• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Sounds good dude. X-Frame had expressed some interest, not sure how many if any of our reset raiders will be available. We should talk about it next reset if we don't hear from people by then. I'll ask Stabie about it tomorrow during Trials.

Edit: also I'm planning to level all 3 subclasses by Friday. Maybe that's a terrible idea but I'll give it a shot. Probably Hunter, Titan then Warlock.

I'm guessing it'll be more than that since they've been very explicit about King's Fall being the biggest raid yet. Luke's comments felt like a direct reference to the CE disappointment, especially how short and small it was. Iirc VoG world's first took at least 10-12 hours so I'm guessing somewhere in that ballpark. Of course the game was only a week old then but there'll be a lot of uncertainty this time too with all the new subclasses and gear.

Personally I'm hoping for at least 3 raid bosses and 12+ hours to clear.

Yeah sounds like a plan. I'm sure both stabbie and ji66a will be up for it.

12 hours sounds glorious, but it all depends on the new mechanics - if they are not similar to VoG ones, then it might take some time figuring them out.

GutZ31

Guys, I just gotta say, the PS4 firmware 3.00 is awesome with lossless PNG pictures now.
The JPG format used in the current firmware has compression that leads to softening of lines and edges, as well as washing out colors at times.
PNG is love. PNG is life.

I honestly think all the new subclasses have their uses.
Warlock with taking out the trash mobs.
Titan with large damage and melting pot
Hunter I know gives buffs and the super can help keep enemies in one place.

The smoke grenade that makes allies invisible will be good for getting out of tough situation.

We don't know how many different bosses they have... and they said the Tier 3 bosses are "raid difficulty bosses". We haven't seen them yet.

Sure, but this makes me think just more insane AoE spam.

I'm hoping Monte Carlo + Melting Point is as effective as it sounds.

Or the Suros. Hard Light I maxed, but I've basically given up on it for PvE.

Nightstalker Hunter might end up being more useful than a Defender Titan

It can trap and disorient enemies AND make your entire team invisible.

It would be interesting though to see if the new raid can get people to spec into support builds. Sunsingers always use self-res instead of increased ally cooldown.

You guys defending the marks seem to be missing the main point with the other side. Legendaries dropped through playing the game aren't guaranteed to have the stats you want.

If I see a vendor item with the stats I want, I'm going to buy it. I could play for weeks/months and still never have a piece of gear drop with the perks/stats I want.

Ok legitimate but also small. There are only so many stats man. Set goals for what you want

And I doubt that NONE of the drops will prove useful to you

Its shouldnt be nearly the grind it used to be. Nothing like Vanilla at least

Consider an exotic sword with 35 ammo/energy
There was a perk on the Sword itself that increases the ammo/energy max.

R1 took off 2 energy
R2 took off 5 energy

If a single R1 attack can kill a Guardian, that means this weapon could land approx. 18 kills by itself without running out of energy. Granted, that would require getting 2 Heavy Ammo containers in PvP. What's more likely is receiving a little more than half of that. So probably someone around 10 kills worth of ammo.

The R2 attack seems to have an AoE component to it, as 1 swing had 3 different damage numbers pop up.

What about R1 R1 R2 combos? Someone should do the math :p

Lnkn52

Guys, I just gotta say, the PS4 firmware 3.00 is awesome with lossless PNG pictures now.
The JPG format used in the current firmware has compression that leads to softening of lines and edges, as well as washing out colors at times.

May we see...

rNilla

PNG 4 Life

Deku Tree

[–]Pyromonkey83 [score hidden] 36 minutes ago
Is the new story really that well done, or is it kind of more of the same just in a better wrapper? We have heard a lot of hype-speak saying the new story missions are miles better and that "You feel like you really are the guardian", but does this translate to a great story experience, or just a decent one?

Also, on a related topic, are there a large number of cutscenes, or only a few, and how much do they add to the experience?

[–]Game Informer EditorSeven-12 [score hidden] 7 minutes ago
So, here's my chance to talk about my philosophy about fiction and storytelling in games. I think they're totally different things, and the original Destiny had one but not the other.

A good fiction means there's a deep world with interesting history, groups, and events. Good storytelling expresses that fiction through smart characters, good dialogue, and immersive moments.

I feel like the base Destiny game had a great fiction, but it was buried behind anemic storytelling. The Taken King largely resolves that problem, by taking advantage of the fiction at hand, but adds in compelling characters (like more Cayde), intriguing dialogue (like moments where we learn more about the interactions of the Vanguard), and awesome moments (like your first arrival on the Dreadnaught, which I won't spoil too much here.)

That's a roundabout way of saying that I think Destiny's story is moving in a really positive direction, especially because you feel more like your character is the "tip of the spear" in the story.

And while the cinematics are a big part of that, something that I think I haven't talked enough about is how the interstitial conversations during missions themselves are much more oriented to communicating lore, character development, and building excitment.

Kalamari

Nightstalker Hunter might end up being more useful than a Defender Titan

It can trap and disorient enemies AND make your entire team invisible.

It would be interesting though to see if the new raid can get people to spec into support builds. Sunsingers always use self-res instead of increased ally cooldown.

That's just crazy talk. Although, I am excited to try the tethering + Dragon's Breath combo.

Homeboyd

I like how hunters have a throwable "buff" for anyone on their fireteam. Imagine a Titan running sword at crota; a hunter could throw a smoke grenade at the titan to make him invis from safety. Stuff like that.

Dave_6

I'm hoping Monte Carlo + Melting Point is as effective as it sounds.

Still got to finish leveling mine up. Haven't quite unlocked the special perk yet.

Or the Suros. Hard Light I maxed, but I've basically given up on it for PvE.

Working on my Hard Light too, Suros has it's special perk unlocked and I haven't ascended it either. Quit using it back before HoW dropped.

If I'm the only one in the party with a Tier 3 rune and I'll be the only one looting the chest, it'll be tricky to get people to help if it's a really difficult challenge. Sure, there's Hawks and Drizzays but in general it's a weird spot I think.

To piggyback, I'm concered that if you're the leader and you've used your rune, you need to play super conservatively to make sure you aren't dead when the VIP goes down. Similar to the wolves, where if you're dead when the final guy dies you don't get the ether key. They said on the stream that to prevent you from AFKing, you need to be playing and not dead to get the rewards. It would suck to drop a super rare tier 3 rune, go down right at the end, have a random finish off the VIP, causing you to lose out on your rewards.

Hopefully I misheard or they misspoke, or this is going to be a big concern.

I think you are going to want a fireteam of three before using a Tier 3 rune. The bosses are probably scaled to that many guardians. People will jump in because the rewards will be worth it. And probably pretty easy with more than 3.

The bosses in the stream went down really fast once their shield was down. Four or five jumping in with shotguns or swords will melt them.

I am guessing Defenders and Nightstalkers will be very useful in the Court.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think you are going to want a fireteam of three before using a Tier 3 rune. The bosses are probably scaled to that many guardians. People will jump in because the rewards will be worth it. And probably pretty easy with more than 3.

The bosses in the stream went down really fast once their shield was down. Four or five jumping in with shotguns or swords will melt them.

I am guessing Defenders and Nightstalkers will be very useful in the Court.
They were using an exotic sword though.

Daemul

Marks as you're describing is actually not casual friendly.

You're saying "save up your marks and buy what you want" which means you play for two weeks and buy a legendary

They're saying "play and get a few legendaries a week"

Which one is more casual friendly? which one sounds like a second job?

The first is actually more casual friendly because it's a guarantee that you'll get what you want. Right now you can play for two weeks, get 400 marks and fully deck yourself out in armour with all the stats and perks that you want, it's all reliant on the player and you can play at your own pace with a set goal in mind.

This new speculated system asks you to rely on RNG for that gear, which yes, in theory is faster in getting you geared up since all that perfect rolled shit could drop for you in a day, but we all know that's not how it works in reality. The time span for when you can get all your perfect gear ranges from an hour to eternity, whilst there's a set and knowable time with which you can just buy the gear you want like you can now.

This discussion is all nonsense anyway and it will probably turn out to be meaningless when we discover that marks are plentiful in TTK, I'm just arguing for fun at this point lol

I sure hope so!

I think the flow of the new games systems are going to be consistently providing players with cool loot, stuff to do, and enjoyable gameplay that grinding will be a personal choice

I mean just stacking up all the stuff to do in my mind it should be relatively painless to get enough gear to pick and choose to optimize yourself before even thinking about grinding for marks

At least thats my hope

It's beta or something, isn't it? I just heard a tiny bit about it this morning.

The first is actually more casual friendly because it's a guarantee that you'll get what you want. Right now you can play for two weeks, get 400 marks and fully deck yourself out in armour with all the stats and perks that you want, it's all reliant on the player and you can play at your own pace with a set goal in mind.

This new speculated system asks you to rely on RNG for that gear, which yes, in theory is faster in getting you geared up since all that perfect rolled shit could drop for you in a day, but we all know that's not how it works in reality. The time span for when you can get all your perfect gear ranges from an hour to eternity, whilst there's a set and knowable time with which you can just buy the gear you want like you can now.

This discussion is all nonsense anyway and it will probably turn out to be meaningless when we discover that marks are plentiful in TTK, I'm just arguing for fun at this point lol

lmao ditto

GutZ31

May we see...

PNG 4 Life
I wanted to use Destiny for screenshots, but I had no comparison shots.
Look at the text first to see the softening of the edges.

JPG~
Swjx9Mz.jpg

PNG~

It's beta or something, isn't it? I just heard a tiny bit about it this morning.
Yeah, its in Beta right now.
Hope they keep PNG for final release, it is awesome.

I hear ya

To entertain these arguments eternity to get what you want seems like an overstatement

Just out of pure abundance of reward opportunities available in TTK.

taco543

Man the eighth can't come quick enough and my boss was kind enough to gimme that day off so I got a three day weekend and TTK hype!

Raybunny

I wanted to use Destiny for screenshots, but I had no comparison shots.
Look at the text first to see the softening of the edges.

JPG~

PNG~

Yeah, its in Beta right now.
Hope they keep PNG for final release, it is awesome.

Sometimes the size difference is not worth it.

GhaleonEB

I feel like Court of Oryx's role in the TTK is being made out to be bigger than what it is. It's not a replacement for PoE in the new endgame, it's another activity to do while out on patrol. You can run the normal missions, collect resources, explore, find parts of that exotic gun, do public events, hang out for the mega battles - or run up to the Court and hit up a boss rush or two. The timers on them were all in the 3-5 minute range, so they're designed to be quick, challenging and rewarding.

I don't see myself hanging out and grinding them for hours on end. But I do see myself swinging up there while on patrol to charge a rune or two, or just help some guys do the same (I really like finding random battlebro's out in the wild during public events). You'll pass through that space and make a call as to whether to swing by and help out or trigger a fight to mix things up, knowing it's a low time commitment, but a high impact fight with loot.

Of all the activities in the game, I think patrols needed the most love, especially for high end players. This is Bungie basically making them relevant for the new endgame, but not a critical part of them. When Patrols were first introduced, they were framed as places for more laid back combat and exploration/screwing around, punctuated by quick, fun public events. This is basically the same, but with some element of player control and with a higher difficulty spike, and richer associated loot drop. I think it's an indication that Bungie is figuring out how to make patrols appealing to a larger group of players - you can go out and sort of choose your own difficulty for the activity, while still mingling with a range of players in public spaces.

Pretty neat, but it's not a raid or something on that level, and I don't think it was intended to be.

X-Frame

Sounds good dude. X-Frame had expressed some interest, not sure how many if any of our reset raiders will be available. We should talk about it next reset if we don't hear from people by then. I'll ask Stabie about it tomorrow during Trials.

Edit: also I'm planning to level all 3 subclasses by Friday. Maybe that's a terrible idea but I'll give it a shot. Probably Hunter, Titan then Warlock.

I'm guessing it'll be more than that since they've been very explicit about King's Fall being the biggest raid yet. Luke's comments felt like a direct reference to the CE disappointment, especially how short and small it was. Iirc VoG world's first took at least 10-12 hours so I'm guessing somewhere in that ballpark. Of course the game was only a week old then but there'll be a lot of uncertainty this time too with all the new subclasses and gear.

Personally I'm hoping for at least 3 raid bosses and 12+ hours to clear.

Yo! I have the week off after TTK so I should have no problem getting up to 40 and gearing appropriately by then.

I also will just be focusing on 1 character, so since I have 3 Titans I'll be able to share new gear very quickly, hah.

If there isn't a spot no worries, maybe there will be enough people willing to start at raid launch to get a few different GAF raid groups going and streaming.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So I may have to retract my plan to jump into a raid this weekend - I'm probably going to take advantage of that $20 trade in credit deal at gamestop to grab TTK for $40, which will leave me without a Destiny disc until the 15th.

Sullichin

I'm also psised I missed Bones of Eao :( Really the only thing from Year 1 that I still want before TTK comes out, assuming they will have a year 2 version

Mindlog

What does melting point do?

Also videos of the Titan super makes it look like it gets used us extremely fast so you need to use it at the perfect moment
When you land a melee it debuffs the enemy.
Enemy takes 50% more damage and every hit counts as a crit.
Xur history at your service :]
It was a month ago, but that didn't stop Xur from selling Dragon's Breath every other week when TDB released.

bitsurugi

Anyone else think Court of Oryx looks kinda boring? When they said that you could initiate public events, I thought it meant that all of the public events anywhere on the Dreadnaught were player controlled. I see why that isn't the case with the new mechanics that force players to stay in the area to complete the event, but that's exactly what bothers me.

The Court of Oryx is technically in the center of the Dreadnaught, but the hike up to it makes it feel so far removed from the normal patrol space that players will have to go out of their way to get there. The beauty of the original loot cave (which this essentially mimics) was that it was "on the way". It was at a crossroads where people were already passing for material farming or story missions. Even after the cave was nerfed, Skywatch remained a place with a lot of action happening while players passed through.

The journey isn't the only thing that concerns me. The arena itself looked small and the fights quickly got repetitive (though obviously not as much as a loot cave). There are some interesting mechanics in play, but without a change of scenery I can see it getting stale quickly after all of the loot tiers have been unlocked. They had spent 10 minutes there and I felt like I'd seen everything already.

Perhaps I'm just imagining it.

Finally who thinks the same as me.

Come to think of it:

CoO is essentially a pre-scripted instance, where you can theoretically meet up to 2 more fireteams (essentially a fireteam matchmaking). They said on stream - up to 9 ppl per zone. You get 2 tryhards fireteams besides your 3 man? Cool, easy mode for you. You get no one or scrub randoms? Well, tough luck buddy, you are on your own.

I hope randoms won't screw you on tough mechanics in T3. Immagine a random (who isn't even on your fireteam and can't be booted) running away from the twin Hive Captain and screwing you on the immune proximity shield? Rage on!

Also: not sure, what happens if you fail? Do you need to grind another rune? Or you can try until you suceed once? I hope the latter.

What i dislike:
- the same zone, which might be boring pretty soon. I am sure it will be SUPER exciting in the first weeks, but later on a drag ---- yes, PoE, i am referring to you!
- the same bosses (t3)

- i am missing some more randomized stuff, like random zone, not restricted to the Dreadnought. Hell, why not in Mothyards?
Here i think they opted for an anti-cheese mechanic. Basically the put gdzillion of hard mobs in a super small zone, with literally next to no cover (they even kindly showed us a small cheese trick on stream), which i guess is what will make the encounter tough (besides the strict timer, when high dps will be needed).

I REALLY hope i am wrong on CoO will not become shallow in a few weeks. Once tactics and T3 mobs will be revealed, it will be all the same from that moment onwards.

A big role in keeping this interesting will fall on Bungie. They really could add more bosses after release, maybe one or two new every month or two. Kinda doubt that, but hey, you never know...

Isaccard

I need to do public events before next week to finish the requirements for the triumph emblem. Anyone know the best location I can grind them out with little (or easy) back and forth? I tried just sitting on the public event website tracker and going back and forth but I found myself getting lost on the way to any specific location and just didint make it or wind up doing an event that wasn't tracked as happening any time soon

I need to do public events before next week to finish the requirements for the triumph emblem. Anyone know the best location I can grind them out with little (or easy) back and forth? I tried just sitting on the public event website tracker and going back and forth but I found myself getting lost on the way to any specific location and just didint make it or wind up doing an event that wasn't tracked as happening any time soon

Moon. Rotate between anchor of light and archer's line.

taco543

Why wouldnt you take the 3 days on the 15th!!!!???
I actually was given the 15th off too, but I got a three day weekend this weekend because we're closed Sundays, and Mondays labor day here in the US. Plus having this Tuesday off means I'm for sure ready for TTK on the 15th gonna hit level 40 well before it comes out!

Top Bottom