• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Noel Gallagher's first TWO solo albums (1st out Oct 17)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
I watched it last night but not live

It was interesting to watch Noel on a webcam being himself, laid back and very casual

I only now realize after over a decade of interviews, I didn't truly know what his personality was like... I had an idea, but this is very different to just see him shoot the shit with a mate for an hour, quite eye-opening and entertaining.

He doesn't mind Lady Gaga, neither does Liam btw

The guy who formerly hated technology, has an iPad and plays Angry Birds on it

My whole world will never be the same

Meier

Not surprised that the tour listing isn't very extensive. Kicking around flying to either Boston or San Fran...

Added the tour info to the OP and updated the song links.

bill0527

Jesus christ.. I just heard If I Had A Gun.

That's like his best stuff in years.

Its the kind of song where if you can sing it and learn it on the guitar, its guaranteed to get you laid, unless you look like a grotesque troll who hasn't seen the sun in 3 years.

Yes! Now that is a song to get me pumped for the album!

I always liked the clip that was on youtube, but the full song is some fantastic stuff. October can't come soon enough.

Meier

The tickets are a bit steep -- largely due I'm sure because they're all in theatres: $40-$80 it looks like is the standard price. Toronto is $69 at the high end I noticed.

How pissed must Liam be? Noel is playing bigger venues here (much) although I am guessing they're comparable in the UK. Arguably more important though is the fact that The Death.. went in at #9 while I think Beady Eye hasn't even hit the top 30 with any of their tracks and most have been far below that standard. Poor guy.

Edit: Looks like it ended up coming in at 15 although the midweeks were 9th. Still, quite a bit better than Beady Eye to be sure.

Damn I'll be in Thailand when Noel comes to LA and San Francisco. Hmm, Boston on Nov 12. I've never been to Boston so maybe this is a good excuse to go.

Oh yeah, it took me about 20 listens to get over the differences from the soundcheck version, but I'm really loving it. I still love the first time he sings "my eyes have always..followed you around the room." (Yes, I accidentally typed the old lyrics the first time).

Medalion

Banned
Meier said:
The tickets are a bit steep -- largely due I'm sure because they're all in theatres: $40-$80 it looks like is the standard price. Toronto is $69 at the high end I noticed.

How pissed must Liam be? Noel is playing bigger venues here (much) although I am guessing they're comparable in the UK. Arguably more important though is the fact that The Death.. went in at #9 while I think Beady Eye hasn't even hit the top 30 with any of their tracks and most have been far below that standard. Poor guy.

Edit: Looks like it ended up coming in at 15 although the midweeks were 9th. Still, quite a bit better than Beady Eye to be sure.
Liam isn't too bothered from what I can tell in interviews, he likes playing the smaller venues at first.

Casp0r

Banned
Yay, I keep forgetting there are more people out there that like Noel Gallagher!

Internet is awesome. Noel is awesome. Everything is awesome.

Medalion

Banned
Casp0r said:
Yay, I keep forgetting there are more people out there that like Noel Gallagher!

Internet is awesome. Noel is awesome. Everything is awesome.
I like Oasis to be clear

I love all the Gallaghers, including the comedian

Ristlager

Really like the songs so far, nothing revelutionary, but thats for the next album. But where has the bridges gone? I don't think I have heard a bridge in his songs for a loooong time, and that trend continues on this album :(

There should atleast be a couple of songs that goes
Verse, bridge, ref, verse, bridge, ref, guitar solo, bridge, ref..

bill0527

Medalion said:
I love all the Gallaghers, including the comedian

THAT Gallagher is one of the most insufferable douchebag human beings walking planet Earth.

The guy is just a miserable fuck and he's pissed that he doesn't get the same recognition that other legacy comedians have gotten.

Ezduo

Banned
Hmm, still not feeling it. Be Here Now was the last Oasis album I really liked. After that there's maybe one track an album that I enjoy (say, Roll It Over or Shock of the Lightning) while the rest are pretty forgettable. If that trend continues though there will be at least one track on this album that I'll like. Just have to find it.

Too bad Liam and Noel hate each other so much though. Early Oasis albums are to my understanding basically Noel solo albums anyway but I much prefer Liam's vocal style. It's much more distinctive and snarly opposed to Noel's...I want to say generic but there's a better term out there for it. It just isn't as interesting to me as Liam's, almost like you could replace Noel with another singer and the music wouldn't be much different but I couldn't imagine anyone else singing Champagne Supernova or Slide Away.

Meier

Really digging What a Life. Very strong Madchester influence! I wonder if he'll end up doing the cup anthem for shits and giggles?

Medalion

Banned
Noel's official youtube page has posted the proper perm link for IF I Had A Gun as others are being taken down one by one for copyright violation

Still nothing yet for What a Life

I shoulda figured the most Noel would be comfortable moving in a dance direction would be a mid to late 80's Manchester dance rock vibe

He's always had his finger on the pulse a bit better than the others, I feel like his Chemical Bros collaborations were evidence of that. Although there's been a post-punk / synth pop revival and influence since the noughties began, its still sorta going on really, it definitely sounds more contemporary than If I Had a Gun for example (which I also like, but that had to grow on me first). Can't wait to hear What a Life on the radio when I'm driving... and I can't wait for this album!

Medalion

Banned
If I had a Gun is too slow and reminiscent of recent Oasis to be mainstream enough

This song almost stands a chance but today's interest in really dancey music with autotune, this would get lost in the shuffle

Meier

Updated the links in the OP. Love that he is slowly putting out the songs for us to consume.. gimme more, more, more!

Medalion

Banned
The band breaking up is the best thing from a creativity and release point of view

It seems like these guys output new shit almost every other week

Meier

I came across this interview he did with Chuck Klosterman of Grantland when searching for some reviews on What a Life.. really, really great read. Noel is probably the best interviewee on the planet.

I momentarily get the sense this is never going to become a real interview. But I start to ask a few questions and Gallagher starts answering them. And everything he says is hilarious. I don't even know if this can be properly reflected in a profile, because it's not so much what he says as it is the way he says it; Gallagher just has a naturally comedic, endlessly profane delivery that seems unbound by the parameters of normal conversation. He doesn't even have to try. It just happens. I suppose this might all be premeditated, but that's not how it seems. Gallagher's dialogue is like his music: The straightforward virtuosity is a by-product of its apparent effortlessness.

"At the end of the cycle of Morning Glory, I was hailed as the greatest songwriter since Lennon and McCartney," Gallagher recalls. "Now, I know that I'm not, and I knew I wasn't then. But the perception of everybody since that period has been, 'What the fuck happened to this guy? Wasn't he supposed to be the next fucking Beatles?' I never said that I was the greatest thing since Lennon and McCartney … well, actually, I'm lying. I probably did say that once or twice in interviews.

I liked Klosterman's 10th footnote too. I could probably quote the whole damn interview -- it's truly a must read.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6937414/noel-gallagher-oasis

p.s. fuck those people for not listening! They've heard 3 more songs than us.. bastards.

Fjordson

I love If I Had A Gun. What A Life a little less so, but still good! Really can't wait for this record. Think I'm going to have to grab some tickets for that San Francisco show.

Duality said:
I nabbed Row G, right centre floor tickets at Massey Hall.

Each ticket is $100, though. :(
When can I expect to get mine in the mail? You did remember to buy two, right?

Medalion said:
The band breaking up is the best thing from a creativity and release point of view

It seems like these guys output new shit almost every other week
Yeah, aside from that long period where Noel was MIA, it really seems like this might be a pretty good deal for all of us. I really liked Beady Eye's first album (not incredible, but still a strong, solid cd) and I'm really liking how this is shaping up.

Meier

Duality said:
I nabbed Row G, right centre floor tickets at Massey Hall.

Each ticket is $100, though. :(
I got a little fender bender the other day.. I had budgeted $1,500 to fly to Boston or San Fran and get floor seats.. can't do it now. Car repairs suck. :(

Meier

First song on sale in America is If I Had A Gun... I bought it on iTunes since the charts there are note influential. It is at 24 now on the Alternative chart. Was at 26 when I looked earlier.

iTunes: http://t.co/y6R2tsXi
AmazonMP3: http://t.co/ChtOK1dj

Local rock station has been playing The Good Rebel on a segment called Next Big Thing the past few weeks.

Ristlager

Q magazine gave the album a 4 out of 5 :) and the best part was that they thought aka what a life was the worst song on the album. And since I love that song, I really look forward to this album now.

Medalion

Banned
They probably hated it cuz it was dancey and they don't expect that stuff from Noel, I bet they just wanted to hear more Oasis-y stuff from him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom