• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

ocean

Banned
My biggest concern with the Court of Oryx is figuring out who will be the leader to put in the runes and get the best armor. Sure the current leader has a cooldown but you are still competing against 4 others to run and put in your rune. Was it confirmed that your runes upgrade regardless if you are the leader? So if I need 3 tier one to get to tier 2 does it matter if I initiate the Court or not? Same for tier 2 to 3
If I'm the only one in the party with a Tier 3 rune and I'll be the only one looting the chest, it'll be tricky to get people to help if it's a really difficult challenge. Sure, there's Hawks and Drizzays but in general it's a weird spot I think.

Kyoufu

6 hr maintenance? Wonder what they're doing that will take that long. Must be quite the overhaul.
Pretty sure it's not upgrading old-gen consoles to higher priority servers so menus load in a reasonable period of time :/

That's a client issue no? I didn't think the UI was server-side.

Lee

My biggest concern with the Court of Oryx is figuring out who will be the leader to put in the runes and get the best armor. Sure the current leader has a cooldown but you are still competing against 4 others to run and put in your rune. Was it confirmed that your runes upgrade regardless if you are the leader? So if I need 3 tier one to get to tier 2 does it matter if I initiate the Court or not? Same for tier 2 to 3

To piggyback, I'm concered that if you're the leader and you've used your rune, you need to play super conservatively to make sure you aren't dead when the VIP goes down. Similar to the wolves, where if you're dead when the final guy dies you don't get the ether key. They said on the stream that to prevent you from AFKing, you need to be playing and not dead to get the rewards. It would suck to drop a super rare tier 3 rune, go down right at the end, have a random finish off the VIP, causing you to lose out on your rewards.

Hopefully I misheard or they misspoke, or this is going to be a big concern.

DjRalford

So

From what I gather I can align with New monarchy, do a patrol mission to rank it, and Vanguard at the same time. Then a crucible match to rank crucible.

That's 3 packages within what 20 minutes, coupled with a couple of Cryptarch packages, and levelling for a brand new package also.

I wonder if commendations can be used on any faction regardless of faction alignment, if so I could level the others at the same time and end up with 5 packages plus Cryptarch goodies.

TyrantII

6 hr maintenance? Wonder what they're doing that will take that long. Must be quite the overhaul.
Pretty sure it's not upgrading old-gen consoles to higher priority servers so menus load in a reasonable period of time :/

Edit: Top of page? Uh-oh

Probably loading and distributing the 18GB TTK update to their CDN

Played Undying Mind for the first time. Always knew about it, never played because there was never a reason to. The wall section with all the majors is actually really cool in my opinion, with a proper team you can unload so many supers. Final boss is neat too, thought it was going to be like the Nexus but it's a fair bit unique. Nothing special, but I'm excited to play it in nightfall.

So first off, thanks to Seventy_X_Seven and co. for letting me hop in on their Hard Mode Crota's End and getting that Triumph.

I'm a little confused though. I looked at the Triumphs on my profile and it says it's all done, but I don't see anything in my game about receiving the Emblem. Is it going to be distributed when Taken King launches?
If the app says you got it you're good to go, emblem will arrive with TTK. And no problem with the check point, getting up to Crota is cake even with just 2 people, just need to find a good sword bearer to make Crota cake as well :D

Played Undying Mind for the first time. Always knew about it, never played because there was never a reason to. The wall section with all the majors is actually really cool in my opinion, with a proper team you can unload so many supers. Final boss is neat too, thought it was going to be like the Nexus but it's a fair bit unique. Nothing special, but I'm excited to play it in nightfall.

Depending on your team, that part is either one of the best fights in the game or one of the worst. Fortunately, I was able to solo most of it after the shotgun buff when my teammates were being conservative with their supers. Or someone will pop Bladedancer and I'll just shake my head.

Gordon

That's a client issue no? I didn't think the UI was server-side.
Based on various bugs I've encountered I'm pretty convinced they just have old systems set to low priority. I mean memory can't be that big of an issue for level 2 chars, but they take way longer to load particularly when connected to other players. My buddy has done a bunch of comparisons between his 360 and his xbone and we're having a hard time figuring out how ram could be a factor. It seems very much contingent on how much information the server has to dole out, and he says his xbone sees much less of an impact from congested networks.

ocean

Banned
Depending on your team, that part is either one of the best fights in the game or one of the worst. Fortunately, I was able to solo most of it after the shotgun buff when my teammates were being conservative with their supers. Or someone will pop Bladedancer and I'll just shake my head.
Sunsingers with Light Beyond Nemesis, a shotgun and a Horn.

Can you take all these orbs, can you?

They should really buff bladedance damage in PvE. It's pathetic right now. It takes effort to take down even red bar enemies if they aren't dregs. Orb generation is also awful.

Daemul

On the marks thing, I personally don't play Destiny for the loot grind, in fact the loot grind is probably the worst part of this fucking game, I just want to get my gear quick and then focus on the end game stuff until the next expansion. This is why I loved the progression in HoW, I could just play the game for a short time and save up marks to go and buy all the vendor armour I wanted with the perfect stats and perks, ascend it and then use it in PoE and ToO, I didn't need to pray to RNGeus for the perfect drops because I could just buy the shit.

If Bungie want to make us rely on random drops to get the gear we want by neutering the amount of marks we can get than fuck that noise, I don't see them increasing the drop rates enough to compensate for not being able to just buy what we want, not with all the stat and perks combinations that is possible to get on gear, you would need to be one lucky motherfucker for it to work in your favour.

No, this would be a massive regression on Bungie's part and I for one don't believe they'll do that, not after all the talk they've made about not wanting to make Destiny a second job for people. They've been making this game more and more casual friendly with each passing expansion and I think they'll continue with that.

Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring? When they said that you could initiate public events, I thought it meant that all of the public events anywhere on the Dreadnaught were player controlled. I see why that isn't the case with the new mechanics that force players to stay in the area to complete the event, but that's exactly what bothers me.

The Court of Oryx is technically in the center of the Dreadnaught, but the hike up to it makes it feel so far removed from the normal patrol space that players will have to go out of their way to get there. The beauty of the original loot cave (which this essentially mimics) was that it was "on the way". It was at a crossroads where people were already passing for material farming or story missions. Even after the cave was nerfed, Skywatch remained a place with a lot of action happening while players passed through.

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked. They had spent 10 minutes there and I felt like I'd seen everything already.

Perhaps I'm just imagining it.

Court of Oryx looks alright, it's not something I'll spend much time on though, it just doesn't seem worth the time investment unless you're doing higher tier shit for high level gear.

shenze

Banned
They should really buff bladedance damage in PvE. It's pathetic right now. It takes effort to take down even red bar enemies if they aren't dregs. Orb generation is also awful.

definetely, its orb generation sucks and it cant kill majors very well which hurts its orb generation even more.

Anyone think we'll get patch notes today?

Only if I can take you the pvp-level designer with me

I dunno, they seem to be doing a better job nowadays. Bannerfall looks perfect and the rest have tremendous potential. I'm excited.

I don't think I ever got around to posting that one design I had...

On the marks thing, I personally don't play Destiny for the loot grind, in fact the loot grind is probably the worst part of this fucking game, I just want to get my gear quick and then focus on the end game stuff until the next expansion. This is why I loved the progression in HoW, I could just play the game for a short time and save up marks to go and buy all the vendor armour I wanted with the perfect stats and perks, ascend it and then use it in PoE and ToO, I didn't need to pray to RNGeus for the perfect drops because I could just buy the shit.

If Bungie want to make us rely on random drops to get the gear we want by neutering the amount of marks we can get than fuck that noise, I don't see them increasing the drop rates enough to compensate for not being able to just buy what we want, not with all the stat and perks combinations that is possible to get on gear, you would need to be one lucky motherfucker for it to work in your favour.

No, this would be a massive regression on Bungie's part and I for one don't believe they'll do that, not after all the talk they've made about not wanting to make Destiny a second job for people. They've been making this game more and more casual friendly with each passing expansion and I think they'll continue with that.

Marks as you're describing is actually not casual friendly.

You're saying "save up your marks and buy what you want" which means you play for two weeks and buy a legendary

They're saying "play and get a few legendaries a week"

Which one is more casual friendly? which one sounds like a second job?

You're saying "save up your marks and buy what you want" which means you play for two weeks and buy a legendary

Honestly after everything they have shown I am confident that its just going to be a better experience for everyone overall

I dont think its going to sink in until people get their hands on it day to day

This is going the same way as before, those who have legitimate concerns about marks/economy changes and the mark defence force :p

I'm out until we see how it plays

noomi

Gunslinger too, 3 shots to down a yellow bar enemy sucks :(

Anyone think we'll get patch notes today?

Oh damn! I totally forgot today was the weekly update, I would hope so, that or at least a quick rundown of what to expect on Tuesday.

No one should be shamed for playing their preferred subclass, but it is quite silly how little damage Bladedancers do and they only generate half the orbs as every other class for whatever reason.

No one should be shamed for playing their preferred subclass, but it is quite silly how little damage Bladedancers do and they only generate half the orbs as every other class for whatever reason.

Not shaming, just disappointed that the Hunters aren't particularly useful in PvE. Golden Gun does a better job during that section, but you still have to soften the enemies up first.

This is going the same way as before, those who have legitimate concerns about marks/economy changes and the mark defence force :p

aint no one saying your concerns aint legitimate.

it aint about "defendin" marks no neither.

it's just about a picture of bungy's motives that becomes clearer every day. i ain't basin my argument on no preference, i'm basin it on what bungy clearly wants us to do with our time playin th game

Deku Tree

Judging by your terminology, sounds like you have already made up your mind.

"I'm out until we see how it plays" = where I am at, personally it doesn't sound like such a terrible system. I have had 1200 marks on my toons for months now.

Not shaming, just disappointed that the Hunters aren't particularly useful in PvE. Golden Gun does a better job during that section, but you still have to soften the enemies up first.

Bladedancer invis is one of the most useful PvE perks IMO. Don't Touch Me's are so much of a lifesaver that it's hard to take them off.

Judging by your terminology, sounds like you have already made up your mind.

"I'm out until we see how it plays" = where I am at, personally it doesn't sound like such a terrible system. I have had 1200 marks on my toons for months now.

Bladedancer invis is one of the most useful PvE perks IMO. Don't Touch Me's are so much of a lifesaver that it's hard to take them off.

Don't really need camo when you're facing a wall of yellow bar Vex.

Kalamari

I thought there was an account cap of 200 for holding legendary marks but no cap for earning them. Maybe I misinterpreted what was said.

Yup, Bladedancers have their use, it just didn't involve supers or orb generation. A lot of Bladedancers I play with don't even use their super to kill in PvE, just another way to cloak.

GutZ31

Those lizard squad asshats? They better not....
The equivalent to the FBI in Canada said they caught almost all of them.
I don't know if any are left, but remember the ring leader got caught after posting something about not being able to be caught lol.

aint no one saying your concerns aint legitimate.

it aint about "defendin" marks no neither.

it's just about a picture of bungy's motives that becomes clearer every day. i ain't basin my argument on no preference, i'm basin it on what bungy clearly wants us to do with our time playin th game

Are you ok?

The new hunter subclass will be more useful in PVE than the other new subclasses IMO. The warlock and Titan super didn't look like they did that much and the utility of the Hunter connecting mobs together to share damage might be very useful in chaotic situations. Tether 4 yellow mobs and have everyone just focus on one and the damage happens to everyone

I thought there was an account cap of 200 for holding legendary marks but no cap for earning them. Maybe I misinterpreted what was said.
Have to wait and see what ways we have to earn the marks though. There might only be a few set means to get marks each week and after that it's only dismantling legendaries. If you still get marks from crucible matches and strike playlists we're good.

Axoman

You guys defending the marks seem to be missing the main point with the other side. Legendaries dropped through playing the game aren't guaranteed to have the stats you want.

If I see a vendor item with the stats I want, I'm going to buy it. I could play for weeks/months and still never have a piece of gear drop with the perks/stats I want.

Homeboyd

The new hunter subclass will be more useful in PVE than the other new subclasses IMO. The warlock and Titan super didn't look like they did that much and the utility of the Hunter connecting mobs together to share damage might be very useful in chaotic situations. Tether 4 yellow mobs and have everyone just focus on one and the damage happens to everyone
Melting Point titan melee. Bookmark this post.

Gordon

Have Bungie indicated how much rep the consumables will be worth that they're converting marks into? It is kinda frustrating to have the value of a weapon reduced to three little puffs of rep unless it's enough rep to get you a rank up and a roll for a weapon. Wouldn't be as much of a bother if they weren't so cheap with the marks for non-endgame content. The impact will be felt more-so by my newer friends that are still grinding away trying to buy gear to level up and having to spend a couple weeks working on buying a helmet.

Mindlog

9ELOMCx.jpg

I'm hoping Monte Carlo + Melting Point is as effective as it sounds.

Top Bottom