• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

vakarian32

Need to buy myself a legendary LMG soon once i have the marks. my options are Prestige IV or Zombie Apocalypse, they both have some nice stats and upgrade options. Anyone have experience with these? leaning towards Prestige because it looks rad, and I kinda need a good void dmg weapon.

FyreWulff

I'm sorry what does kill volume even mean? (And kill box)

Kill volumes / kill boxes are volumes Bungie can place in a map that will either instantly kill you or throw up the "Turn back!" (or Return to Battlefield in Reach) and starts the countdown before it kills you.

In Halo Reach and 4, these are placeable by users in Forge, and defaults to being shaped like a box that you can change the size of. if a player intersects with this volume/box, they are either killed or told to turn back, but the box itself is not rendered in normal gameplay.

This kill volume was also stored as an easily changeable part of the map metadata called the Forge Variant, not hardcoded into the map itself.

It's clear that Bungie has kept this system for Destiny, so they can easily close off areas to players quickly without having to go in and recompile the map.

I just got Pocket Infinity and they're nerfing it? BUNGIEEEEEE

Holy shit, and no more sniper platform. RIP.

bmbN2mr.jpg

Bungie and their kill volumes, never forgive.

Brohan

I feel that auto rifles were keeping fusion rifles in check, now they are going to dominate everything

Auto rifles were just as OP as fusion rifles in my opinion but it's still a shame that they didn't nerf fusion rifles a bit as well.

Glad that at least the mythoclast got nerfed because that thing was just destroying pvp.

Tekku

These nerfs are bullshit.. Does PvE even exist for you bungie? Why oh why would you nerf weapons for PvP balance than nerf them across the board instead of for the game mode intended.

To encourage diversity both in PvP and PvE?

If AR's are capable of dealing with everything in PvE as well there's no real reason to use anything else as a primary.

JTran2003

never played the strike before, got an invite right at atheon. after a good bit of grease we nailed him and it was one of the best feelings i've had in a game.

vUsdKDL.png

this crew, i'm so glad they invited me. thanks guys.

Thanks so much for joining! You really helped us out! If you ever need people to play the raid from the beginning let me know. Raiding is so much fun!!! Definitely look forward to playing with you guys in future raids!

LOL

Nightfall and Weekly are The Devil's Lair, HAHA!

i don't get the joke. it's on a rotation and everything else has already been done so now it's back to the beginning.

get a good void weapon and it'll be just as easy as the others. there will be another cheese strat within 12 hours anyway.

Eurgh, those Vandals are going to be a bitch with Lightswitch on.

they shouldn't even get close to you.

Now I'm itching to see how my maxed out Vision of Confluence does. I use it a lot, but it always felt underpowered compared to my maxed out Suros Regime.

I just hope this week's Nightfall has solar burn, it'll just melt enemies.

I would love to have that one, full auto with solar burn? rad.

The raid only gave me ass shards and chatterwhites so far...

Kill volumes / kill boxes are volumes Bungie can place in a map that will either instantly kill you or throw up the "Turn back!" (or Return to Battlefield in Reach) and starts the countdown before it kills you.

In Halo Reach and 4, these are placeable by users in Forge, and defaults to being shaped like a box that you can change the size of. if a player intersects with this volume/box, they are either killed or told to turn back, but the box itself is not rendered in normal gameplay.

This kill volume was also stored as an easily changeable part of the map metadata called the Forge Variant, not hardcoded into the map itself.

It's clear that Bungie has kept this system for Destiny, so they can easily close off areas to players quickly without having to go in and recompile the map.

Ah ok thanks

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Why's that so funny? (Genuine question)

Cause that level is just hilarious too me, done it so many times (fucking Bad Juju 25 Strike objective) funny to see it twice

Will be doing it on 3 chars, so 6 in Total over this week

Futaba

after a solid month of play, logging over 250 hours cross xbox one and ps4 and my characters, and extensively breaking the game in every conceivable way by going in, on, through under and around maps and every single bit of disk-included DLC I have come to the following conclusion/analysis.

Prevention
Destiny uses five distinct methods to box the player in to a set area, these are visible barriers (Forcefields), Invisible barriers (blocking volumes), timer death zones (usually encountered when climbing too high or venturing on normal geometry out of the play area), Instant death zones and lastly, rubber barriers (no visible obstruction but you're bounced away from the direction you are trying to go)

Exploitation
Many of the issues lay with combinations of rough blocking volumes not overlapping and world geometry having collision volumes that allow for the player to climb too far up, or venture along very small ledges, often times its simply a case of creative jumping that'll get you out of the game area, others abusing the collision boxes on more technical geometry will get the job done.

Sparrows
Arguably the biggest issue is with sparrows, they are spawned based on a rectangular clearance volume, but this volume doesn't do a very efficient job of checking for clearance when the player is rotating, so it's possible to walk up against a wall and turn, placing a third of this clearance volume in or past the blocking volume, spawning the sparrow and boosting in this situation can more often than not allow you to pass through the wall or blocking volume to whatever lies beyond

The second issue with sparrows is that they are ignorant to many types of surface, the gate that prevents you from returning to the starting area of the game, and the main doorway to raid are two examples of this, parking the sparrow sideways along the surface and dismounting sends the player through the volume and on to the other side, bypassing the structure entirely.

The last issue with sparrows seems to be that large rebounding force fields are completely ignored when riding the sparrow, as illustrated by easily accessing the dark below area by riding through the field on a sparrow.

DLC issue
In both the alpha and beta, most of the DLC areas on earth were accessible, this was well known across youtube and was not fixed for beta or retail, or any of the subsequent patches, the same exploititive nature that found these areas to begin with was given free reign of the whole world area, exposing more closed off areas on other planets.

The pressing issue for these areas is that most of them are relatively small and mostly complete, which suggests that they will eventually become strike missions at a later date, the only DLC area of all of these that have been accessed that contains actual enemies thus far is Kings Watch.

Accessing these areas:

Jovian Complex :
Jovial complex can be accessed using the sparrow spawn glitch, access is granted by going to the sky watch area, and just to the left of the original engram cave is a hive nest, at the very bottom of that cave you will load in to "jovian complex", what you need to do is not turn the last corner but instead jump on the box by the left wall, spawn your sparrow and glitch through the wall in to the area. Video on how is here

Seraphim vault : Seraphim vault can be accessed through a series of particular jumps done after glitching through terrain volume, it's a much more complicated process so i would advise simply watching the video demonstration.

Kings Watch : Again, much like Seraphim vault the kings watch area is a bit of a pain to access and much more of a pain to describe, video can be found here.

The Dark Below : This area can be accessed by playing through the black garden mission, upon defeating the defenders at the warp gate, jump on your sparrow and ride it through, you will come out the other side still riding the sparrow - you simply need to ride it from the entrance all the way to the blocking volume later on in the level, and ride on through, video demo here. (Video isn't mine)

The Terminus : This last area, as many will remember, is accessible through the large pillar of light on Venus that has a force field around it, to simply a much more intricate reality, you climb up the left wall and jump towards the light lift, completely bypassing the forcefield blocking volume and get dragged up to the new area, video is here. (again, not my video).

Dusk Warrens : Another area accessible, this time from the moon map - video of how to access it is here.

Chamber of night : Another area accessible - video of how to access it is here.
If anyone finds this particularly interesting, I may be convinced to post a write up on my raid map findings too.

Is it strange I'm kind of happy they are nerfing the Mytho, because it finally lets me use my icebreaker? I mean I know I don't have to use the Mytho, but it was good to the point where it was simply stupid not to use it.

Perhaps the maps were made with one jump height in mind, and a tweak later by another team made them reachable very easily.

I was a Community Cartographer for Halo Reach and 4, so I'll use an example from that. I was one of the most paranoid Cartographers in the group with map killzones and softkills. Whereas most other map makers would just put a kill volume across the bottom of the map and call it a day, I would box that shit in on all four sides, and then make the kill boxes themselves (what bungie is using in Destiny) really big to make sure people couldn't phase through them due to latency. Even if it was impossible to reach a spot from inside the map to the outside, i'd still killbox it, just in case.

And people would STILL find cheap spots in maps. What happens is when one spot doesn't work, people will just try other ones. And when one is found, that knowledge spreads like wildfire through the internet, and by the end of the first 24 hours the map is out, people have evolved into finding an exploit spot even better than that, because other players found counters for it. In interntal testing, you are limited by free time (as a volunteer) or paid time (as an internal tester). On the internet, everyone can poopsock the map for 10 hours straight and any cracks in the system will be made larger and apparent. I'd download films anonymously from the in game file share, watch someone break into something i thought was unbreakable, and think to myself "you clever son of a bitch", sigh, and address it in the next update wave.

It hurts even more when the company stops updates and doesn't let you get the exploit fixes in. It hurts when you CAN fix it, because you feel like you let people down, but not as much.

And even if you're super militant with your killboxes, you'll draw negative responses from the playerbase for doing so. It's a balance between them feeling like they're in a location vs "playing on a map". On one of my maps I put softkills in the playable space to keep Humans from having too cheap of a spot to kill Zombies from, since I didn't have to worry about any held Objectives from being reset (ball, flag, etc). You could reach it by simply hopping or walking to it, but it was either that or block off that entire side of the map. I figured it was better to allow people to transition through it but tell them "shoo, go play the game" if they decided to try and stay there. Some people liked it, some people sent me threats over it.

The most important part is that you have the ability to and do address the issues as they come. They can't patch as fast on console as they could on PC, but they're also much faster than they could be with Halo (hotfixes could be one to two months, actual title updates half a year to a year apart). Changing how a boss works touches a lot of systems. Putting killzones in a trouble spot is faster, touches less systems, and addresses the problem.

I think you put it perfectly in the bolded. Since the platforms are not difficult to reach I'd always seen them as part of the location and not as someplace I wasn't supposed to be in, and thus why the killzone solution seems a bit excessive (I mean, Vex TPing is their thing, tweaking the adds there seems feasible seeing the loot cave et al adjustments). I understand your point though, thanks for the write-up.

Throwing knives are awesome.

This is Truth.

CLBridges

this continues to baffle me.

lMEwEbn.jpg

why does a whole area need to be blocked off if there's no event there?

Wish I knew the answer to this to. The tower is already small enough as is, so why not leave the area open to fool around in if folks so decide. I guess they want people to be excited for when that area opens for of new "events"

Is it strange I'm kind of happy they are nerfing the Mytho, because it finally lets me use my icebreaker? I mean I know I don't have to use the Mytho, but it was good to the point where it was simply stupid not to use it.

but you really think its not going to be more powerful than the other weapons even with the nerf?

I am using mine now, not even maxed it out yet and its awesome, if the maxed out mytho is as strong as an unleveled one, then I will be happy.

panda-zebra

It never occurred to me, or any of the people I've been grouped with, to even attempt to jump onto those platforms.it would be incredibly believable that the same happened with an internal testing group.

No chance. In the very first raid stream I saw on the first night the guys all grouped up on that far left platform and took his shield down from there in relative safety. All those platforms are there by design, not chance.

but you really think its not going to be more powerful than the other weapons even with the nerf?

I am using mine now, not even maxed it out yet and its awesome, if the maxed out mytho is as strong as an unleveled one, then I will be happy.

absolutely at least for a little while, for appeasement and to slow the interest down a bit while they patch stuff out. 34% base damage reduction is huge. Especially for PVE, it already has ammo issues as upgrading the magazine capacity doesn't increase the amount of ammo it can hold like other guns. If there's a mission modifier for solar I'll use it, otherwise, well see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom