• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that it's better (IMO) than any other exotic or legendary scout AND it doesn't take up an exotic slot AND it does solar damage AND it can be fired full auto AND it increases stability as you fire AND it does bonus damage to oracles AND it has a 27 round mag...

It's ridiculous.

Oh, AND it's about to get a BUFF.
Of course, if I could have any weapon, it'd be the Vision of Confluence.

kidko

LevelCap just released a good vid on what he considers the big flaws of Destiny: 100 Hours Into Destiny - Addicting But Riddled With Flaws!

Basically:
  • Events so far have been disappointing. Queen's Wrath: reskinned content, no new missions, bounties; Iron Banner: Gear disparity doesn't seem to do much; rewards/gear isn't that great, zero rep gained unless you win a match is a stupid design choice
  • Events so far have felt disingenuous advertised and feel more like rebranded experiences
  • Random PvP matchmaking is annoying and makes it difficult to play team vs team.
  • A lot of PvE gear is best in PvP and requires material farming, which is time-consuming and boring. "Want to enjoy PvP more? Go do this boring task." Why not reward good PvP play with materials so you don't have to "do chores" to upgrade?
  • Crucible vendors have gear that's not great in PvP; Vanguard vendors have gear that is good in PvP
  • Strength, as a stat, isn't really that great, as melee isn't big in this game, but a lot of PvP gear has Strength bonuses; needs a buff of some sort
  • Supers feel inescapable; need a way to know that someone is charged/ready with super
  • Light system is unique idea but flawed.
    • Creates disparity between groups of friends. Unlike MMOs, there is not an assured situation where you can get a group of friends together and say, "Alright, let's do a bunch of hard missions/strikes/etc. and gear up/level up". One person could very well get enough gear in a strike or few strikes to level themselves up multiple times while another is still stuck, and now you have level disparity between friends. Farming, as an alternative, is not a fun way to progress.
    • 1 piece of gear can be the difference between being completely useless or a key part of a group
    • Some gear may not be as good, stat wise, as your current gear, but the light rating is higher, so you pretty much HAVE to use it

He does close by saying that he would not have sunk 100 hours into it if he wasn't enjoying himself; enjoys PvP but PvE is a drudging grind to get to the endgame; you want to have fun, not do chores..

Bang on. I'd minorly disagree with the strength comment, as I get a lot of kills with melee as a sunsinger (DoT burn) but otherwise feel the same way about everything they said.

arimanius

I think striker and defender both need some love. Defender is a one trick pony (bubble) and striker has qol issues that need to be looked at. Striker skills don't flow together as well as warlock and hunter skills do.

Edit. Example titans are suppose to be the close combat class but they have the worse melee skills.

Flo_Evans

I have it fully upgraded as it was my first exotic weapon... The other exotics are just so much better. Gun needs a buff as it's not useful and I always opt for something else.

It seems like they had to make it somewhat weak as a PS exclusive...

Can't have exclusive stuff be too OP or people get mad.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Does anyone know how the destiny public events site is pulling their data? They now have the devil walker on earth as a rare event, whereas it used to be the most reliable public event around.

No idea, but it's still the most reliable for me.

Full auto???? Christ, I didn't know that. Guess I'll vault my Tool and wait for this. Use my maxed Suros in the mean time.

Okay before you get too hyped. All full auto means is instead of pressing the trigger down for every shot it just fires the next as though you had pressed down the trigger again. It doesn't make it shoot faster, just saves your finger some strain. As someone who has maxed out my confluence I'll say it's been great for PVE, mainly hard mode of the raid, but it's trash in PVP.

Homeboyd

Okay before you get too hyped. All full auto means is instead of pressing the trigger down for every shot it just fires the next as though you had pressed down the trigger again. It doesn't make it shoot faster, just saves your finger some strain. As someone who has maxed out my confluence I'll say it's been great for PVE, mainly hard mode of the raid, but it's trash in PVP.
Yeah, it's still a big upgrade to just hold down the trigger as it increases stability all along the way. Great for tight situations with a lot of enemies.

Agreed tho about PvP, but that's the case with anything other than AR's and some hand cannons.

gatti-man

Bang on. I'd minorly disagree with the strength comment, as I get a lot of kills with melee as a sunsinger (DoT burn) but otherwise feel the same way about everything they said.

They are dead wrong about light levels when comparing to other mmos. 1 peice of gear in destiny is usually interchangeable with others unless its the very end game gear pieces which is the exact same as an mmo just called light as opposed to stat boosts.

The idea of getting mats from pvp is brilliant though. Please do. Farming relic iron is so lame.

Bizazedo

k, fun topic / question.

I received a Dead Orbit HMG that is amazing. It destroys the Dead Orbit HMG you can buy from the vendor (due to the perks / upgrades it has).

Anyone else experienced the same awesomeness of the gifts being better? Or received weapons that were not available for Marks?

In terms of pure damage output I'd take Weapons of Light over Fists of Havoc any day.
I know, that's why I said "if we already have several Defender Titans.."

blackflag

Yeah that's what I figured, it's just annoying trying to pull the trigger as fast as i can.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully you get them but if not, the moment trading comes into the game, I'll toss you mine. Got it as post reward for Nightfall last week and nothing on it lines up with my builds.

Can't bring myself to shard it though because it's literally the best looking piece of Hunter gear in the game.
HAha thanks! And yeah, I find it very tough to dismantle exotics, personally. Even if I don't want it, it goes into the collection.

...my second MIDA Multi-tool though, I dunno.

What do the gauntlets do?
Mine has Tripmines last longer, Increased Reload for Special Weapons, and More super from Grenade kills. Also has 91 Disc.
Playing with Tripmines will be fun, but the bold is what it's all about for me. This is the only piece of Hunter gear in the game with that mod AFAIK. It'll make my Pocket Infinity into Pocket Infinity Plus One.
I just went with Achylophage since it was the first (and so far only) piece of gear that had a gunslinger specific perk. The fourth round for the golden gun kind of suck compared to something like the Titan Helm that blinds enemies in the bubble, but i guess it's something.
If you think about killing Oracles in the raid or PvP, where a one-shot "success" is consistently valuable, it really is making your super 33% more effective. It's a solid choice for any Gunslinger build, honestly.

The void subclass for the Hunter better be fucking awesome in PvE since they drew the short stick as of now.
I was just thinking about this last night. The Hunter Void class should be all about party benefit and group utility, as the class is so lacking in that right now. I think they should get Portals like the Mesmer skill in GW2 somehow. they'd even be purple!

I need a Universal Remote. Oh my. Just wow.

What situations is it really good in? I have one, but haven't spent enough time upgrading it yet and don't really feel it fits with my current playstyle. It also takes a long time to level these things up and the range extension is late in the upgrade path. The slow fire rate makes it a burden in pve and limited range leaves me exposed in pvp.

Anyone have good ideas on where to farm a lot of experience? I have a bunch of mats for weapons and a number of legendaries and exotics, but most of them are suffering from being undeveloped.

Raide

Double jumping as a Hunter makes PvP feel way more interesting. Great to get around the place a little quicker and lot the floaty crap of the Titan.

blackflag

k, fun topic / question.

I received a Dead Orbit HMG that is amazing. It destroys the Dead Orbit HMG you can buy from the vendor (due to the perks / upgrades it has).

Anyone else experienced the same awesomeness of the gifts being better? Or received weapons that were not available for Marks?

I know, that's why I said "if we already have several Defender Titans.."

what's it called? I got an amazing Dead Orbit Hmg from an engram yesterday. I have Thunderlord and this is almost as good. The perks on it are great.

Deviant Gravity - A

What situations is it really good in? I have one, but haven't spent enough time upgrading it yet and don't really feel it fits with my current playstyle. It also takes a long time to level these things up and the range extension is late in the upgrade path. The slow fire rate makes it a burden in pve and limited range leaves me exposed in pvp.

Anyone have good ideas on where to farm a lot of experience? I have a bunch of mats for weapons and a number of legendaries and exotics, but most of them are suffering from being undeveloped.

Just do a bunch of bounties and have the weapons equipped when you turn the bounties in. This levels up gear pretty fast, although legendaries/exotics level up slow no matter what.

Nebula

LootStairs
Bounties
Strikes seem decent too

Make sure it's in the wield slot or it wont get XP.

Sullichin

First match of rank 2 in Iron Banner, kicked ass with the lord high fixer, best on my team, we won... and I got Timur's Lash (IB handcannon) as a reward!

Lord High Fixer seems better because of the rate of fire/higher magazine, but this seems really good so far too and looks cool. Excited to get the hip fire upgrade.

Just do a bunch of bounties and have the weapons equipped when you turn the bounties in. This levels up gear pretty fast, although legendaries/exotics level up slow no matter what.

Yeah, this has been my tactic but lately the bounties have been pretty weak. I was looking for a mission or area where I can farm more xp. Tiger strikes don't seem to net a lot of xp, though they usually only take about 15 min.

Ambitious

Who's getting ascendent shards after completing public events?

bzeiiDD.gif

..except for me. Happened two times in a row. So far.

Bizazedo

what's it called? I got an amazing Dead Orbit Hmg from an engram yesterday. I have Thunderlord and this is almost as good. The perks on it are great.

Deviant Gravity - A
Deviant Gravity. I forget if the letter is different, but it has Crowd Control Perk and a massive stabiliy AND Range upgrade with crazy impact. It's amazing (once leveled up).

I got Pocket Infinity!

Until you get the upgrade, it sucks

So, so true.

RedFury

Yup. I'm extremely underwhelmed with the mods. Which is disappointing because it's the best looking piece for Hunters.

I don't think anyone took offense and it's an understandable joke to make. People react to it so quickly because there's been a large amount of misinformation heralded as facts with this game and some people use that kind of stuff to fuel their confirmation bias.
I see the point and I apologize, don't mean to miss inform. On that note was at the top and just got timur's lash...it is what it is.

Deviant Gravity - A

I've noted this before but nobody really commented, has anyone else noticed how their seems to be a soft damage cap on alot of enemies for the LMG's? The Heavy Hitter LMG's rarely do much more damage than the faster firing high capacity ones. My LMG from the vault of glass kicks the crap out of anything else I've used yet. I have the swarm, Zombie Apocalypse and super good advice and they don't even come close.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Trying o farm spinmetal is quite possibly the most tedious thing I've ever had to do
At least spirit bloom is easy to find

Iceman829

Who's getting ascendent shards after completing public events?

..except for me. Happened two times in a row. So far.

Don't feel too bad. The last 10 public events I've complete have rewarded me with 1 strange coin (daily reward from postmaster) and 1 ascendent energy.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I take it you've never had anything that requires relic iron.

Relic iron is the easiest... I have something like 200 in my bank.

For anyone who needs mats, just go to youtube and look at the runs people have posted. If you're not doing a chest run, then you're doing it wrong.

blackflag

I've noted this before but nobody really commented, has anyone else noticed how their seems to be a soft damage cap on alot of enemies for the LMG's? The Heavy Hitter LMG's rarely do much more damage than the faster firing high capacity ones. My LMG from the vault of glass kicks the crap out of anything else I've used yet. I have the swarm, Zombie Apocalypse and super good advice and they don't even come close.

It could be, I haven't noticed much difference between them all except those with good stability upgrades and those without.

DesertFox

I'll wait to see what Xur has in his goodie bag tomorrow and go from there. I've been eye balling the Shadow Price lately, was thinking about using my marks on that.

I'm 12 marks away from buying Shadow Price. Hopefully it's worth it.
Did anybody else think the weapon's name was Shadow PRINCE for the last month?

I was just thinking about this last night. The Hunter Void class should be all about party benefit and group utility, as the class is so lacking in that right now. I think they should get Portals like the Mesmer skill in GW2 somehow. they'd even be purple!

Portals just feels like it would work best with Warlock actually.

What I'd like to see is a super that places a circle on the ground (similar to Titan's bubble but not a sphere) that gives everyone who stands in it passive regen. Modifiers could change whether it's health, shield, or ammo regen. It would function well for midrange and long range and be very valuable in Hard Mode Raids and any activity with Juggler.

The problem is, it would be too powerful in PvP. But that's about the only direct buff I can think of that isn't already covered in some way.

Edit: Ooh. Maybe a group stealth? Eh.. probably too strong in PvP again. ;/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom