• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

So, do I get more ascendant shards if I unlock the upgrades for an armor piece before dismantling it? Bought a vanguard chest piece just for the shards.

Gsnap

Do you have any exotics? That's how I leveled my alt so fast. Bought an exotic for titan, leveled titan instant lvl 25 with that and a single purple item. If you did queens missions when available you could have got 2 then an exotic from xur.

I've almost got enough strange coins for an exotic, but they also take a long time to get. It's no big deal, but I was hoping to get something going this weekend. Looks like that may not be the case.

anddo0

Yea done that already. Also whats the difference between turning in one engram at a time vs 10 at a time to the crypt?

Increases your chances of getting something worthwhile.

I followed the same strategy with bounties as well.
I would turn in 5 at a time, and coincidence or not they always led to exotic bounties.

For sure. It's important to realize that you could do the following on one character over the course of a week:
  • Weekly 28 Heroic Strike
  • Weekly Nightfall Strike
  • 4 Daily Heroic Stories
  • 4 Daily Public Events
  • 6 Tiger Playlist Strikes

and walk up to Xur that Friday with a total of... 9 Strange Coins. It's entirely possible. And the above sequence of play for a single week- I know this is going to sound nuts to some of you- is more hardcore than many people are playing this game right now, despite not even including a single roll of raid loot.

Yup. Great way to lay it out. This presupposes that said player is even at the level that would enable completion of above events. There really aren't that many level 26+ players out there, relatively speaking.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
When Destiny came out, I was still finishing up Diablo. As a result, I'm level 10 while all of my friends are level 26+. What's the best way for me to catch up? Or do things level accordingly if we jump into a mission together?

Strider

raid sparrow is slow compared to the one you upgrade yourself

Yea I just figured that out since I got the raid sparrow last night. Sucks since it was the only thing I got from completing the hard raid. I was hoping I'd at least be the fastest out there during patrol... but nope.

Deku Tree

I have a fully upgraded Apotheosis Veil exotic helm on my Warlock. But it has no intellect. But I just got a Skull of Dire Ahamkara exotic helm from Xur's exotic engram with good Intellect stats. I want Shards to get to level 29... and I don't want to get rid of a fully upgraded exotic helm... but I'd rather be running with the Skull of Dire Ahamkara if I was able to choose the one that I ideally wanted the most so I had a faster cooldown for my super...

If you have'n strange coin problems I feel for ya son, I got 99 problems but Xur ain't one...

Come along with me: Flo_Evans on the weekly heroic strike and witness the power of this (almost) FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE WEAPON!

Aza9SbL.png

lol this post was really cheesy. But I will help anyone that needs coins with the weekly tonight if you need it.

Very cheesy. But I laughed. So... not sure what that says about me.

I'll add you on PSN. I don't need help with the strike but I'll be around tonight to help others out as well (and I too will be demonstrating the power of the Sole Breaker).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Patrol mode, public events and tiger strikes mostly. I've gotten a total of 6 coins from weekly strikes. Last week's nightfall did net me 7.
Okay this alone. The 6 from a weekly strike and 7 from a nightfall. That's 13. That's an armor piece. Without the 7 you wouldn't have afforded that at all, let alone multiple pieces per week(?)

Coins from chests, public events, and engrams are random. The rates on blue engrams seem pretty decent but you could still pop 80 and have like 2 to show for it due to the nature of probability.

Based on this answer I am so far completely unconvinced of the viability of affording multiple items from Xur every without at least doing one Weekly Heroic Strike. 0
And to be fair, I'm not saying so many people have outright quit the game, but that those numbers COULD reflect the amount of people who play daily or even the majority of the week shrinking considerably since launch. Anecdotally, I'm definitely seeing this with my friends list.
That's... of course this is happening. You just blew my mind. You have described a known quantity, statistics aren't needed.

Look, let me go into these numbers a bit more. I think maybe we aren't getting the point gutter was trying to make.
Less than 22% own a single piece of exotic gear

Less than 4% of players have ever fully leveled a single exotic item.

Less than 4% of players have ever fully leveled a legendary

Less than 10% of players have finished leveling a single subclass.
Okay- first off, I haven't fully upgraded a legendary item yet, so being a part of that 96% isn't really shocking to me. Let's focus more on the first and fourth and look at their complementary stats
  • 78% of the playerbase does not have a piece of exotic gear yet
  • 90% of the playerbase has not fully maxed a subclass
If you want to disregard these majorities (say that the statistics are not representative of what gutter claims they are), you have to be willing to stake the claim that 78% and 90% of the people who bought the game are no longer playing it in a way that means they want any exotic gear or will eventually max their subclass. Does that really seem right to you? Even if you remove 20% from each group- let's call that group of millions of people the quitters, maybe they even returned their games- you still have strong majorities that have not yet accomplished these relatively, from our perspective, basic goals.

With this in mind, is it really more likely that only the hardcore minority is left playing destiny right now?

RedFury

I've almost got enough strange coins for an exotic, but they also take a long time to get. It's no big deal, but I was hoping to get something going this weekend. Looks like that may not be the case.
Well I'll be on in a bit with my bro and I can carry you thru lvl 26 weekly for 6 coins. We can probably run a 28 but don't wanna waste your time by being unable to complete it. We both just got ice breakers and I already soloed 26 with one of my alts. I'm thinking 28 won't be much harder with 2 IBs.

anddo0

When Destiny came out, I was still finishing up Diablo. As a result, I'm level 10 while all of my friends are level 26+. What's the best way for me to catch up? Or do things level accordingly if we jump into a mission together?

Too bad you missed the Queens bounty missions, ton's of xp.

Finish the story mode, and do your bounties. It shouldn't take long to reach 20-24.

If you have'n strange coin problems I feel for ya son, I got 99 problems but Xur ain't one...

Come along with me: Flo_Evans on the weekly heroic strike and witness the power of this (almost) FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE WEAPON!

Aza9SbL.png

lol this post was really cheesy. But I will help anyone that needs coins with the weekly tonight if you need it.

What about tomorrow? Like say, around lunch time? LOL

BraXzy

That feel when you're soloing the weekly strike, everything going swimmingly and it's gonna be an easy no death for two bounties. That feel when you clear a wave of enemies and then accidentally jump down a hole to your death.

Thanks for posting, that does look very nice. I doubt I'll get enough motes of light before it rotates out though. Is there a solid way to get motes? I've never really actively tried.

Same as strange coins minus that strike that gives guaranteed strange coins. Just do bounties and gain XP, do nightfall as soon as it resets so you get XP bonus throughout the week. There's little green bar under lvl 20 number in character screen, it fills up as you earn XP, and when its full it gives you one mote of light before reset.

Haines

Banned

Realistically. You can play crucible together.

Do bounties on patrol on earth together?

They could carry you through story but it will be super easy.

The game does not scale like diablo.

MADGAME

I just upgraded the Rare Sparrow from Vanguard with Emerald Drive this morning, which promoted it to Legendary status. I haven't tried it yet, but the speed/durability rating went up to 110. I'm hoping it's faster, but there is still a significant amount of empty bar that looks like it can be upgraded further (or other sparrows exist that will outclass it).

Can't wait to try it out later

That feel when you're soloing the weekly strike, everything going swimmingly and it's gonna be an easy no death for two bounties. That feel when you clear a wave of enemies and then accidentally jump down a hole to your death.
I_feel_you_bro.gif

I've lost count of how many times I've shot my speeder bike straight off a particular cliff in the steppes. No idea why but my brain keeps telling me that it's a shortcut even though it leads straight to oblivion

So dat Ice Breaker is now being sold by Xur... and I only have 4 coins :\

Looks like I'll be doing the Weekly Strike at 28 tonight and hope the RNGesus somehow gets me 4 more before Sunday morning.

Why do other players keep ignoring me when I try to show them the location of a chest I've found? Oh well.

I think it's because nobody is looking for a social interaction... because the game isn't a social one. I do the same thing as you in terms of trying to wave someone over if they are close and I come upon a chest. I'd say 15% of the time they actually notice me "pointing" at them-- maybe a shot at their feet followed by a shot toward the chest's location-- and come over to grab it. An emote "waves you over" or something could've helped immensely.

Really? Is there a vid showing a comparison? I thought the TB's base speed was just slightly faster and then when you do that double boost things get ridiculous; it's a shame they felt the need to make it only temporary and hard stop momentum by blowing it up. I think that while novel, it gets old really fast and people would want that double boost to remain. Bungie ought to have had the Shipright or someone sell some sort of upgrade that makes it not overload.

Word!!

Edit** mine was supering into a wall and dying :-/

Cømet

Banned
Being mad that other people got the cool stuff you already have is the funniest thing I've heard (read) all week. Bravo.

I sure didn't care that everyone got Suros two days after I got mine from the raid. Know why?

1. I'm still better than a massive chunk of them with it
2. It doesn't affect me, like, at all.

If you're going to then say it's not fair that your PvP advantage is now gone, let me pre-empt that by saying git gud and it shouldn't matter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll be very happy with additional content as the driver for us to keep playing. We haven't seen anything yet, so for me, it's just leveling up my 3 toons to level 30. Plus I just like the gameplay of the game - I played the strike during the beta probably 9 billion times.
I mean even if there's nothing else we already know there's DLC in two months with more strikes and a raid. It's pretty clear to me what they're going for, and I say that as someone who isn't even SOLD on the DLC yet by a longshot, despite loving the game. Pricing on that stuff is steeeeeeep.

Gameplay is #1. Everything else is secondary. Getting that right means that everything else is fixable.
As for the OT number, we'll see if we can reach 10!
Guild Wars 2 and Final Fantasy XIV are both uncommon successes on GAF as MMOs go. They have strong, stable communities. GW2 is on its OT4 approaching 5 and FF on its OT5. Guild Wars 2 is just over two years old. Destiny hit OT6 before leaving the front page.

I try not to dwell on it too much but... Destiny has actually been more successful than it gets credit for. Even the people who get outright pissed off at this game can't seem to stop playing and posting about it in these threads, and that is not a result of poor design.

RedFury

So dat Ice Breaker is now being sold by Xur... and I only have 4 coins :

Looks like I'll be doing the Weekly Strike at 28 tonight and hope the RNGesus somehow gets me 4 more before Sunday morning.

I think it's because nobody is looking for a social interaction... because the game isn't a social one. I do the same thing as you in terms of trying to wave someone over if they are close and I come upon a chest. I'd say 15% of the time they actually notice me "pointing" at them-- maybe a shot at their feet followed by a shot toward the chest's location-- and come over to grab it. An emote "waves you over" or something could've helped immensely.

Really? Is there a vid showing a comparison? I thought the TB's base speed was just slightly faster and then when you do that double boost things get ridiculous; it's a shame they felt the need to make it only temporary and hard stop momentum by blowing it up. I think that while novel, it gets old really fast and people would want that double boost to remain. Bungie ought to have had the Shipright or someone sell some sort of upgrade that makes it not overload.
I would say try iron banner. I've got 16 coins in the time iron banner has been out. I'm nearly level 3 for it so...I don't even want to know how many IB games I've played to get there.

I was going to ask if the Vanguard Rep is shared between your characters but I just thought that I could buy Vanguard Armor with one character and put them in the vault for the other characters, right?
Can I buy Warlock (or Hunter) Armor with a Titan?

Chitown B

Pvp is so damn laggy for me, kills all the fun. How come I don't have this problem when playing Titanfall.

agreed. Constantly getting melee kills from the grave. Uh, what? Also Shotty kills from the grave, where the animation for their death plays on my screen after I'm down.

Also seems like the bullets take a second to register when looking at the health of someone you're shooting. shoot, they shoot, then they die. Especially with Scouts. I guess maybe travel distance of the projectiles?

I get killed a lot after strafing behind a wall. I go to hide, get behind cover and half a second later die. It creates a false sense of cover. If I can't see them, they shouldn't be able to easily shoot me with a bullet.

jeffc919

I've got 27 Coins. I'd like that Icebreaker so my boss cheesiness is more effective but I wanna hold out for Suros Regime (it will be back one day, believe). Decisions.

Thinking the same. I only use snipers situationally in PvE, and almost never in PvP. I already have the raid sniper which is pretty good and has the low zoom scope, which is the only one I'm remotely comfortable using. I haven't checked but I don't think icebreaker has that.

I have 30-ish coins, but I want an exotic auto rifle, hand cannon, and fusion rifle more than I do a sniper.

nowai

Hahaha Xur officially broke the game!

If you don't buy the ice breaker, you are missing out on the best gun in the game.

Cømet

Banned
I'm wondering if we'll see new subclasses. Right now we've got:

Titan:
- Arc
- Void

Hunter:
- Solar
- Arc

Warlock:
- Solar
- Void

That leaves a slot open for a Solar Titan, a Void Hunter and an Arc Warlock. I'm imagining a Titan with a sunburst attack, and a Warlock that can shoot lighting from its hands.

I hope so. I wanna be a sun praising space paladin!

Why do other players keep ignoring me when I try to show them the location of a chest I've found? Oh well.

I ran into a guy doing that the other day. Was great. They waved, I waved, we ran around the moon pointing out helium to each other. Got loads real quick.

anddo0

Gear.You can always get by on offense with legendary weapons and good teammates

But when is the next time he'll get a shot at the Ice Breaker?

At lvl 25, the Ice Breaker eliminates the need to be carried (it's that OP).
Gear comes and goes, and at his level he could purchase legendaires from Vanguard or Crucible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
heroic or nightfall? heroic that's a chuckle and head shake, nightfall that is tears and alcohol ;_;
should I go with Ice Breaker or my first Exotic?
Exotic Armor (assuming that's what you mean).

Disregard everyone telling you to get Ice Breaker in response to this question. You're level 25, and progression from there makes an enormous difference. Even though Ice Breaker is an incredible weapon, there's no other concrete way to get exotic armor, and it will assist you in every situation whereas Ice Breaker is, for all its glory, a sniper rifle. There is no way to ensure you get an Exotic Armor drop, and even if you do it could be for another class. Weapon drops can be used by all classes.
But when is the next time he'll get a shot at the Ice Breaker?
Whenever it drops for him or Xur has it next. He has already repeated an exotic weapon.
At lvl 25, the Ice Breaker eliminates the need to be carried (it's that OP).
Ha, let's see him solo the nightfall with it at 25 and I'll buy that.
Gear comes and goes, and at his level he could purchase legendaires from Vanguard or Crucible.
Exotic armor has light on the same level as raid gear and he'll be replacing a blue.

There's no question here imo. I get that Ice Breaker is taken to be a game-ending piece of equipment but it does not get you through the raid merely by having it in your inventory.

I just upgraded the Legendary Sparrow from Vanguard with Emerald Drive this morning, which promoted it to Legendary status. I haven't tried it yet, but the speed/durability rating went up to 110. I'm hoping it's faster, but there is still a significant amount of empty bar that looks like it can be upgraded further (or other sparrows exist that will outclass it).

Can't wait to try it out later

The Rare Sparrow, yeah?

I've got the same kit as well. Rare Vanguard Sparrow (the white one) with the Emerald Coil Drive and I love it. It feels super fast and really does make getting around the maps less tedious.

The empty bar you mention though, I'm almost positive that's the "Durability" stat; its health. With the drive upgrade ours is now at 110. The Legendary Sparrow from the Raid, Timebreaker, is at 120 but someone here said it's not as fast (at its base, sustainable speed) as the ones we upgrade ourselves. That Destiny DB has another Legendary Sparrow as well as an Exotic that has yet to be seen... and I would hope Bungie would have a little foresight and bring out some other vehicles for use to purchase. Having an inventory full of Sparrows seems pointless. If you have other vehicles-- ones that are slower but with weapons, etc..-- available however, then those slots would make more sense, imo.

Cømet

Banned
heroic or nightfall? heroic that's a chuckle and head shake, nightfall that is tears and alcohol ;_;

Exotic Armor (assuming that's what you mean).

Disregard everyone telling you to get Ice Breaker in response to this question. You're level 25, and progression from there makes an enormous difference. Even though Ice Breaker is an incredible weapon, there's no other concrete way to get exotic armor, and it will assist you in every situation whereas Ice Breaker is, for all its glory, a sniper rifle. There is no way to ensure you get an Exotic Armor drop, and even if you do it could be for another class. Weapon drops can be used by all classes.

Until Xur next week ;)

Honestly I'd say get Ice Breaker. The armour won't disappear next week, just change. Ice Breaker probably won't be around again for at least a few weeks.
No need to rush through light progression. Let it happen naturally. I've only hit a wall now because of the need for raid gear, up til my first raid piece I've got my armour ugprades from random drops and factions (and of course the crest of alpha lupi, but I waited a week or so for that to pop up at xur's).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom