• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Coxswain

Wallach said:
I feel like the hacking being "required" is only a side effect of them not having AUDs in the game outside of pre-orders. If you have the pre-order thing installed you find AUDs throughout the game, not just the ones you start with. Those just need to be included in the game without the pre-order garbage to fix that problem.

Doesn't fix hacking being an order of magnitude more rewarding than any of the other augs in terms of credits/XP/accessibility though.
Having the AUDs would keep it from being a roadblock, but it's still sort of treating the symptoms and not the disease. Still, it would be a good idea to patch them in to every version; if and when they make the next game they should overhaul hacking entirely if they intend it to be as important as it is in HR. (Also, just for anyone keeping score, I'm pretty sure level 3 hacking is also a requirement in Acquaintances Forgotten, as you can't completely search the storage locker without getting at the computer. I didn't look too hard for the code, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the dude's apartment or anything.)

toasty_T said:
It's odd since the doors have strength ratings as if a specific amount of force could destroy them but even the most flimsy door can take a rocket like its nothing.
Actually, most standard doors will break if you deal enough damage to them. Of course, there aren't a lot of standard doors in the main mission areas, but you can get into apartments and stuff by using frag grenades as makeshift lockpicks.

BadTaste

Solo said:
Yeah, hacking is tedious/monotonous as fuck, and you do SO MUCH of it. I'm only in Singapore and it feels like I've hacked over 500 computers/doors/terminals.

I got sick of hacking computers at
TYM
, all the emails were the same shit -.-

Wallach

Coxswain said:
Having the AUDs would keep it from being a roadblock, but it's still sort of treating the symptoms and not the disease. Still, it would be a good idea to patch them in to every version; if and when they make the next game they should overhaul hacking entirely if they intend it to be as important as it is in HR. (Also, just for anyone keeping score, I'm pretty sure level 3 hacking is also a requirement in Acquaintances Forgotten, as you can't completely search the storage locker without getting at the computer. I didn't look too hard for the code, but I'm pretty sure it's not in the dude's apartment or anything.)

It'll take a while to figure out if there actually aren't codes for these, really. I'm not actually sure if there really aren't codes for stuff like Bar Tab or Shanghai Justice yet. Frankly I'm not as concerned with that issue as much as how overboard the rewards are for hacking in general.

Timber

The game doesn't do reflective surfaces at all. The broken mirror thing seems to have been born from that limitation. It's pretty cute.

you know you don't need to hack that much depending on how you play

there are only a few places where you need to hack, and they're low level with ways to get the passwords instead.

Enco

The hacking is great fun. Don't get the hate.

Just finished the mission with the investigator
with Michelle
Killing him
felt.. cool? A brilliant mission in my opinion.

Solo

Enco said:
The hacking is great fun. Don't get the hate.

There is too goddamn much of it. If you're the type that feels obligated to open every door/read every computer, you're hacking constantly.

aristotle

Wallach said:
It'll take a while to figure out if there actually aren't codes for these, really. I'm not actually sure if there really aren't codes for stuff like Bar Tab or Shanghai Justice yet. Frankly I'm not as concerned with that issue as much as how overboard the rewards are for hacking in general.

There are codes for everything. It lists all of them by section and location in the official guide. Even the lockers/computers without a personal journal or email that lists the codes, they're built into the game ;)

FatCat

Ugh, for once I didn't buy from the UK (living on the continent) because of a great local offer and of course the game is only in one language. The voice work in French is atrocious, my god.

Enco

Solo said:
There is too goddamn much of it. If you're the type that feels obligated to open every door/read every computer, you're hacking constantly.
I guess it does get quite a lot. You can usually blow doors open though.

For the mission around the investigator one (in your return to Detroit), do you have to go through
Zeke's apartment to get to the hidden bunker?
. I was surprised when I ended up in his apartment. Seemed random to me.

stuminus3

Linkzg said:
they're low level with ways to get the passwords instead.
Eh... no, I think actually we're complaining because it's the opposite, there places you need to get access to with no known ways to get the password instead, so you're boned unless you can hack it. What's worse is that these instances come at the latter end of sidequests so you waste your time doing everything leading up to that moment for nothing. It's a broken system. If you don't put points into hacking, there'll be a point in a sidequest where you'll be asked to hack something, and the game does not respond at all if you can't. You're just left with the sidequest hanging.

The sidequests should only require level 1 hacks if it's the only way to do it, like in the main quests. Or someone should have seriously reconsidered removing such an important item to get around the game being broken for non-hackers and giving it to Gamestop as DLC...

Wallach

aristotle said:
There are codes for everything. It lists all of them by section and location in the official guide. Even the lockers/computers without a personal journal or email that lists the codes, they're built into the game ;)

Sure, but if the game never actually offers the player the code in some fashion, I wouldn't really consider it a valid option. But there are a lot of ways to get codes, some of which are just in the environment so I wouldn't be surprised if people simply haven't found them all yet.

Timber

Enco said:
For the mission around the investigator one (in your return to Detroit), do you have to go through
Zeke's apartment to get to the hidden bunker?
. I was surprised when I ended up in his apartment. Seemed random to me.
You mean when you have to find
Sandobal, Taggart's right hand man?

Zeke is Sandobal's brother so he's protecting him.

Enco

Timber said:
You mean when you have to find
Sandobal, Taggart's right hand man?

Zeke is Sandobal's brother so he's protecting him.
Yup, that's what I meant.

I didn't know that at all :lol

Things are getting pretty confusing.

I've started killing people now. Before it was just one or two guys but now I have zero tolerance for people shooting at me. After everything I've been through, I have the right to pop a bullet in a few heads.

FatCat said:
Ugh, for once I didn't buy from the UK (living on the continent) because of a great local offer and of course the game is only in one language. The voice work in French is atrocious, my god.

Can change language on the pc.

raphier

Banned
MrCompletely said:
This game has perhaps the best stealth I've ever played. I'm also a huge splinter cell fan, this game stokes that stealth boner dry.
nah, it suffers from all the same symptoms as all three games and without shadows. It's actually simpler.

dosasex.jpg

move away that trashbin and he still won't notice you.

Timber

Spoilers for 2nd visit to Hengsha.

I was starting to lose hope that Tong could be related to Tracer. Was really cool reading an email from 'TTong' to his father discussing Hong Kong.

Sotha Sil

FatCat said:

Jensen is ok-ish, but the rest is pretty awful. So disappointed they didn't include the American version on the Blu-ray, as they often do.

Solo

Timber said:
Spoilers for 2nd visit to Hengsha.

I was starting to lose hope that Tong could be related to Tracer. Was really cool reading an email from 'TTong' to his father discussing Hong Kong.

There is more to come...

stuminus3 said:
Eh... no, I think actually we're complaining because it's the opposite, there places you need to get access to with no known ways to get the password instead, so you're boned unless you can hack it. What's worse is that these instances come at the latter end of sidequests so you waste your time doing everything leading up to that moment for nothing. It's a broken system. If you don't put points into hacking, there'll be a point in a sidequest where you'll be asked to hack something, and the game does not respond at all if you can't. You're just left with the sidequest hanging.

The sidequests should only require level 1 hacks if it's the only way to do it, like in the main quests. Or someone should have seriously reconsidered removing such an important item to get around the game being broken for non-hackers and giving it to Gamestop as DLC...

which sidequest are you talking about?

off the top of my head, I don't remember doors or terminals that didn't an alternative to hacking. it could be a passcode on a body, or in a low level computer, or somewhere in the area.

you may be right. I haven't tested it. The one time I got stuck behind a level 5 door, I looked around and found a password. most other times I had the password, but hacked anyway for xp.

right now I'm going through as robocop Jensen with as little sneaking and hacking as possible. I certainly hope there aren't places where you get stuck.

Danj

I finally dealt with my third boss problem, and in the process discovered something which might be useful for anyone else having trouble.

If you have the turret hacking and the strength augmentations, you can hack the turret in the Singapore facility and lug it all the way around to the elevator that goes down to the third boss. As long as you're actually carrying it when you step forward to trigger the cutscene, it ends up set up just in front of the doors and will shoot the shit out of the boss if he comes in range. It's not indestructible of course but it might give struggling players enough of an edge to beat him.

As for myself, the PC version has 99 save slots unlike the console, so I just rolled back to a save just before the biochip recall announcement and redid the stuff, taking care not to go to the LIMB clinic this time. A Typhoon blast plus a hail of lead from my captured turret meant Jaron was dead in no time. I even managed to make room in my inventory for his plasma rifle!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
ctrayne said:
Anyone else catch the arguing couple in Jensen's apartment complex? In the hallway, listen closely at the end of the hall for some interesting dialogue behind the closed door. (Kinda sad.)

One of the reasons I love the script in this game - there are so many incidental guard and bypasser conversations, it really makes the game world a much more real place. I was always a bit reluctant to snipe guards from afar since they would usually be having a conversation about something going on in the world or in that location that was interesting to listen to, once you got closer to them.

Danj said:
As for myself, the PC version has 99 save slots unlike the console, so I just rolled back to a save just before the biochip recall announcement and redid the stuff, taking care not to go to the LIMB clinic this time. A Typhoon blast plus a hail of lead from my captured turret meant Jaron was dead in no time. I even managed to make room in my inventory for his plasma rifle!

You can still go to the clinic and opt not to get a chip. This way you can buy another 2 praxis kits.

Nome

Solo said:

Yep, and by the time you've maxed out hacking, you don't need nukes, and you only need stop worms every once in a while. Every hack is basically just a 20 second long annoyance with no chance of being caught, especially if the red stack thingie is close to your origin and you can just take it over in 2 steps.

I hacked every computer I came across and ended up getting enough XP to max out everything except the stealth enhancement stuff and hacking analyze stuff.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Does the second boss consist of
two robots near the helipad
? If so I don't know what problems it can cause. 1 EMP grenade + 1 burst from a heavy machine gun or even PES. Done.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
subversus said:
Does the second boss consist of
two robots near the helipad
? If so I don't know what problems it can cause. 1 EMP grenade + 1 burst from a heavy machine gun or even PES. Done.
That's not a boss.

Also, you can just turn them off using the security hub. Why waste EMPs?

Zeliard said:
It is fairly amusing that the future decided to add doors with mechanical locks. :p

They got tired of all of these script kiddies hacking their way into their buildings.. so they changed back to physical locks.

Zel3 said:
guys... does the the alarm going off in 'the panic room' count for the foxiest hound achievement?

I fought my way out of that level and still received the foxiest hound achievement after beating the game. Doesn't matter when the alert modes are scripted into the story. You just can't cause one yourself to get the achievement.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
garath said:
Only if you have the robot hacking ability.
Well sure, but why wouldn't you get that aug? :p

Turning robots and turrets to do your bidding is too much fun.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Weird request, but could anyone get me a screenshot of the continue load screen if you start up the game and are currently in the DRB/Antenna mission? It should look like this only it will be on 5 instead of 1:

dxhr2011-08-3015-48-37h728.jpg

luxarific said:
One of the reasons I love the script in this game - there are so many incidental guard and bypasser conversations, it really makes the game world a much more real place. I was always a bit reluctant to snipe guards from afar since they would usually be having a conversation about something going on in the world or in that location that was interesting to listen to, once you got closer to them.
Definitely this. It makes such a difference. It reminds me of the woman's scream you can hear occasionally when in the back alleys near the gas station in DET

Sober

Does the Biochip upgrade turn off all your passive augs too (like jump height, dermal armour?) because I one-shot him on normal using a combat rifle I picked up off the ground at the start and had some ammo. Maybe used an EMP or conc grenade on a stun. Pretty annoying not knowing how much health I had so I used hypostims liberally.

The second boss though, wow that was a doozy, especially since I opted to not take the Typhoon and I didn't get electrical damage immunity, I just had to win through attrition by stunning her during her charge and then making off with a couple of headshots with my pistol. That was by far the hardest boss fight for me anyways.

I wish the punch-through-walls aug applied to door strength (or any items with a health bar) so I could punch through them instead of having to waste inventory space for rockets or needlessly hack (more like XP farming) every lock.

Enco

I lol'd when I heard a convo between two security guys:

"What about the vents?"
"The vents? You worried that some midget might assassinate him?"

Something like that.

Top Bottom