• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

LTWood12

Shotgun buff was 100%
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=12607

Shotgun nerf is now 45%
https://www.bungie.net/7_Destiny-Update---09082015/en/News/News?aid=13474

Take base 100 for reference. The buff took it to 200. Bring that down 45% and you're down to 110.

Shotguns aren't 50% stronger than they were; they're 10% stronger. And people are crying because you can no longer kill a Major Knight with 4 bullets in 1.5s but you were never intended to.

Shotguns were killing Majors quicker than literally any other weapon class - including Snipers, Fusion Rifles, Machine Guns and Rocket Launchers - by a very significant margin.

I don't understand how people think removing a broken element that completely trivialized Majors - which are supposed to mean something and pose a threat - is "no fun allowed". If anything, what's not fun is having content where literally every enemy is a joke you melt in a second. I'm glad they fixed this anomaly.

Just wish they'd treated it the same way in a crucible. Shotgun melee should be the strat, not one-shot bullshit.

Was laying in bed doing this calculation last night. Shotguns are effectively barely above what they were in Vanilla Destiny. IE: Garbage in PvE.

rNilla

This place is wild. Nice to see it close to full speed again.

44k%201khz.jpg

So im looking at the database, and notice the new Trials weapons. Liking their design compared to the older ones. Also, their name changed. If anyone wants to take a look, head to the database, Items->weapons-> search for "Adept".
Their attack damage is 310 so it might be the max attack damage for weapons.

Yeah, I can't do anything this week but crucible, this early patch a week in advance was a terrible idea. Or at least how it was executed. Luckily in 2 days I can get a distraction via Mario Maker.

uh if I had to wait 15 hours for a download to actually play taken king I would have literally lost my mind

this was the perfect solution to, frankly, an unprecedented situation:
a basically entirely new game that no one could purchase physically, and everyone had to download at the same time.

this got the huge terrible download out of the way and rewarded us with a crapload of awesome stuff to do while we wait.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
How do I fully upgrade my subclass if its already fully upgraded? :lol

Also I've got like 200+ or more Blue orbs these past weeks and not one has turned into a Legendary. Cryptarch being a bitch again.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
We will have to agree to disagree. Everything that made the Hawkmoon top-tier is gone now? Yeah, ok, lol.

Explain how they ARE NOT gone then

weapons are stronger close range that weren't before
at mid range the damage drop off is severe to say the least - it can't bang with pulse rifles at all
long range? don't even try it

hawkmoon is a slightly longer range run of the mill handcannon right now that happens to hit luck in the chamber twice

the gun was best at hitting people like a truck at any range and sometimes harder than that

now, up close their are things that hit harder and everywhere else it loses its power

its nowhere near what it used to be compared to everything else in the game

Is the level 25 boost thing available yet?

I dont believe so. Its also supposed to outfit you with appropriate gear. so it wont be available until 9/15 because they are not giving new weapons yet. Suros pack only game the emblem and shader but not the new guns. next week I guess

Afrocious

uh if I had to wait 15 hours for a download to actually play taken king I would have literally lost my mind

this was the perfect solution to, frankly, an unprecedented situation:
a basically entirely new game that no one could purchase physically, and everyone had to download at the same time.

this got the huge terrible download out of the way and rewarded us with a crapload of awesome stuff to do while we wait.

Lol it's good to see you're still in DestinyGAF.

Also I agree. I think people fail to see how releasing everything with TTK would've messed shit up for everyone. Waiting for 18gb of changes was awful for a lot of folks as we witnessed in this thread. So now that Bungie has given us a week to download it, we're also given time to check out some of the functional changes and get used to them.

How do I fully upgrade my subclass if its already fully upgraded? :lol

Also I've got like 200+ or more Blue orbs these past weeks and not one has turned into a Legendary. Cryptarch being a bitch again.

That needs to be fixed. You'll have to leave the tower and return so it can reload the area. That should get you your complete quest.

I got killed by Hawkmoon 3 times last night,
I got killed by Thorn 4 times last night,
I got killed by Necrochasm like 5 times last night

After TTK rolls around, I will need to Hard Crota to get a Crux

harrytang

I've got a 180 warlock bond from ikora ray.

is that equipable? edit - answer = yes

shotgun range nerf is something i'm really enjoying. i keep shooting people at my old ranges and doing like 32 dmg. really need to be close now for the OHK.

scout rifles are where it's at for me. rolling with the Trials one last night and mida today. looks like im back to scout/shotty from HC/sniper

Shotguns were killing Majors quicker than literally any other weapon class - including Snipers, Fusion Rifles, Machine Guns and Rocket Launchers - by a very significant margin.

I don't understand how people think removing a broken element that completely trivialized Majors - which are supposed to mean something and pose a threat - is "no fun allowed". If anything, what's not fun is having content where literally every enemy is a joke you melt in a second. I'm glad they fixed this anomaly.

Shotguns should kill Majors faster than any other gun, because to be effective you have to be in that major's face! If you're going to rush headlong into a major, particularly in an end-game activity, you're taking a major risk. Shotguns were effective enough to do that.

They were too strong. But a nerf back down to practically vanilla levels is excessive, especially when shotguns got *another* global range nerf.

Most guns in Destiny feel "rewarding", "satisfying" or "enjoyable." Shotguns in House of Wovles felt damned fun. Especially making grinding Dragon strikes fun again. So that's why the reaction is "no fun allowed".

I think they took a hit because of the new strikes. Nightfalls no longer boot to orbit and they're trying to get us out of a camping mentality. The new strike demo'd has lots of adds from all over in arenas. They want to push us into the action. They want us to sweat that instead of feeling like it's going to be okay. That's why they're doing it. Wish they'd said that, though.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I dont believe so. Its also supposed to outfit you with appropriate gear. so it wont be available until 9/15 because they are not giving new weapons yet. Suros pack only game the emblem and shader but not the new guns. next week I guess

Tempted to reroll a character. Its 34 now tho.
What to do.. what to do..

Shotgun Calc is fairly simple. x * 2 * 0.55 = 1.1x
x is original base
2 is 100% buff
0.55 is 45% nerf
1.1x is 10% buff from original base, down from 100%

My opinion on a shotgun PvE sweet spot would have been 1.33, or 33% buff from original base which is 1.33

2 * y = 1.33
y = 1.33/2 = 0.665 = 66.5%, which means a 33.5% nerf would have attained.

After the original buff, shotguns turned into high risk, high reward and were super fun to use. They went from nearly non-existent in PvE to a near 50/50 option between that and black hammer/spear, for me. In PoE especially, I don't think I could have survived many missions without it, and it forced us to be aggressive at times instead of "hide/camp here and shoot from afar, every time". Now they're nearly back to high risk, probably no reward from death. Most majors up close can kill you easily especially with a burn or lightswitch. Yes, 100% was somewhat too much, but to say it was 90% too much is way overboard. So I'll stand with my statement that dropping the original buff from 100% down in the range of 25% to 50% I'd agree with, with 33% being my favorite.

Tovarisc

Not sure which I hate more, Omnigul or random players doing weekly. Most are super scared to attack her and do damage so you end up solo killing her 1mm at the time.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
My Warlock level 12 still can't access pre 2.0 Legendary or Exotic weapons/gear until level 20.

Only thing I can is the Strangers Rifle at level 16. Oddly I had the Rare version but its converted into Legendary without the need to complete the mission.

Edit: Strangers Rifle can be ascended to Year 1 as well.

gspec

Shotguns should kill Majors faster than any other gun, because to be effective you have to be in that major's face! If you're going to rush headlong into a major, particularly in an end-game activity, you're taking a major risk. Shotguns were effective enough to do that.

They were too strong. But a nerf back down to practically vanilla levels is excessive, especially when shotguns got *another* global range nerf.

Most guns in Destiny feel "rewarding", "satisfying" or "enjoyable." Shotguns in House of Wovles felt damned fun. Especially making grinding Dragon strikes fun again. So that's why the reaction is "no fun allowed".

I think they took a hit because of the new strikes. Nightfalls no longer boot to orbit and they're trying to get us out of a camping mentality. The new strike demo'd has lots of adds from all over in arenas. They want to push us into the action. They want us to sweat that instead of feeling like it's going to be okay. That's why they're doing it. Wish they'd said that, though.

I agree.

E92 M3

Exactly - shotguns made running the same strikes very enjoyable. No one cares about taking 30 seconds to kill 1 ultra. People want to have fun with their toys.

Bungie overdid the nerf and there is no question about it. I expect a reversal by the time Year 3 comes out.

I thought Crux was no longer a requirement for Necro?

Or was I dreaming?

Dreaming lol

Lee

Does anyone know if Vanguard has a rank 25 questline like the factions do? My factions are all around 10 but my Vanguard is 27. Hoping there is something there but probably not.

Skele7on

Banned
Exactly - shotguns made running the same strikes very enjoyable. No one cares about taking 30 seconds to kill 1 ultra. People want to have fun with their toys.

Bungie overdid the nerf and there is no question about it. I expect a reversal by the time Year 3 comes out.

Dreaming lol

that's good.

EL CUCO

My Warlock level 12 still can't access pre 2.0 Legendary or Exotic weapons/gear until level 20.

Only thing I can is the Strangers Rifle at level 16. Oddly I had the Rare version but its converted into Legendary without the need to complete the mission.
Thanks alot for checking! Interesting about the Strangers Rifle. Glad I kept mine around.

Top Bottom