• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to ask if the Vanguard Rep is shared between your characters but I just thought that I could buy Vanguard Armor with one character and put them in the vault for the other characters, right?
Can I buy Warlock (or Hunter) Armor with a Titan?

Nope. I've tried.

Vanguard rep isn't shared between characters and you can't buy something for another class (outside of Xur).

Flo_Evans

Cømet;133759625 said:
Until Xur next week ;)

Honestly I'd say get Ice Breaker. The armour won't disappear next week, just change. Ice Breaker probably won't be around again for at least a few weeks.

No weapons have repeated as far as I can remember. It might be months...

anddo0

heroic or nightfall? heroic that's a chuckle and head shake, nightfall that is tears and alcohol ;_;

Exotic Armor (assuming that's what you mean).

Disregard everyone telling you to get Ice Breaker in response to this question. You're level 25, and progression from there makes an enormous difference. Even though Ice Breaker is an incredible weapon, there's no other concrete way to get exotic armor, and it will assist you in every situation whereas Ice Breaker is, for all its glory, a sniper rifle. There is no way to ensure you get an Exotic Armor drop, and even if you do it could be for another class. Weapon drops can be used by all classes.

I respectfully disagree.

Xur carries exotic armor every week.
when is the next time the Ice Breaker will be in the rotation if at all?

Chitown B

Yeah, I know. tried it Tuesday, not able to solo. Had IRL to deal with since then. Will try again tonight most likely.

it's pretty much the easiest 28 weekly so far. The boss is able to be shot from the tunnel before the final room. If you can't solo, grab another friend, but it's not too bad. Are you 27-28?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Get Ice Breaker while it is here. You can save up 13 Strange coins for next week and get an exotic armour piece then. Or try your luck at the exotic engram too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cømet;133759625 said:
Until Xur next week ;)

Honestly I'd say get Ice Breaker. The armour won't disappear next week, just change. Ice Breaker probably won't be around again for at least a few weeks.
No need to rush through light progression. Let it happen naturally. I've only hit a wall now because of the need for raid gear, up til my first raid piece I've got my armour ugprades from random drops and factions.
I respectfully disagree.

Xur carries exotic armor every week.
when is the next time the Ice Breaker will be in the rotation if at all?
well okay, fair enough. you guys are right depending on the answer to whether or not he wants to get to level ~27 and potentially raid before the next reset. if he's comfortable at his light level for the moment it's a good purchase.
No weapons have repeated as far as I can remember. It might be months...
Red Death has already repeated, in 4 visits.

Very cheesy. But I laughed. So... not sure what that says about me.

I'll add you on PSN. I don't need help with the strike but I'll be around tonight to help others out as well (and I too will be demonstrating the power of the Sole Breaker).

So I can complete the two 26 and 28 heroic weekly strikes to get 9 more if I've only done the 22 one right?

I would love some help! 26 Warlock
PSN: CometJP

jeffc919

Hahaha Xur officially broke the game!

If you don't buy the ice breaker, you are missing out on the best gun in the game.

I'll have to watch some videos to see what all the fuss is about. So far all I've gathered is that it auto-replenishes ammo, which is a nice perk, but I can't see that alone making it one of the best guns in the game. Seems like this will be great for taking down bosses in PvE, and just an all around good sniper for PvP, and a lot of the maps don't lend themselves well to using one. Am I missing anything?

Navid

Already bought Ice Breaker for my main Warlock but very tempted to pick up 2 more, one for each of my characters this weekend... It's pretty amazing for the single player portion of the game if you like using sniper rifles, I also have the Truth rocket-launcher but think Ice Breaker will be my go to exotic weapon.

hmmm, decisions decisions.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
well okay, fair enough. you guys are right depending on the answer to whether or not he wants to get to level ~27 and potentially raid before the next reset. if he's comfortable at his light level for the moment it's a good purchase.

Yeah that's more the point. If he can wait on leveling until next reset or next weekend even then he needs to grab the gun now. Not an easy choice if you are itching to try the harder strikes though.

Omg omg omg, ICEBREAKER?!

Don't think this makes us even game, I still hate you right now. I already had Voidfang from an engram, grenade energy is so so so good on my hunter and Locks have better grenades so I'd definitely pick that up if you don't own it.

Question.. do I buy two icebreakers?

I bought two so I don't have to migrate it between characters once I get both upgraded. But I had 62 coins and none of the armor interested me in the least so I had some to burn. Spent 7 coins on heavy weapon ammo synths too, lol.

Ambitious

I've been following this Public Event route posted on Reddit for 90min now, it's very reliable. So far I've done about 9 events and aquired about 100 pieces of Spinmetal, in addition to a bunch of blue engrams and a few hundred reputation points.

No ascendent shards or energy though, which actually were the reason I did all those events. Sigh.

Homeboyd

Already bought Ice Breaker for my main Warlock but very tempted to pick up 2 more, one for each of my characters this weekend... It's pretty amazing for the single player portion of the game if you like using sniper rifles. I also have the Truth rocket-launcher but think Ice Breaker will be my go to exotic weapon.

hmmm, decisions decisions.
Why? You can just vault it and pick it up on your alts for free.

Nameless

Okay this alone. The 6 from a weekly strike and 7 from a nightfall. That's 13. That's an armor piece. Without the 7 you wouldn't have afforded that at all, let alone multiple pieces per week(?)

Coins from chests, public events, and engrams are random. The rates on blue engrams seem pretty decent but you could still pop 80 and have like 2 to show for it due to the nature of probability.

Based on this answer I am so far completely unconvinced of the viability of affording multiple items from Xur every without at least doing one Weekly Heroic Strike. 0

The 6 from weekly were from two different strikes. I don't know what to yell you, man. Also factor in my Cryptarch is level 33-34 and My vanguard rank is 5, so that's nearly 40 more chances to be awarded blue engrams coins out right.

I will say the amount I get from blues seems to have gone down post patch. The week the Suros was on sale I bought Alpha Lupi Friday morning which took me down to 8 coins, but I was back up to 23 coins by Saturday night. I ultimately bought an armor piece to dismantle, but those15 coins were earned all through farming blues, pub evebts, and leveling Rahool.

grabbed an icebreaker this morning, Now the plan is to hit the weekly for 6 more coins on my warlock so I can afford the helm for titan. Drop my Chest of alpha lupi and slap on the raid chest.

I have found the faster revive on the alpha lupi chest isn't the best. The helm of inmost light seems better given it gives you subclass choices without actually waiting a slot on it? is that correct?

nowai

I'll have to watch some videos to see what all the fuss is about. So far all I've gathered is that it auto-replenishes ammo, which is a nice perk, but I can't see that alone making it one of the best guns in the game. Seems like this will be great for taking down bosses in PvE, and just an all around good sniper for PvP, and a lot of the maps don't lend themselves well to using one. Am I missing anything?

You are correct, I should correct myself.

Xur officially broke PvE!...he broke PvP when he sold Suros. ;)

The ammo regeneration is wonderful, but it is also the highest impact sniper.

It hits like a truck. No way my team could have cleared hard raid without two ice breakers.

jeffc919

I remember seeing a list a while back of the possible exotic weapons that Xur could sell. I don't have the link anymore. Does anyone know if this was data mined somehow or was it just someone guessing? It was a subset of the exotics so it suggested that some exotics would never be for sale. For instance, I don't think any of the hand cannons or fusion rifles were listed. Just would be good to know what the possibilities are for future weeks when trying to decide to buy a given week's weapon.

Sorry buddy, I'm at work. Happy to help this weekend though.

And Hawkian, I had this long ass reply written up to your post a few pages back, but this thread moves so fast and people seem to have moved on that I won't bother to post it. We can just agree to disagree on the best way to entice people to keep playing in the long term. I think people need top of the line gear as a carrot to keep playing (especially with limited content) and by making the carrot easier to get, Bungie is lessening people's incentive to play (as what happened to you in Diablo 3).

Sure, happy to respectfully disagree. The game's not similar to Diablo 3. If Bungie were attempting to create a similar loot-upgrade-progress-repeat system as Diablo, Torchlight, Borderlands, Marvel Heroes, etc. they would have quite failed, certainly, and Xur would be a horrible idea. But they aren't, and the things that will be needed to keep people playing are different (more content, the top line item by a long shot).

We'll just have to wait and see with regard to keeping people playing. I would nudge your attention toward the OT number and the page number up there in the corner as evidence in my corner.

edit: I just had a weird thought. Hawkmoon is the only exotic I cared about getting in the entire game. I have it. Am I weird for wanting to keep playing without that to look forward to...? I didn't even think about it until now.

I would have to back up hawkian on this given that the loot system is so random anyway. Two players could work their butts off trying to get the drop they wanted and someone else will get it on their first run, out of luck. With that system in place i don't see the point of complaining or making rare guns harder to get. I feel more people would be willing to put in the work to get said rare loot but its all hidden until you do your homework. Even with that said most things still comes down to the luck of the draw.

Haines

Banned
Killer addictive gameplay. People may love to hate on Destiny, but Bungie got a big core group fully hooked.

Yeah it got me. Its damn mmo hooks. Swore to never play an mmo.and destiny is like a friggen Trojan horse.

But I can't even read this thread at work. I leave for 2 minutes and its 2 more pages up.

In community!

Which I don't get. Why is diablo still on the main page but not destiny.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah that's more the point. If he can wait on leveling until next reset or next weekend even then he needs to grab the gun now. Not an easy choice if you are itching to try the harder strikes though.
Mhm. I'm really thinking mostly about the raid. Yes, Ice Breaker is spectacular and great help inside, but you can't even get in at 25. (Well, I guess you can go in the door but you know what I mean.) With that exotic chest he could spend marks on gauntlets or boots and easily get to 27 over the weekend.

Like many things in Destiny, it's a question of what the individual player wants to prioritize. I shouldn't have spoken so definitively, just answered on instinct.

I've been following this Public Event route posted on Reddit for 90min now, it's very reliable. So far I've done about 9 events and aquired about 100 pieces of Spinmetal, in addition to a bunch of blue engrams and a few hundred reputation points.

No ascendent shards or energy though, which actually were the reason I did all those events. Sigh.

Things are getting mean out in the wilds, mate. The last 5 PEs I've been in had only one person in the group get anything from it; the other people-- myself included-- immediately turned toward the lucky bastard in frustration and unloaded our clips, grenades, missiles. The whole lot.

Definitely picking up an Icebreaker later today.

Also, I saw the discussion a while back on buying/earning weapons.

I like having the options to buy weapons, but I do agree that getting weapons through, say, Nightfall Weekly or the Raid is *a lot* more satisfying.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Red Death has already repeated, in 4 visits.

I would like to hit the Raid before the next reset. It wouldn't be possible to get greedy this weekend and try to get both?

13 strange coins is doable? I've been hitting the 2nd hardest weekly strikes with friends of mine and getting through them after trial and error.

Oh my god, that cloak is so nice. I love the cloaks you can get with Motes.. I finally have enough to get the exotic helm from Xur with one though so I'm conflicted.

He's going to screw you over with wrong class helm, so unless you have alt characters with different classes that can use it, do you really wanna gamble 23 motes on it?

Nodnol

Daily on 28 just gave me a Legendary Primary Engram! Woop.

To the Cryptarch!

Edit: Gave me a duplicate Proxima Centauri II Scout Rifle. Radar stays up when ADS, but I have Knucklehead Radar anyway....or do I keep it if I ever switch Exotics?

jay23

My Shadow Price has it... and it's awesome. 42 in the clip and 500 carried. Did you buy yours? I got mine when I leveled vanguard rep to 3. It has different perks than the one that is sold through the quartermaster.

Yup bought it from vanguard. It seems like the weapons that drop always have better perks.

MADGAME

The Rare Sparrow, yeah?

I've got the same kit as well. Rare Vanguard Sparrow (the white one) with the Emerald Coil Drive and I love it. It feels super fast and really does make getting around the maps less tedious.

The empty bar you mention though, I'm almost positive that's the "Durability" stat; its health. With the drive upgrade ours is now at 110. The Legendary Sparrow from the Raid, Timebreaker, is at 120 but someone here said it's not as fast (at its base, sustainable speed) as the ones we upgrade ourselves. That Destiny DB has another Legendary Sparrow as well as an Exotic that has yet to be seen... and I would hope Bungie would have a little foresight and bring out some other vehicles for use to purchase. Having an inventory full of Sparrows seems pointless. If you have other vehicles-- ones that are slower but with weapons, etc..-- available however, then those slots would make more sense, imo.

Flagrant error on my part, I definitely meant the rare. I want the raid sparrow too, but IMO I favor speed over durability. I haven't been in too many situations where I need to get off my Sparrow due to damage, but always want to get to the other side of the map faster!

Thanks for the info.

Navid

Why? You can just vault it and pick it up on your alts for free.
Yeah, but that would mean a lot of back and forth between logging in with different characters and traveling to and from the Tower... I guess it's just a question of convenience.

Think I just need to run the Weekly Strike one more time on 26 or 28 to be able to afford it.

My Shadow Price has it... and it's awesome. 42 in the clip
Ah, this is my only problem with my Shadow Price (bought) 25 rounds just seem 10 too few for my liking... 42 in that thing must be great!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The 6 from weekly were from two different strikes. I don't know what to yell you, man. Also factor in my Cryptarch is level 33-34 and My vanguard rank is 5, so that's nearly 40 more chances to be awarded blue engrams coins out right.
So you have done multiple weekly heroic strikes -_-
I will say the amount I get from blues seems to have gone down post patch.
Ha! Pure RNG, my rate has tripled or so.
The week the Suros was on sale I bought Alpha Lupi Friday morning which took me down to 8 coins, but I was back up to 23 coins by Saturday night. I ultimately bought an armor piece to dismantle, but those15 coins were earned all through farming blues, pub evebts, and leveling Rahool.
Okay, could you just tell me if you are willing to accept that you were incredibly lucky (or not, depending on if you wanted the coins)? All of those sources are random rolls.

I play a goddamn ton and the idea that you can just easily obtain 15 coins overnight through the methods you have listed is hilarious to me. I've never come anywhere close. It's random.
I remember seeing a list a while back of the possible exotic weapons that Xur could sell. I don't have the link anymore. Does anyone know if this was data mined somehow or was it just someone guessing? It was a subset of the exotics so it suggested that some exotics would never be for sale. For instance, I don't think any of the hand cannons or fusion rifles were listed. Just would be good to know what the possibilities are for future weeks when trying to decide to buy a given week's weapon.
I don't think anyone knows, but it didn't have the gauntlets I need on it so I hope it's wrong!

Hasn't been contradicted so far.
Solo'd the 28 Story with the Ice Breaker. That thing is amazing.
The 28 Heroic Story you mean? What level are you...?

I don't mean to trivialize this accomplishment at all but were people really not capable of soloing these before getting Ice Breaker? o_o

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Any opinions on Grim Citizen III? Since Ice Breaker is taking up my exotic weapon slot, I'll need something to replace Red Death and MIDA Tool as my primary.

malfcn

Anyone else feel like Destiny is killing batteries in controllers faster than other games?

What.the.Fuck Bungie.
I go idle for a few minutes while during the Daily and I get booted.

What if I have to take a dump?
LOSE ALL PROGRESS!

Dude I make no effort to collect strange coins. I have one character, so no alt exploits. I've yet to even get a full 9 coins from doing weekly's. Still, each week I've had enough to buy multiple items from Xur. But that's besides the point. These stats you keep throwing around(from a single platform) could just be an early symptom of Destiny's base ironing out into a small but dedicated group of core gamers--in which case my worries are probably exacerbated since these are the people who you'll be interacting with the most going forward.

I don't see how making PvE teams stronger is going to be a problem, so I assume the worry is in PvP? Icebreaker or any one Xur exotic isn't going to ever dramatically change PvP until the entire crucible is overhauled, because there is no custom match making where you could be specifically squaring off against some other core group or clan of players who are getting those "easy" Xur exotics. Suros was supposed to ruin PvP the other week, but shotguns still reign supreme. Even in the much hyped IB, where all these little stat differences were going to make all the difference, was a complete bust. The very first weapon you get in the game holds its own no problem.

What exactly is it that you are worried about? That your KDR might change? That complete dumb luck RNG that has benefited some people with hours to burn, is more noble than a vendor and you feel slighted? In this case I am not being patronizing, I am sincerely curious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely picking up an Icebreaker later today.

Also, I saw the discussion a while back on buying/earning weapons.

I like having the options to buy weapons, but I do agree that getting weapons through, say, Nightfall Weekly or the Raid is *a lot* more satisfying.
Oh I completely agree with this by the way. Love that feeling of getting an exotic roll from an activity completion. It's great, it's an adrenaline rush! It's just random.

It's a balance. I am really, really REALLY glad, personally, as someone who has been consistently screwed by RNG in almost every game I've touched in the past
Dax I have 2 mida multi-tools now I'm sorry please dont hurt me
, that I can save for and buy some awesome endgame gear that I actually want.
I would like to hit the Raid before the next reset. It wouldn't be possible to get greedy this weekend and try to get both?

13 strange coins is doable? I've been hitting the 2nd hardest weekly strikes with friends of mine and getting through them after trial and error.
Have you done the weekly strike yet? If you haven't and you can do the 28 to get 9, I'd say totally doable. If not, a stretch.

void666

Banned
I assume every one is the same, in which case, you'll be wanting to stock up on spinmetal :)

I wonder if it's random. Got my ice breaker from a purple engram and it needs helium for upgrades. My the devil you know also from a purple uses helium filaments. Nothing i'm using right now needs spinmetal.

nowai

Anyone else feel like Destiny is killing batteries in controllers faster than other games?

What.the.Fuck Bungie.
I go idle for a few minutes while during the Daily and I get booted.

What if I have to take a dump?
LOSE ALL PROGRESS!

Heh, do you use an AR? I'm a hand cannon guy and when I first equipped an AR, I was alarmed at how much rumble was being used.

Battery eater for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom