• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucis

Bounties and story missions. Don't bother with strikes. Just through bounties and the bare minimum I got one of my alts to 20 in under 5 hours. Unfortunately the queens quests are no longer available. That helped a ton.

Btw, you should try out the other classes before filling all 3 character slots with warlocks. I loved my hunter to death as my main, but after leveling my titan, I think I prefer the titan.

5 hours?
What? o.o do you just play it when there's bounty every day?

I am only 7 after 1h 35m =( i am guessing each level will be a lot longer after level 10.

I have no desire to level an alt actually, the only reason to do it is so I can actually play the game a bit more each week with a chance of some rewards.

...I don't think Exotics should be piss-easy to get, but you literally have in this thread, the 7th of its kind, people saying both that Exotics are too easy to get and it sucks that everyone will have them, and people complaining that they don't have any exotics. Just think about how tricky is for any design to be able to reconcile those two groups.
Though it's easy to complain that there are too many of them when you've got a brace of exotics in your inventory. As someone who has yet to land a single exotic weapon, I certainly don't want the chance to land one reduced, though I'm okay with the chances as they stand.

Oh come on. This is a video game. It needs to be accessible to the millions that bought it.

Id love to see someone thats not completely hardcore at 27 solo the night strike. No way. It would be a painstaking, soul crushing, teeth nashing experience for those with medium and less skill.

It's plenty accessible. I had no trouble accessing the game prior to getting into a position to be able to get exotics.

It ALSO needs to cater to end game minded players. That's why there are weapon types and encounters for everyone, including those who are willing to put in the extra effort.

We're not going to convince each other, most certainly, and I think we've both made our points.

MADGAME

First those bounties take time and in some places skill. And some are garbage like good advice. I have that one and it sucks hard.

Everything in the game takes time at least some skill, doesn't it?

How about Red Death, Hard Light, and probably some others? Those can't be obtained via bounties and I seem many grumblings or at least debates regarding their usefulness.

Brannon

Nightfall done.

In addition to that area under the platform, there is also the place where you enter the fight that you can retreat to if things get hairy.

Also before you jump down from there, above you and to the left is an area you can perch and see straight across to the platform you can hide under. It's not completely safe, but with two people there and one person under the platform, you can divide the attentions of the more explosively oriented enemies and hit the Archon Priest in the head while it hangs out near the platform. Just have to watch out for the occasional trio of shanks, vandal snipers in that two-layer cave, and the dropships that plop reaver captains from time to time (just retreat back, pick them off and continue).

Kalamari

Just got shadow price AR and started to upgrade it. Then got Exotic bounty for bad JuJu, I see alot of hate for the JuJu but is it better than a Shadow Price?

I have heard Bad Juju doesn't really come into it's own until the String of Curses upgrade.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I would venture a guess that you don't use/have Suros or an Ice Breaker. If you did, you would see that everyone having access to these two guns breaks the system.

When Ice Breaker goes on sale at Xur (I bet this week), all hell will break loose. Everyone will be using nothing but ice breaker.

Yeah it's energy drain. I said first upgrade to energy drain but it's second my b.

As to what I meant by "top viable" it's quite simple: my auto correct. I meant to say too viable. I am focused on discipline and intelligence because sunbro super is for spamming grenades and with double grenade this makes spamming grenade pretty great. Combined with revival upgrade this makes them pretty damn useful for boss fights and keeping the team alive in dire situations.

Unfortunately all of the warlock armor that has upgrades for hand cannons are strictly for those that have strength instead of discipline. So it makes ammo an issue when I can't move around but not enough of an issue I have to go on suicide runs.
Strength is big for a Sunbro because flame shield. I always try to max my strength because it allows me to be more aggressive.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would venture a guess that you don't use/have Suros or an Ice Breaker. If you did, you would see that everyone having access to these two guns breaks the system.
I do have the SUROS Regime and the range of all auto rifles outclasses every other weapon. As a weapon class it is literally competitive from Sniper to Shotgun range. Thus the upcoming nerf.

I'm not really talking about Iron Banner because I haven't played it yet. if I makes me go grab my Regime from the vault I will let you know.

Anyway I don't use it because I don't really like auto rifles. I use other guns and still win matches, artificial hamstrings and all. That's pretty much as far as I need to think about it.
Though it's easy to complain that there are too many of them when you've got a brace of exotics in your inventory. As someone who has yet to land a single exotic weapon, I certainly don't want the chance to land one reduced, though I'm okay with the chances as they stand.
This is exactly what I'm saying. As far as striking the balance I've described I think Destiny's done about as decent a job as possible with it.

I will say that anyone who has been playing since launch and doing bounties should have, by now, received their first Exotic Bounty. Bungie should just send one out to everyone who doesn't have that flag on their character.

nowai

5 hours?

I am only 7 after 1h 35m =( i am guessing each level will be a lot longer after level 10.

I have no desire to level an alt actually, the only reason to do it is so I can actually play the game a bit more each week with a chance of some rewards.

If you don't mind exploiting the rollover system, you can also do double bounties each day.

If you are logged on at 2am Pacific, you can grab an finish all the PvE bounties in about an hour and then log off. When you log back on, the bounties will be available again.

void666

Banned
Just got shadow price AR and started to upgrade it. Then got Exotic bounty for bad JuJu, I see alot of hate for the JuJu but is it better than a Shadow Price?

Everything is better than bad juju. Any blue AR is better than bad juju.
Bad juju is bad. I like the gun and i think it's fun to use. But it's useless unless you're shooting thrash mobs.

I have a fully upgraded Suros that I use plenty -- and i agree with you on this. But part of that is not just about ice breaker, but also that if everyone had a fully upgraded Gjallarhorn (which they could because xur sold it in week 2) the entire game would be a joke and every boss fight would be all players unloading 5 gjallarhorn rockets as quickly as possible.

nowai

I do have the SUROS Regime and the range of all auto rifles outclasses every other weapon. As a weapon class it is literally competitive from Sniper to Shotgun range. Thus the upcoming nerf.

I'm not really talking about Iron Banner because I haven't played it yet. if I makes me go grab my Regime from the vault I will let you know.

Anyway I don't use it because I don't really like auto rifles. I use other guns and still win matches, artificial hamstrings and all. That's pretty much as far as I need to think about it.

Ya man, I'm a hand cannon guy myself as well, but for PvP, I use Suros. Iron Banner is monster with a fully upgraded Suros.

I had a 5.0 k/d last night being lvl 29 with it. The gun is laughably broken.

darthbob

I feel so out of the loop when I read this thread. I passed on SUROS, even though I had the coins, because it seemed boring and meh. I bought Red Death the second I saw it.

I did the same thing because I pretty much detest Auto Rifles.

Oh well, guess I can't win at PvP anymore because I like Scout Rifles. -_-

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
5 hours?

Well, when I did it, I was also doing the Queens bounties. Two sets of PvE quests plus the story mode XP was pretty great. I didn't go from 1 to 20 in one sitting. I would log in, do the bounties that I can and the necessary story missions, then switch to another character. Next day I would do the same thing. It helps to know where you can go to efficiently complete the bounties, e.g., the kill 10 hive elites quest.

Strength is big for a Sunbro because flame shield. I always try to max my strength because it allows me to be more aggressive.
Depends on how you play. If you're going around close quarters to fight enemies on their face with shotgun then strength. If you plan to use it to keep away from enemies or against bosses then discipline is a must since most bosses have AoE attacks if you get too close and you'll do more damage spamming stuff like sticky grenades. You're one of the fee sunbros I've met with emphasis on strength. Do you do a lot of PvP? I stick with PvE.

Dreez

Yusssss got a Shadow Price. Now I can put Suros away and rock with my Patience & Time or Ice Breaker.

Edit: Patience & Time or Ice Breaker?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have a fully upgraded Suros that I use plenty -- and i agree with you on this. But part of that is not just about ice breaker, but also that if everyone had a fully upgraded Gjallarhorn (which they could because xur sold it in week 2) the entire game would be a joke and every boss fight would be all players unloading 5 gjallarhorn rockets as quickly as possible.
As far as I'm concerned the PvP and PvE halves of this discussion are totally separate. I don't think I can muster any complaints about people being able to quickly take down bosses in this game after they've been described to death as bullet sponges.

E92 M3

it's just like the Queens armor all over again. how does Bungie not come to the conclusion that these things will end up happening?

I've said it before and say it again: Bungie is so big now that small details and decisions get overlooked. Everything is operating on a conveyer belt.

darthbob

Scout rifles also getting buff in future.

give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

gatti-man

It's plenty accessible. I had no trouble accessing the game prior to getting into a position to be able to get exotics.

It ALSO needs to cater to end game minded players. That's why there are weapon types and encounters for everyone, including those who are willing to put in the extra effort.

We're not going to convince each other, most certainly, and I think we've both made our points.
I agree. Id say the end game is raid hard mode and iron banner for those end game players. And there are more raids to come.

my point is for those that lack the skill or time to do the end stuff xur is an outlet for those people to get nice gear. Its also an outlet for those people who have terrible rng luck. I had to beat the raid to roll my first exotic (besides good advice which sucks). I bought my first 3 legendaries.

I've been finding a few ghost fragments lately and came across this one with insight on the Cabal that I thought was kind of interesting and funny:

I have stayed with the Cabal, even as the Light in me dims - I have been too far from the Traveler for too long. If I am not destined to find my own Guardian, at least I can inform the City of what I've learned.

I thought Mars would be the place to find a Guardian. The sand preserves everything well, and Clovis Bray had been famous for attracting talent. The brave, the brilliant, the footloose, those restless on Earth and itching for fame. I stowed away aboard a Mars scout ship, hoping.

No luck. The sand ate everything. Clothes from skin, skin from bone. It was as if there were never any people here at all. I have been through every broken window in every building. Nothing. That is, no Guardian material. And no ride back to Earth. The scout was long gone.

What I did find, however, was a way into the Cabal Warbase. Their runty piggish eyes are too dull to see me, as long as I stay out of their defense systems. The Psions are a different matter: Too quick, too clever, throwing their minds around like hammers. I creep around walls, or dig into a heap of canisters and watch from there.

There is a vast Empire behind these creatures, many star systems away. Some pledge allegiance to that far Empire, obeying their ancient marching orders. Some do not. They disagree among themselves about the answers. I wish arguing Cabal on no one. They slam their plated bodies into each other with horrendous roars. Intelligence gathering has never been so painful.

Just rekindles my wish that they could have included some of this stuff in the game. I'm dying for some real characters. Where's this game's Prophet of Truth or Arbiter? I want to know more about these species and, considering how much info there is on them in the Grimoire, I'm not convinced they were intentionally trying to make them mysterious. There should have been moments during the story missions where you could walk around a corner in the Cabal base and see this exact scenario going on while your Ghost roughly translates what they're arguing about if you chose not to interrupt immediately.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah it's energy drain. I said first upgrade to energy drain but it's second my b.

As to what I meant by "top viable" it's quite simple: my auto correct. I meant to say too viable. I am focused on discipline and intelligence because sunbro super is for spamming grenades and with double grenade this makes spamming grenade pretty great. Combined with revival upgrade this makes them pretty damn useful for boss fights and keeping the team alive in dire situations.

Unfortunately all of the warlock armor that has upgrades for hand cannons are strictly for those that have strength instead of discipline. So it makes ammo an issue when I can't move around but not enough of an issue I have to go on suicide runs.
Eclpise Maw is Dis/Str (no Int), but I hear you. I don't know, I'm really torn on how important the stat values on armor even are. The mods could really be worth the tradeoff depending on build.

That double-grenade Radiance though, yowee

Flame Shield is when Sunsinger clicked for me. So... goddamn... good.

Namikaze1

Somehow I fully upgraded both Raid pieces in mere hours. Now I just need the boots and I shall be legend!

I'll just be 30, alright!

Zakalwe

Banned
I wonder why pulse rifles haven't been mentioned in balance talk from Bungie. You think that balancing the other weapons will bring them in line?

Right now I never feel threatened by a pulse whatever weapon I take. Maybe just because they're rare to see in pvp...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

this will be a good day
Yes! Want!
The strangers rifle is a better gun than that piece of shit.
In PvP, i've seen dudes clean up with the stranger's rifle. I've never been killed by Bad Juju in PvP. even once.
I wonder why pulse rifles haven't been mentioned in balance talk from Bungie. You think that balancing the other weapons will bring them in line?

Right now I never feel threatened by a pulse whatever weapon I take. Maybe just because they're rare to see in pvp...
I don't know about Red Death, but I've seen Strange Suspect absolutely run the table in Rumble before.

I would love to know how often pulse rifles are used in PVP, I never see them as well.

Sullichin

Pulse rifles are just fine in PVP. I don't know why I don't see them more (other than the red death recently)

That's great and all, but 5 ice breakers cannot kill Atheon in one portal like 5 gjallarhorns can. Highest single target DPS by about five hundred miles. It's pretty broken but it doesn't get enough attention because it's a heavy weapon.

I'm not sure. Gjallarhorn does how much damage per rocket? 10K on initial then 1k each secondary and there's 6 or so secondary explosions?

Fully upgraded Ice Breaker can crit for around 12k and can get off maybe 7-8 shots in burn phase, maybe more.

So say Gjallarhorn has 7 secondary explosions. That's approx 17k damage per shot. How many can one person get off per phase? 3 shots or so? 51k Damage per person for 255k Damage in a single phase. Up it to 4 shots and you get 340k Damage in a single phase.

Ice Breaker, assuming all crits at 7 shots is approximately 84k per person for 420k Damage in a single phase. At 8 shots you get 480k Damage in a single phase.

These numbers aren't empirical but Ice Breaker, due to it's ability to crit and it's much faster fire rate has the higher damage potential. Gjallarhorn does incredibly well though and as long as you're not using the center platform strat, is pretty dependable.

I would love to know how often pulse rifles are used in PVP, I never see them as well.

I use them all the time. I don't like the stability on AR's and I don't think scout rifles hit hard enough for how accurate you need to be. AR's are definitely better though as long as it fits your play style.

chud

Banned
dat title

brilliant!

In game related news, I've lost all motivation now I've hit lv26 and still not had a Legendary weapon drop in 20 hours since reaching it.

Psh, I've gone a week and a half without a legendary drop. Then as I was finishing up last night I got an exotic weapon bounty. I then found out the one I picked, bad juju, sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom