• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OTForever29| The Season Finale

blackflag

Well that launch trailer kinda hyped me up. Really wasn't feeling it until now. I have a week to get those gold chests for my year 1 completionist thingy. Maybe I'll do it tonight.

Izuna

Banned
1qPcWxm.gif

LOLOLOL.

That shit was fucking insane. Trials Virgin and went 9-0. izunadono and a guy called dezity did the hard work but man what a ride. We had 1 match quit before we started and another team half way through a match quit leaving 1 guy.

Time for a partay!

8bsCA6.jpg

You listened and learnt 8 weeks of strats so quickly whilse fucking people up with the IB, you did work man.

border

What is everyone doing in Destiny, during all this downtime before The Taken King?

It seems like there's nothing fruitful to be accomplished anymore. No point in finding cool Legendaries to re-roll - they will be useless soon. No point in leveling up the Exotics I haven't touched. No point in bumping up my House of Judgment rep since they've said they are jettisoning Prison of Elders.

It doesn't feel like there is much left to do right now.

The only thing that occupies me is doing the daily Public Event, just so I can have a bunch of XP banked when TTK finally comes out.

Well that launch trailer kinda hyped me up. Really wasn't feeling it until now. I have a week to get those gold chests for my year 1 completionist thingy. Maybe I'll do it tonight.

I've been feeling it but the hype train is in over drive now, shit I'm stoked on it now, feels real now that we're so close.

Gonna miss trials but the new crucible modes should tide me over until it returns.

darthbob

What is everyone doing in Destiny, during all this downtime before The Taken King?

It seems like there's nothing fruitful to be accomplished anymore. No point in finding cool Legendaries to re-roll - they will be useless soon. No point in leveling up the Exotics I haven't touched. No point in bumping up my House of Judgment rep since they've said they are jettisoning Prison of Elders.

The only thing that occupies me is doing the daily Public Event, just so I can have a bunch of XP banked when TTK finally comes out.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

Most of us are just passing the time with Trials, the occasional Iron Banner maybe, and dailies and Nightfalls.

There really isn't much to do that's fun at the moment. :/

GhaleonEB

I'm running the daily each day to slowly level my Ghallahorn, because why not, and to nudge my Cryptarch rank up toward the next level. But that's it; otherwise I'm working on a home project and taking a break from the game. I've already dismantled all my excess legendary gear, mats ready to dump for faction rep.

Come the 8th I'll restart a character and go through the earlier content in the new 2.0 build.

Deku Tree

Does anyone get the feeling that Exotic armor stats might become fixed? I mean, the way the exotic blueprint system seems to be, it would unnecessarily complicate things if stats continued to be variable.

Yeah I've been saying that. I do think so. I think each armor piece will have a fixed stat for everyone. Then they have the options to bump up one or the other stat in the upgrade tree.

Trials fans/veterans, I'd like a little adivce.

I'm struggling a little bit with how to approach Trials. It's an Endgame Elite of the Elite PvP mode, and I get that. I've never been a huge competitive PvP guy, but I really like the appeal of it. The loot is best of the best, and it's a thrilling mode to be working hard with your team. I know I need to improve and have been working on just that. I've read a bunch, watched tips videos and grinded for the best gear. I brought my average K/D up from 1.13 to this month's K/D of 2.0., but I still suuuuuuuuck at Trials

I lost 7 rounds in a row last night. In a row. We had some close rounds, but we didn't win a single game. I'm fine with losing some, even a lot. But it was brutal to not win a single one.

I played with Pvt Hudson and he had some sage advice once we finished, which is that Trials is what Trials is. Don't beat yourself up for failing to the best of the best. It takes time to learn the map, learn your team, etc. And that helped a lot. He also said for us average players, having a good/great guy on the team will really help us shine. It takes the pressure off and you can do as good as you normally would.

What I'm struggling with is this: I feel like I've gotten a lot better. And while it's one thing to ask for a carry to Mercury as a first time. I'm realizing that even improved, I basically need a carry for 5 wins. And that's not sustainable if I want to keep getting Trials gear. I can't ask for a carry every week, nor do I want to. I want to contribute, even if I'll never be the best on the team.

• So do I keep trying in Trials directly or keep practicing in non-Trials modes?
  • What are the stats of guys who aren't amazing but still do Trials regularly?
  • Should I give up on playing Trials specifically go to get gear? 
  • Who do I ask to team up with when it seems unless I have a ringer, I'm doomed to losses?
  • Is Trials even for me?
So, any advice, thoughts, o Trials champs?

Deku Tree

What do you mean by that? Where did they say they are "jettisoning Prison of Elders"?

I just do what I want for fun. Haven't been playing much lately though.

Still going crazy with ranking factions. 2 weeks till TK which means at least 4 faction packages per faction. Plus a public event per day for the package.

I worked towards the year 1 completion of Triumph. I think i may take a break before TTK. jump back into it hard when it comes out

Kalamari

Becoming a skating legend, a School of Hawk Pro Skater.

Trials stuff

Playing with a regular set of people is very helpful. It lets all parties sort of learn the strengths and weaknesses of each other. Plus, you learn how each other communicate.

For example, I play very aggressive, and can usually manage a double kill within the first 15 seconds of the round. Though, I'll likely tie the 2nd guy.

However, if my teammate doesn't know how I do this, chances are I've died, and the two enemies have been rezzed putting US at the disadvantage.

noomi

Mostly crucible and Grimoire grinding, some raiding and nightfalls here and there. Also playing some other games to keep occupied :)

Recently beat journey, played some far cry 4, and now I'm going though ori and the blind forest.

Ambitious

Could someone please help us with Skolas? We've been trying for quite a few hours now and one of us had to leave. We're at the last round. PSN: ps_flocki

I'm struggling a little bit with how to approach Trials. It's an Endgame Elite of the Elite PvP mode, and I get that. I've never been a huge competitive PvP guy, but I really like the appeal of it. The loot is best of the best, and it's a thrilling mode to be working hard with your team. I know I need to improve and have been working on just that. I've read a bunch, watched tips videos and grinded for the best gear. I brought my average K/D up from 1.13 to this month's K/D of 2.0., but I still suuuuuuuuck at Trials

I lost 7 rounds in a row last night. In a row. We had some close rounds, but we didn't win a single game. I'm fine with losing some, even a lot. But it was brutal to not win a single one.

I played with Pvt Hudson and he had some sage advice once we finished, which is that Trials is what Trials is. Don't beat yourself up for failing to the best of the best. It takes time to learn the map, learn your team, etc. And that helped a lot. He also said for us average players, having a good/great guy on the team will really help us shine. It takes the pressure off and you can do as good as you normally would.

What I'm struggling with is this: I feel like I've gotten a lot better. And while it's one thing to ask for a carry to Mercury as a first time. I'm realizing that even improved, I basically need a carry for 5 wins. And that's not sustainable if I want to keep getting Trials gear. I can't ask for a carry every week, nor do I want to. I want to contribute, even if I'll never be the best on the team.

• So do I keep trying in Trials directly or keep practicing in non-Trials modes?
  • Who do I ask to team up with when it seems unless I have a ringer, I'm doomed to losses?
  • Is Trials even for me?

As a joe average who occasionally wrecks some rounds as much as scrubbing them, I'd put trials at 1/3 Skill 1/3 luck and the most important 1/3rd Playing well as a team. With a regular 3 you'll get to Mercury at some-point.

I've played with maomao pretty much every week and we seem to know what the other will do by now, as drizz probably does with unstable and wicked etc etc

Personally I'd stick with it I have, much to teammates chagrin at some points, no doubt :d

Edit winning or losing a match/round is down to the smallest things, try to eradicate any bad habits etc..mine is I've got terrible concentration levels and always switch off which at this stage in life is probably stuck

border

What do you mean by that? Where did they say they are "jettisoning Prison of Elders"?

I wish I could tell you -- it was somewhere in the many Game Informer infodumps. The gist of it is that (like previous raids), none of the Prison activities will be updated with new level 40 rewards.

• Is Trials even for me?

Here's my thoughts as someone e who plays trials quite a bit to varying degrees of success.
1. Any practice is good but practice in trials or elimination is better because the game mode is so different than any other in Destiny right now. Elimination requires more thoughtful play than say skirmish where you can go full Rambo
2. I've played 617 matches with a 1.5 k/d and a 60% win rate.
3. If it is something you enjoy don't give up. For me trials has the highest highs and lowest lows that Destiny has to offer.
4. Ringers aren't necessary but are very helpful. There are many very strong players on Gaf: Drizzay, Rubenov, Unstable, Falifax, Recks, and so forth. They are all great guys and if you get the opportunity to play with them you'll learn a lot.
5. Only you can answer this question. If you have fun then yes, if not then no. I recommend you try it some more. It will be gone for a while when TTK drops so take advantage while you can.

I hate everyone who reached 9-0 in trials or ever reach anything 8 on Trials

I tried 3 weekends and never made it past 5 max

I can't wait for 2.0 to nerf the fuck out of Thorn

Just getting back into the game myself. Started playing it a bunch again this past week. Mainly playing solo IB and strike playlists just to get back into the groove of things. Need to start grouping up with GAF again after my long break since that was always fun. Have HM Crota and Skolas to do for my triumph thing, but not sure if I'm going to bother since it's just an emblem. It's good to be playing this game again.

Izuna

Banned

I exclusively use NLB... Thorn is good but, it conditions people to keep their head out thinking they can survive a single headshot at mid range. No one expects to be taken out in less than 0.3s.

Thorn nerf is going to make Ill Will and NLB fucking beast...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
You listened and learnt 8 weeks of strats so quickly whilse fucking people up with the IB, you did work man.

I'll defo do it again. Quite the buzz man. I checked out the exotic left for me and it was my 3rd Suros Regime. >_<

I did get The Messenger (Adept) and bought the Tomorrows Answer. :D

• Is Trials even for me?

Don't take last night as an example of trials as a whole. We had a ton of things against us. I'm not a great strategist, MutanTurtle had never done it before, and I was on my Titan for the first time in forever.

Get back on that horse.

Look at this game:

https://www.bungie.net/en/Legend/PGCR?instanceId=3351761634&characterId=2305843009215003495

Slammin got 23 kills and we still lost.

That night was the first time the three of us had played as a team, and Cloud is pretty damn good. We just couldn't close that game.

We need one more individual to fill up a spot for Hard Skolas that we've been working on for quite a few hours. Already at the Skolas CP, so it's just jumping in and taking the big guy down.

Can join on PSN: ArkkAngel007 or ps_flocki

If it helps, my wife is near about to kill me lol

I exclusively use NLB... Thorn is good but, it conditions people to keep their head out thinking they can survive a single headshot at mid range. No one expects to be taken out in less than 0.3s.

Thorn nerf is going to make Ill Will and NLB fucking beast...
isn't Ill Will a timur's lash clone? how will the meta change cause it to rise to prominence?

SpecX

We need one more individual to fill up a spot for Hard Skolas that we've been working on for quite a few hours. Already at the Skolas CP, so it's just jumping in and taking the big guy down.

Lol, had I stayed same would have happened to me. If looks could kill...

Dunk#7

I can't wait for the changes as I have always had this loadout regardless of map/class:

Scout Rifle
Shotgun
Rocket Launcher

Scout Rifles should be even better at 2.0 (mainly from other weapons being weakened). I love taking out snipers with my scout.

I have a 1.2-1.3 k/d and have been to Mercury roughly 15-20 times without any elite carry individual.

It just takes a solid team all above 1.0 k/d to make it work. You will lose a few, but can usually go flawless with that criteria. Unless you have an elite player anybody well below 1.0 is going to throw off the whole team as many times the first death dictates the battle in trials

I'd rather have a newbie or at least someone that wants the loot take this spot but I can join in a few if needed to just be done w it. Nothing I hate more than folks getting stuck on Skolas.

That's what you get for playing with randoms..
Thought it would be quicker doing 3x weekly with randoms seeing as it is day before reset. Luckily one that I joined was right at the end.

I always jump down, most of the time they follow but when they don't I either run around and kill everything or just suicide to prolong it for them. Both ways make there point
I pushed one group off and died on the other down bottom after killing all but the last minotaur and just watched a stream whilst I was dead.

there is a way to keep bubble going to pop another in time, that sounds sweet

Is there a way to shoot outside while still inside one?

sorry for all the noob questions took a long break not sure of what changes were made to the game

I was a loot cave lover was so heart broken :(

You can get your bubble ready by getting orbs from teammates and/or getting enough kills to fill the super bar. Two Defenders are great for this if you spec with Gift of the Void.

Sadly there is no way to shoot out of the Defender bubble, although you can shoot out of the relic shield bubble in VoG.

I hope bungie revisits all the current strikes and tunes them to match their new goals of less spongy boss encounters.
yes, please, ^this!
also, remove some of the yellow bars from the steps of Undying mind.
yes, i know if you're quick enough, you can just run past them, but sometimes, one is just not quick enough....

Top Bottom