• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaiiri

Don't mean to sound awful, but the idea of a matchmaking raid does not appeal to me at all, the commitment required, in both skill and time for newer raiders may not work in that sort of setup, I can sort of see people abusing it too, the same way they currently do with strikes (yep i'm just going to hide somewhere safe and let you do the work).

I'd like to be proven wrong, so more people get to play through the raid, but for it to truly work they need to iron out the bugs raid currently has otherwise it could just end up a frustration fest

they just need to have a way to vote someone off or something of that nature. there are tons of mmo's out there already (WoW) that have a type of matchmaking system up that works pretty well.

but I agree with the people hiding somewhere. had a guy literally do nothing the entire strike yet strange coin at the end. nothing big but still annoying given he did absolutely nothing. I tried at least doing that "reporting" thing but that doesn't ever work. so ya...

Zakalwe

Banned
How would you do this? No matter what loadout/armor I use with my warlock, I can get melee killed just as easily in PVE. Doesn't stop me from bringing the invective. It's amazing

I don't have a Warlock, on my Titan I use Force Barrier and Ward of Dawn and War Machine.

I usually spec the ward with the overshield buff in pve (aside from raid for weapons of light). Then I can dance around the ward and jump inside whenever I need a shield refresh.

The bonus from my exotic helm blinds enemies in the ward so running inside when in danger makes it safer. Also means I can dump it on a spawn point and blind all enemies who spawn for easier kills.

Melee kill for faster reload of my shotgun and life saving Force Barrier.

Makes cqc incredibly fun.

My mates and I are planning on making a first attempt at the raid today. We only have 4 people all together though. Are there any PS4 gaffers that haven't already done the raid that would be up for trying it at around 4pm British time? We're looking for people that haven't done it before because we want to try and work everything out without guides or assistance from an experienced raider. Add/message me on PSN if you're interested (name is the same as here: SeriuzBiznus ).

Yu Narukami

Well let the 123,000 or so comments on the game so far be your guide. It's the most annoying, broken, wasted opportunity of a game ever but it's also hugely addictive and immensely fun to play (when it all works as it should.)

Despite the lackluster reviews I'd say it's my GOTY so far (not counting TLOU as I'd played it to death on the PS3)

If they can iron out all the obvious faults for Destiny 2.0 it'll be a joy to behold.

My advice: buy it now while the community is so active.

It's interesting because I was wondering why people in this OT and myself keep playing despite the flaws. My answer is, 90% of the time I'm having fun.

FrankT

Don't mean to sound awful, but the idea of a matchmaking raid does not appeal to me at all, the commitment required, in both skill and time for newer raiders may not work in that sort of setup, I can sort of see people abusing it too, the same way they currently do with strikes (yep i'm just going to hide somewhere safe and let you do the work).

I'd like to be proven wrong, so more people get to play through the raid, but for it to truly work they need to iron out the bugs raid currently has otherwise it could just end up a frustration fest

Not for raid but definite for Nightfall and weekly.

Got a few things from raid last night including the Vision of Confluence from Atheon. Really liking it and has replace my Suros. Just need to level it up. If it didn't have full AR as a perk I wouldn't consider it but yea. Now I can rock my Icebreaker as my exotic wep of choice.

Oh really?, thanks for the info!, I just tend to avoid using rocket launcher at all, as i've sat through a lot of wipes from multiple team members nuking themselves, so i figured you just couldnt shoot out of the shield.

I know you definitely can't use a rocket launcher when caught in the templars bubble however, that's 100% suicide.

Sure thing! Yeah, RLs are very risky, especially on hard mode if you aren't a Warlock. But careful users can do huge damage with them.

Yep, 100% true about the Templar's detain bubbles (and also Atheon's detain bubbles on hard mode for the "outside" team). For Templar, you can time a rocket correctly to hit right after the super takes down his shield but before the detain surrounds you. After that, better switch to something like a fusion or auto rifle! haha

kaiiri

It's interesting because I was wondering why people in this OT and myself keep playing despite the flaws. My answer is, 90% of the time I'm having fun.

was just going through some old episodes of podcast beyond and they were saying the same things ... you read all these negative posts about destiny and you 100% agree with all of them. yet... you can't wait to go home and play more of it for the rest of the day!

Nodnol

I'm not a raid vet, I haven't even completed it, but I have had a taste of the mechanics.

And in theory, MM is fine.

The reality is far far different. People keep saying "yeah but a group made up from Reddit, GAF or LFG is just the same as randoms through MM", but it really isn't.

99% of people on GAF will be legitimately looking to work with others to overcome the challenge. I'm not particularly familiar with Reddit or LFG's communities, but I'd imagine most will be similar in wanting to achieve the same goals.

With MM, you'll get all sorts of agendas, different levels of commitment etc, not to mention the problems we see in lobbies across multiple games. Music in the background? Check. Slurs? Check. Screaming down the mic? Check.

I have met some brilliant people online, entirely by accident, but the reality is you'll come across a whole spectrum of players and in the raid environment, I just can't see it being as successful as it should be.

You need everyone pulling in the same direction, and you simply cannot ensure that through MM to the point where I personally think it will harm the experience.

And that's coming from someone currently excluded from a proper raid experience because I haven't liaised with anyone in here well enough to organize anything.

Maybe I'm the exception, I don't know. I'm a grumpy 40 year old stuck in a 26 year old's body.

My mates and I are planning on making a first attempt at the raid today. We only have 4 people all together though. Are there any PS4 gaffers that haven't already done the raid that would be up for trying it at around 4pm British time? We're looking for people that haven't done it before because we want to try and work everything out without guides or assistance from an experienced raider. Add/message me on PSN if you're interested (name is the same as here: SeriuzBiznus ).

Yeah good luck with that.

I can't even imagine playing it without knowing what you have to accomplish at each phase.

TBH I always tend to follow the largest group when playing crucible. It makes perfect sense as you can attack en masse and even if you don't bag the kill you're always picking up assists. It can be rather selfish in a way but in my view I'm happy to use the guy in-front of me as a human shield, absorbing damage and taking off a bit of the opponents heath while I fire from behind him.

So IMO "Guardians stick together" really is the best strategy.

Oh, I agree entirely. Things just work so much better with a bit of teamwork involved, even if that means just grouping together.

And I do the same thing with the human shields also, hah.

Futaba

Yeah good luck with that.

I can't even imagine playing it without knowing what you have to accomplish at each phase.

256px-WipEout2097Cover.jpg

Suddenly this game's name makes more sense.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Dudes, I'm finding myself rather lucky with Strange Coins of late. I've stumbled my way into 19 of them. I didn't buy anything but synth kits from Xur last week, how much is his good shit again? Isn't it like 23 coins or something?

Thanks.

DjRalford

Dudes, I'm finding myself rather lucky with Strange Coins of late. I've stumbled my way into 19 of them. I didn't buy anything but synth kits from Xur last week, how much is his good shit again? Isn't it like 23 coins or something?

Thanks.

Been around 23 for weapons, 13 for armour

I agree with this. I've met enough cool people by now that I'm usually at least in a party chat if not a Fire team while playing, just talking shit about the game and having fun. I've got 16 raid clears but only had loot drops from... 5-6? Otherwise I'm just helping people out, playing for fun (did Nightfall 4 times yesterday on my only character). My friend's list is 90% Destiny people by now.

Nodnol

Thanks.

So far:

Armor: 13 coins.

Primary Weapon: 23 coins.

Heavy: 17 coins.

Edit: So far Xur's stock has included one armor piece for each class, one weapon, and then an exotic engram (costs 25(?) Motes of Light, always an exotic when decrypted but not necessarily for your class).

Horseticuffs

Sweet. Thanks guys. I'd have to see something pretty special to break me from my "Devil you know", "Epitaph", "Super Good Advice" combo. Maybe I'll check out his armor selections. I've got "Lucky Raspberry" which has been serving me well. I guess I could always buy some shit for an alt.

excowboy

Thanks to all those who replied to my post (#2670) - I'm thinking more positive about the whole thing now. I didn't really want to give it up as my friends and I have been trying to level up to hit the Vault of Glass for the first time, so it would be good to at least have a bash at it.

I'm going to stick to farming Vanguard marks. I'm going to do the bounties required and loiter for public events. I shall get there! RNGesus be damned. Anything that drops will be a bonus, not the focus.

Cheers all.

By the way, I've been on that destinypublicevents website which is supposed to tell you when the event is happening and where - I had it open on my phone whilst playing for a couple of nights and not once has it been correct. Is there a better way to know when and where a public event is about to occur?

That's the spirit! Great avatar btw :)

Such fun raiding last night with a fun crew. Had a blast, everyone keeping it fun but getting it done. Hard mode later this week!

Picked up a:

- Plan C fusion
- Atheon's Epilogue

It's kind of fun having a really nice assortment of exotics and legandary weapons to choose from. It's come down to taking a few moments to tune the weapons to fit the encounter whereas before it was just 'go with your obvious best' which might have been limited.

So far in addition to last nights stuff I managed to snag ice breaker, hard light, mythoclast, gjallorhorn, two different swarms (void and solar), shadow price plus the exotics Xur has been selling plus Thorn, Bad Juju and invective.

I really hope Bungie makes it easier to swap out weapons somehow, or allows more than one exotic weapon to be equipped. I doubt it, but it would be cool.

Nodnol

I have Vanguard marks to burn. Any suggestions?

Don't really need an auto rifle since I have Vanquisher. Thinkin about going with The Devil You Know.

Don't know about you but I'm prioritizing Legendary Specials and Heavies based on Elemental damage type, because I'm seriously short at times when it comes to dealing specific damage.

WITHE1982

Don't really need an auto rifle since I have Vanquisher. Thinkin about going with The Devil You Know.

Just buy stuff to break down if ass is needed.

...Although The Devil You Know is awesome. I personally hate hand cannons but used it exclusively for 3 days and loved it.

Skele7on

Banned
Bought it before work :D Such a pleasant start to my Wednesday.

damn damn damn, I accidently bought the wolf one and did an engram at the weekend.

I now need 13 motes asap, wish I could trade coins for motes I will have 35 by tonight :\

so so sad.

jaosobno

So, in a fit of rage over a poorly played team deathmatch, I deleted the game from my HDD last night.

No I'm waiting for the download, again. Should not have done that.

My team faced opposing team that was mostly fusion rifle/shotguns. Absolutely decimated us. Some fusion rifles have ridiculous range. Shotgun tactics was mostly; sprint-->slide-->1 hit kill. My aim was completely off, should have kept them at medium to far range.

I usually post decent KDR, but I seriously have to stop burdening myself with that fucking stat. Always ruins my fun.

Why am I telling this to you? Guess I'm just venting. Thx for listening, GAF.

hydruxo

Need to get 4 more motes for the wolf cloak. Guess I'm gonna run tiger strikes and hope Rahool blesses me with some from engrams.

Ambitious

So dumb how the PSN friend list shows in detail what friends are doing (e.g. Strikes, Patrol, Crucible) but the actual game does not.

WITHE1982

damn damn damn, I accidently bought the wolf one and did an engram at the weekend.

I now need 13 motes asap, wish I could trade coins for motes I will have 35 by tonight :\

so so sad.

35 is a good number to have though. Gives you 23 for a primary from Xur (if he had anything good) and will still leave you 12 for armor to break down.

Yu Narukami

So, in a fit of rage over a poorly played team deathmatch, I deleted the game from my HDD last night.

My team faced opposing team that was mostly fusion rifle/shotguns. Absolutely decimated us. Some fusion rifles have ridiculous range. Shotgun tactics was mostly; sprint-->slide-->1 hit kill. My aim was completely off, should have kept them at medium to far range.

I usually post decent KDR, but I seriously have to stop burdening myself with that fucking stat. Always ruins my fun.

My K/D is 0.6 and cry a little every night before sleeping.

Strider

So dumb how the PSN friend list shows in detail what friends are doing (e.g. Strikes, Patrol, Crucible) but the actual game does not.

hover over your friend on the roster and click the button for details? I can always see what activity my friends are doing from the in-game menu.

DjRalford

At least it was already digital, I actually went to bed one night enraged at Fifa, got up and stabbed multiple holes in the disk, yeah I have some anger issues, and went back to bed for a good night's sleep.

Next day I payed £40 to download it digitally.

Horseticuffs

I have both Devil you know and Light/beware.Both good guns.

Previously I'd never even picked up a hand cannon but they really seem to suit me. It's like a mini sniper rifle with a huge clip that reloads very quickly and is good when fired from the hip.

Fusion rifles are new to me also. It's a powerful w weapon to be sure. My only gripe is it is solar damage, as is my new Super Good Advice. I also just went gunslinger so I've got fucking solar damage out the wazoo, a void sniper, and absolutely no arc damage unless I switch to Blade Dancer.

WITHE1982

Lol.

I'm not as bad but I did almost snap my DS4 in half after a particularly bad match. Heard is begin to creak and stopped myself before a rather costly mistake.

I bet the wait for it downloading again is excruciating.

Oh and my K/D is just over 1.0 and I've over the moon about it. I normally have a - K/D in all FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom