• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Heh, I love the 10 rare fusion rifles, my vault looks exactly the same.

Already have Pocket Infinity, just have these saved up just in case I get the Exotic bounty again,it's only 10 spots it takes up, I'm using one of them that's why you see 9
Last time around I got Pocket Infinity or Super Good Advice as choice, I went with SGA just cause it's hella easy to finish
Then 2 days later, Gunsmith has Rare FR's for sale, I had 5 Rares as random drops, so just bought 5 extra, now waiting and hoping I get the damn exotic again
Great thing is I will be running 3 characters, so 3 times the chance it appears...

It has been a 'feature' of nearly every loot based game out there Diablo, WoW, etc. Not too surprised, hopefully it gets banned though (on the site).

I know about paying to get drops of hard items that are out of reach for certain part of players
People bought runs in FFXIV with Gil or Real Life Money

Where the hell did you get all of those shards??? What have you found to be the best way to accumulate? I do the dailies and the PEs but it's always energy.

Well I do roughly 5-7 PTE's daily, you get 1 guaranteed, then random extra for hitting Gold Tier
Then you have your Daily 28, so +2
I got a second character up, so +3-+5 again
Third character just started, but has gotten me +1-+2 daily for a week

Those add up real quickly, lets not forget Normal Raid + Hard Raid which have been blessing me left and right with Ass material
I'm trying it so I can run Normal + Hard on Warlock, Normal on Hunter, Normal on Titan, will worry about Hard later, but if cheese option still viable available, will use it on 2 alts for loot

Mr.Walls

Neo Member
Which reminds me. We really should have a guide for people who are unfamiliar with MMO terms.

LFM - LOOKING FOR MORE (group forming)
LFG - LOOKING FOR GROUP (starting or looking to get into a group)
That would be very helpful because the last mmo i played was ragnarok(that was 10 yrs ago)

I got into a rip-roaring argument with some buddies about how OP Hunters were (in PvP). I was expressing disbelief that they got a blink, a sticky grenade, and the bladedancer move all in one talent tree.

The buddies were, of course, Hunters, and felt Titans were OP.

And yes, if they nerf AR's and Shotguns...it'll be interesting for fusion rifles, especially as better ones appear with high impact and good charge times.

There isn't any doubt that Hunters are OP in PvP, zero. The fastest class with the best jump. The extra armor/battle recovery of the Titan/Warlock really are useless when the TTK is so extremely high. Both subclasses for the Hunter bring so much.

Nerfing AR's isn'g going to make people pick up another weapon...maybe a pulse rifle? Shotgun nerf was needed.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Do anything special for the 5th chest?

Can't let Templar boss Warp away to next position

He has certain points he moves to, there's this Red Circle notifying you where he's moving too
If someone stand inside that circle, he won't warp, shield will stay down, keep hitting him hard
Doable on Normal, Hard version, Jesus!

Bizazedo

I can finally hit 30, just got gloves. Oh, and we got the 5th chest. :)

Did you get any actual loot? We did it and only got shards / energy.

Which is fine, they're useful, and the "real" method of doing it is so much faster / more action packed than the cheese was.

Future

Why is that not ok? It's a loot game, shouldn't there be exotic guns that are leaps and bounds over everything else?

It's terrible for a loot game. I should want other loot! Better yet, I should want certain loot for certain challenges or for certain styles of play. The ARs covered every style of play and did it often better than other guns that are supposed to excel at this other ranges. They have large clips so each bullet shouldn't be as potent as they are now.

I actually don't even know how people can complain. Sniping with a machine gun feels ridiculous. Everyone has to know its ridiculous. When I get kills with it it's hard not to laugh at how ridiculous it is in both PvE and pvp.

Tovarisc

I got into a rip-roaring argument with some buddies about how OP Hunters were (in PvP). I was expressing disbelief that they got a blink, a sticky grenade, and the bladedancer move all in one talent tree.

The buddies were, of course, Hunters, and felt Titans were OP.

And yes, if they nerf AR's and Shotguns...it'll be interesting for fusion rifles, especially as better ones appear with high impact and good charge times.

Maybe bladedancer isn't that OP, but issues with garbage P2P PvP makes it come across as such? I don't know, but something needs to be done to it or about it so dancer can be countered more reliably.

Now it seems like roll of a dice each time even when you think you can take him out.

ARs and Shotguns losing "long range" damage boosts FR's by that %, basically. FR's already hit like fucking truck, most of the time straight out OHK, at very large range spread. I suspect we will see a lot more FR spammers after patch, it makes shotguns less viable after all.

P.S. Shotguns were already borderline useless in PvE, now total garbage?

X-Frame

Out of my 3 chances at Nightfall this week, my wish list is:

The Armamentarium (Exotic Titan Chest Piece)
Hawkmoon
Legendary Scout Rifle

:)

Heel

Do you get all of the rewards from the normal raid when you complete it on heroic, or do you need to run both each week?

It's terrible for a loot game. I should want other loot! Better yet, I should want certain loot for certain challenges or for certain styles of play. The ARs covered every style of play and did it often better than other guns that are supposed to excel at this other ranges. They have large clips so each bullet shouldn't be as potent as they are now.

I actually don't even know how people can complain. Sniping with a machine gun feels ridiculous. Everyone has to know its ridiculous. When I get kills with it it's hard not to laugh at how ridiculous it is in both PvE and pvp.

Not all AR's have large magazines though. Again you still haven't explained why you shouldn't be able to score headshots with an AR. It isn't like you are firing full auto from a solid range and scoring headshots all day. You are basically turning the AR into a weak scout rifle by slowly firing 1-2 shots off. Even then, the Scout Rifle would do a better job of sniping than a AR any day of the week.

Again, nerfing the range dmg of the AR would have been fine. If you are trying to snipe from 100yrds away make it hit like a BB gun.

Honestly it seems like your complaint has much more to do with the SR and not AR's in general. SR is a whole different beast, it has a perk that intentionally makes it a 'fast scout rifle' when ADS.

Yep. Haven't used a single shot gun ever since I switched to FR's. They have all the pros of a shotgun but increased range....then there is Pocket Infinity.

Bizazedo

Maybe bladedancer isn't that OP, but issues with garbage P2P PvP makes it come across as such? I don't know, but something needs to be done to it or about it so dancer can be countered more reliably.

Now it seems like roll of a dice each time even when you think you can take him out.
I've taken them down with Invective, before, but usually I still fail. Latency is probably the big problem with doing that reliably, you're probably right.

I still think it just needs to have its duration shortened. All supers are OP, it's okay that this one is....but they can go such a huge distance....

That's my only real gripe, the duration.

ARs and Shotguns losing "long range" damage boosts FR's by that %, basically. FR's already hit like fucking truck, most of the time straight out OHK, at very large range spread. I suspect we will see a lot more FR spammers after patch, it makes shotguns less viable after all.

Shotguns are hilariously bad in PvE and yeah, "fixing" them in PvP....only thing really is range. And that's probably ALSO due to latency.

I just hit 26 with a new legendary set of gloves. Should I think about doing the raid, or gain another level first?

I still don't have a legendary helmet, but I should be able to get one fairly soon once I can start earning vanguard points again.

Nameless

As a general rule nothing about your two sentences here is inaccurate.

However, they also strike me as nominally hilarious, because these ARs were OP. Potential impact of these changes aside- prior to this nerf, at least, they were a good choice at any engagement distance. From sniper rifle to shotgun range. That's absurd. Accurate guns for precision shots or high RoF combined with the generous auto-aim applied to ARs in Destiny in general meant that any "fair engagement" between an AR user and user of another weapon ended with the AR winning 9/10 times. This has relatively little to do with any individual gun in particular, but ensured that the guns that are particularly accurate for headshots (such as the SUROS Regime and Shingen-E) were incredibly dominant in practice.

The real kicker here is that this patch isn't actually going to come anywhere close to forcing people to use other guns. If you liked auto rifles before, you'll still like them now, and the main feature that made them so universally applicable, the point-and-shoot aim assist, isn't being touched at all. Inherently unstable entrants in the weapon class like Doctor Nope (and Hard Light to a lesser extent) may become even less viable, but that's making already subpar choices for PvP worse, a different problem than "an across the board nerf to get people to use other weapons."

I think you're over stating their effectiveness at distance(sniper range) a little. You might hit targets but it's not what I'd call effective or optimal. ARs in Destiny don't perform unlike AR in most shooters. They're meant to be extremely versatile and precise provided the user shoots wisely, and is able to compensate for the recoil as needed depending on the situation. The points you're making are par for the course for ARs in general. That's how they're designed to function. And that's why they tend to be the most popular option in the vast majority of shooters(and most militaries).

Booties

Banned
I just hit 26 with a new legendary set of gloves. Should I think about doing the raid, or gain another level first?

I still don't have a legendary helmet, but I should be able to get one fairly soon once I can start earning vanguard points again.

I made it to the final stage of the VoG raid at level 26. I was a huge detriment to the team. Enemies in the last stage are 1-2 levels higher than the required level so you want to be 27 to have a good time. Otherwise you will just die in one shot to everything.

I've taken them down with Invective, before, but usually I still fail. Latency is probably the big problem with doing that reliably, you're probably right.

I still think it just needs to have its duration shortened. All supers are OP, it's okay that this one is....but they can go such a huge distance....

That's my only real gripe, the duration.

It is nearly impossible to take down a Bladedancer when they are using their super. Latency/luck and extra people are pretty much always required.

It isn't so much the duration that is a problem (even though the talent and the helm that increases the duration are overkill) it is the auto lock on that I hate. Just run into people and look at them, spam dat knife. It is far cheaper than any other super.

ocean

Banned
Tip for Nightfall: when you get to the Spidertank, use Ice Breaker from the door as soon as you reach the clearing. No mobs spawn back there unless you move forward and draw them in. With three Ice Breakers you'll get the Spider down without having even been shot at.

You can then safely snipe Dregs and Vandals from a distance. I know it's not generally a difficult segment to begin with, but the insta-kill laser, Shanks and Captains can be tricky if you're up close.

What I find funny about the weapon balance update is that they are more or less removing the shotgun range they added in to the final game between beta and launch, lol.

AR's were also dropped a fair bit between the beta and final yet they still dominate, what sort of balancing was going on at bungie?

I will lol if Bungie stealth patch the Atheon cheese with this hotfix.

What's the cheese method for Atheon? a way to avoid teleportation?

forrest

formerly nacire
Well was invited to a group through DestinyLFG and it was a 5 man and we tried hard VoG. Im only lvl 27, but we got the door open and started the first encounter and I was doing well. We eventually bailed and loaded it on normal, but couldn't even complete the door opening.

Anyone have a decent group on PS3? I'm just looking for a normal mode group that's well organized and wants to have fun.

PS3 Forrest_Crump
Lvl 27 Hunter

dB Viper

It's so silly Bungie made these nerfs apply to PvE as well. My sliver of an impact gun, Atheon's Epilogue, is worthless now except for Void burn Nightfalls or Void shielded Vex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom