• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

kissenger

Banned
subversus said:
depends on settings and resolution you want to play on.

Okay, let's say I want to play on whatever settings and resolution Xbox runs at. Would my 9800GTX give me a significant improvement in frame rate under those conditions?

itxaka

Defeatist
Pancakes said:
Maybe I'm missing something but couldn't you just jump through the window?

Holy fucking shit. Mind blown. I was so concentrated on the door and the map that I didn't even saw that the window is broken.

New glasses, sleep or a new brain? Goddam. Thanks man.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
kissenger said:
Okay, let's say I want to play on whatever settings and resolution Xbox runs at. Would my 9800GTX give me a significant improvement in frame rate under those conditions?

I'm pretty sure that a 9800gtx is many times better what the 360 has. In other words I'm fairly certain you'll be able to crank up the settings while having atleast 720p and 30fps, which is what the 360 has I think.

Could be wrong though, don't really know much about that card.

Timber

The stealth AI is by no means perfect, but it's probably the best I've seen from a non-purebred stealth game. The way you get to manoeuvre through the levels means you almost never have to worry about the standard "enemies in closed-off room, learn their movement patterns and sneak past them" idea of stealth. I mean, the fact alone that you can leap silently like 3 meters into the air adds new dimensions to stealth. The Hengsha docks level, for example, I can't at all compare to anything found in MGS or Splinter Cell or other stealth games.

Coxswain said:
Not really; other than the achievement and having Pritchard either call you "Attila the Hun" instead of "Mahatma Gandhi" after the first mission, I don't think it comes up again, aside from maybe one offhand mention that I'm not really in a position to double check.

It's kind of funny, too, (vague ending spoilers)
because in my first playthrough the only people I killed were in the intro, so in the ending I thought that it had taken that into account when Jensen had those couple lines about "Most of the time, didn't I resist the temptation to abuse my power to get things done more quickly?" Much to my surprise, in my second playthrough, I literally killed everybody including every civilian in Detroit and Hengsha, both times through, and he says the exact same thing.
Maybe it just assumes that he's a deluded asshole if you do that.

Edit: Unrelated: They got hugely sloppy on the sidequest design, it's really disappointing. If you don't put points into hacking, there are three sidequests that are, as far as I can tell, just flat-out not completable, before you finish your first visit to Hengsha. That wouldn't be so bad if there weren't only six real sidequests period by that point. The more I play the game (and I still like it a lot, mind you), the more I find that if you try to push the limits or play in a way counter to the way they seem to 'want' you to, the game pushes back, and for the most part, the game wins.
It's a shame, too, because they get it exactly right for about two missions: The first mission is hugely reactive to just about anything you can think to do, and although it's generally a lot shorter, so is the morgue. After that, it's not like the game goes completely linear or anything, and you still have multiple ways to get through the mission itself, but nothing much changes depending on how you complete the thing.

yeah, it's getting pretty obvious to me (psychopath run) that there are a sort of 'invisible walls' in place in terms of a singular story, while still allowing different playstyles.
The sad thing is killing the SWAT team, the entire police station, megan's mom and everyone else doesn't do anything and nobody thinks that this is odd or that you are clearly a delusional psychopath who needs to be stopped.

The 'hacking is required for sidequests' seems to be an extension of those 'walls'. I just feel that these walls should have been able to be blown up as well. There are plenty of passcodes and all though, but when I got to the police station, the code for Penn's office refused to show up, but I know I've gotten it on my Gandi run. At least, I don't think it was told to me.

I guess they had to choose between actually getting it done or becoming a 'forever' title. Like Warren Spector has said before that he feels that he longer has time to create a game where guys in raincoats run around. I'm glad HR is proving him wrong though. It seems that along with Fallout 3 and others, the smart( -er than average) game once again has a future. Even if a brainbuster like Spacechem is out of my league. :p

AEREC

Corky said:
I'm pretty sure that a 9800gtx is many times better what the 360 has. In other words I'm fairly certain you'll be able to crank up the settings while having atleast 720p and 30fps, which is what the 360 has I think.

Could be wrong though, don't really know much about that card.

I believe the xbox 360 has roughly the equivalent of a 7900gt.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
AEREC said:
I believe the xbox 360 has roughly the equivalent of a 7900gt.

Well there we go, the 9800gtx should be able to atleast give you marginally better experience.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
kissenger said:
Hey you guys, I'm thinking of getting this but I need some advice:

Would this run better on my Xbox or on my PC with a 9800GTX/Q6600/4GB Ram?
My brother is playing this on my old gaming PC... which is a 9800GT/Q6600/4gb build, lol. Runs fine at 1366x768 in DX9 with everything cranked up to high and your choice of FXAA or MLAA. Add in the much improved loading times and yeah, much better than on a 360.

kissenger

Banned
Corky said:
Well there we go, the 9800gtx should be able to atleast give you marginally better experience.

Thing is though, the Xbox versions of these games is always more well-optimised than the PC versions. E.g. GTAIV ran better on my Xbox than on my PC.

Baha

kissenger said:
Thing is though, the Xbox versions of these games is always more well-optimised than the PC versions. E.g. GTAIV ran better on my Xbox than on my PC.

[EDIT]Yeah I agree with your example but there are more positive examples of PC > console ports out there imo.

tiff

Banned
Salaadin said:
What game was is with the segmented health bar where each quadrant would regen as long as you didnt completely use it up? Resistance?
Something similar to that wouldve been better than what we got. Ideally, we should be able to upgrade another battery to auto regen.
That's how it works in HR. Any partially used energy bar will regen. The problem is the only things that don't use up energy bars in 1 bar increments is active augs like smart vision, so most of the time you won't have half-filled bars outside of the last one.

Salaadin

tiff said:
That's how it works in HR. Any partially used energy bar will regen. The problem is the only things that don't use up energy bars in 1 bar increments is active augs like smart vision, so most of the time you won't have half-filled bars outside of the last one.

Shit, it does? I probably never even realized it because of the exact reason you pointed out.

I absolutely hate how stealth take downs use up a full energy bar. Its my biggest problem right now....playing stealthy and trying to reserve stun gun ammo has me stuck with a single battery 90% of the time.

Do we ever run into those energy regening bots like in DX1? Yknow, those yellow ones that always show up right after you use up some bio cells? :p

raphier

Banned
You can refill batteries with protein foods and concentrated pills, so far with these have not had any problems. Well, considering my play style, I never shoot or takedown anyone anyway.

garath

Salaadin said:
Shit, it does? I probably never even realized it because of the exact reason you pointed out.

I absolutely hate how stealth take downs use up a full energy bar. Its my biggest problem right now....playing stealthy and trying to reserve stun gun ammo has me stuck with a single battery 90% of the time.

Do we ever run into those energy regening bots like in DX1? Yknow, those yellow ones that always show up right after you use up some bio cells? :p

The way I've been playing it is unless I have a need for multiple batteries (i.e. taking out a room of guys or stealthing through a big section) I just have the one battery. With that approach I have sooo many energy bars and packs I don't even know what to do with them all.

I even only bothered getting one extra battery with praxis points.

Wallach

I feel like the hacking being "required" is only a side effect of them not having AUDs in the game outside of pre-orders. If you have the pre-order thing installed you find AUDs throughout the game, not just the ones you start with. Those just need to be included in the game without the pre-order garbage to fix that problem.

Doesn't fix hacking being an order of magnitude more rewarding than any of the other augs in terms of credits/XP/accessibility though.

Timber

They should have made at least some of the hackable doors destructible. As it stands these doors don't even properly 'become doors' until hacked.

Or add lockpicking like DX1.

There's just too much to hack. And the rewards it yields are too great. Having a code and just being like "fuck it I'll just hack for the xp". The temptation is too strong. Why not make it so that entering codes also nets you xp?

Solo

Yeah, hacking is tedious/monotonous as fuck, and you do SO MUCH of it. I'm only in Singapore and it feels like I've hacked over 500 computers/doors/terminals.

It's odd since the doors have strength ratings as if a specific amount of force could destroy them but even the most flimsy door can take a rocket like its nothing.

Oppo

I'm near the very end of the game now, but I wanted to post about my method for taking down one of the bosses, in case anyone is having trouble.

The third guy. He's just a damage sponge. So I hauled a hacked turret down into the basement with me and left it in front of the elevator. :) I love that you can do that.

Sec0nd

I loved the first 3 Splinter Cell games and I heard this game has a stealth element, is this game for me? ( I have watched gameplay videos and it didn't look very exciting )

raphier

Banned
Sec0nd said:
I loved the first 3 Splinter Cell games and I heard this game has a stealth element, is this game for me? ( I have watched gameplay videos and it didn't look very exciting )
No. If you'd love to combine Splinter cell with an exploration game - Yes.

Derrick01

Banned
Sec0nd said:

I think you can get enough out of stealth to enjoy it. The old splinter cell games were pure stealth though and the games were designed around being as stealthy as possible whereas in this game it's just one of many viable options. It can be pretty satisfying not getting caught though.

Zeliard

Timber said:
They should have made at least some of the hackable doors destructible. As it stands these doors don't even properly 'become doors' until hacked.

Or add lockpicking like DX1.

They combined the Hacking/Lockpicking/Electronics skills from the first game into the all-purpose Hacking: Capture. It was basically a result of combining augs and skills.

It is fairly amusing that the future decided to add doors with mechanical locks. :p

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sec0nd said:

Very much so! Other than the boss battles, you can play through the entire game without being seen by enemies, or by silently taking them down.

It's great fun as a stealth game.

Sec0nd said:
This game has perhaps the best stealth I've ever played. I'm also a huge splinter cell fan, this game stokes that stealth boner dry.

Pete Rock

PortTwo said:
The third guy. He's just a damage sponge. So I hauled a hacked turret down into the basement with me and left it in front of the elevator. :) I love that you can do that.
I tried the same thing on the second boss and was completely dismayed to find the turret still located on the minimap, behind the now locked doors, still making noise and panning left to right as I was mercilessly destroyed over and over. Being able to keep it for the third boss was sweet redemption, although it made it a relatively trivial encounter. Also as others have said, spamming frag mines drains the bosses near instantly and that took me way too long to figure out.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
garath said:
The way I've been playing it is unless I have a need for multiple batteries (i.e. taking out a room of guys or stealthing through a big section) I just have the one battery. With that approach I have sooo many energy bars and packs I don't even know what to do with them all.

I even only bothered getting one extra battery with praxis points.
I've been doing the same thing, with the same result. I only use energy bars and packs if I'm about to use multiple augs like running in cloaked to do takedowns/typhoon.

Solo

i-Lo said:
Any way to ensure that I do not miss out on any of the side quests on my first play-through?

Talk to everyone NOT named Hobo, Civilian, Police Officer, etc. If they've got an actual name, they've probably got a quest.

ctrayne

Anyone else catch the arguing couple in Jensen's apartment complex? In the hallway, listen closely at the end of the hall for some interesting dialogue behind the closed door. (Kinda sad.)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
i-Lo said:
Any way to ensure that I do not miss out on any of the side quests on my first play-through?
Unless you play the game without talking to people, it'll be hard to miss most of the side quests. You're likely to stumble onto most of them just by playing.

The key is in talking to fucking EVERYONE. Generic NPCs will even sometimes talk to each other, hinting at things happening elsewhere in the city (which usually means a side quest)

Deadly

Solo said:
Talk to everyone NOT named Hobo, Civilian, Police Officer, etc. If they've got an actual name, they've probably got a quest.
The guy at the bottom of Heng Hua Hotel actually had a name. I figure'd he'd be a quest giver but I never got anything. Did I miss something?

And whaaat, people don't get alarmed or yell for the cops or something when you attack civs? Man I would have knocked out so much more people had I known...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ctrayne said:
Anyone else catch the arguing couple in Jensen's apartment complex? In the hallway, listen closely at the end of the hall for some interesting dialogue behind the closed door. (Kinda sad.)

If you equip the x-ray vision, you can see them.

I wish I had x-ray vision. I'd watch my neighbours all night.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Sotha Sil said:
Will this damn mirror ever get here? A certain landlady's life expectancy might depend on it.
You should read her email.

Mindman

Anyone else noticing a subtle hissing sound during gameplay? It's only during gameplay, not during menus, the pause screen, or anywhere else so it's not my setup. I can turn the sound effects all the way down to eliminate it during gameplay, but it just seems a bit weird that a hissing sound would be included with the game. It's obviously more pronounced wearing headphones to play, which I do. Xbox 360 version.

Top Bottom