• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Mindlog

efgxrd2.jpg

My brick.
Made it fairly easy for me to spot :]

Burning Shrine is probably still my favorite map, but I also like Black Shield. Was hoping for that one.

darthbob

Switched to top of the page brick.
4fNMZx9.png

Made it fairly easy for me to spot :]

Burning Shrine is probably still my favorite map, but I also like Black Shield. Was hoping for that one.

Have always wondered why they decided to do that to that emblem.

Like, did someone forget to make the background transparent?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Stupid bottom of the page!!!!

Freakin level 31 character in my IB match using 242 damage blue guns getting kills.
Completely immune to damage himself just floating around the match.

Ridiculous

Debating if I should go out to the city to pick up MGSV. Take a break from the Destiny life for two weeks.

I did this very thing. Lats night was the first night since Destiny's release that I did not log in. It was tough. but I think Im going to see if I can just not play for two weeks.

I agree with you, but it's more complicated than all that. Loot preferences and loot quality are directly impacted by loot drop frequency.

What concerns me is that with fewer drops, they have to be better drops. Fewer drops, by default, means that each drop is worth more. Playing the vanilla game and levelling up is a good example of this. Good drops are rare. You can use this fun white pulse rifle that got you to level 6 but is now way outclassed by this sucky blue hand cannon with only 4 rounds with an attack level that's actually going to kill something. I had to use that awful hand cannon for a long time before I could get a fun replacement. Each drop mattering, doesn't mean each drop is useful or fun. Infusions help with this, but that's only for leveling, not end-game.

For all gear now, there's a new "smart" RNG system, but it can't compete with reforging. Reforging allowed people to create weapon perk combos that broke the balance of the game, so it had to go. Understandable. They've done one thing to replace this, which is infusions, but again infusions are really only for leveling, not end-game.

So there's a "smart" loot system, but how do I tell it I want High-Impact Pulse Rifles, my favorite style of gun? Smart Loot probably only cares about getting me a legendary in each slot, not that they line up with my preferences or that they have good perks.Before, I could wait until I get a gun class/archetype I like, then re-roll to make it good. With 2.0, I have to wait to get one, then just hope it's good. It could be a long time before I can get another. Smart Loot and Arms Day can change preferences too, by not just giving you what you want, and that's a good thing. But it also sucks to be denied what you want behind RNG and weekly waits.

Another point is that perk variety is increasing, as is specialization. Now there are perks for each kind of burn. They want all the stats to matter too. This is a good change in my eyes, but that requires lots of gear, and therefore lots of drops. Or they tone down the drop frequency so much and don't want to *force* you to get all the gear, so the perks and stats don't really matter.

They've talked a lot about having control over your level. That's great, but really we need to have control over our loot too, especially our weapons. Control over your level only matters how big the number that shows on your screen is, mostly for the Hard Raid and IB/Trials. Otherwise, level doesn't mean anything practically. My guns, however, are the game I play.

Turning down the number of drops, by the very fact that there are fewer of them, makes each one matter more. It doesn't increase the quality. It doesn't include your preferences. The old system meant that if you got an Dr. NOPE, it was a groan, but you'd shard it and move on. The new system means DR. NOPE could be the only primary legendary you have for a while.

I'm actually on board with all these changes. I just don't want to be stuck with a Dr. Nope again.

I think there's an aspect to their thinking that involves, for good or ill, a sense of "you like high impact pulse rifles? Ok, cool, but try this thing out for a little while. Trust us."

And the way that's working is not that they're shoving the same new status quo on everyone, but that there's a randomness to it. Banshee is working the same way. "You want something cool? Go out and actually use this weapon you may have had no interest in. Trust us. See how fun it is."

I think they want the preferences you have to come after you find a gun you love. Not you rooting through RNG and drops and rewards to find the needle in the hay.

Now, of course, the onus is on them to make every GUN matter too. A very tall order.

Can everyone agree to have 100 posts per page displayed so we stop getting fake top of page and bottom of the page. I think its been most universally adopted already. juyst want to make sure everyone is on the same page, pun
or not
intended

ocean

Banned
I'm solo at the Nexus on Weekly 32. Can someone come help? I'd appreciate it, this takes too long alone.

A_javierp on PSN, fireteam open just join

Can everyone agree to have 100 posts per page displayed so we stop getting fake top of page and bottom of the page. I think its been most universally adopted already. juyst want to make sure everyone is on the same page, pun
or not
intended
50 page lyfe.

I would do 100 myself if it wasn't a pain to scroll through on mobile. The top of the page thing can work for both if people really wanted to do it. The new pages that start on 51 is the middle for those on 100 page setting.

onstSCR.gif

ich00

efgxrd2.jpg

Can you spot yours? :p

Just a small taste of what's to come.

I see mine!

don't know, I'm not feeling great

thoughts on this?

pretty much ready to abandon the entire thing in a heartbeat. I feel this is a dramatic misinterpretation of the purpose and effect of the site but barely even care about that if it's going to be perceived so negatively.

I personally think it's a useful tool if used properly: scheduling events a few hours, not in say 30 minutes(which I've already seen people do). It also serves a nice purpose of setting up a group later in the day, and keeping track of exactly who is in that group.

I don't see anything wrong with creating a future event on the site and posting it here for all to see. For people who have a hard time filling fireteams it potentially eliminates the need to look on LFG or Reddit to fill out a fireteam.

I think it's been said: the site isn't for everyone. So why not provide it for the people who can use it?

ocean

Banned
Big thanks to Falifax and Flocky!!! Both had already done the weekly and stepped in to help regardless :)

You guys the best.

I think there's an aspect to their thinking that involves, for good or ill, a sense of "you like high impact pulse rifles? Ok, cool, but try this thing out for a little while. Trust us."

And the way that's working is not that they're shoving the same new status quo on everyone, but that there's a randomness to it. Banshee is working the same way. "You want something cool? Go out and actually use this weapon you may have had no interest in. Trust us. See how fun it is."

I think they want the preferences you have to come after you find a gun you love. Not you rooting through RNG and drops and rewards to find the needle in the hay.

Now, of course, the onus is on them to make every GUN matter too. A very tall order.

Yeah. I tried to touch on that. I've actually used and enjoyed certain archetypes of all four primaries. But there are definite duds in every weapon class (mostly Low Impact guns). Make every GUN matter. No Dr. Nopes!

Also, Xbox One Taken King Achievements are out:

xbox-taken-king-achievements.png

No real spoilers beyond some mission names.

darthbob

Yeah. I tried to touch on that. I've actually used and enjoyed certain archetypes of all four primaries. But there are definite duds in every weapon class (mostly Low Impact guns). Make every GUN matter. No Dr. Nopes!

Also, Xbox One Taken King Achievements are out:

Nice. Nothing overtly difficult, like Flawless Raider... fuck

I'm thinking about risking divorce and buying the Sony Gold Wireless Headset on my way home. Do people here use them? Is it worth it? I have a 7.1 system connected to my TV but to use it at anything close to a high volume causes my dogs to freak out so I'm hoping these will let me actually hear the games the way they're supposed to be heard.

Any impressions would be appreciated!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
why not provide it for the people who can use it?
seeing as it's not something I have any need to use myself this was my approach the entire time I was trying to work out the best implementation for it. but if it's going to create the wrong impression then it could be a net negative for the community.

I know the benefits of setting up groups well in advance from the form setup I use for newbie raids. It has been very helpful for me in keeping things organized and so it may be easier for me to understand why some might want to use a similar system. It's not meant to replace the threads for group formation, it's not exclusionary, it's not a be-all-end-all solution for grouping in any way. It does have benefits for players who have had issues following the thread or successfully getting groups in it in the past, or anyone who would prefer to schedule a group for something hours or days beforehand, and should have no impact at all on those that don't wish to use it.

but again if it's going to create perceptual issues that are that deep I barely care. It's not worth it :-/

I'm thinking about risking divorce and buying the Sony Gold Wireless Headset on my way home. Do people here use them? Is it worth it? I have a 7.1 system connected to my TV but to use it at anything close to a high volume causes my dogs to freak out so I'm hoping these will let me actually hear the games the way they're supposed to be heard.

Any impressions would be appreciated!

I don't have them, but I've heard nothing but good things. As far as "on the way home", bear in mind that Amazon has them like $25 off sticker price.

But my marriage has been vastly improved by buying a good headset. Keeps me from disturbing my wife, and now my baby. Highly recommended!

Top Bottom