nice using this guy to wreck Oracles even faster (when I get the perk) :D
I have lots of coin and lots of motes of light.

Treat a girl nice this weekend, Xur.

THIS. I am up in the sixties in Strange Coins and have enough motes for multiple engrams. Pls Xur, give Lady Dax and Lord Squall what they want! Heart of the Plaxic Sun for me, please! In the least, chest engrams so I can have a few shots at getting it that way.

Flo_Evans

Melee isn't big in this game? o_O

lol 99% of the gear boosts melee. I have almost broke my R1 button in this game.

Kind of sucks though it is mostly useless in the raid. I'd also like to build an +INT set of gear (seems really rare?) but then again in the raid boss stage you have full super all the time... really (void) grenade spec is the only thing that makes sense for endgame IMHO.

Raide

Only time I use melee in pvp is if I get in a CQC duel with somebody when I'm not expecting it. Otherwise its useless, unlike most FPS games like CoD where melee is one hit kill.

Shotgun + Punch in the face is pretty much the main weapon for Titans.

I've stocked up on a lot of alt gear to see what I'd roll with next, and the 3 recent pieces of Legendary Titan armor pretty much made the choice for me.

realcZk

Actually I found it to be as good as the cave in terms of XP/hour. I'm not much into the shooting into a closet/cave thing but resorted to doing so to level up an alt.

You have to have three people and you have to have "roles." If you set it up right and know where to stand and when to go knock out the drop ship adds, it's very efficient.

Yep I think we were pulling upwards of 180-200k XP/hour with this with two on cave/dropship ads, public events and lower stairs farming it was around 250+xp every 4-5 seconds at best. Since I had the nightfall buff I was getting even more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it, though? The Tiger playlist is stupidly easy and rewards more. You're killing, probably, just as fast.

I'm not saying the loot stairs sucks, it was more a comment as to why you don't see people there a lot. It's not really going to be far and away better due to engram changes, especially with guaranteed engrams from the strike playlist.

Only advantage I can see for the stairs is for when you're solo.
It's a better source of greens, that's for sure. Look at all that plasteel plating.
Naw. Vanquisher VIII, Shadow Price, Grim Citizen, Shingen, all work in PvP.

Nope and Epilogue are strictly PvE.
Well if we're just listing viable Crucible auto rifles:

-Galahad-E
-Cydonia AR3
-Silvered Hushwind-D
-Hard Light
-Carte Blanche S.1 (apparently, got wrecked with this thing the other night)
-Seriously really almost any auto rifle besides Doctor Nope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom