• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flo_Evans

Don't happen to have a video of the spontaneous combustion in action do you? Still working mine up but couldn't find a video of it...

It doesn't do much...

Seems to only happen randomly and just looks like a solar shield a bit. Does a little AoE but not much.

The main thing on this gun is the ammo regen and high damage.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't think exotics ARE for the masses, as you call them. They should be for people who are willing to put in the effort to equip sufficiently enough to do the encounters where they can get the coins, OR have them drop randomly in the higher level strikes playlist.

You sure don't need to be 30 to solo the Nightfalls. I'm not 30.

Exotics are something to strive for, not a given and not everyone in the game will or should own one.

IMHO, of course. :)

IMHO your HO is ON POINT

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ya man, that's what I said a few posts ago.

They already make the Suros mistake.
Sometimes I can't tell with these comments if we're doing in-jokes at this point or what. I get that it's annoying to get killed by the SUROS Regime from 100 yards, but are the people complaining about this telling me that it wasn't happening to them with Shingen-Es and Galahad-Es and Silvered Hushwinds and Cydonia AR3s and Shadow Prices and Grim Citizens and so on and so on....

The idea that one gun could alter your experience so much compared to what came before is a riot to me. Since the Regime sale, I've won matches with Hawkmoon, I've won matches with Pocket Infinity, I've won matches with The Devil You Know and Plan C, hell I won matches using only 77 Wizard and never swapping weapons or popping my super. SUROS Regime is a wonderful auto rifle but if I get killed by it I know that person has nothing else up their sleeve in the Exotic slot. Furthermore all Auto Rifles are getting nerfed, including the Regime. Where am I going wrong?

It would be so broken if everyone had an Ice Breaker in PvE.
Meh. Then let's break it I say. If no one who possesses an Ice Breaker ever asks for help from me with anything in the game again, then I'd say you have a point.

Anyway, people seem to want ALL THE LOOTS. I know it's rad to have all the awesome guns, but people need to look at what it would do the game if everyone had the best guns.
This part I completely agree with, however I think the availability of a single Exotic weapon per week for purchase with a limited currency is just fine.
I don't think exotics ARE for the masses, as you call them. They should be for people who are willing to put in the effort to equip sufficiently enough to do the encounters where they can get the coins, OR have them drop randomly in the higher level strikes playlist.

Exotics are something to strive for, not a given and not everyone in the game will or should own one.

With consistent play, over time, they absolutely are intended for everyone. This is the entire premise of Xur's weekend sales. Building a collection of Exotics is a massive part of the game and it is not excepting casuals from this; it will simply take them longer.

hydruxo

Sometimes I can't tell with these comments if we're doing in-jokes at this point or what. I get that it's annoying to get killed by the SUROS Regime from 100 yards, but are the people complaining about this telling me that it wasn't happening to them with Shingen-Es and Galahad-Es and Silvered Hushwinds and Cydonia AR3s and Shadow Prices and Grim Citizens and so on and so on....

The idea that one gun could alter your experience so much compared to what came before is a riot to me. Since the Regime sale, I've won matches with Hawkmoon, I've won matches with Pocket Infinity, I've won matches with The Devil You Know and Plan C, hell I won matches using only 77 Wizard and never swapping weapons or popping my super. SUROS Regime is a wonderful auto rifle but if I get killed by it I know that person has nothing else up their sleeve in the Exotic slot. Furthermore all Auto Rifles are getting nerfed, including the Regime. Where am I going wrong?

Meh. Then let's break it I say. If no one who possesses and Ice Breaker ever asks for help from me with anything in the game again, then I'd say you have a point.

This part I completely agree with, however I think the availability of a single Exotic weapon per week for purchase with a limited currency is just fine.

With consistent play, over time, they absolutely are intended for everyone. This is the entire premise of Xur's weekend sales. Building a collection of Exotics is a massive part of the game and it is not excepting casuals from this; it will simply take them longer.

To be fair, AR's range will be nerfed, but Suros has a range upgrade perk anyways. So it likely won't even matter.

gatti-man

So its elitism. Well most people dont have exotics. Look at this thread with casual players complaining they dont have exotics or even legendaries. I think the game toes the line well in that if you are willing to put in time no matter what rng you have xur offers some relief.

You said well equipped which i meant to be a 29 or 30. Agreed you can solo anything but the raid in this game. That being said ita not fun. Its a grind to me. Which is the beauty of destiny. The co op and variety of things to do makes me feel like im never grinding even at 140 hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To be fair, AR's range will be nerfed, but Suros has a range upgrade perk anyways. So it likely won't even matter.
lol goddamnit.

i'll settle for them not being viable from sniper rifle range. please.
So its elitism. Well most people dont have exotics. Look at this thread with casual players complaining they dont have exotics or even legendaries. I think the game toes the line well in that if you are willing to put in time no matter what rng you have xur offers some relief.

You said well equipped which i meant to be a 29 or 30. Agreed you can solo anything but the raid in this game. That being said ita not fun. Its a grind to me. Which is the beauty of destiny. The co op and variety of things to do makes me feel like im never grinding even at 140 hours.
Word. There's a difficult balance. I don't think Exotics should be piss-easy to get, but you literally have in this thread, the 7th of its kind, people saying both that Exotics are too easy to get and it sucks that everyone will have them, and people complaining that they don't have any exotics. Just think about how tricky is for any design to be able to reconcile those two groups.

Flo_Evans

The suros "problem" seems overblown... I see them all the time but they are immediately recognizable by the sound. Its a good AR, but all AR's are pretty damn good vs everything else.

MADGAME

Bungie gives opportunities to obtain exotics through bounties as well, only 2 of which require a single strange coin. Certainly the best weapons aren't available via bounties at this though, but they are respectable and obtainable.

There is the prospect of Exotic Weapon Engrams. Haven't seen them yet but it's possible. Course your odds wouldn't be fantastic, but what are you gonna spend your motes on?

edit: Nightfall and Raid rewards are more likely to get it to you than a purple Engram anyway
Hmm, never thought about the engrams. Interesting.
If its any consolation, Monte Carlo isn't very good, I have one. It does look cool though.
Yeah I know it's not that great. Mainly want it because it looks cool as hell.
I got one in a raid chest.
Yeah that's a possibility too. It just seems like the RNG wants everyone but me to have a Monte Carlo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The suros "problem" seems overblown... I see them all the time but they are immediately recognizable by the sound. Its a good AR, but all AR's are pretty damn good vs everything else.
Ah yeah, that's exactly my point. I feel like the way I was complaining (in a tongue-in-cheek way, because I could still compete against them) about Shingen-Es before the sale is now how everybody complains about the Regime. But.. it's not like the Shingens went anywhere! And someone could be running a Shingen-E and Invective, Pocket Infinity or Gjallarhorn O_O. If I see or hear a SUROS Regime I know that can't be the case.
Once my favorite Strike, I've really come to dislike the Valus Ta'ouroc — or however your pronounce his name — strike.
Dude just has too much HP. The run up to him is easy and fun and I like the layout of the final room a lot, but he's just a total sponge.

gatti-man

I hope the nerf doesnt make suros op compared to other ARs. Suros is like the vanilla AR. I prefer shadow price or grim.

On that note im honestly fiending for more weapon and armor variety. I need more exotics amd legendaries. Especially new guns with a variety of sounds.

Unlimited ammo on the highest impact sniper is broken if everyone in the raid had it.

You can cheese any boss and you have no worry about using secondary ammo on trash mobs. My DPS increased tenfold when I instantly has zero worry about my ammo count.

That's great and all, but 5 ice breakers cannot kill Atheon in one portal like 5 gjallarhorns can. Highest single target DPS by about five hundred miles. It's pretty broken but it doesn't get enough attention because it's a heavy weapon.

Not elitism at all. Simply reward for effort.

Well equipped means armor with light stats, starting around 27. It means being able to play the tiger strike playlist. It doesn't mean someone who has raided.

The concept of reward for effort used to be a pretty grounded foundation of life, but I look all around me and see school kids all getting MVP trophies for just showing up at the same sporting event because they are all 'winners'. :)

NextGen

Just got shadow price AR and started to upgrade it. Then got Exotic bounty for bad JuJu, I see alot of hate for the JuJu but is it better than a Shadow Price?

LiK

AR/Shotty nerf doesn't affect me cuz I only shoot when people are near me anyway. I don't really snipe in PVP.

gatti-man

Bungie gives opportunities to obtain exotics through bounties as well, only 2 of which require a single strange coin. Certainly the best weapons aren't available via bounties at this though, but they are respectable and obtainable.

First those bounties take time and in some places skill. And some are garbage like good advice. I have that one and it sucks hard.

Once my favorite Strike, I've really come to dislike the Valus Ta'ouroc — or however your pronounce his name — strike.

I don't mind it unless it comes up three times in a row on the Tiger strike list - which it seems to a LOT. Only time I bail from one of those things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's great and all, but 5 ice breakers cannot kill Atheon in one portal like 5 gjallarhorns can. Highest single target DPS by about five hundred miles. It's pretty broken but it doesn't get enough attention because it's a heavy weapon.
I'm curious, do we consider this a bad thing? I think it's kind of awesome :X

Granted, I keep Gjallarhorn locked up for Atheon because our strategy seems to make rocket launchers... dangerous.

realcZk

Just got shadow price AR and started to upgrade it. Then got Exotic bounty for bad JuJu, I see alot of hate for the JuJu but is it better than a Shadow Price?

Nope, its pretty bad at the moment. Stick with your SP for now until we see how the buff is for the Juju.

I feel so out of the loop when I read this thread. I passed on SUROS, even though I had the coins, because it seemed boring and meh. I bought Red Death the second I saw it.

First those bounties take time and in some places skill. And some are garbage like good advice. I have that one and it sucks hard.

Not to mention the damn randomness of getting an exotic bounty. I've turned in over 100 throughout my Destiny...career? And never gotten an exotic bounty, whilst some people have gotten multiple repeats of bounties. Like, the fuck Bungie.

Interesting, is this the skill? Or is there another upgrade? It doesn't mention anything about reload speed, but I guess the speed effect just improves all animations? That plus Embrace the Void could make quick-reload Voidwalker builds a ton of fun. I'm putting it on my list along with Chain of Woe Gunslingers and War Machine Defenders as a viable gimmick Thorn build. :)

And yeah... if by "not top viable" you mean raid gear then no, it's not raid gear. You can't control the stats or mods that drop on you for raid gear and thus can't build around it (without working backwards). Eclipse Maw is from the Warlock vendor.

Feel free to add me; best thing to do is just watch this thread for me to ask for people to do it, I'll be home at about 7:30PM EST and might squeeze one in before raiding at 9. If you get people to help before that point then by all means go for it.

Yeah it's energy drain. I said first upgrade to energy drain but it's second my b.

As to what I meant by "top viable" it's quite simple: my auto correct. I meant to say too viable. I am focused on discipline and intelligence because sunbro super is for spamming grenades and with double grenade this makes spamming grenade pretty great. Combined with revival upgrade this makes them pretty damn useful for boss fights and keeping the team alive in dire situations.

Unfortunately all of the warlock armor that has upgrades for hand cannons are strictly for those that have strength instead of discipline. So it makes ammo an issue when I can't move around but not enough of an issue I have to go on suicide runs.

nowai

Suros talk

Don't get me wrong. I love my Suros in PvP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAGS3_AOTM

...but it's broken as hell.

You can think it's a "riot" all you want, but the reality of the matter is that a majority of Iron Banner matches are littered with Suros. Shingen-E is viable in normal Crucible, but in Iron Banner, the range, power and accuracy of Suros outclasses every weapon.

I wish they would nerf it, but I'm not going to artificially hamstring myself and NOT use it.

I would venture a guess that you don't use/have Suros or an Ice Breaker. If you did, you would see that everyone having access to these two guns breaks the system.

gatti-man

Not elitism at all. Simply reward for effort.

Well equipped means armor with light stats, starting around 27. It means being able to play the tiger strike playlist. It doesn't mean someone who has raided.

The concept of reward for effort used to be a pretty grounded foundation of life, but I look all around me and see school kids all getting MVP trophies for just showing up at the same sporting event because they are all 'winners'. :)

Oh come on. This is a video game. It needs to be accessible to the millions that bought it.

Id love to see someone thats not completely hardcore at 27 solo the night strike. No way. It would be a painstaking, soul crushing, teeth nashing experience for those with medium and less skill.

I'm curious, do we consider this a bad thing? I think it's kind of awesome :X

Granted, I keep Gjallarhorn locked up for Atheon because our strategy seems to make rocket launchers... dangerous.

I mean I think it's pretty hilarious, but it doesn't quite seem right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom