• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Axoman

I really hope there is a way to grind legendary marks if one chooses to do so.

That's really my only beef so far with the Taken King changes.

Other than dismantling gear, if all your legendary marks come from daily/weekly activities, regardless of what Bungie says, that's a cap.

Only the high level vanguard strike with random modifiers (Ursa) will give marks. Omnigul - no burn with lightswitch and Angry for 5 marks anyone?

Has Bungie come out and said this? Or are you referring to the Game Informer article?

Bungie has specifically listed activities that will give legendary marks and they were all gated by daily/weekly activities.

OK.

Vanguard: 2497/2500
Crucible: 2499/2500
New Monarchy: 2495/2500

25,000 Glimmer
200 Vanguard marks
200 Crucible marks

A building stash of Daily Public Event packages

3505 Grimoire

Am I ready for TTK? Anything I'm missing?

I am only doing this on one character. My other two will have to come up more "organically." I will need this DLC to last a little longer than the previous two (and vanilla Destiny for that matter).

GlamFM

Banned
GlamFM is on vacation in beautiful spain.

QQ, I'll be back on patch day - how can I force my PS4 to download the Patch while I'm gone?

Left it in Rest-Mode.

ocean

Banned
Drop rates are being upped but there's no chance it will be a legendary a match. For all the QoL changes there still has to be a gate to progression and marks is going to be it, by the amount you can hold and earn, imo
The problem with this is that for the first time, the game will sort of expect players to commit to a daily routine. A weekly routine was a lot more flexible.

Now, keeping up will require you to do the Daily Story and Daily PvP mode every single day so you can keep earning marks. For people who can only play during weekends, this is a major setback. No longer can they catch up with a few hours of PvP.

I hope it's all a misunderstanding. The system as I currently understand it would be vanilla levels of unfriendly and grindy.

Stuff costs 100+ marks. Until we get actual values for things, it seems like it's going to be a bitch.

Not all stuff

There is a range based on what you are trying to get with Year 2 exotics being the most expensive

You guys just want it all RIGHT now dont you?

So every heavy ammo cycle when playing with team that is on the ball with blocking heavy ammo from enemy?

Am I only one who isn't über hyped to have swords?

Edit:

All those sweet codes :/ "Hey, here XP booster. You just need live in US!"
When I'm on the giving end, it'll be fun. A good counter would be a well placed super once the heavy is stolen (no different then now).

Are there any people looking to run the raid at launch? Trying to get an idea of how many people are going to try for a world first.

Is there a specific time when the raid is releasing on Friday? I've had work shit all morning (read: the meeting I rescheduled during from the time of the stream yesterday. No, I don't want to talk about my addiction right now) and haven't been keeping up.

border

Is there a recommended class or spec for playing Salvage?

I'm trying to do it just for the Trophy, and it's actually a bit of a challenge to capture Relics. Seems like Defender would be best though.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Not all stuff

There is a range based on what you are trying to get with Year 2 exotics being the most expensive

It's not about getting everything right now, it's about the process to get marks and the amount they give out.

I hope it's all a misunderstanding. The system as I currently understand it would be vanilla levels of unfriendly and grindy.

This.

I'm trying to do it just for the Trophy, and it's actually a bit of a challenge to capture Relics. Seems like Defender would be best though.

No matter what the trophy description says, you only need to deploy 20 probes, not capture 20 relics.

Is there a specific time when the raid is releasing on Friday? I've had work shit all morning (read: the meeting I rescheduled during from the time of the stream yesterday. No, I don't want to talk about my addiction right now) and haven't been keeping up.
10 AM Pacific.

FyreWulff

trophy only applies to deploys.

for captures, Defender can help. Generally what you should do is once the probe is out, spread around it a bit. There's no benefit to staying right on the probe, cut off the enemy as they come in.

GutZ31

Which is why I said we'll find out. I bet you don't move very quickly while blocking, and you certainly won't survive 2 rockets (but you'll piss off the guy that had to shoot 2 rockets at you).
Yeah, having a shield with a party never saved anyone.
I mean, it's not like you could have a few guys with shields, and a few with rockets and HMG's standing behind them to wreck shop.
I mean that would be totally OP.
/s

riotshields1.jpg

It's not about getting everything right now, it's about the process to get marks and the amount they give out.

This.

But dude

The current system is basically useless... If anything its an improvement and legendary marks arent MEANT to be a crutch to grind for

THe majority of gear and items you are encouraged to get by PLAYING the game. Hence the new Loot system and increased drop rate

It cancels out and makes Marks WAY more valuable than the are now

#dontbeamarkslave

The devs even went OUT of their way to emphasize that marks arent mean to be the primary means of progression

For the trophy/achievement, you only need to deploy the probe, not capture the relic. So it's easier than you think.

But dude

The current system is basically useless... If anything its an improvement and legendary marks arent MEANT to be a crutch to grind for

THe majority of gear and items you are encouraged to get by PLAYING the game. Hence the new Loot system and increased drop rate

It cancels out and makes Marks WAY more valuable than the are now

#dontbeamarkslave

The devs even went OUT of their way to emphasize that marks arent mean to be the primary means of progression

But...all the year 2 exotics on that blueprint thing cost 125 marks each... That alone is a hell of a grind going from what we understand of the system. Hopefully there's something we are missing.

Anastasis

Bungie totally messed up the raid's launch date. Should have been September 23rd. It's the first day of Fall.

Destiny |OT30| This Autumn, King's Fall

OK.

Vanguard: 2497/2500
Crucible: 2499/2500
New Monarchy: 2495/2500

25,000 Glimmer
200 Vanguard marks
200 Crucible marks

A building stash of Daily Public Event packages

3505 Grimoire

Am I ready for TTK? Anything I'm missing?

I am only doing this on one character. My other two will have to come up more "organically." I will need this DLC to last a little longer than the previous two (and vanilla Destiny for that matter).

You could store a couple Cryptarch packages; I believe they decode into engrams when you open them so if you wait until after TTK drops, you will get TTK items.

I'm going to edge a faction or two on my other characters so I can increase my chances for a Year 2 legendary scout rifle right away.

Other than that, I'm with you - the organic experience is more what I'm into. I'm not even storing Public Event packages.

Deku Tree

People we have no idea how many legendary marks are going to be given out from different activities! But we know it is higher than it was before...

We saw that a story mission gave out 20 legendary marks for completion in one of the videos. There are eight story missions in TTK, and you have three characters, and then afterwards there is "Act II The Taken War" which we know very little about.

Eight times Twenty times 3 = 480 legendary marks just from completing the Act 1 story! You better spend them after you get close to 200 though!

But...all the year 2 exotics on that blueprint thing cost 125 marks each... That alone is a hell of a grind going from what we understand of the system. Hopefully there's something we are missing.

Ok so they should just be given away?

They have to gate some content to encourage the use of other guns. Build your collection casually as you play

You know you are gonna put in the hours either way

Plus I imagine year 2 exotics will also be droppable items as well so as you play you might be able to save those marks for something else

purg3

slept with Malkin

Exactly, I don't think the other dude is getting what we are saying. But then, none of us will know for sure until we start playing and see how and the amounts they are accumulated at.

Definity

Enjoyed the stream yesterday. Sword looked cool. Wonder how many hoops bungie will make you jump through on a quest line to get an exotic one?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Legendary Marks discussion:

What about the cryptarch selling legendary engrams? Does anyone know what those will cost?

Or does that not work because he decodes them as you purchase them?

Exactly, I don't think the other dude is getting what we are saying. But then, none of us will know for sure until we start playing and see how and the amounts they are accumulated at.

No i get what you are saying and I am saying you are looking at your future play sessions in the wrong light

Sure it seems grindy if your priority is get all this shit as fast as possible..

My priorities are going to be elsewhere

Legendary Marks discussion:

What about the cryptarch selling legendary engrams? Does anyone know what those will cost?

Or does that not work because he decodes them as you purchase them?

during the Deej video, last month at the time, those Legendary Engrams were priced the same as vendor Legendary weapons which I find odd because you are playing roulette with so many Marks.

Yesterday I learned the hard way the BS of Varyk's Special Package when you give a Weapon Core + Armor Core yet just to receive an ordinary chest armor that you could have gotten with just with an Armor Core on a week that Chest armors are available

I won't be buying any Legendary Engrams at all, I still don't trust the RNG

Raybunny

Indeed! Mark Noseworthy tweeted that staying in the Vanguard strikes playlist will generate a streak bonus for better gear AND extra rep.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/638549950826086400[/tweet]

Sweet! Only 4 more to go! Haha!

Ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm not worried about marks at all. All the best weapons in HoW were gained from the grind anyway. It sounds like Bungie is going even further down that road.

I'm going to just play the new content and expect rewards to follow.

The fact that there is no weekly limit to marks implies you will be able to get lots of them. Though that may be wishful thinking.

ocean

Banned
Not all stuff

Currently, your only Mark expenses are an armor set per character and maybe a weapon or two. Despite this, you can earn up to 600 Marks in a week, and hoard 1,200 at any given time.

With TTK, we'll need a complete overhaul of our inventories. No ascending the old VoG. We need new scouts, auto rifles, snipers, everything.

Critically: we'll need more vendor armor than ever. Solar buff chest? 75 Marks for New Monarchy. You'll need 150 Marks after that for the Void and Arc variants from the other vendors. And that's per each character.

Year 1 Exotics getting a Year 2 upgrade? Yeah, 120 Marks each. I think you get the point.

Now that we'll have stuff to actually spend marks on for the first time in nearly a year, our wallet size is cut to 1/6 of what it currently is. Moreover, it's been suggested that optimal gains will require playing every single day.

120 Marks for an Exotic Helm that got year 2'd
225 Marks for Gauntlets, Chest and Legs
X3 Characters: 1,035 Marks
Add another 450 for the other two elemental chests on each character.

That's 1,485 for a full armor setup on your characters. You still haven't bought a single weapon. You haven't gotten any other upgraded Year 1 Exotics aside from a helm for each toon.

We don't know how much the Daily Story and Daily PvP will pay out, but it sounds like it'll take a crazy long time before we feel comfortable with our setups. Not because we need to tackle harder content or get better or level up or whatever. Just because grinding the required marks will take time.

Right now I could just grab a Sunday and get all my marks. With the system as I understand it, if I only play once or twice a week I won't have this opportunity to catch up - I'll have missed the Daily PvP and Daily Story missions that pay out these marks.

What's frustrating is that they play this game. They know this will be a ridiculous grind. And I get that they don't want us to rush through things and buy all our stuff quickly. But gating stuff behind one-time daily events? Poor choice. We won't be too affected by it, but more casual players will take a lifetime to buy all the stuff they need.

I think this is a kickback to our reaching level cap on day 1 of HoW, but they've really over compensated.

Again, I hope I'm 100% mistaken and I can quote myself in two weeks and say "I'm such an idiot! How could I think that?", in case these daily Mark payouts are super generous or something. We'll see.

during the Deej video, last month at the time, those Legendary Engrams were priced the same as vendor Legendary weapons which I find odd because you are playing roulette with so many Marks.

Yesterday I learned the hard way the BS of Varyk's Special Package when you give a Weapon Core + Armor Core yet just to receive an ordinary chest armor that you could have gotten with just with an Armor Core on a week that Chest armors are available

I won't be buying any Legendary Engrams at all, I still don't trust the RNG

Well they say the RNG is going to be less likely to drop duplicates but I imagine the initial flow of marks are going to be spent on year 2 exotics and guaranteed options like Faction armor

Either way its very clear that they want you to progress through drops and spend marks as you get them

Also the cryptarh packages VARY based on the type of engram you are buying from what I can tell. They arent ALL 65 marks a piece

I'm going to be making the plunge and getting the digital collector edition tomorrow (I will get the new emotes for sure: unless Bungie's emote pack contain a new emote . ., te new armor that helps leveling, the new shader). I bought a PSN card that saved me $10 so I will use that extra $10 to pay for the additional content that I want.

Any recommendation for ciders to drink for raid night?

Currently, your only Mark expenses are an armor set per character and maybe a weapon or two. Despite this, you can earn up to 600 Marks in a week, and hoard 1,200 at any given time.

With TTK, we'll need a complete overhaul of our inventories. No ascending the old VoG. We need new scouts, auto rifles, snipers, everything.

Critically: we'll need more vendor armor than ever. Solar buff chest? 75 Marks for New Monarchy. You'll need 150 Marks after that for the Void and Arc variants from the other vendors. And that's per each character.

Year 1 Exotics getting a Year 2 upgrade? Yeah, 120 Marks each. I think you get the point.

Now that we'll have stuff to actually spend marks on for the first time in nearly a year, our wallet size is cut to 1/6 of what it currently is. Moreover, it's been suggested that optimal gains will require playing every single day.

That's 1,485 for a full armor setup on your characters. You still haven't bought a single weapon. You haven't gotten any other upgraded Year 1 Exotics aside from a helm for each toon.

We don't know how much the Daily Story and Daily PvP will pay out, but it sounds like it'll take a crazy long time before we feel comfortable with our setups. Not because we need to tackle harder content or get better or level up or whatever. Just because grinding the required marks will take time.

Right now I could just grab a Sunday and get all my marks. With the system as I understand it, if I only play once or twice a week I won't have this opportunity to catch up - I'll have missed the Daily PvP and Daily Story missions that pay out these marks.

What's frustrating is that they play this game. They know this will be a ridiculous grind. And I get that they don't want us to rush through things and buy all our stuff quickly. But gating stuff behind one-time daily events? Poor choice. We won't be too affected by it, but more casual players will take a lifetime to buy all the stuff they need.

I think this is a kickback to our reaching level cap on day 1 of HoW, but they've really over compensated.

Again, I hope I'm 100% mistaken and I can quote myself in two weeks and say "I'm such an idiot! How could I think that?", in case these daily Mark payouts are super generous or something. We'll see.

Dude you keep talking like Marks are the only means to progress

Forget the marks. Spend em as you get em. Focus on the rewards from playing the game. Use the new stuff

Do the Armsday, Get srtike specific gear, do Court of Oryk and the whatever else! Get Free Guarateed LEGENDARY drops from Faction packages

Are you gonna be so focused on the Mark Grind that you forget to the play the new game?

HMD

I'm just so excited to do King's Fall the moment it's up, gonna need to grind for some 280 light level legendaries, I'm only gonna focus on levelling 1 character the first 3 days.

For what it's worth, auto rifles aren't great right now in crucible and Pulse Rifles are probably the way to go (strangers rifle or AllFate). This may change with the weapons patch on Tuesday though.

I'm using the Pest Control Matrix, and it's been doing the job nicely. I like Pulse Rifles, too, but the ones I have are rather weak.

I don't think I will be grinding for armor buff for PVE. Even with nightfall type benefits (unless the new raid will have nightfall elements, Void King's Fall, Solar, etc.). Once I get one set that will take me to max level I will be good until I get sets that I want for aesthetics.

I know I am going to want the PS exclusive armor, the new Trials armor, and a raid set. I will more than likely end up dismantling the raid set once I get the new Trials armor.

I actually have the Tower reveal stream up now. Here are the prices of what was shown.

Legendary Class Item (from Speaker) - 60 marks
Blue Ghost shell (from Speaker) - 820 glimmer
Legendary Head (from NM) - Rank 2, 120 marks
Legendary Chest (from NM) - Rank 2, 75 marks
Legendary Primary (from NM) - Rank 3, 150 marks
Legendary Special (from NM) - Rank 3, 150 marks
Legendary Heavy (from NM, Crucible Handler) - Rank 3, 150 marks

Exotic Year 2.0 Primary Weapon (from blueprint) - Level 40, 150 marks
Exotic Year 2.0 Helmet (from blueprint) - Leve 40, 125 marks

So yeah, we're not going to be re-buying all our Year 1 exotics and legendaries week 1. But Luke was emphatic that they want us to find gear from playing Destiny. They said they're leaning into the fact that Destiny is a loot game. So there are more slots, and there are going to be more and better drops.

The Marks and the Tower are there if there's something specific you want or RNG, even with Smart Loot 2.0, won't give you a specific piece.

SpecX

Good thing I got my order in, I noticed the PS4 TTK bundle is no longer avaliable. Anyone with ordering experience from Amazon know if FedEx/UPS will hold the package at their station for you to pickup and what they need to allow you to pickup?

ocean

Banned
Dude you keep talking like Marks are the only means to progress

Forget the marks. Spend em as you get em. Focus on the rewards from playing the game. Use the new stuff

Do the Armsday

Are you gonna be so focused on the Mark Grind that you forget to the play the new game?
I really hope you're not suggesting I ignore marks and rely on RNG drops for my armor upgrades. That's loot-cave thinking. I want armor that suits my play style, not magical wishing that a faction package drops something with HC reload and the stats I want. No, I wanna see who sells it and go buy it.

Vendors are the only means of non-random progression in the game. The saving grace. With the current system, I know I can win a dozen matches and go buy some Gauntlets at a vendor. I can do those dozen matches over the course of a few days or in one sitting, whatever I feel like.

Daily gating means getting that specific item in interested in won't depend on a pacing I can chose. It'll mean "I need ______ days of Daily Story and PvP".

I really hope you're not suggesting I ignore marks and rely on RNG drops for my armor upgrades. That's loot-cave thinking.

Vendors are the only means of non-random progression in the game. The saving grace. With the current system, I know I can win a dozen matches and go buy some Gauntlets at a vendor. I can do those dozen matches over the course of a few days or in one sitting, whatever I feel like.

Daily gating means getting that specific item in interested in won't depend on a pacing I can chose. It'll mean "I need ______ days of Daily Story and PvP".

But they

- Added Armsday
- Increased Loot
- Added Court Of Oryx
- Improved RNG
- Guaranteed Legendary from Factions
- Made Reputation easier AND gave buffs through class items

Im trying to tell you that just by casually playing the game for fun with teh new systems should be MORE than enough to keep you happily playing

You guys are getting Tunnel vision with this Marks business

HMD

I really hope you're not suggesting I ignore marks and rely on RNG drops for my armor upgrades. That's loot-cave thinking.

But you're forgetting that we might have a full week of grinding for legendary marks when 2.0 hits, and some crucible drops perhaps.

Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring? When they said that you could initiate public events, I thought it meant that all of the public events anywhere on the Dreadnaught were player controlled. I see why that isn't the case with the new mechanics that force players to stay in the area to complete the event, but that's exactly what bothers me.

The Court of Oryx is technically in the center of the Dreadnaught, but the hike up to it makes it feel so far removed from the normal patrol space that players will have to go out of their way to get there. The beauty of the original loot cave (which this essentially mimics) was that it was "on the way". It was at a crossroads where people were already passing for material farming or story missions. Even after the cave was nerfed, Skywatch remained a place with a lot of action happening while players passed through.

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked. They had spent 10 minutes there and I felt like I'd seen everything already.

Perhaps I'm just imagining it.

Deku Tree

Luke Smith says that Bungie want's you to find your legendary gear out in the world as drops. Supposedly drop rates are much higher. Bungie want's you to at least initial spend your legendary marks on Year 2 versions of your year 1 exotics.

If you get 480 marks from completing the first eight story missions three times, that's one exotic armor per character and almost one exotic weapon too. And I haven't even done any grinding for legendary marks yet. No daily, weekly, NF activities at all so far...

...I think people are jumping to too many conclusions. Just wait until the game is released and the system is available please.

Karl2177

Or maybe drops will be more common, so it doesn't feel like RNG is screwing you as hard. Let's say you get a Legendary drop every 24 hours of gameplay now and it didn't roll right, you hate RNG. Now let's say you get a Legendary drop every 7 hours of gameplay. You have a higher chance of it being a not shit roll.

Worrying about marks before seeing how the world plays into the economy isn't a good idea.

Top Bottom