• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

realcZk

Wow. Ska is not messing around.

I am 20 shards from 29. Then I'll feel comfortable doing hard raid (maybe this coming weekend if I can manage all those shards).

Can we still run the normal raid later this week? I hear it gives shards. I NEED SHARDS DAMMIT.

Yea we should be running it Friday the usual time, 6-7pm cst maybe later. I wont be in town on Saturday.

Well that was a little annoying.

I solo'd my way, right up to the door of Mr Sepiks Prime on the nightfall.
Then 2 rude and uninvited friends join me, take down Sepiks, and leave with legendary engrams, Purifier VII, and all I get are 9 strange coins.

How do you join someone's game/fireteam without them being invited by you first?

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm ok with a 2% damage reduction, but a class wide stability nerf just seems odd and lazy. Handling tweaks should be made on a per weapon basis. Something like Hard Light will probably be totally useless now, where as before, despite its limitations, it still rewarded you for being able to control the recoil(which many of the good ARs do).

How does the 4-17% stability decrease depending on stat value work?

EL CUCO

Yeah there's some invisible cooldown on how soon you can sprint after interrupting it. Gotta slow down your spinmetal farming runs somehow.

Probably right.

Noticed this since day 1. PS4 aswell, it only happens when you try to sprint after stopping while sprinting. Like, there is a delay before you can sprint again.

I thought a cool down after you stop was kinda stupid when the Sprint is unlimited. I was thinking it was a bug and needed to get patched lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys hit 164 pages before the patch even went live, with me barely posting since friday (I'm no longer the top poster in the thread ;D).

lots of stuff discussed, far too much to respond to even in broad terms, but one thing that really bugged me was the number of people who perceived the change to Pocket Infinity as a significant nerf or even said that they'd dismantle the gun or abandon the bounty.

The true value in Pocket Infinity as a worthwhile exotic choice has always been in the Perfect Balance mod, which lets you plant the triple blast (or more, due to the reclaimed ammo effect) on a single target accurately, or sweep across multiple targets without wasting any shots. The extended magazine was hilarious to fire in full auto, but the recoil was far too unwieldy to use it seriously. This "nerf" will affect my use of one of my favorite guns exactly zero percent, and this isn't a weapon I've just "played around with," I use it all the time in serious content.

For those new to using it or whatever, be aware that you should be firing Pocket Infinity primarily from the hip. You only want to aim down the sights when you need the ranged accuracy, and when doing so you should usually only be firing single blasts rather than using the full auto at all.

Biggest complaint overall is that everyone who wants to be the max level gets funneled into the same exact armor set with at most one variable due to exotics. Everyone looks the same but with different colors. Overall there isn't much visual difference between lower end gear either.
Transmutation is my most desired feature.
Wish they'd just nerf the auto rifle in crucible instead of of PvE also. Shit seems like some pretty big changes. Hope my exotic doesn't feel way weaker. Pretty shitty for them to do this, but make exotics better later. Could have at least done both at the same time.
the exotics that are being buffed are not auto rifles. Auto rifles will still be viable in both game modes and dominant in PvP. I don't know what exotic you're referring to, but if it's the Regime its stability mods will largely counteract the biggest aspect of this nerf anyway, especially for PvE.
Just because a weapon is effective, or even most effective, doesn't mean it's OP. It certainly doesn't mean they need an across the board nerf as a cockamamie way to get people to use other weapons.
As a general rule nothing about your two sentences here is inaccurate.

However, they also strike me as nominally hilarious, because these ARs were OP. Potential impact of these changes aside- prior to this nerf, at least, they were a good choice at any engagement distance. From sniper rifle to shotgun range. That's absurd. Accurate guns for precision shots or high RoF combined with the generous auto-aim applied to ARs in Destiny in general meant that any "fair engagement" between an AR user and user of another weapon ended with the AR winning 9/10 times. This has relatively little to do with any individual gun in particular, but ensured that the guns that are particularly accurate for headshots (such as the SUROS Regime and Shingen-E) were incredibly dominant in practice.

The real kicker here is that this patch isn't actually going to come anywhere close to forcing people to use other guns. If you liked auto rifles before, you'll still like them now, and the main feature that made them so universally applicable, the point-and-shoot aim assist, isn't being touched at all. Inherently unstable entrants in the weapon class like Doctor Nope (and Hard Light to a lesser extent) may become even less viable, but that's making already subpar choices for PvP worse, a different problem than "an across the board nerf to get people to use other weapons."

I fully expect to still be killed in the Crucible a majority of the time by some-auto-rifle-or-another despite these nerfs. I guess we'll see.
Meh. It's difficult to use up close and the ammo regen is pretty slow in hectic situations. The dmg is high but not absurdly high. Although I get the feeling we won't see Solar modifiers too often going forward, lol.

Ice Breaker is always Solar, right?
Yes. It breaks the ice by melting it.
How do you join someone's game/fireteam without them being invited by you first?
If your fireteam is set to Friends Only or Public... exactly as you might imagine, press x on them on the roster and click join fireteam.

Flo_Evans

So nerf patch is not live yet? Tried to bust out my (admittedly under leveled) scout to test in nightfall and it seemed as weak as ever.

Nameless

Gotta say as a pretty successful grim citizen user i'm worried about this nerf

i hopped on this morning and dropped a nice round in the crucible but i guess it hadnt even been patched at that point

I feel like suros users have nothing to worry about because of its high stability, but the citizen has a pretty suspect stability statline to begin with, at least when compared to some of the other popular ARs

that being said im pretty beast with it so maybe ill manage

ugh i hate the uncertainty, lol

In the exact same boat. GCIII has been the undisputed king of my arsenal since the days of the loot cave. Many Exotics and legendaries have come and gone, but the road always leads back to the Grimm. The recoil has become easily managable with practice, but I have no idea what to expect stability wise post patch. 2% damage isn't that extreme, but I'm worried it might become a little unwieldy.

If this week's nightfall was its swan song, it definitely put on a show on the way out..

Future

Auto rifles were too strong in PvE as well. When I got suros that was fuckin it. All I needed to mow down anything anywhere from any range. I'll be sniping dudes with an automatic machine gun from a mile away. I should have to switch to my scout rifles for that. The nerfs are good and it's not all about pvp

So nerf patch is not live yet? Tried to bust out my (admittedly under leveled) scout to test in nightfall and it seemed as weak as ever.

Just got a message saying the world is about to reboot, sure its being pushed live now.

Auto rifles were too strong in PvE as well. When I got suros that was fuckin it. All I needed to mow down anything anywhere from any range. I'll be sniping dudes with an automatic machine gun from a mile away. I should have to switch to my scout rifles for that. The nerfs are good and it's not all about pvp

The nerfs went overboard. All they had to do was put in a range dmg nerf that dropped the damage off. Which is pretty much what they alluded too when they announced the change a while back. What we are getting is a 2% dmg nerf, a stability nerf, and a headshot modifier nerf.

I thought a cool down after you stop was kinda stupid when the Sprint is unlimited. I was thinking it was a bug and needed to get patched lol

I don't have any issue with there being a CD for sprint if the goal is to keep you from being able to sprint all the time everywhere. I do however have a huge issue with the CD being completely invisible, you have NO IDEA when you can sprint again so you're just sitting there mashing the L3 thumbstick click and giving yourself carpal tunnel while you try to sprint again.

This is again Game Design 101: If you're going to put a CD on something, give the player a VISIBLE INDICATOR to know when the CD is up and the action can be performed again. Sigh.

Deku Tree

Well that was a little annoying.

I solo'd my way, right up to the door of Mr Sepiks Prime on the nightfall.
Then 2 rude and uninvited friends join me, take down Sepiks, and leave with legendary engrams, Purifier VII, and all I get are 9 strange coins.

You gotta set your fire team to "closed" or "invite only" if you don't want to allow people to jump in... besides you probably would have gotten the strange coins anyway even if you did it solo. (I have no idea if that last thing I said is true or not.)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I would KILL for a bunch of shards from the nightfall. KILL!

It's the only thing in between me and level 29. And I need about 20 of them. ARGH.

EDIT: * between me and level 29

Sup'
Qku3BW1.jpg

I still got like +5 Ass Shards and +9 Coins to collect and earn on my Titan, going from 12-20, leveling up real quickly so I can maximize this

Juraash

So anyone have any tips for soloing the Nightfall this week? I'm assuming you park it on the balcony thing while Dinklebot takes down the laser doors, use range and the buildings to not get nuked by the tank and....use the starter room to fight Sepiks (and run back farther once the tough mobs spawn)?

Zakalwe

Banned
So anyone have any tips for soloing the Nightfall this week? I'm assuming you park it on the balcony thing while Dinklebot takes down the laser doors, use range and the buildings to not get nuked by the tank and....use the starter room to fight Sepiks (and run back farther once the tough mobs spawn)?

Never the balcony.

At the back next to the green blocked off cave.

The rest will work.

Deku Tree

So if you get an armor engram with say a warlock and put it in the vault and then decrypt it with say a hunter... is it going to be hunter armor or warlock armor?

Go to the cave by the trains, the mobs will not even come over there. Slowly pick them off.

Spider boss, left building as you enter (has 3 solar panels on it) hide behind the back left ac unit on the roof and snipe without anything shooting you.

Prime, left building as you enter, do not go downstairs. Only thing you'll have to worry about is a few grenades and some fire.

Will take no more than 30mins.

Zakalwe

Banned
So if you get an armor engram with say a warlock and put it in the vault and then decrypt it with say a hunter... is it going to be hunter armor or warlock armor?

In my experience it's a higher chance for the class who's decrypting the engram. I always give legendary armour engrams I find to the class I need the item for and it almost always works out.

If this is true, I don't think exotic engrams behave the same though.

Future

Just got a message saying the world is about to reboot, sure its being pushed live now.

The nerfs went overboard. All they had to do was put in a range dmg nerf that dropped the damage off. Which is pretty much what they alluded too when they announced the change a while back. What we are getting is a 2% dmg nerf, a stability nerf, and a headshot modifier nerf.

Headshots SHOULDNT be a thing with an auto rifle. Come on that thing is a machine gun. The stability and precision accuracy is exactly what needs to keep them in check

Damage is ridiculous too. Get wiped out in seconds and kill everything in seconds too. There is a reason everyone is carrying one: we've tried the other weapons and none compete. Auto rifles should have a role for a certain style of play but not be the complete solution to every potential challenge. A large Nerf was necessary. I actually wonder if it was enough!

We'll see when the patch is out but I hope the effect is strong enough to convince people to choose other weapons and therefore fight differently based on the ranges and strengths of the chosen gun

EL CUCO

I don't have any issue with there being a CD for sprint if the goal is to keep you from being able to sprint all the time everywhere. I do however have a huge issue with the CD being completely invisible, you have NO IDEA when you can sprint again so you're just sitting there mashing the L3 thumbstick click and giving yourself carpal tunnel while you try to sprint again.

This is again Game Design 101: If you're going to put a CD on something, give the player a VISIBLE INDICATOR to know when the CD is up and the action can be performed again. Sigh.

Good point. I guess that is what's annoying me as well. It makes the sprint extremely unreliable...especially with mobs after you and you're just trying to survive. If we atleast knew it, we could adjust accordingly.

Sup'

I still got like +5 Ass Shards and +9 Coins to collect and earn on my Titan, going from 12-20, leveling up real quickly so I can maximize this

Where the hell did you get all of those shards??? What have you found to be the best way to accumulate? I do the dailies and the PEs but it's always energy.

Guys how are you going about getting shards for upgrades?

I want to make sure I have a good stock so I can level up my gear as I need to. Thing is, I have a shit load of energies but zilch shards.

Best way by doing the normal raid and just buying vanguard/crucible gear then dismantling it?

Bizazedo

Thanks, guys. I guess my friends don't have that option enabled? Or I could be doing it wrong, I'll give it a shot tonight.

It seems to only let you in certain situations. Orbit? Fair game. While actively moving from orbit to somewhere else? Can't join.

But for the most part, it's true.

http://www.destinylfg.net/

Also, lolwat at people buying Raid runs... WOW!

Not surprised at all. So glad I got the helmet and the hard mode version of the ship already.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Whatever class you unlock them on, that's the gear you will get, the engrams are not attached to a certain class if they drop on it and use it on another class
Only time it gets iffy is Legendary Engram and it become an Exotic/Legendary for another class

I've been swapping Engrams left and Right

All Weapon engrams go to my level 20+ Cryptarch, only time I used Engrams on my Alts is when I'm hoping a Rare turns into Legendary piece so I can slot it in

Has anyone noticed that a lot of Blue Engrams have been dropping since reset, I earned like 15 from farming Public Time Events + Patrol
They just kept dropping, you can see my vault pic

Headshots SHOULDNT be a thing with an auto rifle. Come on that thing is a machine gun. The stability and precision accuracy is exactly what needs to keep them in check

Damage is ridiculous too. Get wiped out in seconds and kill everything in seconds too. There is a reason everyone is carrying one: we've tried the other weapons and none compete. Auto rifles should have a role for a certain style of play but not be the complete solution to every potential challenge. A large Nerf was necessary. I actually wonder if it was enough!

We'll see when the patch is out but I hope the effect is strong enough to convince people to choose other weapons and therefore fight differently based on the ranges and strengths of the chosen gun

Odd, I haven't used my SR ever since I got a fully updated TDYK. I much prefer to rock a Pocket Infinity or Icebreaker than the SR. None of the other AR's are nearly as powerful as the SR.

You shouldn't be able to get a headshot with the AR? Why shouldn't you be able to? I can get headshots with the actual Machine Gun.

The nerf went way too far, a simple range/stability nerf was alll that was needed. Nerfing the overall dmg and headshot modifier were an overreaction.

ObiDin

Why is that not ok? It's a loot game, shouldn't there be exotic guns that are leaps and bounds over everything else?

Zakalwe

Banned
Hmm...wait. Are we talking about Golds, Purples, or Blues?

Golds are completely random, they can decrypt to any class.

Purples and Blues will decrypt to something corresponding to the class you are on.

I've had both purples and blues decrypt to other classes. It's uncommon in my experience though, the majority were for the class who activated the decryption.

What deserves nerf in PvP, in my opinion;

• Bladedancer
  • ARs
  • Shotguns
  • Fusion Rifles

I don't know. I've learnt to deal with bladedancers as often as they deal with me.

Hmm...wait. Are we talking about Golds, Purples, or Blues?

Golds are completely random, they can decrypt to any class.

Purples and Blues will decrypt to something corresponding to the class you are on.

Pretty sure it's random. I have Purple and blue items for hunter and Titan in my vault. I've not even started a Titan class and I've played the hunter for maybe 20 mins

Bizazedo

What deserves nerf in PvP, in my opinion;

• Bladedancer
  • ARs
  • Shotguns
  • Fusion Rifles

I got into a rip-roaring argument with some buddies about how OP Hunters were (in PvP). I was expressing disbelief that they got a blink, a sticky grenade, and the bladedancer move all in one talent tree.

The buddies were, of course, Hunters, and felt Titans were OP.

And yes, if they nerf AR's and Shotguns...it'll be interesting for fusion rifles, especially as better ones appear with high impact and good charge times.

Vespene

I think you will not see a significant drop in Suros bros on Crucible. Reason being that it has been the norm for so long people have developed their style of play around it. It's gonna take something else to become overpowered for them to abandon it.

Ramirez

Odd, I haven't used my SR ever since I got a fully updated TDYK. I much prefer to rock a Pocket Infinity or Icebreaker than the SR. None of the other AR's are nearly as powerful as the SR.

You shouldn't be able to get a headshot with the AR? Why shouldn't you be able to? I can get headshots with the actual Machine Gun.

The nerf went way too far, a simple range/stability nerf was alll that was needed. Nerfing the overall dmg and headshot modifier were an overreaction.

It isn't even live yet, how do you know it went too far? lol

I'll go out on a limb and say Suros will be roughly the same due to the slow RoF not affecting its stability much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom