• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHall

Finally hit level 30 last night and got full Raid gear for my Hunter! Just need to wait till next week and pray to the RNGods that I can get the Vex Mythoclast next week. Only one person in our group got it yesterday.

Should be jam packed with guardian's come tonight. Dunno how it'll work with multiple people but I guess I can just stand on the stairs and collect loot every so often.

To do it efficiently, you have to have at least 2 people. I'm not going to say I discovered the loot stairs (it's loot closet actually, but whatever), but I know who did.

Nameless

I went until probably level 24 without seeing any, then I suddenly got my first one. Then I got another on top of that. Completed both of those. Then I got an exotic weapon out of a legendary engram (before the patch!). Then I got another bounty. Then I got one from crucible. Then I got another bounty. And another. And now ANOTHER. It's like the flood gates opened up. Got three of these damn bounties and multiple exotics obtained or lined up for each weapon type :p

It's kind of annoying since for a long time I had a serious lack of legendary weapons, so depending on the elemental burn or weapon type I'm still rolling with a rare. Luckily my The Devil You Know/Ice Breaker combo is good for most PVE situations.

Yeah, I've had this bad juju bounty for a week & half and have gotten two more, which I dismissed, because I already don't want to play the amount of PvP required to finish this one.

jeffc919

I am teaching real life buds about the game. I actually would love to try to help the guys going for the hard mode raid tonight, but I already am trying to take my real life buds through on a Normal raid tonight.

One's 29, lowest is 26, and we have one spot to fill (ANYONE AROUND 8:30 EST WANT TO TRY? I have completed it), so it'll be fun taking newbs in....but yeah, they know nothing that we do. Well, mostly...29 knows some stuff.

I played with you guys last week (PS4 - jeffc_76) and I'm good for 8:30 eastern if you still have room. Still level 28 but stronger primary weapon this time.

Melee isn't big in this game? o_O

I think he mostly meant this:

Only time I use melee in pvp is if I get in a CQC duel with somebody when I'm not expecting it. Otherwise its useless, unlike most FPS games like CoD where melee is one hit kill.

Melee can be huge in PvE, and if you're a Titan, I think it's very useful, but I can see where he's coming from. It's a full third of the trait system, but compared to specials (which are usually guaranteed kills, when used right), they're second class. I'd put them on par with grenades, though, but I'm not very good at PvP and LevelCap is a longtime competitive FPS player.

LOL, I could tell he was a PvP player. His list is almost the exact opposite of mine.

-Why do all of the factions take only Crucible marks?
-Why so many PvP breaking bounties that I would never want to spend time doing with the Queen Event?
-IB...Great, another PvP thing...

Tell me about it. Especially your first point.

Bizazedo

Agree. I'd say around a third of my kills in PVP are from melee. Plus I normally just melee low level mobs in PVE to save on ammo.

Sure, but how many melees would still have killed without the ability being active? There are only a few specs where the melee is important to be active (Defender Titan, Warlock shield thing etc).

Otherwise, normal melee is fine and there's no reason to prioritize it over Super / Grenades.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol 99% of the gear boosts melee. I have almost broke my R1 button in this game.

Kind of sucks though it is mostly useless in the raid. I'd also like to build an +INT set of gear (seems really rare?) but then again in the raid boss stage you have full super all the time... really (void) grenade spec is the only thing that makes sense for endgame IMHO.
Oh in the raid sure it's useless, I hear that. I posted all the stat distributions on armor and where they can be find in the first post of guide part 4, if you're interested in pursuing that. I'll link in a sec...
Only time I use melee in pvp is if I get in a CQC duel with somebody when I'm not expecting it. Otherwise its useless, unlike most FPS games like CoD where melee is one hit kill.
First off, is that first scenario something rare for you? I feel like this happens to me once a match at the absolute minimum, sometimes 5+ times. Also this really depends a lot on playstyle. Headshot + Blink Strike or the other way around is critical for me, and I would feel naked without Scorch/Flame Shield on my Warlock and he isn't even level 20 yet.

edit: Also a backstab STR bulid would be getting a lot of one-hit kills... might play around with this.
Shotgun + Punch in the face is pretty much the main weapon for Titans.
then there's that
I can't remember how many shards it took to fully level my raid chest? 24?
uhh this is unrelated to what you quoted right? yes 24.
Also, if I have extra shards while waiting for my last raid gear, does it help on hard raid to level my legendary armor to go from ~29.0 to ~29.5?
No, this has no effect.

Hoodbury

Melee sure, but the strength stat is kinda odd. All it does is speed up the timer on your strong melee attack instead of actually making it stronger. I focused on strength early on thinking my melee would hit harder but in PvP I was still getting out melee'd by everyone. I then stopped focusing on strength and more on intellect to get my super faster.

I really don't get melee in this game, I'm a Titan and it feels like I get one punch killed all the time but I can never one punch anyone.

I don't really think about melee anymore in PvP, it's more of a panic reaction when a dance of death happens and I just swing wildly while spinning around with the other guy.

In PvE it works great though to help save on ammo.

cakely

Another stupid question.

Is it worthwhile buying the crucible/vanguard gear to replace the queens wraith gear?

The difference is stats, perks, and appearance. My Queen's helm has int, discipline and a useful perk so I'll keep it.

If you find a faction/vanguard piece that's an improvement for you in stats and perks, go for it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it, though? The Tiger playlist is stupidly easy and rewards more. You're killing, probably, just as fast.

I'm not saying the loot stairs sucks, it was more a comment as to why you don't see people there a lot. It's not really going to be far and away better due to engram changes, especially with guaranteed engrams from the strike playlist.

Only advantage I can see for the stairs is for when you're solo.
It's good for leveling up I guess. I did it for 10 minutes or so and got a few greens for my alt. I wouldn't bother with a 28 unless you are out of marks to earn or something.

Yeah, I've had this bad juju bounty for a week & half and have gotten two more, which I dismissed, because I already don't want to play the amount of PvP required to finish this one.
You could always take all the bounties that require PVP - Shotgun, Pulse Rifle, and Hand Cannon - and then just do all those in one go. lol

Hoodbury

Got a PS4 copy of the game and i am getting marionberry error code while trying to connect?
PSN is working.

Marionberry is a local network settings error. This can happen for a number of reasons, but often it occurs after a WiFi blip or when network settings have changed on your home network or games console.

To resolve this issue please click the topic link above and follow the instructions.

Error Code: MARIONBERRY

If you are seeing this error, it indicates a problem with your networking setup. This can happen for a number of reasons, but often occurs after a WiFi blip, or when network settings have changed on your home network or game console.

To resolve this issue please do the following:

Log off of Destiny
Turn off your PlayStation or Xbox console
Power-cycle your networking hardware (router, modem, etc.) by turning each item off, then waiting 30 seconds before turning them back on one by one, beginning with your modem
Once your home network is back up, turn on your PlayStation or Xbox console and relaunch Destiny

If you are encountering this error consistently, or if the above steps don't solve the problem, you will need to troubleshoot your networking setup to solve this issue. For more information visit bungie.net/networking.

I get like 5 melee kills every crucible match. Plus you have the melee ability which can give you a useful buff if you're a warlock (and hunter I think). Melee is as useful in this game as it is in Halo...very.

Melee sure, but the strength stat is kinda odd. All it does is speed up the timer on your strong melee attack instead of actually making it stronger. I focused on strength early on thinking my melee would hit harder but in PvP I was still getting out melee'd by everyone. I then stopped focusing on strength and more on intellect to get my super faster.

I really don't get melee in this game, I'm a Titan and it feels like I get one punch killed all the time but I can never one punch anyone.

I don't really think about melee anymore in PvP, it's more of a panic reaction when a dance of death happens and I just swing wildly while spinning around with the other guy.

I see where you're coming from, but the strong melee ability does more damage (which may kill somebody who has already sustained some damage to where a normal melee would not) and may have other unique characteristics. My Warlock drains energy which speeds up my grenade time and also causes "surge" which speeds up my weapon switch and ADS as well as my movement speed. So strength can be very useful.

Deku Tree

LOL, I could tell he was a PvP player. His list is almost the exact opposite of mine.

-Why do all of the factions take only Crucible marks?
-Why so many PvP breaking bounties that I would never want to spend time doing with the Queen Event?
-IB...Great, another PvP thing...

I have similar complaints as I am generally not a PvP player... Now I am about to have to do a lot of it for some exotic bounties. The only reason I am not bothered that the factions require crucible marks is that I don't really care about their gear. It doesn't seem very different from the Vanguard gear, and at this point in the game I am only interested in gear that comes from drops and exotic bounties anyway.

Sh0k

It's totally random and happens when you turn in a bounty.

I got my 4th one in relatively short order, so...

I think that you trigger the exotic bounty when you turn 5 bounties of the same faction at the same time. I turned 5 vanguard bounties and got an exotic bounty for a Machine Gun and turn 5 vanguard bounties and got an exotic bounty for a Fusion Rifle.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So what do they mean by equiping a class item for the iron banner bounty? They can't possibly mean the armor or cloak you can't even get until rank 3...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Makes sense, it's just preference really. Blink Strike and my grenades are both actually more important to me than getting my Super quicker.
Titan Shoulder Charge is a OHKO, other than that you shouldn't be able to. If you're getting one shot at full health by melee it's that (Shoulder Charge), Scorch during Radiance, or Backstab. I think that's all.

Just playstyle difference, I use it all the time, especially slide to dodge fire into Blink Strike.
plus it's so satisfying. I hate lightswitch.

Bizazedo

I get like 5 melee kills every crucible match. Plus you have the melee ability which can give you a useful buff if you're a warlock (and hunter I think). Melee is as useful in this game as it is in Halo...very.

And to Hawk...

Shotgun + Melee will kill with or without the skill. The actual ability STR recharges varies greatly in use from (sub)class to (sub)class. Striker Titan? Storm Fist is majorly ehhhhh. It can help if you have it quickly recharge your super, but then you could've also just buffed Intellect and not rely on melee kills.

Defender? Yeah, force barrier is great, but you'd be sacrificing normal super charge time or Grenades....and Defender Titan grenades are amazing.

Warlock has that super useful shield buff, so I can see that, but again, it's what do you sacrifice for it. Some 'Lock users can speculate.

For most builds, though, STR is less important because normal melee attacks do so much damage anyways.

Marvel

could never
My Titan CM Punk running knee attack is getting me lots of kills, looks and feels so fucking gnarly.
iEWuzQeUrza8P.gif

Darkone

Error Code: MARIONBERRY

If you are seeing this error, it indicates a problem with your networking setup. This can happen for a number of reasons, but often occurs after a WiFi blip, or when network settings have changed on your home network or game console.

To resolve this issue please do the following:

Log off of Destiny
Turn off your PlayStation or Xbox console
Power-cycle your networking hardware (router, modem, etc.) by turning each item off, then waiting 30 seconds before turning them back on one by one, beginning with your modem
Once your home network is back up, turn on your PlayStation or Xbox console and relaunch Destiny

If you are encountering this error consistently, or if the above steps don't solve the problem, you will need to troubleshoot your networking setup to solve this issue. For more information visit bungie.net/networking.

Tried it and still getting the error, need to open ports from what i googled.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The throwing knives are an interesting backup ranged weapon if you're desperate. I just prefer spamming grenades though.

So what do they mean by equiping a class item for the bounty? They can't possibly mean the armor or cloak you can't even get until rank 3...
Of course they mean that!

I think that you trigger the exotic bounty when you turn 5 bounties of the same faction at the same time. I turned 5 vanguard bounties and got an exotic bounty for a Machine Gun and turn 5 vanguard bounties and got an exotic bounty for a Fusion Rifle.
I can't remember if I ever did 5 at once... since I usually just turn them in when I'm done in order to get new ones.

Acrylic7

I have my Titan subclass set to drop orbs of light with every melee kill and Its a sure 1 hit kill every time. My team runs through strikes and such like its nothing. Also gives me an automatic oversheild, lol.

Nameless

It's good for leveling up I guess. I did it for 10 minutes or so and got a few greens for my alt. I wouldn't bother with a 28 unless you are out of marks to earn or something.

You could always take all the bounties that require PVP - Shotgun, Pulse Rifle, and Hand Cannon - and then just do all those in one go. lol

If they are were all as matter of fact as get X amount of points, sure. But killing a certain enemy a certain way and/or with a certain type of element...yeah no.

I've never been a huge fan of Bungie online PvP as it is, so dumping truck loads of tedium on top of it definitely doesn't appeal me. I don't want or need those weapons that badly anyway.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If they are were all as matter of fact as get X amount of points, sure. But killing a certain enemy a certain way and/or with a certain type of element...yeah no.

I've never been a huge fan of Bungie online PvP as it is, so dumping truck loads of tedium on top of it definitely doesn't appeal me. I don't want or need those weapons that badly anyway.
Fair enough. I was surprised I was able to do the Invective one, since I'm mostly average at the PVP and didn't really have any great guns at the time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And to Hawk...

Shotgun + Melee will kill with or without the skill. The actual ability STR recharges varies greatly in use from (sub)class to (sub)class. Striker Titan? Storm Fist is majorly ehhhhh. It can help if you have it quickly recharge your super, but then you could've also just buffed Intellect and not rely on melee kills
Okay first off, the comment I was referring to was "melee isn't big in this game." Not "the melee skill cooldown stat isn't as effective as the other two across the board for PvP." I use melee of some kind constantly; as you note, Shotgun + Melee (or Hand Cannon + melee) will kill with or without the skill.

I know very little of Striker titans yet. But I love Blink Strike. And you've all inspired me to play around with Backstab.

Defender? Yeah, force barrier is great, but you'd be sacrificing normal super charge time or Grenades....and Defender Titan grenades are amazing.
Wait why are you necessarily sacrificing either? Armor stats feature 2/3 of the possible choices...
Warlock has that super useful shield buff, so I can see that, but again, it's what do you sacrifice for it. Some 'Lock users can speculate.
Playstyle prefence but Flame Shield is 100% irreplaceable to me. I love it so, so, so much and want it up as much as humanly possible.
For most builds, though, STR is less important because normal melee attacks do so much damage anyways.
I get that point entirely. Totally agree, for most builds that is completely accurate. Again, I was replying to, "melee isn't big in this game"- not my experience at all.

zewone

Got my last needed piece of raid gear and The Last Word.

I have every exotic weapon I want. Now the only thing left for me is the Mythoclast.

catspit

Is there a trick to this weeks nightfall ? Tried it last night and was unable to do it.. Was really slow going trying to stay near the entrance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom