• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me or is playing as a Defender super boring coming from a Sunbro? Can I have some tips to make it less boring?

PvP or PvE?

PvP can be hilarious when people don't know how to deal with the bubble. They run inside and just get melee'ed to death, over and over. I've gotten a 5 kill streak in about 30 seconds this way. If you see a charged up Titan running your way though, abandon ship! Personally I prefer either Armor or Blessing of Light and don't use Weapons of Light much in PvP.

PvE Defenders are incredibly useful, especially for high level raid groups. Throwing up the bubble can be even better than the Warlock self-res since it also gives a safe spot for teammates that might be on the edge. An Illuminated WoL buff with Atheon makes all the difference in the world for a coordinated team.

Took me a while to warm up to it, but Defender has a ton of strategic uses. It's become easily my preferred subclass.

cjp

I have the Invective exotic shotgun, but man I just do not get shotguns in this game. I feel like a lot of people just blast through PVP with them, but the range is so awful from mid-range, and switching to it is way too slow when I run into someone head on.

Blind Watch is the only map I really don't like.

Keep an eye on the radar and switch when you know someone's really close to you or you're about to run into them.

hydruxo

RE: Super Good Advice - I have no upgrades on it and the recoil is perfectly manageable if you feather the trigger carefully and just let off 2-3 round bursts in quick succession. You can actually get mainly headshots like that and the fire rate is still pretty high.

Really no point in wasting your exotic weapon slot for a machine gun that is average when you can use literally any other legendary MG that will do the job better. Might as well go with Zombie Apocalypse, The Swarm, or Deviant Gravity.

Ken

Wow, legendary boots engram from Weekly turned into energy. Legendary weapon engram from cryptarch turned into shards.

I know those are useful items but it sure is deflating.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Public Time Event drops are random
You are guaranteed one material daily from the postmaster, reset @5AM EST, you can do an event get 1 item in the mail again

My hunter was 15 and did 5 PTE's in a row while I was farming chests, 4 times I got extra drops
Went on my level 10 Titan did 3 in a row, only once got extra bonus
Went on 28 Warlock, 0 out of 7 PTE's in a row did something drop

So yes it's random when it comes to finishing a PTE

Why the hell did no 1 tell me you can straight up Vehicle Jihad Taliban style with the Speeder you get from Atheon, holy hell is it fun to do

As much as possible use your ass shards only on an Exotic (preferably helmet since the raid helm only drops on Hard) until you run the raid and **hopefully** get at least one piece of raid gear that you can put more shards into.
Thank, had no idea the raid helmet only drops on hard. Hopefully Xur will have a exotic hunter helmet this weekend.

Finally hit 30. Wish we had better customisation options.

Congrats!

No. Both will be patched for sure. They never announced they were fixing the loot cave until they did it and that went on for a bit after being discovered. For the loot cave, they adjusted the respawn timers and it was that simple. It's just that this one is harder to fix, considering it's an issue inherent with the AI pathing in the game. It's not as simple as saying they could patch it the day after, they can't just band-aid it because people will find ways to break the weak fix they applied. They have to come up with something that completely prevents the cheesing from happening again, the way it is now, at least.

This might take awhile, so grab a cup of coffee.

In MMO development, there is this concept of measuring harm to the game compared to financial harm to the MMO developer and publisher. What I mean is that when you decide how to handle an exploit found by players, you have to weigh how much the game is being harmed by players exploiting compared with how much you will harm your company financially if you start banning players or rolling their characters back. If it is determined by internal analysis that you'll do more harm to yourself financially by patching an exploit and/or banning or rolling back exploiting players, you will prefer to leave the exploit alone and just address the root cause of the exploit in the next tier of content such as the new raid.

So Bungie's cost-benefit analysis goes as follows. They ideally want players to keep playing until December, and they want these players to buy the first expansion. This Atheon cheese exploit has now been available for nearly a week, although most players didn't find out about it until the weekend. Many players have probably killed Atheon using this exploit now. As the saying goes, you can't close the stable door after the horse has bolted. There is no financial analysis which suggests they should ban many thousands of players who have used this exploit, that's causing financial harm to yourself because banned players aren't known for giving you more money afterwards. Unless Bungie already has measures in place to track Atheon kills, they don't know which players killed Atheon legit and which ones exploited, so selectively rolling back characters is probably not an option.

The other issue is that they have now let thousands of players already exploit this particular bug in Atheon's AI. So now if they patch the exploit, many players who heard about it but didn't have a chance to do it will be angry when they realize that they are getting killed over and over by Vex Mythoclast in PvP and they can't get one anytime soon, if ever. The issue of when it's "too late" to patch an exploit is not a trivial one, in MMO communities late exploit patches create a community mentality of "exploit early, exploit often" to get on the gravy train right as it leaves the station and before it's derailed by a patch.

In most MMOs, exploits are monitored aggressively by the live teams and patched as quickly as possible, this minimizes the harm done to the game, it ensures only a few players are able to do it before it's patched, and so financial harm to the company is minimized because only a few players will need to be banned. Some companies purposely take the opposite stance, they care so little about harm to their own finances that they will purposely leave exploits unpatched for months so they can trap as many players as possible and ban them all later. Former players of Final Fantasy XI know what I'm talking about here.

From what I've seen, it's clear that Bungie are pretty in over their heads in terms of managing an always-online multiplayer game. They don't have the decade-plus experience of Blizzard, Sony Online Entertainment, Square-Enix, NCSoft, etc. in managing this kind of game. They should have addressed this exploit quickly after it was found, as it essentially lets you defeat the final end boss of this game's only endgame raid in about 30 seconds solo with a little practice. They have let this exploit go on too long already. So they have a pretty difficult decision to make now. They really should patch this exploit. They should have patched it within a day of it being discovered. But they have no choice now, many thousands of players have now used this exploit and if they don't patch it everybody will be using it to kill Atheon within the next week as it is now widely known and in the wild.

But there will certainly be backlash now, because the community will now be separated into players who got in on this and players who didn't, which will persist until the first expansion, the level cap raise, and the release of the new raid. The community will now be trained to "exploit early, exploit often" and furthermore they will tend to try and keep found exploits secret and passed only by word of mouth so that they won't get patched. This is unavoidable now, but the damage to the game will be so great between now and December that it has to be patched. In short, backlash or no, Bungie has to patch this. If not, everyone and their mother will be running around with Vex Mythoclast in another week or so.

Maybe that's not such a bad thing, all-Mythoclast PvP matches would be pretty damn entertaining. More entertaining than PvP is right now, anyways.

Tovarisc

I have the Invective exotic shotgun, but man I just do not get shotguns in this game. I feel like a lot of people just blast through PVP with them, but the range is so awful from mid-range, and switching to it is way too slow when I run into someone head on.

Learn maps and through that you should learn when it's good to keep your primary or shotty equipped. Actively swapping weapons is the key because you don't want into CQB with AR, but same time for long hallways you want it.

you switch to it? most people i've encountered who use shotguns have it out at all times and they just run around with it.

I like to actively swap between my AR, Shotty & LMG depending on situation and area of map X. There is very little point to run around with shotty out 24/7.

Wait around corners or in tight spaces for other people to come to you. Only try to capture points where you are forced to be in close quarters.

Don't encourage people to be PvP cunts :< There is already enough corner fappers with their Fusion Rifles and Shotties.

hydruxo

There's a perk on the Shadow Price that I got last night that speeds up reloads when the mag hits 0. That is going to be so clutch.

Omni

So I've hit rank 30. Done the raid 4 times on normal and 1 time on hard. Have 6 or so exotic weapons. Done the 5 strikes almost 200 times. Spent hours playing through story missions and 'patrolling'

I think after a month I'm finally done with Destiny. Nothing else left to do... well except starting the grind again with a new class. But screw that. They're not even that different anyway

I usually use magnetic, sometimes suppressor in PvE. Spike is horrible.
Oh.... what does suppressor do in pve? Does it make the wizards stop shooting hadokens?!?!
Is it me or is playing as a Defender super boring coming from a Sunbro? Can I have some tips to make it less boring?
I enjoy defender because I feel like I can't be stopped

Though I can't lie, this shoulder charge with striker is funny as hell

"exploit early, exploit often"

This was definitely the lesson of that bungled Queen's Bounty event, haha. I had 3 helmets sitting in my stash when they patched out the shards from dismantling.

I hope they patch Atheon soon simply because it's boring. I think any strategy that works (without cheating) is completely legit, and I don't care too much about PvP balance. I just get bored, and much prefer the fun of a well-coordinated team.

I think after a month I'm finally done with Destiny. Nothing else left to do... well except starting the grind again with a new class. But screw that. They're not even that different anyway

But what about the Platinum trophy?? Just kidding, but honestly I would love to get a group together to try for the no-death raid trophy. Sounds like a fun challenge.

Have people who only bought the base game originally pre-ordered the Expansions? Or just the opposite and decided they are done for good? I'm tempted since it would get me awfully close to the $15 free credit for spending $100 on PSN (Destiny DLC + Bloodbourne).

Zakalwe

Banned

Of course the range is awful from mid, it's supposed to be. They're getting a nerf soon too, because the range is actually too far.

Most Shoguns aren't built for having out as a primary imo, they're for pulling out at the last minute and scoring a cqc kill. You can tear around at full pelt with your shotgun always out as long as no one pays attention and plays to counter you. Rumble is good for it as most players there have no idea how to play effecitvely, but for the most part you might find it difficult to get close enough to score a kill if you just go full shotgun.

For that reason, a shotgun with the quick switch ability is gold dust. My comedian has longer slide and quick switch, it's an "opponant off" button for whenever I find somone in my face or I know they're around the corner.

I love sniper rifles, but I always feel a bit exposed when I don't have my shotgun. Maybe because I primarily play Defender.

Dumping a Ward on a point and pulling out my shotgun almost always nets me a few easy kills, too. If I see a flashing level number approaching I move back and they almost always attack the ward instead of me leaving them exposed to a face full of shotgun.

Anyway, The invective is a beast. It takes forever to reload and is slow to switch to, but once you tame it with stability upgrades you can unload the full four burst without losing your target. Even better, a quick double tap will keep the weapon more stable than a trigger squeeze and you can fire the two shots at blistering speed. Guaranteed kill if you're on target. You just need to get used to the flow of it, the downtime and switch speed. Saying that, I find Invective is best played as a primary than a panic button. When I run Invective I use an AR as my secondary panic button if I get caught out during downtime or at distance.

Even when the range is nerfed the Invective will be glorious.

jetsetrez

They should really add a fifth section to the menus to display your accomplishments/medals. Also, a sixth section for in-game grimoire shit.

Tekku

I have som frustrating connection issues atm. Getting kicked from planets and cannot land on them. Happens very randomly.

Anyone else?

Was looking for a fresh hard mode run on Destinylfg.net/com now that my hunter has hit 29. Not a single group, all are begging for checkpoint at Atheon, or looking for more to cheese him. Disgusting.

Store bought Grim Citizen or Vanquisher? I'm just about capped crucible marks on my alt Titan from playing IB and his factions aren't very far along so I should probably a choice now.

Actually now that I think about it, does anybody have a hard mode save where the maze is?

Thought being that if I joined your group, could I not loot the 2 chests for some free gear if I haven't already been there on hard mode?

does anyone have a hard mode raid save right after templar dies? not interested in cheesing i just want to explore (not a save already jumped down in to the gorgon maze though!)

Could you send me an invite to your raid just so I could try the above please if at all possible?

Actually now that I think about it, does anybody have a hard mode save where the maze is?

Thought being that if I joined your group, could I not loot the 2 chests for some free gear if I haven't already been there on hard mode?

Only the left chest shows up again on Hard. The early, 1st chest and the right side Gorgon chest are only once a week. But I imagine you could still do this if you really wanted. Although that chest has a fairly high rate of ass materials/class items. Of course I did get an Exotic Suros from it once...

Vereataes

Neo Member
Fastest way to level to 20 for an alt that isn't...... boring? lol. I'm trying to level my alt hunter but I end up just going back to my warlock cause i always feel there's something else i could be doing to better it. = / ... but the benefits of multiple characters with ass shards and strange coins and stuff like that seem hard to beat!

Fastest way to level to 20 for an alt that isn't...... boring? lol. I'm trying to level my alt hunter but I end up just going back to my warlock cause i always feel there's something else i could be doing to better it. = / ... but the benefits of multiple characters with ass shards and strange coins and stuff like that seem hard to beat!

I leveled an Alt Hunter yesterday. I kept some gear from my main from 16+ which helped. But even if you didn't it's fine. I did bounties, about 12 in all which was collected on Saturday to be used Sunday, so I had 2 sets. I did story modes on Heroic, never normal, due to the fact that I'm better at the game now. Hardly ever died. Plus, if you are good with a hand cannon, just use that as you basically 1 shot crit all but bosses or heavies. I also did each strike as I went along as you get bonus xp from those. I was usually 2+ levels above each strike recommendation as it's a tonne easier and you should be able to solo it fine if you're with some people that aren't too crash hot.

It didn't take too long and I actually found some of it fun as I was pushing myself both in speed and sometimes biting off more than I could chew as I was used to my lvl 28 and hardly dying on things anymore.

panda-zebra

A guy on destinylfg was kind enough to share a hard Atheon save. We got our sunbros to knock him off fairly quickly, got the timebreaker speederbike and some ass. So it appears without a full team of 6, there's no guarantee anyone will get the mythoclast, and if you have a team of 6 there's a 17% chance of one getting it and a slight chance of a second. Won't be doing that with just 2 again, share the love :)

Only the left chest shows up again on Hard. The early, 1st chest and the right side Gorgon chest are only once a week. But I imagine you could still do this if you really wanted. Although that chest has a fairly high rate of ass materials/class items. Of course I did get an Exotic Suros from it once...

Ah sweet thanks for the info!

I was just looking for some free shards really as I'm only level 27 so every little helps even if I only get shards from it!

If I got a Suros from it too though I wouldn't be disappointed ;)

A guy on destinylfg was kind enough to share a hard Atheon save. We got our sunbros to knock him off fairly quickly, got the timebreaker speederbike and some ass. So it appears without a full team of 6, there's no guarantee anyone will get the mythoclast, and if you have a team of 6 there's a 17% chance of one getting it and a slight chance of a second. Won't be doing that with just 2 again, share the love :)

Damn, I did hard mode twice this week and two of us (the same two actually) got a Mythoclast both times. Crazy how small a chance that is.

There's no guarantee anyone will get the mythoclast, ever. It took me 5 completions to get the mythoclast. Of course I actually cleared the raid, then killed him. Yes I'm salty.

Damn, I did hard mode twice this week and two of us (the same two actually) got a Mythoclast both times. Crazy how small a chance that is.

Same thing happened in one of my hard raid groups. Same guy got it twice. Bah humbug.

Between my 4 Hard clears, I've seen Mytho pop for 0 people once, for two people once, and for one person twice (same guy). Edit: Of course 0 times for me (cue tiny violin).

MrMuscle

What are your toughts on An Insurmountable Skullfort? I got one last night and in looks SO awesome. But the special perk seems kinda lackluster. I already have Saint-14, Inmost light and Alpha Lupi. And most often than not Alpha Lupi is the one exotic i choose to wear because of its perks. I also roll Defender 99% of the time.

an_insurmountable_skullfort.jpg

Most Shoguns aren't built for having out as a primary imo, they're for pulling out at the last minute and scoring a cqc kill. You can tear around at full pelt with your shotgun always out as long as no one pays attention and plays to counter you. Rumble is good for it as most players there have no idea how to play effecitvely, but for the most part you might find it difficult to get close enough to score a kill if you just go full shotgun.
I think this goes for most modes in general, haha.

But seriously, across all fps's it seems most players have horrible tendencies. A couple that really stick out for me are:

1. Players that will repeatedly go the same direction as the person that just killed them, only to be killed by them again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

Why? Why the hell do people do this to themselves? The dude obviously has a good position and you're likely going to keep dying.
If I get killed by someone twice, I immediately choose another path.

2. Just because you got a couple of shots off on a player does not mean you should chase them down.

If I pop someone's shield and they scurry off and I know that I'm likely to get killed by following them, then I don't. I can't tell you how many kills I've gotten because someone that shot me was so fucking thirsty to finish me off.

But I suppose I shouldn't complain. These are the people that help keep my ratio decent.

ocean

Banned
I was seeing my Grimoire and under the Hunter card activity bonus it says I have over 1600 kills as a Hunter. I made a Hunter alt the first week and got him to level 3 before deleting.

How is this calculated? That number is impossible.

Tovarisc

It's good to see the majority think sellers should be banned at least.

Exploit that should have been patched, by any means necessary, within 24h from its discovery by community. Bungie has really fucking dropped and lost whole ball with this one, not even funny anymore.

If they can't fix pathing then e.g. bring walls right next to "ramp" area from which boss gets knocked off. This way he can't walk off from area, won't die to few grenades and will rip pushers apart causing wipe.

And yes, I have cheesed him to death 3 times now with my Warlock. I want this to be fixed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom