• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

NastyBook

So after cheesing the Archon Priest on the Weekly with my Warlock, I get two Legendary Engrams. One for the head and arm. Take em back to the Cryptarch hoping that Legendary arm will decrypt for my Warlock, so I'll have a Leg gear to go with my Exotic helm whenever I switch out. Turns into a Titan Gauntlet, and the Helmet is for my Hunter. Damn. But what's this? Leveled up the Cryptarch with those two engrams, so I head over the postmaster to get my prize. Damn, it's only two rare engrams, gun and leg. Whatever. Take em over to the Cryptarch, along with a decoherent and special weapon engram to get cleared. Deco turns into rare band, and the legs turn INTO LEGENDARY LEG ARMOR!

You're still playing your games, eh, Rahool?

I know that game is RNG, but I can't help but be slightly salty when the person with the worst KDA(who hasn't even been there the whole game) gets an exotic.

ethomaz

Banned
i have the shader and emblem.
suppose playing with randoms, causes less wins and less rep.
That sucks.

Sometimes I lost even making a really good match with 20 kills and over 2 k/d but in my team have some guys that kils only 4-5 players. But sometimes I get a good random team and win three or four matches in a row.

I believe Bungie need to give rep for loose too... so it will make people stop to left the match too.

I'm surprised at how many people are "cheesing" the raid, and hoping for it not to be patched. It's kind of amoral. Not only that, but how many people are proud of the fact they exploited the raid is kind of disturbing. I exploited the Templar with the platform trick when I first started doing hard, and felt guilty about it. Like I was sneaking my way into a dinner party where I wasn't invited. I honestly hope they patch that too, it's almost become the standard for the raid, I've yet to find a random group where it's done properly.

Unless you've done all the Nightfall strikes without using any cheese, you ain't got a leg to stand on breh

I'll need a Youtube video of you doing Nightfall Phogoth without cheesing him as proof

Korosenai

Arent you supposed to get normal mode loot along with hard mode loot if you do hard mode first on the raid?

I just did it and realized that I only got hard mode loot, even though i havent touched normal.

I feel bad about it up until the moment I realize that i'm still at the mercy of RNGesus.

This game cheeses most of us way more than we'll ever cheese it.

Fair enough, and I really do have more time than most people, I'm on break from university working part time while attempting to transfer. Averaging out my time I've spent about 4 hours a day on Destiny (with alot of in orbit afk'ing)... Pretty disgusted at myself actually. I don't know, I guess I'm still just nostalgic from my early MMO days where you could really set yourself apart with your skill. I guess I'm the Epeen guy in a way. I like having something I earned that I can flaunt and say, look what trials I have passed, you too can stand on this hill victorious if you want it enough.

ethomaz

Banned
The point system in control is so fucked. How is it you capture two zones and lose the lead. Then you have all three and the score barely moves but then when the other team captures one zone they get the lead again.

How in the hell
Well I saw a lot of guys that move from the control point when there is another team guy inside it but it is not how it works.

You need to have all the group in the control to get the most points... you win 75 (capture) + 25 (neutralize) per player that is into the control zone... so if you have a group of three guys you will receive 300 points while if just one guy stay there you get only 75.

You need to move in group and capture in group... it helps to kill enemies too that give you 150-250 points (depends of the bonus + assists).

Team work matters in the Control.

Edit - You need to see the way the match is going... sometimes you are losing trying to reach the others controls points... so you can change the match starting to defend one control point knows where the enemies will be (most guys do always the same track from A to B to A to B or do in circles like A to B to C to A... break this trend to win the match... be smart and surprise the opposite team.

You can make the flow of the match even with randoms (since they are good randoms). Control is all about strategy (I love it).

Arent you supposed to get normal mode loot along with hard mode loot if you do hard mode first on the raid?

I just did it and realized that I only got hard mode loot, even though i havent touched normal.

that's odd, you definitely should of gotten the normal mode loot as well.

Nicko

I'm 5 ascendent shards from leveling up my queen gear enough to get me to lvl 26. I really want to try to do the lvl 26 weekly heroic tomorrow to get 6 strange coins, which means I also need to try to get to level 26 so i'm not totally useless in the strike.

I've been doing the public events and have gotten 1 ascendent shard and energy so far. Anyone know a quicker way to get ascendent energy?

And on a side note, anyone up for doing the weekly heroic on 26 tomorrow between 6-8 pm PST?

Challenge Accepted, next time we get Phogoth for nightfall I'll send it your way.

These are the conditions:

You are not allowed to stand outside Phogoth's room and shoot him from the chamber in front of it, the room with the mob that spawns on the ceiling.

You are not allowed to hide behind the rock to the far left of the chamber where Phogoth cannot shoot you.

You are not allowed to purposely leave the adds on the far right platforms alive to prevent new adds from spawning.

These are all considered "cheese" because they attempt to bypass certain mechanics of that fight.

With the way the game handles health and shields the best strategy is always to get somewhere that minimises incoming damage. If we could take more damage or if there was something like life on kill/hit then being in the thick of it, duking it out would make more sense. Finding cheese spots as people like to call them is the most efficient way to deal with major encounters.

I think it's a bit different on the raid though, essentially you are having two warlocks or whatever do all the work for you by abusing a mechanic meant to protect the boss. The raid on hard is about being at the pinnacle of coordination and teamwork. (Before people say they don't have people to play with, all the people I play with on hard started as PUGs.) This kind of devalues the work teams have put in. This doesn't really have to do with using cover efficiently, although the cheese method does involve a little of that.

You are not allowed to stand outside Phogoth's room and shoot him from the chamber in front of it, the room with the mob that spawns on the ceiling.

You are not allowed to hide behind the rock to the far left of the chamber where Phogoth cannot shoot you.

You are not allowed to purposely leave the adds on the far right platforms alive to prevent new adds from spawning.

These are all considered "cheese" because they attempt to bypass certain mechanics of that fight.

never really noticed the guys on the right don't respawn because I'm too busy with the wizards/knights/thralls on my ass from the left side.

Ken

I think it's a bit different on the raid though, essentially you are having two warlocks or whatever do all the work for you by abusing a mechanic meant to protect the boss. The raid on hard is about being at the pinnacle of coordination and teamwork. (Before people say they don't have people to play with, all the people I play with on hard started as PUGs.) This kind of devalues the work teams have put in. This doesn't really have to do with using cover efficiently, although the cheese method does involve a little of that.

Don't you have to do a portal first before you get unlimited super?

I think checkpoints/bosses give double drops but you can still get the normal chests afterward. I got an armor piece and a weapon at once earlier.

TTG

I'm surprised at how many people are "cheesing" the raid, and hoping for it not to be patched. It's kind of amoral. Not only that, but how many people are proud of the fact they exploited the raid is kind of disturbing. I exploited the Templar with the platform trick when I first started doing hard, and felt guilty about it. Like I was sneaking my way into a dinner party where I wasn't invited. I honestly hope they patch that too, it's almost become the standard for the raid, I've yet to find a random group where it's done properly.

"Cheesing" is inherent to the design of the game. The strategy for almost all strike bosses is to find a particular spot in the geometry where you can get your shot and the enemy can't(because they're usually shooting some ridiculous cannon/minigun/whatever that's the furthest thing from adroit and they are the size of a small building). Go ahead and list all of the brilliant tactical moves you've been making that don't take advantage of this, it's not because we're all inept, it's that these encounters stink and would never pass in a proper Bungie fps.

So when someone takes it to the next level, getting rid of a bullet sponge headache in a minute, that's praiseworthy from where I'm sitting.

Just solo'd Atheon hard mode. Got my 3rd freaking ship and some ass shards for my trouble. Kill me..

How in the hell do you solo Atheon in hard mode, doesn't someone have to go in the portals? or do you jump before he sends you in, self rez then throw grenades or something?

Don't you have to do a portal first before you get unlimited super?

Yes, but one time through the portal is pretty easy, the key is not losing people over the extended fight. That being said, Atheon is pretty much the easiest part of the raid, so I'd be happy if they just fixed lockouts. There's an abundance of people who simply skip to Atheon using how the save state for raids work (ie. you just have to go in with someone who has the save to get it), then cheese him.

rdrr gnr

Lol.

Anyone really good at knocking Atheon of the cliff and wouldn't mind doing it maybe twice to help our group finally finish the hard mode raid? PS4, name same as here

zewone

how did you get to him solo?

i want to try this solo.
A couple of buddies and I got a hard mode check point. Just change characters and load an alt into the match and the alt will have a checkpoint there too.
How in the hell do you solo Atheon in hard mode, doesn't someone have to go in the portals? or do you jump before he sends you in, self rez then throw grenades or something?
Only Sunsinger can do it. Turn on perk for two nades and rush him. Once he's near the edge he can walk off, throw a nade in front of him. Once he backs up, throw the 2nd nade. He'll fall off after the 2nd.

TTG

Pocket Infinity or Super Good Advice? I already have Invective and Ice Breaker, so the secondary weapon slot is kind of filled, but I've only used fusion rifles reluctantly when a skull is on, maybe it's time to try.

A couple of buddies and I got a hard mode check point. Just change characters and load an alt into the match and the alt will have a checkpoint there too.

Only Sunsinger can do it. Turn on perk for two nades and rush him. Once he's near the edge he can walk off, throw a nade in front of him. Once he backs up, throw the 2nd nade. He'll fall off after the 2nd.

I... I don't even. Maybe next time Bungie.

ethomaz

Banned

I'm not getting this challenge :D

It it solo or in team? I remember we did this nightfall without any cheese with lvl 26 and the hardest part is when 3 wizards spawn in the battle... kill them fast and everything will be under control... the boss is really really easy.

Now with lvl 29 (or 30) it will be easy to do it.

Ken

Anyone really good at knocking Atheon of the cliff and wouldn't mind doing it maybe twice to help our group finally finish the hard mode raid? PS4, name same as here

is there any difference from knocking him off in normal versus hard? i've done it in normal but never tried hard; also only level 28.

ethomaz

Banned
You can solo with Titan too.... any class with two grenades.

eneko

ok well if that group needs it right now let me know i guess i can try

nya_08

don't have a mic but i can listen in

am i going to have super or do i have to do the solar grenades x2 thing?

I did it as a 28 warlock. Just need the double solar grenades.

EDIT: Also, Atheon seems to behave oddly if there are a lot of people in the fireteam. Much easier solo or with 2.

mAcOdIn

Is there anyone interested in helping me finish the raid on normal? I should have the checkpoint at the gatekeepers. Was going to call it a night but I remembered that I'm probably not going to get off before it resets tomorrow.

If anyone's interested hit me up on PSN(PS4): mAcOdIn
Lvl 29 Hunter

This will be my first time beating it so I don't really have everything down yet but I have a mic, can listen if anyone's got any pointers and have another 4 or 5 hours from this point before I have to go to bed. Or if there's a group around the same spot I'm down for joining.

I'm not getting this challenge :D

It it solo or in team? I remember we did this nightfall without any cheese with lvl 26 and the hardest part is when 3 wizards spawn in the battle... kill them fast and everything will be under control... the boss is really really easy.

Now with lvl 29 (or 30) it will be easy to do it.

I don't even know, I was just listing the various cheese techniques I know of on that fight. I'm not even offering a reward for completing it, I just want to see if he really cares about his ePeen or not and will really do it and post a Youtube video just because someone on the Internet challenged him to do it.

I remember when I did that Nightfall I was level 24 or something, with 2 people who were level 25. Everything in that room oneshotted us, so we stood outside the room, ran back to the room before it when the Shrieker came out, and plinked away at Phogoth for what seemed like forever until he died. None of us had any weapons that corresponded with the burn that week, it was like the 2nd week of the game's release or something. I have no idea what being 29/30 with the appropriate weapons would be like on that fight.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Sent you a FR, online now.

Edit; oh lol, would've liked the checkpoint but I see you've gone ahead and done it solo...

Anyone here with a Hard Atheon checkpoint?

J-Rzez

Damn. So there's no way to solo atheon hard with a hunter? I'm having terrible luck with my raid group getting past templar and I can't seem to get the chest to drop to hit 30.

Midas

Haha, this will be fix within days. Wouldn't be surprised it it's fixed today. I actually want them to fix it, because I know I will do this, but I want to get the gear without doing it. But I can't help myself. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom