• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is a good question for you...

I have an Ice Breaker... I got the Hawkmoon last night. Cannot equip both at the same time (as amazing as this would be). It annoys the crap out of me that I have to continuously change my loadout dependent on the situation. Any thoughts on what to do about this? I was rolling with the Shadow Price and Ice Breaker and then started rolling with the Hawkmoon and 77 Wizard last night.

I know, I know. This is a good problem to have. Whatever, it's still a problem.
wellllll... clearly you're not going to like this answer cause you mention the annoyance right all up in there... but the real answer is that ideally, you would swap them out based on the situation. that's what I do :-[ I almost always swap to an Exotic heavy weapon for bosses and it makes a big difference! you can get quite quick at it ;)

Outside of that though, you can replicate Hawkmoon's qualities with just a little less "oomph" in The Devil You Know, Lord High Fixer, or Red Hand IX, and keep it on you as a replacement instead of completely changing gun type when not using your exotic HC. Then Final Boss is a great sub replacement for Ice Breaker (solar, awesome impact).

I'd say you can just pick in orbit: is whatever you're about to do totally ideal for snipers? Then bring your Legendary HC of choice and Ice Breaker. More close quarters stuff? take Hawkmoon and Final Boss.

Another note is- is anyone else on your team bringing Ice Breaker? If so, you're cool to stow it and run an exotic HC and leg. Fusion/Sniper IMO. If not, it's a massive asset.

So, sorry there's no ideal answer... hope this helped, in um, some way :p

Two Words

Why? You're shelling out 8 shots immediately instead of 3. That's a huge burst of damage.

Aside from our opinions, though, why do you *know* it was a PvP nerf? Mythoclast is blatantly obvious, but PI?
Because I was absolutely destroying in PvP with it. The extra shots allowed you to basically charge ahead of time, start firing before you even see your target that you know is nearby, then just look at him while you are already firing. Doing that in PvE would be a huge waste of ammo.

ZangBa

Radiant Skin would be more useful if it reduced the entire fireteams incoming damage for its duration. It would be way better than Fireborn, and then we could make fun of all the selfish sunsingers that won't git gud.

Kind of misses the point. Warlock is better than you for raid because he has a super that does great damage *or* he can self-revive if something crazy happens. Or to help start an encounter to allow further cheese, for instance, and have everyone, still, snipe oracles from a distance.

Even the best raiders in the world have people die on attempts from time to time, so saying the equivalent of "Don't suck" beyond the trolling reasons is ..... again, missing the point.

This isn't to say the other classes don't come with huge pluses. Golden Gun for Oracles is great. Defender + damage bubble for dps increase and to help prevent the Templar from teleporting safely is great.

Warlock, though, you can feel safe about stacking.

lol pls

Two Words

Can you get Vision of Confluence in normal mode for the raid?
Yes, that's how I got it. My first time doing the raid, I got the Vision of Confluence, and Ice Breaker just from Atheon and the Timekeeper parts. I haven't gotten anything but shards and energies since then :(

nowai

Kind of misses the point. Warlock is better than you for raid because he has a super that does great damage *or* he can self-revive if something crazy happens. Or to help start an encounter to allow further cheese, for instance, and have everyone, still, snipe oracles from a distance.

Even the best raiders in the world have people die on attempts from time to time, so saying the equivalent of "Don't suck" beyond the trolling reasons is ..... again, missing the point.

This isn't to say the other classes don't come with huge pluses. Golden Gun for Oracles is great. Defender + damage bubble for dps increase and to help prevent the Templar from teleporting safely is great.

Warlock, though, you can feel safe about stacking.

...or anyone could just go into the spirit bloom chest room and be 100% safe from anything while still attacking the center oracle.

Git gud, isn't trolling, it's the truth. It's crude, sure, but it's still the truth.

Locks are the squishiest and require finesse to play successfully in the heroic raid. More often than not, Sunbros use Radiance as a crutch for sloppy play.

E92 M3

Destiny Destiny Destiny can't you see
Your loot just hypnotizes me
Your stupid patches hurt me
Destiny Destiny Destiny can't you see

Don't judge I am bored lol.

Greenymac

This is a good question for you...

I have an Ice Breaker... I got the Hawkmoon last night. Cannot equip both at the same time (as amazing as this would be). It annoys the crap out of me that I have to continuously change my loadout dependent on the situation. Any thoughts on what to do about this? I was rolling with the Shadow Price and Ice Breaker and then started rolling with the Hawkmoon and 77 Wizard last night.

I know, I know. This is a good problem to have. Whatever, it's still a problem.

*waves fist in jealous anger.... Hawkmoon....want

Yes, you have to hard-wipe and reset at checkpoint. There is no revive ability at all during the VoG on hard mode. The original argument was that a voidwalker is more useful to the team during the VoG hard than a sunsinger and I do agree with that for the most part. Sunsinger is an awesome class and definitely shines in other areas of the game, saving my ass many times. It depends on your role in the raid and how it's played.
Ah, okay. I'm trying to hold off investing shards in non-raid gear so who knows how long it will take me to get from 28 to 29 and thus to hard mode raiding.

Can you get Vision of Confluence in normal mode for the raid?

Yep, it's where I got mine and it's the best Scout in the game, don't even want Multi anymore save for exotic collection purposes. You can only get it as a drop from the final boss, however. I've been a day 1 Scout Rifle Guardian like you so getting this was pretty much the best thing ever. Ok, maxing it out just in time for the buff was ;P

nowai

Yeah but if your whole team is about to wipe, a Sunbro can reach back from the abyss to not only save his or her own bacon but get the rest of the team revived.

I said it before, but you have 100% clarified it. A lot of you don't do the heroic raid.

On heroic raid, there is NO REVIVE.

Again, on normal, anything goes. Heroic, you self-ressing helps only you.

wellllll... clearly you're not going to like this answer cause you mention the annoyance right all up in there... but the real answer is that ideally, you would swap them out based on the situation. that's what I do :-[ I almost always swap to an Exotic heavy weapon for bosses and it makes a big difference! you can get quite quick at it ;)

Outside of that though, you can replicate Hawkmoon's qualities with just a little less "oomph" in The Devil You Know, Lord High Fixer, or Red Hand IX, and keep it on you as a replacement instead of completely changing gun type when not using your exotic HC. Then Final Boss is a great sub replacement for Ice Breaker (solar, awesome impact).

I'd say you can just pick in orbit: is whatever you're about to do totally ideal for snipers? Then bring your Legendary HC of choice and Ice Breaker. More close quarters stuff? take Hawkmoon and Final Boss.

Another note is- is anyone else on your team bringing Ice Breaker? If so, you're cool to stow it and run an exotic HC and leg. Fusion/Sniper IMO. If not, it's a massive asset.

First you AFK when I join your fire team and now THIS?? What the hell, man?

Ha, but seriously I figured this would kind of be the answer. Yes, others in my team have the IB so I guess that's cool. I really need to find a legendary sniper rifle it would seem. Thanks for the thoughts.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Oh how glorious it would be to mix skills but way OP haha It seems some people here are overlooking at how amazing Radiance is itself and they are only seeing it as a self revive tool. I feel like a monster when I'm in it being able to spam extremely powerful grenades, it's extremely viable to activate outside of death situations and it's to the point where you killing me only makes me more powerful mwahaha If you don't care to use the self revive "crutch" then you can up your toughness while in Radiance to survive multiple scenarios you wouldn't without the perk. Radiance is the bees knees.

I'm really curious what the Arc subclass will be like whenever they add it through DLC.

Congrats, Lady Math! I have full Raid gear and could hit 30 now but I'm trying to be smart about it and save the shards for an exotic. I'm going to finish maxing out the gloves to hit 29 and then it's just a waiting game to get Praxic Fire...pls Xur, pls.... I was hoping I'd get it from NF like a few here but alas, Monte Carlo instead. Still, best reward I've had from a NF haha

Just curious, why do you want to level up an exotic armor over the raid armor?

Tekku

Why would the The Last Word need a tweak?

I'm not completely sure if it does. It has a tricky stat balance. Sometimes I feel that the high rate of fire and damage modifiers aren't countered enough by things like a higher recoil.

It does have 8 bullets though and that's a big downside for a gun that fires so rapidly and inaccurate at range.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

Do you mean swapping out exotics during a mission? That's why I do, but it sucks because of the ammo penalty. Synthesis helps, but the 5 minute cool down is painful.

First time doing hard raid... Warlock helm + Timebreaker + Shotgun (duplicate)

Somehow with how my week is going, this is by far the best thing that's happened to me....

Bizazedo

I know, I'm sorry for you :(.

...or anyone could just go into the spirit bloom chest room and be 100% safe from anything while still attacking the center oracle.

Git gud, isn't trolling, it's the truth. It's crude, sure, but it's still the truth.

Locks are the squishiest and require finesse to play successfully in the heroic raid. More often than not, Sunbros use Radiance as a crutch for sloppy play.

People using it as a crutch / being sloppy doesn't eliminate how effective it is in the hands of more skilled players. That's like saying the Vex wasn't OP in PvP because we saw an incompetent barely get a 1.5 K/D with it.

Self-revive is an amazing ability when you can't revive normally. There's no way to get around it.

Again, although I'm sure people aren't reading, it's not saying the other classes don't have huge pluses. They do. It's just easier to justify stacking warlocks once you hit your minimum number of Titans and Hunters.

(This assumes fights are designed to use strengths of all three classes)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This. I would still be playing if there was no loot, just weapons that drop off enemies, like Halo. If the PvP just had loadouts and then drops off of other players, I'd still be playing PvP, heck that might actually be a better system. If you treat the game more like the fps that it is and less like an MMO, you will have more fun.
mhm, I really do think it's troublesome to try and compare to other games. I keep thinking about it. i don't know what game out there is the most like Destiny. on paper it's Borderlands, hell you're even questing for the Vault in both, but... lol, they feel nothing alike to me. completely different things are good about each. the most compelling answer I have seen so far is Hellgate: London, a game I've never actually played myself.
Why? You're shelling out 8 shots immediately instead of 3. That's a huge burst of damage. That's ignoring that a player should die after two huge hits at most. Three if they're overshielded / bladedancing, MAYBE? But probably two?

Aside from our opinions, though, why do you *know* it was a PvP nerf? Mythoclast is blatantly obvious, but PI?
we have no idea, but in PvE I found the recoil unmangeable after ~5 blasts (which you still sometimes get from the ammo reclaim feature), so unless your target had a massive hitbox, it just wasn't that practical. In PvP, the full mag was at least area denial to a whole room for substantially longer, and pretty no-skill when used that way.

you can still completely own with it in pvp anyway though. i don't actually have a good explanation for this nerf, although weirdly, the fast reload perk is what I want most to use the gun more effectively... if I had some other way of keeping it stable especially at range, I'd actually choose that.
Radiant Skin would be more useful if it reduced the entire fireteams incoming damage for its duration. It would be way better than Fireborn, and then we could make fun of all the selfish sunsingers that won't git gud.
that would... be far and away the best skill for pvp in the entire game. add in Radiant Will, high int, orb generation stuff... we'd enter silly territory and never come back. radiant skin is very effective as is.

*waves fist in jealous anger.... Hawkmoon....want

Ha, yeah, and I don't even really want it that much. How did I get it?? Heh heh. I was playing the NF and got disconnected. My teammates were nice enough to wait for me to rejoin before killing Sepiks. So I rejoin, it LITERALLY took one more bullet to bring him down and then we were done. Cue reward screen. Cue Hawkmoon. Cue extreme jealousy from one teammate who wants that gun more than anything else in the game.

What I've seen in HM is that Sunsingers tend to incorporate the second life into their gameplay. Where a Hunter or Titan would get low on health and then have to hustle for cover while asking for help, SunLocks tend to just eat the death then revive themselves.. which becomes a pretty bad habit which shows itself when players who main a SunLock are playing an alt of a different class.

Where Radiance's revive comes in handy is for the times, and we've all had them, when a mob teleports or spawns seemingly out of nowhere and 1 shots the SunLock unexpectedly. Where that would be a call for a wipe if it were a Hunter or Titan, the SunLock can revive and the attempt can be continued.

There's a genuine point though, in that having that Revive in pocket reduces the potential DPS output specifically because a SunLock would be hesitant to lose their super in the case of something going wrong. And everything in HM is so much more resilient that DPS is incredibly important.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you mean swapping out exotics during a mission? That's why I do, but it sucks because of the ammo penalty. Synthesis helps, but the 5 minute cool down is painful.
Yep. ALWAYS use all your ammo with your equipped weapon in that slot before doing the swap, then the penalty doesn't hit you at all.

Bizazedo

you can still completely own with it in pvp anyway though. i don't actually have a good explanation for this nerf, although weirdly, the fast reload perk is what I want most to use the gun more effectively... if I had some other way of keeping it stable especially at range, I'd actually choose that.
Pocket Infinity nerf is definitely one of the more out of left field ones since it didn't feel like there was a huge uproar about it.

nowai

I missed the bit about the heroic raid, a thousand apologies.

Haha, no need to apologize. I don't mind the debate.

The only thing that's bothersome is the Sunbro defense force when people haven't actually played the content in question.

As was said a few posts up, the original issue I brought up was Voidwalker > Sunbro for the heroic raid. You are far more effective against Praetorians and the hordes of goblins during the Gatekeeper fight if you are void.

Radiance is great and I love it on my lock, but for the heroic raid, it doesn't outclass Voidwalker.

ZangBa

that would... be far and away the best skill for pvp in the entire game. add in Radiant Will, high int, orb generation stuff... we'd enter silly territory and never come back. radiant skin is very effective as is.

I honestly couldn't care less about PvP balance. They could have these abilities work different in PvE and PvP, they just don't want to.

First you AFK when I join your fire team and now THIS?? What the hell, man?

Ha, but seriously I figured this would kind of be the answer. Yes, others in my team have the IB so I guess that's cool. I really need to find a legendary sniper rifle it would seem. Thanks for the thoughts.

I second "Final Boss". The thing has great stability, rate of fire, and hits like a freight train. I love to use it when ammo isn't an issue. PvP, most everything that doesn't have juggler or shielded Shanks. It's great for taking out the Sniper Hobgobblins during the Templar stage, plus I can still have my Suros equipped.

nowai

Yep. ALWAYS use all your ammo with your equipped weapon in that slot before doing the swap, then the penalty doesn't hit you at all.

Don't forget, you can always equip Ice Breaker, let it charge and then swap to another secondary.

Voilà, free ammo!

Dave_6

1890628_307160142824079_1144498365012642024_o.jpg

Finally lvl 30.

Congrats! I know most folks are sick of it, but I want that shader so bad. I've yet to finish the raid even on normal. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom