• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done the raid twice now.

First raid, I got shards, Raid Chest, and Vision of Confluence.

Did it again list night and in a single run I got:
Praedyth's revenge.
Corrective Measure.
Patience and Time.
Atheon's Epilogue.

Am I hated?

The title for most hated for a Raid loot list is Somnium.

But don't worry. I hate you too

My salt is visible

gotcha. I wouldn't be surprised if that occurs. There was certainly no need to nerf it for PvE that I'm aware of.

I hope they balance separately for both. They've ruined my poor Universal Remote with the shotty nerf. I can't even use it in PvE now since most of the harder content doesn't allow me to get close.

Ahem, and now a message by..your sponsors.

Are you feeling tired of seeing the same title every day for the past week? Do you want something fresh? Sexy? Original? Well do we have the cure for you, prescribed by none other than Queen of England! That's right, a fresh new title that's hip with the kids and the old folks think it's pretty cool, too, that's right, it's OT8-Too Much Vault of Ass will Kill You.! From a naked perspective, it sounds like an awesome classic James Bond movie, but when you look closer to it, you realize, 'Oh, that's just a Queen reference!' Incredible, Sexy, Powerful. Truly the title to choose for the next OT!

Come on, let's be honest here. The number of people who (a) own a Vex, (b) killed the templar without using the exploit, and (c) kill Atheon without using the exploit, is about 3%.

Why not just Nerf everything then? I'm sure the same could be said about the majority of Nightfall and Weekly Heroic Strikes as well. No one deserved the coins they got to get Ice Breaker, so just reduce the mag to 2 shots, and double the re-gen time...That will make the game more fun!

I kind of agree about the Atheon exploit, but they should have just fixed it, and the handful of unearned Mythoclasts should have been considered water under the bridge. That exploit isn't like the others where you still have to work to get to that point since it's so easy just to join a game and get the checkpoint.

X-Frame

I hope they balance separately for both. They've ruined my poor Universal Remote with the shotty nerf. I can't even use it in PvE now since most of the harder content doesn't allow me to get close.

Ahem, and now a message by..your sponsors.

Shit, completely forgot about the Universal Remote. I just got it Last week too. Why do they have to blanket balance change all category weapons and not specific ones?

I guess into the vault it goes for me.

Got through this weeks Nightfall thanks to ZROCOOL.
And I got my first legendary primary as a reward!
I got the The Devil You Know hand cannon.
It has a perk where killing enemies reduces grenade cool down. Which is absolutely perfect as I am currently leveling my Sunsinger!

Went on to do the daily heroic and ended up scoring ass energy and some purple boots for my Warlock.

RNGesus seems to be smiling upon me tonight. Maybe I should forego sleep and play more...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Universal Remote (and shotguns in general) have always been useful mainly for PvP, so I don't know exactly where the "even in PvE" is coming from- and they are certainly still one hit kills from very close range as they should be. In PvE they are pretty much universally outclassed by fusion rifles in every department. I suppose an across the board buff for shotguns only in PvE would be fine, but I imagine the previous sentence will still remain true, so...
Destiny OT8 | Whine and Cheese
that'll do.

AngerdX

Wow i suck tried to solo the nightfall and seemed ok, but one mistep and bam back to orbit, and selfres wasn´t up.

Also still looking for a more permanent hard raid group for weekends, i can´t take another weekend of pick ups for it, most of the time it´s horrible even though you do meet the occasional awsome people.

I got my first ever legendary engram drop there :D

Got the zombie Apocalypse from it, which i assume is good! Right? RIGHT?!

Anyone wanna do Atheon on normal? I've got a checkpoint just at the gates. If not i'm happy to do the full raid again with someone!

panda-zebra

I dont think that can happen. (yet) Anyway, building your own via the rare sparrow and drive from Xur nets you a faster sparrow than Timebreaker anyway. Timebreaker just has that quick boost till you explode perk.

Timebreaker seems a lot faster than an upgraded rare sparrow to me and it's tougher, too. When I'm on my main character with a legendary sparrow upgraded from rare, the guys with their timebreakers easily push me out of the way and go faster. When I use my alt who has the timebreaker, nothing lives with it, but then I boost to the edge of boom quite a bit and no doubt they do, too, to piss off my lowly cut-n-shut.

T least 3 of us dropped timebreakers in two hard completions last week, I think one of the other fireteam's guys got one as well, but we're not played with them since so can't be sure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes. I think The Stranger's Rifle is actually one of the better ones?
Pulse rifles are the one gun type in this game I just cannot wrap my brain around. I have no idea what their intended role is or why you would ever, ever choose one over scout or auto
hand cannon
. That said, the Stranger's Rifle seems bizarrely effective in PvP IMO. Every once in a while I run into someone in Rumble that winds up near the top of the leaderboard using it.

I've actually heard good things about Bad Seed Down too, and been owned enough times to notice by Strange Suspect. But again, I just don't get the weapon class and its intended role.

--

re: Thorn

It needs some sort of a buff for PvE, certainly, but I'm actually getting sliiightly worried about any buff's effect on PvP. It might become a new FOTM op gun like Vision of Confluence is right now. Actually I wouldn't be that mad about it though, it'd be hilarious. Flashbacks of "lol abandon the bounty", "dismantle that gun it's junk", "worst exotic" etc.

Even having spent barely any time with it personally so far I can say with certainty that it's a very, very good weapon in the right hands. First off it's a hand cannon. So if you're expecting anything like the amount of "here have a headshot" like you get with auto rifles, snipers or even scout rifles, it's not gonna happen. Hand cannons reward good aim and punish a lack of it.

Past that generic point, it's an unremarkable and even poor hand cannon... until you unlock its unique upgrade. At which point it is unlike any other gun in the game, and certainly worthy of crafting a build around. I keep thinking about this comment from last night
I'd argue that it's not Thorn that's viable so much as the player. Thorn is not inherently better than pretty much any other hand cannon of legendary or better quality.
Oh.. it's not inherently better, and in many ways it's inherently worse. But what it is most of all is different than any other hand cannon of legendary or better quality. There is no reduplicating or comparing its innate DoT effect to any other gun, which makes it quite the unique beast, and not one to be written off.

The magazine is tiny, but that's an unavoidable downside. The reload speed, on the other hand, is deeply counterable, and doing so will be key to any devastatingly effective Thorn build, of which there can be many. So far as I know, there are three potential class-based builds that leverage a specific skill to counter the slow default reload of Thorn:

Chain of Woe (Gunslinger) - Precision kills boost reload speed, stacks up to 3 times in intensity
War Machine (Defender) - While Force Barrier is active, boost reload speed (this is the best reload speed skill in the game)
Surge (Voidwalker) - After Energy Drain, all weapon handling and movement is boosted

Outside of these builds which are dependent on subclass, you can leverage gear mods on just about any class to make a viable build out of it. Those of you who saw my Thornveil build (4th one down in this guidepost) note that it doesn't rely on any Sunsinger skills to help Thorn's reload, but instead calls for a specific pair of Legendary gauntlets, and then maxes out on every kind of DoT imaginable instead
god i seeeeeriously bet this would be a fun one to play

The Universal Remote (and shotguns in general) have always been useful mainly for PvP, so I don't know exactly where the "even in PvE" is coming from- and they are certainly still one hit kills from very close range as they should be. In PvE they are pretty much universally outclasses by fusion rifles in every department. I suppose an across the board buff for shotguns only in PvE would be fine, but I imagine the previous sentence will still remain true, so...

that'll do.

Like you said, Fusion Rifles are pretty much long range Shotguns. In PvE...it's painful using the UE. It's perk that increases range/precision damage doesn't work on shielded enemies(Well, the precision part of it), most bosses you can't get close to in order to take advantage of it either(Especially for being a primary weapon), and most fodder on the weekly Heroic or Nightfall can kill you with melee if you try to rush them down with it.

It's painful.

I dunno, I still like Snowblind's title.

Go with Whine and Cheese! Even I agree that it works. Do it, for the people~!

I've got a lovely weekend planned out of state with the wife and my parents. Filled with regret that I won't be able to spend all my coins and motes at Xur. What has Destiny done to me?

Afrocious

Whine and cheese for OT.

That, so far, is a succinct culmination of the game at this point. People whine and Bungie responds, yet cheese will always exist. Cheese is eternal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've got a lovely weekend planned out of state with the wife and my parents. Filled with regret that I won't be able to spend all my coins and motes at Xur. What has Destiny done to me?
Time to buy a vita, comrade
Whine and cheese for OT.

That, so far, is a succinct culmination of the game at this point. People whine and Bungie responds, yet cheese will always exist. Cheese is eternal.
it truly does appeal to all. I shall have a glass of pinot noir and a slice of havarti at lunch in its honor.

Temidien

Neo Member
Beyond those, the only non-RNG source of them is to buy armor with marks and dismantle it for shards. Chest/boots/gauntlets only- helms are more expensive.

I hadn't considered that route, thanks! My aim is to start farming events when I'm not doing "real" work like dailies/weeklies/raids, so hopefully I'll have a good stock of marks ready to spend in the coming weeks.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Whine and Cheese is a great title, but I'm sure we'll get something random that makes sense to only 3% of the playerbase. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom