• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

FyreWulff

I can see both sides of it.

Like, i hate when someone dies so early on that people don't even want to try with 5 people because why would you want to? So lets all just wipe and start over fresh...

I both agree and disagree with this scenario.

Well, Crota's End already introduced the concept of arbitrarily turning off fireteam revives, so you could allow revives in the initial stage (to keep early deaths from causing intentional wipes) but then go "The boss is angry now! Fireteam revives are disabled!" toast to get the "aawwww shiiit" factor going

darknil

There has been one feature that I really want in Destiny since launch but never gets talked about: Wait list for Crucible joining to friends.

It's very boring to go to orbit when a friend logs in and want to come with me on a Clash / Control. Obviously this waitlist would be only when joining on friends and optional, instead of spamming Join Fireteam.

Made a quick update to my year 2 exotic predictions. Just made it look a little nicer, and added the name for the chain lightning gun.

NN1Ff12.jpg

Edit: The unknowns are new weapons.

ooo sounds like defender titans getting a PvP buff. maybe no more blade dancer razor's edge.

actually it sounds like they're going to be rebalancing "all the 6 original kits"

Well, Crota's End already introduced the concept of arbitrarily turning off fireteam revives, so you could allow revives in the initial stage (to keep early deaths from causing intentional wipes) but then go "The boss is angry now! Fireteam revives are disabled!" toast to get the "aawwww shiiit" factor going

See, I love this idea.

Like, the whole raid has let you revive by other guardians, but a boss or final boss that when he specifically kills you, or kills you with a specific attack means you can't revive? That sounds awesome.

I'll be honest... that doesn't sound fun.

Like, it could be fun if the mechanics for elements were currently different, but as it stands, that would be terrible.

You'd only have a 33% chance of firing the right element at a shielded target. Meaning an overall DPS decrease.

Yup, but I'd be interesting if they can come up with some perks to balance it out. Also imagine this weapon being an AR and the switch occuring on trigger pull, it'd be a decent weapon for dual-burn activities, or burn activities where the burn element doesn't match the shield type of certain enemies.

EL CUCO

I mean, what's wrong with that? Raids are supposed to be a team experience. I mean if you can do it with less than 6 people more power to ya, but if you can't then good, raids should be a team effort where people pull their weight. Not saying every team member needs to have the same skill level but there're should be a base level of skill especially for the hard raid.
Because when a person dies, they're immediately ruled out from that section. It has a negative effect on the "Team experience".

Because when a person dies, they're immediately ruled out from that section. It has a negative effect on the "Team experience".

I like the idea of if a person dies, they can be rezzed, but the bosses are smart enough to sort of "camp" the bodies and you have to wait for them to either leave, or lure them away in order to get a revive off.

So since they have removed the Xp buff from Nightfalls I guess we don't get the blue flames anymore and artifacts have no visual presence. Since the artifacts seemed to be tied to creating orbs when damage is done with a certain element what if artifacts replaced the Nightfall Aura and instead you have different colour flames depending on the element that your Artifact buffs.

That would be so fucking sweet, and it'll show off some clutch moments from teammates for sure.

Kyoufu

lol before they found an extra megabyte of memory to allocate to double vault space, they were only able to add 3 more vault space. but they wanted to go further because they couldn't boast about 3 extra spaces in patch notes.

Remember when folks here gave Bungie shit for teasing the Vault boost in their stream until the end?

It all makes so much sense now. I mean, it did to me before, because the memory limitations of last gen consoles were an obvious issue, so if I were part of the Bungie team I'd be super stoked about the Vault upgrade revelation and would totally tease it for a big reveal like they did.

Lnkn52

Less Internet celebs and more developers on these streams.

The GI podcast was a great listen. It got into the details of info we wanted to know.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I mean, what's wrong with that? Raids are supposed to be a team experience. I mean if you can do it with less than 6 people more power to ya, but if you can't then good, raids should be a team effort where people pull their weight. Not saying every team member needs to have the same skill level but there're should be a base level of skill especially for the hard raid.

Artificial Difficulty is just poorly designed for the mechanics.

Most importantly, the core of the experience, things like level design, enemy behavior and solutions does not change. Usually the only thing that do is a increased enemy health pool, damage and number of units spawned

AD is shallow, providing a level of difficulty that is neither satisfying nor enjoyable and often feeling cheap and unfair (Bullet-sponge anyone?)
Denial of progress is probably the worst enemy here, which Destiny Y1 had plenty.

Versus

Designed Difficulty
Very much like Dark Souls, its based on a complex attack pattern, superb level design, AI behavior and solutions.

DD offers great satisfaction once conquered because the challenge presented felt organic, smooth and fair.

I should be taking notes listening to this podcast. great info and insight in here
finally the long awaited answer to the
he-man hair

EL CUCO

I like the idea of if a person dies, they can be rezzed, but the bosses are smart enough to sort of "camp" the bodies and you have to wait for them to either leave, or lure them away in order to get a revive off.
That'd be cool because you can work around that mechanic to form a strategy. Ghorn wont be around to save us for TTK.

X-Frame

ooo sounds like defender titans getting a PvP buff. maybe no more blade dancer razor's edge.

actually it sounds like they're going to be rebalancing "all the 6 original kits"

Whaaaaat?! That is great news! I assume not like in the next 2 weeks. Maybe they're going to wait until the meta settles before they start balancing them all. Maybe some time in the Winter time? We'll see.

"Icebreaker is a gun that's probably even too good, it doesn't force you to engage with the game. Icebreaker and Gjallarhorn are these really interesting metaphors for the type of game we shipped last year. Gjallarhorn and Icebreaker were solutions to problems. Those problems are things like like bullet sponginess or Nightfalls punishing and kicking me to orbit. And it's incentivizing me to sit behind cover and not die because the penalty is so high.

When we're talking about how we wanna improve the game, we've talked about how we don't want the bosses to feel like bullet sponges. Because when they do, the player symptom is 'Well, Gjallarhorn is the answer to everything' and we don't want the exotics to be the answer to everything. We want them to be situationally useful. We want you to have the moment where 'oh my god, the gun that'll be perfect for this is blah.'"*

"In the power enabled playlists for PvP - the power enabled areas of the game like Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris, how do we wanna shift the meta game around in that area too? Aspirationally, and i hope that we achieve it (if we don't, I know we're gonna hear from our fans about it), we do want this fall to feel like a different season. And part of it feeling like a different season is that a bunch of those weapons and pieces of armor that have been there are not there in September."

--Luke Smith

*well Gjallarhorn is perfect for that, and this, and that over there too!

This podcast is the best & most encouraging Destiny info ever.

They're doing it, guys. They're making this the last game I need to play.

EL CUCO

Less Internet celebs and more developers on these streams.

The GI podcast was a great listen. It got into the details of info we wanted to know.
Do you have a link to the podcast? Would definitely help on the 1hr drive home im about to take

Rehsa

I am trying not to spoil too much, but I am a sucker for clicking them. Everything is sounding pretty damn good right now.

E92 M3

The GI podcast was so good; they really asked great questions!

Funny that there is no conversion for Etheric Light yet.

EL CUCO

1 loss shy of mercury. Not a bad run for the first run this weekend.

Every game just makes me appreciate weapons 2.0 even more. Come on September!

"Icebreaker is a gun that's probably even too good, it doesn't force you to engage with the game. Icebreaker and Gjallarhorn are these really interesting metaphors for the type of game we shipped last year. Gjallarhorn and Icebreaker were solutions to problems. Those problems are things like like bullet sponginess or Nightfalls punishing and kicking me to orbit. And it's incentivizing me to sit behind cover and not die because the penalty is so high.

When we're talking about how we wanna improve the game, we've talked about how we don't want the bosses to feel like bullet sponges. Because when they do, the player symptom is 'Well, Gjallarhorn is the answer to everything' and we don't want the exotics to be the answer to everything. We want them to be situationally useful. We want you to have the moment where 'oh my god, the gun that'll be perfect for this is blah.'"*

"In the power enabled playlists for PvP - the power enabled areas of the game like Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris, how do we wanna shift the meta game around in that area too? Aspirationally, and i hope that we achieve it (if we don't, I know we're gonna hear from our fans about it), we do want this fall to feel like a different season. And part of it feeling like a different season is that a bunch of those weapons and pieces of armor that have been there are not there in September."

--Luke Smith

*well Gjallarhorn is perfect for that, and this, and that over there too!

Other than the gahllahorn and ice breaker being the catch all solution to alot of problems. I think they did manage to pull off the bolded. For example. bad juju and Mida mutli tool became a great answer to the CE Abyss. as well as folks dusting off their Suros and red deaths on the crota HM fight. just as examples.

I have a bunch of Legendaries and Exotics that need an Exotic Shard to ascend. Should I purchase a shard from Xur or will TTK somehow invalidate all this? I don't want to waste Strange Coins on this if the next expansion changes things up big time.

Dave_6

I have a bunch of Legendaries and Exotics that need an Exotic Shard to ascend. Should I purchase a shard from Xur or will TTK somehow invalidate all this? I don't want to waste Strange Coins on this if the next expansion changes things up big time.

You only need Shards for Exotics. Etheric light is used to ascend Legendaries.

I'd just hold off it it isn't something you need immediately. Some exotics will no longer be as relevant with TTK and others will be upgraded to year 2 versions so there isn't much point in using potentially valuable currencies now.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Artificial Difficulty is just poorly designed for the mechanics.

Most importantly, the core of the experience, things like level design, enemy behavior and solutions does not change. Usually the only thing that do is a increased enemy health pool, damage and number of units spawned

AD is shallow, providing a level of difficulty that is neither satisfying nor enjoyable and often feeling cheap and unfair (Bullet-sponge anyone?)
Denial of progress is probably the worst enemy here, which Destiny Y1 had plenty.

Versus

Designed Difficulty
Very much like Dark Souls, its based on a complex attack pattern, superb level design, AI behavior and solutions.

DD offers great satisfaction once conquered because the challenge presented felt organic, smooth and fair.
Except what your describing and what he's describing aren't remotely the same. I don't believe limiting teammate revival is traditional artificial difficulty at all. I wasn't saying artificial difficulty was Necessarily a good thing. I was saying limiting teammate respawning is not a bad thing or lazy development. It changes the way people play the game (I.e. Being less reckless and more team oriented).

daedalius

I've been kind of hoping they would, there is little that would be drawing me back to Striker from Sunbreaker at this point; or defender unless the PVE content demands it.

Top Bottom