• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quoting myself here to tell a story which may not be for the faint of heart. I overnight have gone from being one of RNGesus' forsaken, to becoming one of His Chosen Disciples.

So I got Patience and Time from the Nightfall on my Titan yesterday. After work I hopped on and ran the Nightfall on my Hunter, got Hard Light.

Ran the raid on my Titan. Got raid gloves from the Templar (needed boots, already have gloves). On the way to the Gorgon's Lair I tell my group that I got Hard Light and Patience and Time.

They are giving me hell because I got two exotic weapons in one day. I said "Well, yeah, it is cool. But I don't really NEED those weapons, all I need to hit 30 is my raid boots. The only exotic weapons really on my wishlist are The Last Word and Red Death."

We get to the first Gorgon's chest. Boom. The Last Word. Group hates me.

We defeat Atheon. Boom. Red Death AND Vision of Confluence. Group hates me.

We cleared the raid in under an hour, so we decided to run it on our alts. Hop on my hunter. We defeat the Templar, I get my raid boots for my hunter.

Defeat Atheon. I get my second Atheon's Epilogue, which I dismantle. Group hates me.

Raid is over, I decided to do one of the bounties, the Shrines of Oryx. Find a Legendary Heavy engram right before the boss. Decrypts into Zombie Apocalypse.

So in one day my spoils were:

Hard Light
Patience and Time
Red Death
The Last Word
Vision of Confluence
Atheon's Epilogue
Zombie Apocalypse
Titan raid gloves
Hunter raid boots

Pretty pleased, although now I have so many weapons I literally can't choose which ones I want to use. Yes, feel free to hate me. Bear in mind though, prior to yesterday, every single Legendary or Exotic I had on any character was from farming marks and buying things from Xur. Never a single decent drop to speak of for five weeks. So in the end, random chance equals itself out. It will probably be another month before I see good loot again. Haha.

I'm the same. I'll get everything in one day then it'll be a desert for a few weeks

Juraash

Didn't have a ton of time to play last night, but I did knock out most of the PVE bounties for the day and the Nightfall solo. Only got mats for the Nightfall, but seeing as I don't have raid gear yet I'm still happy with them (even if it isn't as exciting in the moment to see).

Speaking of the raid, the next couple of evenings are probably my best shot to give it a try this week. I usually start my playtime around 5:30-6pm pacific. So if someone is planning a raid tonight I'd like to get in on it (I'll post again later cause I doubt people will remember this post hours from now).

I'm on PS4, psn is: kaiotheforsaken. My only raid experience in this game is watching some boss vids. Level 29 Warlock, prefer Void but will probably run Sun so I'm less of a liability to the group.

Edit: Looking for normal mode only right now.

EL CUCO

Has anybody put the "Armor Piercing Rounds" perk to the test on some Praetorians?

I've never used it myself but I'm wondering if its actually effective, or just a fluffy description.
These are the things I think of while at work.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How?! My group can't get by the gates. They just end up at each other's throats. I need a better raid group :( ...but friends and all. It gets so bad we found out one of the guys that USED to be in the group was a closet racist. It get bad, real bad.

I did a pug and finished the raid in under an hour.

skip

Two hard game crashes this morning -- happens as I'm changing gear and a crucible match loads. Anyone else experiencing this?

realcZk

Has anybody put the "Armor Piercing Rounds" perk to the test on some Praetorians?

I'm wondering if its actually effective, or just a fluffy description.
These are the things I think of while at work.

Do you mean piercing the shield? Or piercing the invisible walls in the raid spawn points? It works on the spawn points. You can damage them before they walk out completely.

LiK

How?! My group can't get by the gates. They just end up at each other's throats. I need a better raid group :( ...but friends and all. It gets so bad we found out one of the guys that USED to be in the group was a closet racist. It gets bad, real bad.
That's a really bad group. Go with another group.

Tawpgun

Beat the raid with 4 hunters, 2 warlocks in 1 hr 33 minutes.

VoxuShp.png

Stop hating on the hunter class, aka the best class.

Classic Xbone A I R F L O W strat. 4 hunters, 2 lesser classes.

Dax is also the worst OP ever

Deku Tree

Have we heard if Bad Juju will be one of the exotic's they will be buffing in the next update? I would have to think so...

I haven't personally heard about Bad Juju getting a buff or not, but I don't read everything Bungie writes... Even if it did get a buff I would guess from the most recent update that they would simply buff all pulse rifles with some percentage formula based upon base stats rather than specifically give Bad Juju its own exotic buff.

Complete the raid for the first time last night! I did it with randoms through Destinylfg.net so it took about 30 minutes of unwieldly XBL messaging and junk but it went over great.

My group was in that perfect sweet spot for a VOG virgin where they knew the locations of most chests/strats for the bosses but where far from a well oiled machine capable of speed running the raid.

We did pretty well outside of a few connection issues and 2 or 3 wipes from random mistakes on our part. Atheon was a bitch tho. An hour of the 3ish we took on the raid was probably dedicated to him, switching between trying to cheese him of the ledge and legit fighting him. Just as we where getting tired and about to call it a night we FINALLY made him take the fall to his death. I think we could have beaten him legit had we not been getting sleepy/the raid would stop being glitchy but whatever.

Got a Universal Remote, VOG ship, 3 pieces of raid gear (2 of the same boots, chest) and about 12 ass shards. The only thing I was hoping to get out of the raid was Chatterwhite since my shader selection sucks but I cant really complain. At least I finally get to replace my fugly Queen's gear tho I don't care for the stat spread on my raid stuff and my female Titan now looks like a dude with how bulky the armor is lol.

Overall it was really fun (especially considering I mostly find PVE boring). Can't wait for next Tuesday to run it again.

Bildocube

Fast question:

Finished the Raid last night on Normal. Is there any benefit to doing it on Hard before the weekly reset or would I be wasting my time?

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Continued from Part 4a

That's it! Whether or not you decide to get into build theory, and however you choose to play Destiny, I hope that you'll at least consider mixing things up if you're getting frustrated. There really is a lot to like here, and it's a lot of fun to get into if you're interested. I'll be sticking with it for quite some time. If you read this far, thanks for taking the time and I hope this information was useful and possibly gave you some ideas of where to go from where you're at. :)

Hawkian, I've got to say your guides have been absolutely amazing and I've read all of it more than once and was happy that I was already doing some of things you had mentioned in each part as I know you know what you're talking about. I've also shared them with my "other clan" outside of GAF and they love them too. I'll be hitting 28 shortly (I stopped at 27 on purpose until I did normal mode raid and got 1 piece of raid armor. I finally did the raid for the first time and got a Titan chest). So I'll be following very much the same path you are from here on out to level 30. I really appreciate all the work you've put into making the game even more enjoyable.

I look forward to playing Destiny with you at some point soon! Add me as an alt to raid as I look to do normal (and hard if possible) at least once a week. Cheers!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Fast question:

Finished the Raid last night on Normal. Is there any benefit to doing it on Hard before the weekly reset or would I be wasting my time?

Another chance at gear. The gear is mostly the same, except a few different drops on the last boss.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
You're kidding yourself if you think even half of the people went through the full raid.

Most are getting Atheon hard checkpoint and cheesing him while skipping the hardest part.

I went through the full raid for the first time with some Gaffers yesterday. Mind you it was normal mode, but we were in and out in under an hour and it was awesome.

Yup the normal Raid is not that bad if players are properly leveled and know what to do.

This is huge. Even if you tell a new player... "Your job is to cover the right conflux dont let any mobs tough it... all you gotta do!" it wont go well. Takes experience.

Hell, i even get flustered at times covering a side or gate/inside portal im not super used to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, I've got to say your guides have been absolutely amazing and I've read all of it more than once and was happy that I was already doing some of things you had mentioned in each part as I know you know what you're talking about. I've also shared them with my "other clan" outside of GAF and they love them too. I'll be hitting 28 shortly (I stopped at 27 on purpose until I did normal mode raid and got 1 piece of raid armor. I finally did the raid for the first time and got a Titan chest). So I'll be following very much the same path you are from here on out to level 30. I really appreciate all the work you've put into making the game even more enjoyable.

I look forward to playing Destiny with you at some point soon! Add me as an alt to raid as I look to do normal (and hard if possible) at least once a week. Cheers!
Thanks a ton for reading and also sharing the info. It's nice to think that there are at least some people out there getting as much out of the game as I am :D Every once in a while I question whether it's at all worth the effort I put into this stuff but whenever I get a comment like this I remember it is.

And I'm also glad you're considering the same path I'm on with regard to leveling/progression. I gotta say, especially after dipping my toes into soloing tough content and hearing just how much of a difference the Hard raid is over the normal in frustration factor, I'm even happier to stay at 28 for the moment than when I wrote that guide. At this point I'm actually thinking... if I get the gear to make it to 30 by December, so be it... if not, two raids a week = twice the chances, lol

edit: Oh and congrats on your first Raid complete! awesome feeling :D

nowai

I went through the full raid for the first time with some Gaffers yesterday. Mind you it was normal mode, but we were in and out in under an hour and it was awesome.

Grats on your run!

The issue though is hard mode. The overwhelming majority of the population with the raid helms and a Mythocast did not legit clear the heroic raid.

They skipped the hardest content and went straight to cheese Atheon.

RedFury

Bad Juju is confirmed to get a buff in the future.
This pleases me. Working on the bounty now. Best weapon model in the game(this is not an opinion, this is fact. All though an argument can be made for the hawkmoon). It needs more impact and a bigger mag.

NastyBook

Monte Carlo needs a buff. It's just sitting in my vault looking all shiny and useless atm.
Got my MC on my Warlock ATM. Unlocked Send It and Monte Carlo method last night, then took it into the Crucible and won a few firefights against Suros users. But I'm willing to put in the work with my troubled Exotics, so YMMV.

hydruxo

Got my MC on my Warlock ATM. Unlocked Send It and Monte Carlo method last night, then took it into the Crucible and won a few firefights against Suros users. But I'm willing to put in the work with my troubled Exotics, so YMMV.

It's a fun weapon, it's just too unreliable for my tastes. Some slight tweaks could make it worth using.

milkham

I'm looking for a legendary hand cannon, I got a Venation III from nightfall yesterday with the following bonuses
Radar stays active while ADS
Kills with this weapon grant bonus reserve ammo
also has a choice of Field Scout, Flared Magwell and Explosive rounds
8 round magazine

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Lord High Fixer or a Devil You Know or if the Venation will do it for me, any thoughts from hand cannon users?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Monte Carlo method
that is an awesome name for an upgrade in this game, and I hadn't looked up what it did until just now.... the Sunsinging possibilities *________* now i want it
I'm looking for a legendary hand cannon, I got a Venation III from nightfall yesterday with the following bonuses
Radar stays active while ADS
Kills with this weapon grant bonus reserve ammo
also has a choice of Field Scout, Flared Magwell and Explosive rounds
8 round magazine

I'm trying to decide if I should get a Lord High Fixer or a Devil You Know or if the Venation will do it for me, any thoughts from hand cannon users?
Based on the relatively small mag with no reload speed upgrades, I'm gonna call that Venation subpar as an all-purpose HC. What class are you? You could finagle a build around it, potentially, but it's not the out-and-out workhorse you'd get from a LHF or TDYK.

edit: Radar while ADS is awesome for hand cannons though. if you can build around it then it's totally got potential, don't just go dismantling it right away

EL CUCO

From what I can tell these just pass through and can damage mobs behind the target. Useful for swarms or if you can get allot of shots on them as they file out of the spawn points.

Doesn't seem to take down shields any faster.

Thanks. I guess it'd be good for a mob of Goblins or fanatics, at the least then lol

A friend started 2 days ago, so I started a Hunter with them to go through their story mode playthrough... My god what an amazing class. This is coming from a diehard Warlock player.

GhaleonEB

^^ I also like this. I can troll people, and it's mod-suggested!

Don't weight my suggestions more heavily than anyone else's. I'm just some dude. :)

Seems to fit, though.

I want to play Destiny lately, but every time I do I feel like Destiny doesn't want me to play it.

milkham

that is an awesome name for an upgrade in this game, and I hadn't looked up what it did until just now.... the Sunsinging possibilities *________* now i want it

Based on the relatively small mag with no reload speed upgrades, I'm gonna call that Venation subpar as an all-purpose HC. What class are you? You could finagle a build around it, potentially, but it's not the out-and-out workhorse you'd get from a LHF or TDYK.

going on my hunter, currently have the last word, hawkmoon and thorn but I need a legendary so i can use other exotics. what's your go-to hawkian?
edit: i've also got the knucklehead radar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom