• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

Deku Tree

If there's one thing 343 does way better than Bungie, it's live commentary. Obviously DeeJ and Lars aren't commentators and the Red Bull stream looked like an impromptu sort of thing to begin with. Nevertheless, they could have at least gotten the highlights and kills to sync up. Half the time the Spark runner wasn't on camera when it was scored. Bannerfall and Frontier look amazing, but they did a lackluster job of selling it and it ultimately ended up being awkward as hell.

Bravo, Golden Boy and the other casters for Halo can talk over a dog taking a shit and I'd get hyped.

They needed those guys to try to save Reach!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Faster, absolutely, but I don't think they have the side to side acceleration that the other classes possess.

I don't think that matters much. Especially in the smaller maps. A top level skating Titan is nothing to mess with. Probably the best example of flashiness in the game.

Namikaze1

Dammit. So close. I'm keeping it but dammit I was close. Finally got around to rerolling my HB. Got Ambush, Hidden Hand, and Unfliching. The rest are sucky ass perks.

zewone

I hate all of you with LDRs. I was barely lucky to have one drop before TDB stock disappeared, but the one I had on my old account with Clown Cartridge was way better. Nothing like a Sniper with 8 rounds.

Ahem... here's just 3 of my LDRs

SLR10
Take a Knee (lol)
Field Scout
Outlaw
SwmY3na.jpg
Ambush
Unflinching
Field Scout
Outlaw
And the best for last, my pride and joy in PVP

Shortgaze
Spray & Play
Lightweight
Final Round

ocean

Banned
Faster, absolutely, but I don't think they have the side to side acceleration that the other classes possess.
That's where they shine though. Skating and using Shoulder Charge makes them the fastest and most maneuverable class when played at a high level.

What limits their PvP appeal is the lack of a ranged super, a grenade with tracking or proximity damage like Arc/Fire bolt, and a terribly useless melee. I don't think it's strictly about the movement itself, but rather the lack of compelling abilities on the skill tree.

Bladedancers have: QuickDraw (best PvP perk), a one-hit melee (technically from the back only but it's easy to one shot with a side stab), and a melee where they retain control over their grenade, move super quickly, gain 2x health. They can also go invisible and use their super at a (short but useful) range with Razor's Edge.

Gunslingers have arguably the best PvP super: long range, precision, and will multi kill grouped targets. They have a long distance melee. Interesting grenades, buffs to weapon stability, aerial domination with their tight precise jumps...

Sunsingers are beast. Superburn grenades with proximity tag, Viking Funeral for ridiculous health buff, melee with instant shield and long range, crazy OP super.

Voidwalkers have blink, a long melee which feeds them health, tracking grenades, a ranged super...

Titans' PvP handicap is not a "oh add Blink and there's parity" deal. The entire perk tree is lackluster for PvP compared to the other classes. No Buff on melee hit, no tagging grenades, no skill tree buffs to ADS speed or stability or DoT damage, nothing.

Some great players like Unstable or AEGabriel can wreck with a Titan, but these guys would wreck with anything. Player skill aside, the Titan ability tree just doesn't do anything to help your PvP game.

Namikaze1

Since folks are talking about LDR, here are the two I own:

I wish the second one had Ambush.

Top LDR:
Ambush
Unflinching
Field Scout
Clown Cartridge

Bottom LDR:
Tacsys (switched to Longview SR10)
Unflinching
Field Scout
Final Round

X-Frame

That's where they shine though. Skating and using Shoulder Charge makes them the fastest and most maneuverable class when played at a high level.

What limits their PvP appeal is the lack of a ranged super, a grenade with tracking or proximity damage like Arc/Fire bolt, and a terribly useless melee. I don't think it's strictly about the movement itself, but rather the lack of compelling abilities on the skill tree.

Bladedancers have: QuickDraw (best PvP perk), a one-hit melee (technically from the back only but it's easy to one shot with a side stab), and a melee where they retain control over their grenade, move super quickly, gain 2x health. They can also go invisible and use their super at a (short but useful) range with Razor's Edge.

Gunslingers have arguably the best PvP super: long range, precision, and will multi kill grouped targets. They have a long distance melee. Interesting grenades, buffs to weapon stability, aerial domination with their tight precise jumps...

Sunsingers are beast. Superburn grenades with proximity tag, Viking Funeral for ridiculous health buff, melee with instant shield and long range, crazy OP super.

Voidwalkers have blink, a long melee which feeds them health, tracking grenades, a ranged super...

Titans' PvP handicap is not a "oh add Blink and there's parity" deal. The entire perk tree is lackluster for PvP compared to the other classes. No Buff on melee hit, no tagging grenades, no skill tree buffs to ADS speed or stability or DoT damage, nothing.

Some great players like Unstable or AEGabriel can wreck with a Titan, but these guys would wreck with anything. Player skill aside, the Titan ability tree just doesn't do anything to help your PvP game.

Here is a great post on the Destiny sub-reddit regarding class balance when it comes to Titans from Pwadigy:

"I'm sorry, this thread is downright wrong.

any PvP player can tell you that anything outside of Sunsinger and bladedancer aren't competitive. Yes, there is one good player who runs striker and does well in tournaments, AEgabriel. And there are very, very, very, very few void-walkers and gunslingers. Defender Titan has not done well in any competitive tournament.

I'm talking players who are so good, that they only play good players in sweaties. All of them are blade-dancer and sunsinger. Except one striker Titan (He uses Titan skating and shoulder-charge for mobility, others have tried this, but the learning curve is so high compared to reward that it doesn't work out).

Bolt grenades are objectively more competitive than other grenades. They are more versatile.

Flame-shield is the best melee, hands down. Mechanic for mechanic.

this kind of thread is bad for the PvP community
It's blatant misinformation.

Any time you have variation that is not horizontal, you will have something that is better than another. If the composite parts do not offer enough horizontal alternatives, but are instead merely vertical lessers, then the entire whole is lesser.

Likewise, tit-for-tat, the classes are not equal.

High-level PvP (best against best) stabilizes on versatility. If a grenade can do more consistently with less interfering input from another player, it is a better grenade.

Most players aren't familiar with this kind of play, as this game has no custom lobbies. But I'm talking about the kind of play where even trip-mines and Lightning grenades end up being too inflexible.

In case you were wondering, the competitive showing in tournaments looks approximately something like this:

45% Bladedancer
45% Sunsinger (note: ram is generally forbidden in competitive matches)
4% Voidwalker
2% Gunslinger
4% Striker
Pub-stomping is entirely different (6v6 lists). But when you distill the game down to the best, you have only a couple classes that maintain flexibility.

This is what we call a meta, and there is room in our meta for a decent Titan class. Bungie just has to give it a few more competitive options

Please, don't be another player suggesting that everything is equal with vague arguments like "each has their own strengths and weaknesses." This is merely pandering to an ideal that we think should be true. In reality, we can objectively compare the classes. We have a subreddit for this called /r/crucibleplaybook[2] . And we generally look at this stuff in more detail.
The general consensus on classes is as follows:

Blade-dancer: Competitive grenade. High mobility. Decent Melee. Best Possible side-perks (QD). Solid Super

Gunslinger: No competitive grenade. Decent Mobility. Decent Melee. Underwhelming side-perks. Best Super

Void-walker: decently competitve grenade. Decent Mobility. Strong Melee. Decent Side-perks. Decent Super

Sunsinger: Best Grenade. Low mobility. Best Melee. Solid side-perks. Decent Super.

Striker: No Competitive grenade. Highest Mobility. Bad melee. Bad side-perks. Decent Super

Defender: No competitive grenade. High speed, low mobility. Bad melee. Bad side-perks. Bad super.

Side-note: Supressor grenades are bad. they are easy to blink and move out of. Also, effectiveness with and against a super is the last thing you look at when analyzing a sub-class.
EDIT: soz @ OP for tanking this thread, I had Ram and flame-shield."

Kyoufu

So you get 5 motes and 5 strange coins per faction rank up as well as more frequent drops from other activities.

You won't however, get 27 per week from weeklies anymore. I'm OK with this.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
We, at least Kal and I are talking about being the fastest. Titans are objectively the fastest. If it were talking about which class is overall best for PVP, no doubt it's bladedancer.

This talk reminds me of back in high school when people use to talk about cars. Some cars are faster going straight while some cars are faster with turns and such.

Gritesh

Why is it that I can't find a single group to do:
Poe 32
VOG hard mode
Crotas end normal

Running crucible for days on end is getting kinda boring now and I feel like I'm stuck at 30 now..

Finally beat skolas for the first time. The final round was a mess and we thought about wiping during the first two minutes of the round because we had two of us die at the same time.

Frenden

Banned
Poe 32
VOG hard mode
Crotas end normal

Running crucible for days on end is getting kinda boring now and I feel like I'm stuck at 30 now..

This is the absolute nadir of activity. We're weeks from a content drop and most folks have exhausted the current activities.

When the new content hits things will be bustling again.

GutZ31

We, at least Kal and I are talking about being the fastest. Titans are objectively the fastest. If it were talking about which class is overall best for PVP, no doubt it's bladedancer.

This talk reminds me of back in high school when people use to talk about cars. Some cars are faster going straight while some cars are faster with turns and such.

True.
You would use a specialty car for the task at hand.

For handling, Hunter is you fast and accurate corner jumping master.
dossier-sport-peugeot-208-t16-pikes-peak.jpg

Titan on the other hand is straight up speed, and if you get good with it, even changing directions mid jump with shoulder charge is possible.
But over all, the titan is all about speed.
the-history-of-drag--1_600x0w.jpg

Kalamari

Hmm, maybe I should work on my skating and see how it works in Crucible. I have always been a rushing player and it gets me killed more often than not, but maybe skating and shoulder charge is what I'm looking for.

Also, that Bannerfall map looks amazing, nice open areas without too much clutter and obstacles, it should be a map with a variety of different approaches to encounter enemies.

Currently finding out that drunk iron banner is not producing the goods.
Thought i'd be more relaxed, less stressed, i'ts actually the opposite, can't aim for shit, shouting at the top of my lungs, almost 3am, sorry neighbours.

ich00

Poe 32
VOG hard mode
Crotas end normal

If we can find a 3rd for PoE I'd run that with you.

ocean

Banned
Hmm, maybe I should work on my skating and see how it works in Crucible. I have always been a rushing player and it gets me killed more often than not, but maybe skating and shoulder charge is what I'm looking for.

Also, that Bannerfall map looks amazing, nice open areas without too much clutter and obstacles, it should be a map with a variety of different approaches to encounter enemies.
AEGabriel on Twitch. He's streaming right now if you want to see the only competitive Titan and how he moves.

Definity

Been gone playing mad max and not keeping up with the thread. Does the next patch also contain the weapon rebalance or just the quest stuff?

Currently finding out that drunk iron banner is not producing the goods.
Thought i'd be more relaxed, less stressed, i'ts actually the opposite, can't aim for shit, shouting at the top of my lungs, almost 3am, sorry neighbours.

the trick is just the right amount of tipsy for the steady hands effect

Top Bottom