• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

So here is what I've gathered, for PvP....This is just my opinion at the moment.

The Good:
- Bad Juju
- Red Death
- Thorn
- High Impact Shotguns
- Snipers (un-chaged)
- Rocket Launchers (slight nerf to nades & horseshoes)

The Decent:
- The Messenger
- Monte Carlo
- Suros
- Hard Light
- Scout Rifles
- Fusion Rifles
- High Impact Heavy Machine Guns
- No Land Beyond

The Bad:
- Hawkmoon
- The Last Word (I still kind of like it, very situational though)
- Arc Bolt Nade RIP

I think you and DY are using broken Hawkmoons. Maybe the Gunsmith can help you guys out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm still ass deep in MGS5 so no time to explain why I don't have time to explain. How are Messenger and Plan C in crucible now?
I haven't had a chance to try it yet but according to the patch notes Plan C actually got buffed, lol

Hedge

Anyone know of a strike to do the sunsinger quest on? People keep killing my mobs in the weekly, so I've yet to make it past 10 kills. I hate these quests.
Do PoE count as a strike?

Anyone know of a strike to do the sunsinger quest on? People keep killing my mobs in the weekly, so I've yet to make it past 10 kills. I hate these quests.

Serious just wait until Tuesday. All you will get is a bond you can't wear and you will miss out on XP.

I wish someone had told me this before I finished mine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
More than anything, weapon ranges mean that there's no one size fits all (or most) for every map right now. That's a pretty big improvement by itself.

Arc Bolt grenades did get nerfed into the dirt though. They're barely threatening lol
Suppose I'll return to my original favorite of Plasma-I-mean-Flux Grenades, even though they too got nerfed it seems :(

oh - and sidearms will legit fuck people up now. its not a joke. they put you down quick
That's pretty cool. The more variety in the special weapon slot that becomes viable the better Crucible will be.

As someone who has played every Bungie game since Halo 1...

Sector 618 is the worst map they have ever made. What an absolute piece of garbage. It's like they took part of the Cosmodrome mission and threw a bunch of random shit everywhere. Every 2 inches is a 90 degree turn and an open or closed crate to jump on with another 90 degree wall right around it. There's no flow; it's impossible to callout on. This is just wrong. There are Forge maps in Reach that weren't even this bad.

Xbox players are lucky they wont have to play on it till next year. I've played it enough to never want to see it again.
Wow, this is an amazing feat if true. There have been some pretty shitty maps in halo over the years. Sector 618 is worse than Chiron!?

Gammacide

Do you guys think it would be smarter to wait to do all these quests until you can actually level up beyond 34 next week? I'd love to get some of the blue/green gear that is supposedly better than my current stuff, but is getting rid of these quests now prudent? Thoughts?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I like the new changes, will take some getting used to. Also I can't pinpoint what they did with the graphics, it definitely feels different.

Do you guys think it would be smarter to wait to do all these quests until you can actually level up beyond 34 next week? I'd love to get some of the blue/green gear that is supposedly better than my current stuff, but is getting rid of these quests now prudent? Thoughts?

Also do you have start them over if you abandon them??

EloquentM

aka Mannny
shotguns still have some decent range on them but fusion rifles get to live again

AR return was greatly exaggerated so far

hawkmoon... hate it had to be you, breh
After everything that's changed this is what hurts the most. Hands down my favorite pvp HC

ocean

Banned
Weekly is fantastic. So many enemies. When Eris says the Hive are coming, the door to your right will start pouring a million Thralls all over the place. Shotgun, Bad Juju, Fatebringer, a Rocket Launcher, grenades, whatever man. Radiance is a brutal killer.

I'm going to complete all mine but not hand them in, just to get them out of the way for next week

Hedge

Weekly is fantastic. So many enemies. When Eris says the Hive are coming, the door to your right will start pouring a million Thralls all over the place. Shotgun, Bad Juju, Fatebringer, a Rocket Launcher, grenades, whatever man. Radiance is a brutal killer.

Wait, normal gun kills count? So they don't have to die from my grenades? Huh.

ocean

Banned
Wait, normal gun kills count? So they don't have to die from my grenades? Huh.
I haven't done that Quest yet but if what you need is Orb generation, every kill you get during Radiance will make orbs. Radiance Gjallarhorn is sick. Bonus points if you have Light Beyond Nemesis for extra Orb generation or HotPF for more nades.

Afrocious

Could someone patient enough give me an explanation on the state of PvP at the moment, and where it's going (if possible to make such a call)?

@Zoba? @Anyone?

Last time I got remotely heavy into PvP auto-rifles got nerfed. Suros got nerfed something awful but apparently it didn't end there.

I stopped playing before TDB dropped.

Also, for the devs ITT, when the hell did Bungie give people access to the companion app API? That's fuckin huge.

matmanx1

this meta is nothing until 2.0 exotics come out to play.

Shotguns still snipe though... Blink is still as annoying.

Yeah I was really surprised about shotguns on the Rift maps I played last night. Any good shotgun (Found Verdict, Felwinter's, Matador, Party Crasher, etc.) is still a 1 hit kill at close range.

I had some success with Suros and Mida and none at all with The Last Word (although that was just because of the range nerf, up close it should still be effective). Hawkmoon seemed relatively unchanged to me; if the damage bonus procs it can still be a 2 hit kill and if it doesn't it is a 3 hit kill just like always.

I think the range and damage fall-off is going to be the biggest adjustment for everyone, especially for hand cannon and auto-rifle users. At ranges we used to be doing 100% damage before 2.0 we will now be doing 50 - 75% and be at a disadvantage to those with pulse rifles and scout rifles.

This should, in theory, lead to smarter players having more success as long as you are familiar with the maps and how they flow. It will be very important to match the gun to the range of the engagement, much moreso than it ever was before.

These are interesting times in Destiny PVP and I look forwarding to sussing it all out.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think you and DY are using broken Hawkmoons. Maybe the Gunsmith can help you guys out.

Yeah, he did - got a Red Hand that I trust more than the Hawkmoon now because it has hip fire and icarus lol

It does nothing special anymore. People may have a special love for it - cool, I loved mine too. Its not reliable enough in close quarters because ARs, other handcannons, shotguns and FRs run that now. Its not reliable at mid-range because the damage drop off is legit surprising and jarring compared to what it used to be. PRs will shred you and the rate of fire difference is like.... srs. Long range? Don't even attempt it.

I always believed that pre-patch, you could make a lot of weapons work if you found yourself separated from the Blink/Shotgun/TLWhornmoon stuff. I'm not really saying that being able to use weapons that aren't heavily favored by the community at the time made you an anomaly, special, etc.

But being honest and unbias - everything that made the Hawkmoon a top-tier weapon is gone now. Its buffed luck in the chamber handcannon with a bit more range and sexy design. You can't compare the Hawkmoon now to what it was before and honestly say "This is just as good as it used to be" or even "Its still pretty close"

Its not. Its not even close lol.

I got like five exotic weapons when I logged in last night, from exotic weapon bounties I abandoned a while ago (I abandoned them because I already had them).

Are exotic shards worth anything now?

You can use the exotic shards to upgrade your Yr 1 exotics to Yr 2 I believe, along with legendary marks.

How did you find the abandoned exotic bounty quests?

Personally I decided to wait since no Exp is gained and who knows how much those quests give out.

ocean

Banned
Could someone patient enough give me an explanation on the state of PvP at the moment, and where it's going (if possible to make such a call)?

@Zoba? @Anyone?

Last time I got remotely heavy into PvP auto-rifles got nerfed. Suros got nerfed something awful but apparently it didn't end there.

I stopped playing before TDB dropped.

Also, for the devs ITT, when the hell did Bungie give people access to the companion app API? That's fuckin huge.
Dude you need an app. Loadouts changed the game, for real. Having a "Crucible" or "Void Burn" loadout and just sending it to whatever character you want without nasty trips to the Tower = sogood.

As for state of PvP? Wait and see. We haven't gotten the new subclasses or Exotics or weapon perks and don't fully know the map flows yet so it's currently a clusterfuck of improvisation and "oh let me try this out now!"

so far I finished the gunslinger quest. not too bad. The defender quest was easy when I realized that the bubble thing only works in PVP. I just put on Armentarium and went to town. for the strike I would just drop bubbles on folks. alot easier once I realized my kills counted too. The striker quest was easy up until the last part and thats when I realized creating 7 orbs in one go was harder than I thought. I would have had it had the randoms not killed the boss when I was at 2/3. they kept killing my majors when I pecked them down to make sure my striker only created like 5 orbs. these are a major pain in the butt, and its not a skill problem.

Woke up for Gunsmith at reset, nothing, had the quest show up but nothing at the gunsmith.

Went to work at 9am, came here to check, still nothing...

Bungie Pls...

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Wow cant believe Bungie actually made the shotguns as useless as before. What the fuck.

I wish people would stop saying this. Shotguns are still roughly 50% stronger than what they used to be before they got buffed in the first place - when they actually were useless

as in it was the least used special weapon class in the game before it got attention....

they're in a nice middle ground now where you can't pop a bubble underneath omnigul and comfortable give her a 4th horseman ride straight to hell lol

Hedge

I haven't done that Quest yet but if what you need is Orb generation, every kill you get during Radiance will make orbs. Radiance Gjallarhorn is sick. Bonus points if you have Light Beyond Nemesis for extra Orb generation or HotPF for more nades.

My quest text says "Kills during radiance", whatever that means. I thought it meant grenade kills, but people havoc/nova bomb the mobs before my grenade explodes. Maybe I'm just a single player scrub who doesn't deserve a new bond.
Oh well. Back to bounties.

stb

I'm liking this patch so far, feel like I have more than enough to do right now. Haven't even completed but one Quest so far with my Gunslinger. Best of all, got the Fruminous Cloak from Cayde-6 as a gift! :p

Only played one match of Rift; we got wrecked lol. I was getting destroyed by the Mida (and a Felwinters :/)

Agreed. What little we played on Earth Patrol felt fine last night. Only observations:
- fewer orbs? Not sure if this is true, it just felt like orb generation was little slow.
- more orbs to fill super?
- lots of heavy ammo dropped
- lots of green and blue engrams dropped (didn't see any purples)

That Rift match was brutal. We got mercy ruled. It seems like it'll be a fun mode to play. The only mode I enjoy so far is Control, so I'm psyched for the Zones and Rift looks like something else worth doing to mix it up.

Sullichin

You can use the exotic shards to upgrade your Yr 1 exotics to Yr 2 I believe, along with legendary marks.

How did you find the abandoned exotic bounty quests?

They were back on my bounty list and marked as complete, just had to trade the Gunsmith and Ikora Ray for dupe exotics. I got SGA, Invective, Pocket Infinity, and Bad Juju again lol

ocean

Banned
My quest text says "Kills during radiance", whatever that means. I thought it meant grenade kills, but people havoc/nova bomb the mobs before my grenade explodes. Maybe I'm just a single player scrub who doesn't deserve a new bond.
Oh well. Back to bounties.
The wording really makes me think gun kills count. Try it, for science!

If not let's team up in a half hour and get it done together. I need it too.

Lothars

I wish people would stop saying this. Shotguns are still roughly 50% stronger than what they used to be before they got buffed in the first place - when they actually were useless

as in it was the least used special weapon class in the game before it got attention....

they're in a nice middle ground now where you can't pop a bubble underneath omnigul and comfortable give her a 4th horseman ride straight to hell lol
It sucks they nerfed shotguns in PVE for no good reason and are being defended for it.

There's no good reason why they did it and I bet they will be unnerfing it again. It really does make me shake my head.

Top Bottom