• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lima

I consider myself to be pretty good at MP, but holy crap do I feel outgunned. In my 4 shots to kill them, they run away or shredded me up. If they have a shotty they can even run up on me and one hit kill me in between shots :/

Yeah you want to have a hand cannon with fast firing rate. That's the reason The Last Word is so godlike.

Ken

These arc shields are pretty tough to break down even with void burn. My unupgraded Praedyth's barely does anything.

wtb solar burn

Exhumed

Just did VoG normal for the first time just now with some personal friends. We did not cheese anything and honestly, it wasn't that bad. We only wiped 5 times on Altheon and were done within 2 hours with 2 new people. Everything else was smooth as silk. Didnt get any legendaries or exotics but did get a ton of shards/energy which I've had a serious lack of. Got the shader, its sick!

hamchan

So, what's the Shingen-E of scout rifles for crucible these days? I have that solar scout rifle from the raid, I wonder if it's good.

raindoc

Did a couple of strikes and the hard raid using the patched Vex Mythoclast. Nerf is pretty tough, but the weapon's still fun to use. Doesn't eat through shields of whatever type anymore and bosses are back to being the boring low-point of every strike but overall it still eats adds for breakfast and I'll stick with it until RNGsus eventually decides to give me an exotic handcannon.

Did a couple of strikes and the hard raid using the patched Vex Mythoclast. Nerf is pretty tough, but the weapon's still fun to use. Doesn't eat through shields of whatever type anymore and bosses are back to being the boring low-point of every strike but overall it still eats adds for breakfast and I'll stick with it until RNGsus eventually decides to give me an exotic handcannon.

Confirmed Confluence is the new Mythoclast for PVE.

Tekku

How can anybody use a Handcannon in Pvp, with AR's and Shotguns running around?

I tried to use the Thorn and got slaughtered.

Thorn is not well suited for PvP atm. You would think that the "bleed effect" weighs up the lack of bullets and slow reload, but sadly it doesn't. The stability is also too low to upgrade it any other path.

If you wan't to go serious with handcannons in PvP you should look for large magazines and a combination of high stability, range and reload speed. And don't forget to check the upcoming upgrades, because they can affect all of those stats. Reload speed can also be affected by the right armor equipment.

Many people argue that The Last Word is the best PvP gun, but I think it's very situational because of its low range stat and lack of bullets. It's best suited for close situations where you need to go full power. The Chance (FWC handcannon) follows the same premise as The Last Word but don't come with the damage modifiers.

The best and most balanced PvP handcannon in my opinion is Lord High Fixer, with the stat combination that comes from the one that the Crucible vendor sells. It has a slightly lower rate of fire than The Last of Word and no modifiers to damage (even though it has a higher base damage). Other than that it outclasses it in every regard, especially the range stat which is insane with the modifier that comes with it. You can headshot targets from a very long distance which enables you to play it more safely and still be very lethal. Handcannons are headshot machines and in a close panic situation they don't always deliver. You would want something (in my opinion) that grants you strength at all distances and Lord High Fixer does just that. It also has some other neat perks, like a small model size which doesn't talk up half the screen when you run with it.

kidko

Ok the problem with trying this nightfall solo is that I've never done this strike solo, so there are elements that are quite different when there aren't other players distracting mobs. Will do the weekly first as practice... tomorrow.

Hard Light does so little damage in pvp. 17 for body shots and 21 for head shots.

ARs should have taken a purely range and stability nerf. Maybe even the critical hit nerf too but the damage on top was BS. This thing is a pea shooter in pve too.

CaptDjob

Neo Member

I use solely The Devil You Know on crusible these days. Gives 86 damage to head and I think its two headshots to kill. Or is it three?
At first I sucked real bad, but now starting to get those head shots and kills accordingly. I think its really a matter of practice, nothing else. My kd first was something 0.5(partly because I just capture the zones no matter if I get killed), but now slowly getting it to 1 which is fine for me for Control).

Good thing is that when you do get the kill, you really feel that you earned that.

I've just played some Hard Raid until the "Kill the Templar" part.

After a few hours I started thinking "why am I even doing this?" and I just turned my console off. Really, what's the point? I did this for several hours and we weren't even halfway to the end. I'm gonna need another game. Fortunately Dragon Age Inquisition isn't too far-off.

Ken

After a few hours I started thinking "why am I even doing this?" and I just turned my console off. Really, what's the point? I did this for several hours and we weren't even halfway to the end. I'm gonna need another game. Fortunately Dragon Age Inquisition isn't too far-off.

bro come back dont you want your shards and energiesssss

J-Rzez

It's a skill to kill weapon. Usually takes around 3 shots for me to drop someone. The AR nerf helped out other weapons. The scout rifle buff made them godly.

Another night, another night of no exotic handcannons, sucks.

Decided to run nightfall solo to get the last 150 FR kills to get Pocket Infinity (yeah horrible timing).

Got to the end, almost killed Sepiks, then he teleported and flank-one-shot me :(

Such is life.

colinp

Banned
Thorn is not well suited for PvP atm. You would think that the "bleed effect" weighs up the lack of bullets and slow reload, but sadly it doesn't. The stability is also too low to upgrade it any other path.

If you wan't to go serious with handcannons in PvP you should look for large magazines and a combination of high stability, range and reload speed. And don't forget to check the upcoming upgrades, because they can affect all of those stats. Reload speed can also be affected by the right armor equipment.

Many people argue that The Last Word is the best PvP gun, but I think it's very situational because of its low range stat and lack of bullets. It's best suited for close situations where you need to go full power. The Chance (FWC handcannon) follows the same premise as The Last Word but don't come with the damage modifiers.

The best and most balanced PvP handcannon in my opinion is Lord High Fixer, with the stat combination that comes from the one that the Crucible vendor sells. It has a slightly lower rate of fire than The Last of Word and no modifiers to damage (even though it has a higher base damage). Other than that it outclasses it in every regard, especially the range stat which is insane with the modifier that comes with it. You can headshot targets from a very long distance which enables you to play it more safely and still be very lethal. Handcannons are headshot machines and in a close panic situation they don't always deliver. You would want something (in my opinion) that grants you strength at all distances and Lord High Fixer does just that. It also has some other neat perks, like a small model size which doesn't talk up half the screen when you run with it.

Really interesting read.

I was surprised to get killed by a Thorn yesterday in Control- took me down real damn quick! Was wondering about it's viability given the general complaints about it.

kaiiri

Ok the problem with trying this nightfall solo is that I've never done this strike solo, so there are elements that are quite different when there aren't other players distracting mobs. Will do the weekly first as practice... tomorrow.

nightfall is actually easier isn't it with the void damage buff (given you have a void weapon?) I did it with a rare sniper and rare machine gun / rocket launcher combo.

squidyj

I really need to be more careful about who I raid with :l

anyways I peaced out at the first part of the atheon fight on normal so if anybody needs somebody for a raid, i wouldn't mind doing even the whole thing.

or a nightfall, i could run nightfall.

PS4 PSN Squidyj

kidko

nightfall is actually easier isn't it with the void damage buff (given you have a void weapon?) I did it with a rare sniper and rare machine gun / rocket launcher combo.

Yeah but as a 27, some enemies hit hard, and when I got caught off guard I panicked and couldn't get away from the captain/vandal rush during sepiks

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really interesting read.

I was surprised to get killed by a Thorn yesterday in Control- took me down real damn quick! Was wondering about it's viability given the general complaints about it.
thorn is viable in pvp. it really needs finesse and ideally a build supporting it though.
And its not an exotic, so you can still use one.
you cannot; the mythoclast is a primary weapon.

edit: oh, I misread you, yeah, sometimes legendaries are better than exotics because they're not exotics

Megatron

Decided to run nightfall solo to get the last 150 FR kills to get Pocket Infinity (yeah horrible timing).

Got to the end, almost killed Sepiks, then he teleported and flank-one-shot me :(

Such is life.

I spent a good chunk of today doing exactly this, except I'm a level 25 titan, so I just played the first parts a bunch, lol.

Flo_Evans

Hard Light does so little damage in pvp. 17 for body shots and 21 for head shots.

ARs should have taken a purely range and stability nerf. Maybe even the critical hit nerf too but the damage on top was BS. This thing is a pea shooter in pve too.

Yeah they killed it. Soft light.

Should of bought that damn suros, now I have 70 strange coins and a cool looking gun that is only good for patrol :(

colinp

Banned
thorn is viable in pvp. it really needs finesse and ideally a build supporting it though.

you cannot; the mythoclast is a primary weapon.

edit: oh, I misread you, yeah, sometimes legendaries are better than exotics because they're not exotics

I have neither finesse nor the Thorn so I won't worry about trying to make a build supporting if just yet. ;)

kuppy

Wait, am I just not finding it or is there no option in the game to take a close look at your character's face like when you first created it?

MrMuscle

Im looking to getting a legendary hand cannon from a vendor. I have ranked them all up to 3 except for the crucible. is "The devil you know" the best choice? Im mainly looking to using it for PVE.

SharkJAW

I have neither finesse nor the Thorn so I won't worry about trying to make a build supporting if just yet. ;)
I'd argue that it's not Thorn that's viable so much as the player. Thorn is not inherently better than pretty much any other hand cannon of legendary or better quality.

The only thing driving me was the vex. Now that they've nerfed that to oblivion I don't feel like playing the game anymore.

I removed it form my console and bought The Evil Within and Shadows of Mordor.
Maybe i'll download destiny again in December.

TTG

Someone give me a reason to join one of these factions. One weapon that stands out, a piece of gear, anything. Please?

CaptDjob

Neo Member
Im looking to getting a legendary hand cannon from a vendor. I have ranked them all up to 3 except for the crucible. is "The devil you know" the best choice? Im mainly looking to using it for PVE.

Can't go wrong with that. Done raid with that and it just works. 12 clip (might need some modifier to get this larger clip), quite fast reload and high damage. Plus it looks good and feels good.

ethomaz

Banned
Thank you so much @breakfuss.

I got another Helmet... I guess it is the third and I need LEGS (are you hearing me RNGeus?).

Almost forget....

I got Vex Mythoclast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom