• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more than enough shards to get to 30 and to provide to my Warlock and Hunter alts. I have helmet, chest and gauntlet exotics. So I either need the helmet or gauntlets to get to 30.

Is it worth it doing the raid on hard in 1 go for the week or doing normal and then hard?

I've heard that hard is the way to go since you get all of the loot from normal at the same time. That said, I like doing the raid, and don't mind easing my way into hard by practicing on normal as much as possible. Jealous at all of those shards. I spend them as I get them and never have more then 10 or so with a bunch of slots waiting to be filled.

Sullichin

It's not just the revive, it's also that you then get to use your super power and spam your grenade of choice all over the map... There's just no going back. maybe every class should have the self-revive option.

I kinda think there should be a third subclass for Titan/Hunter that has something similar. Having self revive makes certain hard things WAY easier. Nightfall strike? I'll just wait for my special to charge before fighting the boss. I'm not complaining, I'd be too frustrated without having it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great, this is what makes this game so shitty. Being able to level to 30 shouldn't require the fucking awful RNG system. It makes me NOT look forward to a possible level cap.
*shrug* might help to just alter your perspective a little bit. unless your thinking is "I'm done with this fucking game as soon as I hit 30," actually breaching that threshold is just-barely-not-really-even-quite-ever necessary. if your'e so inclined this guide elaborates.

on a broader note, i personally just can't imagine playing a game I thought was shitty, let alone playing it for as long as it must have taken you to hit 29.
Warlock is the only class that I don't see valid reasons to play both subclasses while I absolutely suscribe to Hawkians train of thought on swapping for the right situation for the other two classes.
I actually agree with this too. the better I come to know Warlocks the more I see they're the class with the least need to switch based on scenario. both subclasses are viable and self-sufficient and more than anything I just wish I could mix and match a few voidwalker powers on my sunbro omg blink surge and flameshield omg gimme plz omg.

Nodnol

So whilst out on Patrol a purple drops...

Master Rahool grants me the Legendary Scout Rifle The Calling.

Field Scout, missed shots return to mag AND quicker reload with kills.

Perfect.

The Universal Remote (and shotguns in general) have always been useful mainly for PvP, so I don't know exactly where the "even in PvE" is coming from- and they are certainly still one hit kills from very close range as they should be. In PvE they are pretty much universally outclassed by fusion rifles in every department. I suppose an across the board buff for shotguns only in PvE would be fine, but I imagine the previous sentence will still remain true, so...

that'll do.

Like you said, Fusion Rifles are pretty much long range Shotguns. In PvE...it's painful using the UE. It's perk that increases range/precision damage doesn't work on shielded enemies(Well, the precision part of it), most bosses you can't get close to in order to take advantage of it either(Especially for being a primary weapon), and most fodder on the weekly Heroic or Nightfall can kill you with melee if you try to rush them down with it.

It's painful.

Go with Whine and Cheese! Even I agree that it works. Do it, for the people~!

I would not under sell shotguns too much. Granted i'm mainly using invective (exotic) and the comedian (Legendary). The invective has saved me many times when a armored major comes running my way. The heavy damage in a pinch is what i use shotguns for when you are in the thick of it. Fusion rifles are not quick to shoot which can leave you in a bind if you need to get the shoot off right away. Mid to long range fusion rifle are great maybe even king if you need a well rounded heavy damage weapon. But up close and personal there is still use for them shotguns.

1890628_307160142824079_1144498365012642024_o.jpg

Finally lvl 30.

Navy Bean

I kinda think there should be a third subclass for Titan/Hunter that has something similar. Having self revive makes certain hard things WAY easier. Nightfall strike? I'll just wait for my special to charge before fighting the boss. I'm not complaining, I'd be too frustrated without having it.

It's easily the best option for solo play...especially the Nightfall.

Ramirez

Give every class self revive? lol, please no.

Sunsingers should be completely reworked, as no one uses anything but self revive, and that is poor design.

Tekku

People are already complaining about hand cannons from various forums I've seen, Bungie working on a nerf as I type this. Also, they'll nerf Ice Breaker just for the hell of it - it won't regenerate ammo any more.

Handcannons overall are perfectly balanced. The only guns that might need some tweaks for PvP are The Last Word and Thorn.

nowai

You don't need sunbros in hard mode raid. Hate to be that guy but... Git gud and don't die. You know when you're about to die or taking too much damage, when that happens back up and recover. Did hard mode raid once today and once yesterday, only one sunbro on each run. They're not necessary. If anything being a sunbro is a handicap because they play less carefully knowing that they can res and sit on their super when they could use voidwalker super to actually kill things and prevent deaths.

Perfectly said.

Again, on normal, anything goes. Heroic, stop playing so reckless and don't rely on the radiance crutch.

Hell yeah! Got the warlock raid helm for completing the hard raid. Have full raid gear, just need like a dozen shards and I can finally reach level 30!

Namikaze1

Hmm. I should really transfer my Main's gear over to my alt before the raid tonight but this tv movie is too good. I would pause it if not for the fact the pause button on the remote haven't been working for weeks.

While on Destiny, I earlier mentioned having to pick between Gjallahorn and Ice Breaker to fully upgrade due to insufficient Ass Energy. I checked my Ass Energy count later after that post went up and noticed I have more than enough to upgrade both. Now I have to pick over which one should I upgrade first.

Navy Bean

Sunsingers should be completely reworked, as no one uses anything but self revive, and that is poor design.

I wouldn't mind if they reworked it (to add other viable options). I would mind if they removed it.

Poor design is just removing things that people enjoy...oh, wait

LiK

Hmm. I should really transfer my Main's gear over to my alt before the raid tonight but this tv movie is too good. I would pause it if not for the fact the pause button on the remote haven't been working for weeks.

While on Destiny, I earlier mentioned having to pick between Gjallahorn and Ice Breaker to fully upgrade due to insufficient Ass Energy. I checked my Ass Energy count later after that post went up and noticed I have more than enough to upgrade both. Now I have to pick over which one should I upgrade first.

Need one more? Time?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think we need a separate thread so everyone has one place they can post all of their loot they receive each time they receive something new.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah that's.... lmao
but no to this. first off, you can't "use nothing but self-revive." It's one skill column out of a few choices that need to be made on a sunsinger, and the other two choices in that one column are as follows:
  • Song of Flame: While active, Radiance reduces all cooldowns for nearby allies. <- this is the one that could use some kind of a buff, as I consider it worthless. Maybe if it were just "for your fireteam" with no distance restriction.
  • Radiant Skin: While active, Radiance reduces incoming damage. <- I'm really getting the impression that people are underestimating Radiant Skin. It makes a big damn difference and makes Radianced-out Sunsingers unexpectedly hardy in PvP. I have multiple builds in mind that leverage this skill and that means not taking Fireborn. Specifically, if you use Apotheosis Veil in a build, you want this- change your "oh shit, Super!" moment from after death to just before it, as the helm will instantly heal you from a sliver of health, but completely waste its effect if using Fireborn.
  • Fireborn: Radiance can now be activated from beyond the grave. Doing so returns you to life. <- it's just an awesome skill and no one should be ashamed to choose it under any scenario. not surprised it's the most popular of the three, and there's nothing wrong with it.
a complete rework is waaaay overkill.

Bizazedo

Only if you're prone to dying.

Kind of misses the point. Warlock is better than you for raid because he has a super that does great damage *or* he can self-revive if something crazy happens. Or to help start an encounter to allow further cheese, for instance, and have everyone, still, snipe oracles from a distance.

Even the best raiders in the world have people die on attempts from time to time, so saying the equivalent of "Don't suck" beyond the trolling reasons is ..... again, missing the point.

This isn't to say the other classes don't come with huge pluses. Golden Gun for Oracles is great. Defender + damage bubble for dps increase and to help prevent the Templar from teleporting safely is great.

Warlock, though, you can feel safe about stacking.

Greenymac

I use TDYK all the time in PvE to shoot stuff in the beak. It one shots just about everything but the yellow mobs that need a few extra depending on the difficulty.

The dEVIL yOU KNOWis an absolute monster...headshots only though. The perfect balance perk and the ammo directly into the magazine are irreplacable. Easily my favorite owned weapon.

on a broader note, i personally just can't imagine playing a game I thought was shitty, let alone playing it for as long as it must have taken you to hit 29...
Same here. Take away the leveling and loot and I'd still enjoy playing. I would not keep playing if I hated it just to reach some kind of end-of-game milestone.

It's useful if you die a lot, none of your non-sunbro teammates get a free death - they have to not die in the first place.
Yeah but if your whole team is about to wipe, a Sunbro can reach back from the abyss to not only save his or her own bacon but get the rest of the team revived.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Same here. Take away the leveling and loot and I'd still enjoy playing. I would not keep playing if I hated it just to reach some kind of end-of-game milestone.
yeah... I try not to drive the point home too hard, but um, for all the complaint about shitty rewards and incentivization and loot, I'm pretty sure I'd still really enjoy destiny even if it had no "rewards" :X it's fun to play you guys
Yeah but if your whole team is about to wipe, a Sunbro can reach back from the abyss to not only save his or her own bacon but get the rest of the team revived.
Minor note, but I fucking LOVE how on a nightfall, if all three die, the screen actually goes black before the Sunsinger activates and it's like BOOP no just kidding, you're all good

yeah that's.... lmao

but no to this. first off, you can't "use nothing but self-revive." It's one skill column out of a few choices that need to be made on a sunsinger, and the other two choices in that one column are as follows:
  • Song of Flame: While active, Radiance reduces all cooldowns for nearby allies. <- this is the one that could use some kind of a buff, as I consider it worthless. Maybe if it were just "for your fireteam" with no distance restriction.
  • Radiant Skin: While active, Radiance reduces incoming damage. <- I'm really getting the impression that people are underestimating Radiant Skin. It makes a big damn difference and makes Radianced-out Sunsingers unexpectedly hardy in PvP. I have multiple builds in mind that leverage this skill and that means not taking Fireborn. Specifically, if you use Apotheosis Veil in a build, you want this- change your "oh shit, Super!" moment from after death to just before it, as the helm will instantly heal you from a sliver of health, but completely waste its effect if using Fireborn.
  • Fireborn: Radiance can now be activated from beyond the grave. Doing so returns you to life. <- it's just an awesome skill and no one should be ashamed to choose it under any scenario. not surprised it's the most popular of the three, and there's nothing wrong with it.
a complete rework is waaaay overkill.

This is a good question for you...

I have an Ice Breaker... I got the Hawkmoon last night. Cannot equip both at the same time (as amazing as this would be). It annoys the crap out of me that I have to continuously change my loadout dependent on the situation. Any thoughts on what to do about this? I was rolling with the Shadow Price and Ice Breaker and then started rolling with the Hawkmoon and 77 Wizard last night.

I know, I know. This is a good problem to have. Whatever, it's still a problem.

yeah... I try not to drive the point home too hard, but um, for all the complaint about shitty rewards and incentivization and loot, I'm pretty sure I'd still really enjoy destiny even if it had no "rewards" :X it's fun to play you guys
I think some folks are just driven by a need to finish the game, whatever that means in a particular game's context, and they just push themselves, against their own enjoyment sometimes, to achieve it.

I actually agree with this too. the better I come to know Warlocks the more I see they're the class with the least need to switch based on scenario. both subclasses are viable and self-sufficient and more than anything I just wish I could mix and match a few voidwalker powers on my sunbro omg blink surge and flameshield omg gimme plz omg.
Oh how glorious it would be to mix skills but way OP haha It seems some people here are overlooking at how amazing Radiance is itself and they are only seeing it as a self revive tool. I feel like a monster when I'm in it being able to spam extremely powerful grenades, it's extremely viable to activate outside of death situations and it's to the point where you killing me only makes me more powerful mwahaha If you don't care to use the self revive "crutch" then you can up your toughness while in Radiance to survive multiple scenarios you wouldn't without the perk. Radiance is the bees knees.

I'm really curious what the Arc subclass will be like whenever they add it through DLC.
1890628_307160142824079_1144498365012642024_o.jpg

Finally lvl 30.

Congrats, Lady Math! I have full Raid gear and could hit 30 now but I'm trying to be smart about it and save the shards for an exotic. I'm going to finish maxing out the gloves to hit 29 and then it's just a waiting game to get Praxic Fire...pls Xur, pls.... I was hoping I'd get it from NF like a few here but alas, Monte Carlo instead. Still, best reward I've had from a NF haha

True, but we were talking hard-mode raid viability here (no revives).
I see. Having never done hard-mode, do you get respawned at a checkpoint? If so, it would still prove useful if, say at the end of a boss fight, you could revive and finish the section and get the team back.

ZOONAMI

Minor note, but I fucking LOVE how on a nightfall, if all three die, the screen actually goes black before the Sunsinger activates and it's like BOOP no just kidding, you're all good

This. I would still be playing if there was no loot, just weapons that drop off enemies, like Halo. If the PvP just had loadouts and then drops off of other players, I'd still be playing PvP, heck that might actually be a better system. If you treat the game more like the fps that it is and less like an MMO, you will have more fun.

realcZk

I see. Having never done hard-mode, do you get respawned at a checkpoint? If so, it would still prove useful if, say at the end of a boss fight, you could revive and finish the section and get the team back.

Yes, you have to hard-wipe and reset at checkpoint. There is no revive ability at all during the VoG on hard mode. The original argument was that a voidwalker is more useful to the team during the VoG hard than a sunsinger and I do agree with that for the most part. Sunsinger is an awesome class and definitely shines in other areas of the game, saving my ass many times. It depends on your role in the raid and how it's played.

Bizazedo

I don't see why. Pocket Infiniy chewed through ammo fast. It was a natural limiter on PvE. PvP has special ammo spawn points all over the place, so the ammo issue never really matters.

Why? You're shelling out 8 shots immediately instead of 3. That's a huge burst of damage. That's ignoring that a player should die after two huge hits at most. Three if they're overshielded / bladedancing, MAYBE? But probably two?

Aside from our opinions, though, why do you *know* it was a PvP nerf? Mythoclast is blatantly obvious, but PI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom