• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

So I have the Invective or whatever exotic bounty going and I am on the "25 kill spread" stage. I played two Iron Banner matches and was +2 after one, and +14 after the second. Say I play a third later and get destroyed, does it go down? Or is it set on 14 until I add more matches with a positive finish?

It can go down.

Iron Banner was way cooler than I imagined. Shredded through everyone with my maxed out Vanquisher VIII. Much easier to rack up those killstreaks compared to normal Crucible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have this weird feeling I'm going to wind up with The Last Word randomly even though I don't care about it, when so many are clamoring for it. XD

Fatebringer on the other hand... well, my trusty Devil would have to sell its soul to be traded up.

Sullichin

Damn, OT7! Thread got locked when I was writing this reply. Don't mind this, it's just another complaint about the loot system!

But you don't need to go past 28 for anything but the Hard mode Raid. Why would they give out Raid gear for people who have no interest in it? There's literally no point, unless you absolutely must hit the max level for whatever reason.

I mostly play PVP, and I like the idea of Iron Banner making your loot more useful (though I'm happy it's not the main PVP mode). I would like to be able to get to 30 through IB if the armor defense levels mattered a lot (they don't seem to *that* much, although I haven't fought any 30s before the servers went down yet). I don't think having a 30 light path for PVP is that important though, as you said the only content that requires that level is the raid. Considering I'll probably never play the raid, I don't need to be level 30.. but if there was an alternate path to 30 that aligned with the part of the game I do play, that would be nice.

I understand that people don't want to trivialize the raid rewards. Fundamentally though I just wish the game had way more rewards in general. Every time I play with my friends they're bummed out because they feel like we wasted an hour doing strikes or something for no reason. My friend is level 23 or 24 and every time he gets a legendary engram it's for a different class. Getting a couple of shards isn't exciting. I feel like my friends are on the verge of quitting the game (although I think they're complaining a bit prematurely -- the horrible grind doesn't really start till 25 or 26 imo). So yeah, I'm not exactly dying for 30 light armor drops. But why not drop legendary weapons a little more frequently just so I have some new stuff to play around with. The various weapons are cool but the differences between them are subtle for the most part, so finally getting a better weapon after a long grind/ lucky drop isn't always that exciting. I've gotten some good drops and earned good gear as well, but these moments are far and in between. If they happened a little more frequently I think it would only make the game better. It shouldn't upset the game's balance. It's not like you just trivialize PVE damage if you can upgrade your armor.

The strikes and patrol missions to me are becoming barely tolerable. I'm glad they upped the rewards slightly but you can still play the same missions for hours and get nothing of real value. Farming chests is legitimately more fun when you are doing it with some friends but I still wish I had a chance of a relic iron drop on a Mars Crucible match, for instance. It's taking forever to go from 27->28 so I can start doing Nightfalls, and the only way to get there is to play the worst parts of the game over and over.

So yeah, I want more rewards in general but in the Crucible in particular because that's what I mostly play. I don't need to get an exotic weapon every day. But give me something more often to keep it fresh. I wanna see green icons when I go back to the Tower!

Come home from work, Destiny servers are down....

What am I doing? My life feels so empty all of a sudden? What is the purpose of life? Why are we here?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Maybe I'll get a purple weapon before end of this thread, 7th time is the charm

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Me too. I just unlocked Thorn, but it looks and sounds so weak compared to The Devil You Know. The Last Word is my only legitimate upgrade path, methinks!
Don't think of exotics as raw upgrades from Legendaries. You'll want to keep The Devil You Know at your side because when using any exotic other than The Last Word, you'll need a legendary in your holster.

CornDogg

seven? 7? VII?

se7en.jpg

Someone was asking for this at the end of the last thread:

http://imgur.com/a/0Pmoa

The maps aren't easy to look at unless you've been to them before, but you can get a sense of what's going on.

The easiest way to tell if a map works for Control or not is usually by the shape of the triangle the control points make. If B has an equal distance to A and C, then the map works better (See Twilight Gap, or Shores of Time). Maps with a lopsided triangle (Scalene for you nerds) tend to cause more problems (See Blind Watch). Finally, if the triangle to so narrow you almost have a straight line, the map turns into this weird tug of war style gameplay and loses it's purpose (See Exodus Blue or Firebase Delphi).

GhaleonEB

I still haven't played Destiny since I beat the story and the last regular strike mission. Destiny is a game I want to love, but it needs some work. I'm optimistic it will get there, though.

After a week or so off from it, I don't think I'll play a lot more until some good solid updates hit, or perhaps the DLC. The core gameplay is good, but the missions and their structure are far too similar; I grew weary of them well before the end of the story.

There's plenty of content, but not enough variety to hold my interest. I find the bosses in the strikes (and even regular missions) to largely be exercises in tedium, really not fun at all. While strikes can be fun up to the point, knowing they all end that way has kept me away.

The loot grind holds absolutely no appeal to me, as I need more interesting things to do while I grind. I hope Bungie has recognized this and really steps up their mission design with the DLC. We shouldn't scan something and then deal with waves of enemies even once.

bryehn

Gah, fuckin' stinkbug. I like to play while my daughter's down for her nap. Guess I can try to get into Shadows of Mordor again, but I'm just not feelin' it so far at all.

NickFire

All I want is a rare (or better) AR and Shotgun before I buy them with marks. For some reason, I cant get either as of lvl. 23 so far.

ha

I said it once in OT3, and I'll say it again in OT7. yes, the game is flawed. yes, there are frustrating aspects. yes, there are baffling decisions by Bungie and co. and yes it needs plenty of work to reach its potential.

but the game is too fucking good. you all can't stop playing it and you know it.

Ha. Yup, exactly. I was hanging with the lady last night and she was asking me what was so good about the game that I had to play ALL the time. I turned to her and said, "I'm not really sure, but it's like crack."

EL CUCO

ha

I said it once in OT3, and I'll say it again in OT7. yes, the game is flawed. yes, there are frustrating aspects. yes, there are baffling decisions by Bungie and co. and yes it needs plenty of work to reach its potential.

but the game is too fucking good. you all can't stop playing it and you know it.

Idk if its due to the lack of games there's been this year, but no other game has hooked me as much as Destiny in 2014. I gave this game a ton of crap pre and post release, but Bungie definitely did something right. The fact that I can play the same strikes or missions over and over while chasing rewards and not get bored still boggles my mind.

When I finished the Raid last week, it became my GOTY...flaws and all.

Zakalwe

Banned
I have this weird feeling I'm going to wind up with The Last Word randomly even though I don't care about it, when so many are clamoring for it. XD

Fatebringer on the other hand... well, my trusty Devil would have to sell its soul to be traded up.

There are two types of people: those who want The Last Word, and those who don't know they want it.

Sullichin

I still haven't played Destiny since I beat the story and the last regular strike mission. Destiny is a game I want to love, but it needs some work. I'm optimistic it will get there, though.

After a week or so off from it, I don't think I'll play a lot more until some good solid updates hit, or perhaps the DLC. The core gameplay is good, but the missions and their structure are far too similar; I grew weary of them well before the end of the story.

There's plenty of content, but not enough variety to hold my interest. I find the bosses in the strikes (and even regular missions) to largely be exercises in tedium, really not fun at all. While strikes can be fun up to the point, knowing they all end that way has kept me away.

The loot grind holds absolutely no appeal to me, as I need more interesting things to do while I grind. I hope Bungie has recognized this and really steps up their mission design with the DLC. We shouldn't scan something and then deal with waves of enemies even once.

I'm fully expecting every new mission to include Dinklage hacking a control panel in the exact amount of time it takes you to wipe out 3 waves of enemies. I'm expecting like half of these to be in areas I've already seen.

... Will buy the DLC for Crucible maps though.

StMeph

I have a few friends really into Destiny, but they haven't been able to explain quite why. They're also pretty casual, so I wonder if that's helped the longevity of the game to them.

Still, OT7 ain't nothin' to scoff at, so I was wondering if anyone could give an honest rundown of the game in its current state, what the foreseeable patches will/might include, and what DLC is supposed to bring (and what the pricing structure is), and what each class's gameplay is like.

I've read the tips in the OT, but they're more for people in the game already, and the original is mostly hype for stuff that -- I assume -- has morphed already after several patches and revisions.

Thanks.

Trojan

Oh god servers are down / the apocalypse is upon us / save yourselves.

It's insane how many OTs we've gone through already...despite what anyone says, please are playing the shit out of this game.

Since the servers are down I might as well write this out.

We attempted the Vault of Glass on Saturday night for the first time. This sessions was so so so much fun. We were new, we worked it out and got all the way to Aetheons room. I can't really write out my feelings correctly but playing the raid was one of the hardest and most fulfilling gaming achievements I have done in awhile. It was pretty late so we ended here.

Sunday night we spend 2 hours trying to perfect the fight with Aetheon, the time team, portal team and using the relic etc.. it was sloppy and we died a ton. stopped after 2 hours.

last night we were all pretty confident, everyone knew the roles and we went to work. it was clear right away something was wrong, bugs started to happen everywhere. It was super frustrating and we had multiple centipede errors, chat errors and disconnects. We all disconnected and rejoined the group and started the fight again. We had a solid hour or working this fight and got him almost dead two or three times however it wasn't in the cards for us.. we gave it one last run and got him to a sliver of health before the relic carrier was booted to orbit. RAGE QUITS AHEAD.

oh well hopefully this week we can breeze through the rest and get back and kill that fucker once and for all. It also sucks that from every drop and chest all I got was fucking energy.

I still love the Vault Of Glass and can't wait for more raid content in the future.

Nightz

OT7!

Also, I'd like to try out the Vault of Glass for the first time. If anyone would be willing to carry a newbie through it, I'd appreciate it!

Ooccoo

People who still play this are pretty desperate, aren't they? Dunno but grinding so much is atrocious, I haven't touched the game for weeks, one of the most disappointing new IPs of all-time right after Diablo 3. But I'm not sure they will be able to make it better with patches, the base game had too much shit, you can repair it but the foundation is still broken.

I'm a bit surprised there's still people interested in a game that has everything worthwhile blocked behind stupid grinding and repetitive maps / bullet sponges / uninteresting objectives. But I guess some people are trying to get their value back by investing numerous hours into a lifeless grind full of clichés and bad sci-fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom