• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Doubt it. With the new translation, our current 42 Light armor will probably equal _____ Light, and leave us at a perfectly equivalent distance from Skolas. This would only help if you were like halfway to level 34. Instead of being rounded down to 33, you'd get a little credit for your progress towards 34.

As it is, I expect our current status to remain absolutely identical outside of a new metric for displaying essentially the same Light/Level/whatever.
Yeah, it looks like it's exactly the same system just displayed completely differently.

Siege.exe

Would anything happen to my level 34 character if I were to download the trial version of Destiny on my PS4? I'm still on the PS3 version, and I don't want to spend the entire afternoon downloading the update patch on launch day. I know there's a level cap of 8(?) on the trial version, and I'd be fine with not being able to use my character until I actually bought the game, but I just want to make sure that the level cap won't get my existing character deleted or anything.

FyreWulff

dats pretty cool that they're letting everyone try the crucible stuff for a week. One of the advantages of everyone having all the data in a game

III-V

Should've just said TTK content will be up upon reset...

And I was correct on them not raising the cap next week.

Though it is real nice of them to let us play the new crucible modes and maps a week early. Looks like I may have to put MGS aside for a few hours next week.

They are not raising the cap, but it sounds as if anyone who is not 34 from gear can now level to 34 thru exp.

Arrrammis

I wonder... If I have an exotic bounty, will they still auto complete it even if I have made absolutely no progress on it? That's what it sounds like to me.

Not completely true. You are prompted for what weapon you want when you start the bounty with Variks, it's just odd that you get a chance to change your mind when you complete it.

So there is some marker out there that should remember what you chose when you started it off.

Actually this isn't true. It only appears that way. When you first go to Variks you have the opportunity to view the weapons. But if you choose to, you can hover over anything you like in that screen and just push x (or a). You don't actually select anything.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yeah, it looks like it's exactly the same system just displayed completely differently.

Doubt it. With the new translation, our current 42 Light armor will probably equal _____ Light, and leave us at a perfectly equivalent distance from Skolas. This would only help if you were like halfway to level 34. Instead of being rounded down to 33, you'd get a little credit for your progress towards 34.

As it is, I expect our current status to remain absolutely identical outside of a new metric for displaying essentially the same Light/Level/whatever.
It's much more refined than that which is the whole point for the system change in the first place. Increments of light will count whether it's x.1 or x.9

Say right now their light level is at 33.25. With the light system as it is for all intents and purposes the game sees them as 33. After the 8th their light will count as if they were 33.25 in attack and defense on the old system.

If you're a 34 now rocking 34 level weapons then no nothing with change for you but if you're anything else you're much closer to 34 than you probably were before especially if you have 365 weapons.

Actually this isn't true. It only appears that way. When you first go to Variks you have the opportunity to view the weapons. But if you choose to, you can hover over anything you like in that screen and just push x (or a). You don't actually select anything.

Got it. I was fooled!!

ocean

Banned
It's much more refined than that which is the whole point for the system change in the first place. Increments of light will count whether it's x.1 or x.9

Say right now their light level is at 33.25. With the light system as it is for all intents and purposes the game sees them as 33. After the 8th their light will count as if they were 33.25 in attack and defense on the old system.

Exactly! This is what I meant, it's moving from a completely discrete stepping system where you're either 33 or 34 and no progress in between counts at all to a more continuous slope where incremental differences are perceived.

With regards to the original question concerning damage scaling on Skolas though, I'd assume our current weapons (365 attack) and armor (42 Light) will translate to a new Light number which leaves us....exactly where we are now, no advantages for level 35 content until we get new gear :)

Kalamari

I wonder why they are moving grimoire score away from the player emblem and to the player screen. Do players really discriminate upon those with high.low grimoire?

FyreWulff

I wonder why they are moving grimoire score away from the player emblem and to the player screen. Do players really discriminate upon those with high.low grimoire?

Because that's where they're showing your Light now, since it's separated from player level as of the patch.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Got my first "The Best...Around" medal on pvp in control match :sniff so proud of myself. When I started playing the pvp and all I did was getting one shotted, and with negative KDs all the time, now getting this medal. feelsgoodman.jpg

If you're a 34 now rocking 34 level weapons then no nothing with change for you but if you're anything else you're much closer to 34 than you probably were before especially if you have 365 weapons.

Exactly! This is what I meant, it's moving from a completely discrete stepping system where you're either 33 or 34 and no progress in between counts at all to a more continuous slope where incremental differences are perceived.

With regards to the original question concerning damage scaling on Skolas though, I'd assume our current weapons (365 attack) and armor (42 Light) will translate to a new Light number which leaves us....exactly where we are now, no advantages for level 35 content until we get new gear :)

Gotcha. Thank you guys. Now just to find someone willing to help a Skolas noob.

The question I MOST wanted answered about the 2.0 update didn't get answered.

Are vendor stocks of shaders/emblems going away (into loot tables) on 9/8?

Reasons to believe yes:
- Vanguard/Crucible marks are going away, and that's what's used to buy Emblems.
- Eris has a new quest in TK and her current bounties are going away
- Petra's wolf bounties are leaving, and she has a quest line in TK, so her vendor page is going to be updated

Reasons to believe no:
- New gear to stock the vendors are part of Taken King, not part of 2.0. So will vendors get a half update?
- Faction gear in Taken King requires pledging and they haven't mentioned anything about that, I assume that's part of Taken King
- Variks doesn't take marks, only cores and tokens

Emblems and shaders are expensive and it takes time to grind for currency. Would love to assume that I have 1.5 weeks instead of just 4 days to get it all together. Safest course is to assume "yes" they're disappearing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

i don't think a level 34 with 365 weapons will be more powerful but I do think a level 33.XX with 365 weapons may be more powerful. Probably not by much but still a bit stronger.

I mean say skolas recommended light level is 160

365 dmg = 160 LL
42 light armor = 160 LL
36 light armor = 145 LL

So level 34 now is 160 light level
33.5 (with 365 and 3 pieces of armor at 42, one at 36) is
157 light level compared to the system now where a level 33 does 33% less damage. Obviously all my numbers are made up but doesn't this give some merit to the fact that being under leveled isn't as bad now and that current sub 34s should be more powerful.

DeviantBoi

Any word on what happens with unfinished Elder Ciphers?

Just got my third and final one today and I just know Variks is gonna take his sweet time with it.

FyreWulff

Any word on what happens with unfinished Elder Ciphers?

Just got my third and final one today and I just know Variks is gonna take his sweet time with it.

they'll also finish and (assumption) is you choose it when you get to variks

the weapons themselves will now drop out of the chest

Deku Tree

So does the taken king mean a fresh start essentially? I havent played since vanilla but i have basically everything that was available at the time in terms of exotics and raid gear.

Just want to make sure im not completely left in the dust when the new expac comes out and have to farm for weeks just to get myself up to speed.

Yup it's basically a fresh start. Bungie is doing a lot to make it very easy for players to jump back in and get up to speed.
You will start at level 30 and you can level up to 40 with exp.

For your new mode descriptions for TTK thread, how about:

Mayhem is Supers Fun!

lol that's clever.

on that front, i finally have the official rift icon in there.

8bd68cfe1d1f722f91e45e701440d10b.png

EL CUCO

Is anyone else experiencing a ton of red bars players in their matches...like more than usual? Every single match I've played since I got home has been this way. Even tried Skirmish, and it was good at first then about half way through, the whole lobby red and yellow with shots not registering.

Seriously, I'd be embarrassed if I were Bungie...

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I have a bad juju bounty going, it's asking me to do 25 strikes, no fucking way I'm doing that, so this auto-complete business is like music to my ears. And I believe that Bad Juju is getting upgraded to Year 2, so even more sweet!

Kalamari

I have made so many attempts to get a run off the ground haha never works out. In panic mode now as it's the last thing I need for the year one triumphs.

I hear ya, Skolas is a bit of a chore. I got pretty lucky when I ran Skolas, as 2 pretty experienced people just needed a 3rd to take along. It went swimmingly.

SnakeEyes

Banned
So with this release time announcement for TTK, I've just realised that TTK becomes available for me at 10PM on Sept 15th. Looks like I'ma have to pull an all-nighter.
Edit: Fuck, top of page. Again.

Top Bottom