• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

manhack

MrOogieBoogie said:
The latest patch improved the game's performance tremendously. It was running great before, but now it's even better. Both the stuttering and screen tearing have been dramatically reduced.

Great job, Eidos. Seriously.

Same here. It wasn't horrible to begin with (for me) but the patch has made the game silky smooth. I'm sorry to hear it hasn't helped everyone.

Einbroch

Banned
Okay, so I was just banned for a week, so I haven't had the opportunity to comment on this game.

It was a good one. I really enjoyed it. Don't think it's going anywhere near my favorite games ever nor top 10 this generation, but I really liked it.

MrOogieBoogie said:
The latest patch improved the game's performance tremendously. It was running great before, but now it's even better. Both the stuttering and screen tearing have been dramatically reduced.

Great job, Eidos. Seriously.

Indeed. Stuttering isn't 100 percent gone but now so reduced that's not really a bother at all. Glad to see it's taken care and look forward to future playthroughs on my PC =)

red731

Radec said:
Gaf, I got 10 praxis points left. What should I max out ?
If you hack then spend all points up to level 5 hacking, robots and turrets, stealth while hacking,
no fortify(you will have shitload of undetectable viruses and stop worms)
, icarus, silent fall and run, cloak, double takedowns, lungs, everything legs, punch through walls, heavy lifting and so on :D

Can you feel like a bigger badass?

Silent jump of the roof while cloaked-icaras, walkity walky to two guards and double T them, have stun gun ready for third and throw something heavy at another guard, candy bar replenish, attract someone more, cloak, run around corner while turning cloak off if can't be seen and break havok on another mindless victim.

mcrae

so i feel like i have about 500ms of mouse lag. is this normal? is it cause im used to starcraft 2? how do i fix this?

edit: nvm, i thought it would've auto-chosen better settings. i dropped everything i could to low, and now it works faster

Dries

vocab said:
Yup.

I read the notes, and I knew why the game was causing stuttering in the first place. I appreciate the attempt on their part, but this is anything but fixed.

I hear you man. My game is also still borked. But try windowed mode. I'm curious if the stuttering will dissappear. I posted this earlier:

Dries said:
What's strange though is that in both windowed modes I have no stuttering at all. I can even manually stretch the window to the edges of my screen and still recieve no stuttering. But once I do an ALT + Enter to go into Full screen mode.... the stuttering is still there.

I'm wondering if this is this only happens to me or all stutterers.

Also, does anyone recognize this behaviour?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dennis already posted the new ENB shots (bar one), but here they are again downsampled and side by side. Originals on the left, ENB on the right. Full sized shots can be found here.

de13780.jpg

de277tt.jpg

de3o7e6.jpg

This guy is awesome.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What a shame.

It would be cruel to have all these bells and whistles and not support DX11.

aside from the SSAO improvement...
the color correction looks like Piss Filter 2.0 to the MAX

and even without it I'm sure just the SSAO is a performance hog not worthy of gameplay use.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
What a shame.

It would be cruel to have all these bells and whistles and not support DX11.
GAF is flush now with the Google money, right?

Can't you guys throw the man a new DX11 GPU? Send poor old Boris a GTX580 !

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
GAF is flush now with the Google money, right?

Can't you guys throw the man a new DX11 GPU? Send poor old Boris a GTX580 !

I'm tempted to buy him one myself :mad:.

Dennis

Banned
Stallion Free said:
The gun in the first shot looks like a mess of black. Other shots got even more piss on them than before. Why do people like ENB again?
Because to people with an eye for graphics, he visually improves the games he does his magic on.

You don't like it? Thats fine. Enjoy the games straight out the gate and don't begrudge those of us who want the sublime and are willing to wait.

EatChildren

His mod adds real time reflects (look at the escalator, reflecting not off the floor, but the steps against the inside), actual shadows from objects and characters, as well as proper lighting.

Yes, it arguably looks more piss filtery and over contrasted, but there's no doubt that he's adding more dynamics into the engine than were there in vanilla.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
Yes, it arguably looks more piss filtery and over contrasted, but there's no doubt that he's adding more dynamics into the engine than were there in vanilla.
Its WIP.

I think the plan is to also remove piss filtering like he did (gloriously) for RE5 and GTA IV.

He certainly voiced his opinion on the matter......

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
I don't think either of those things are worth the current tradeoff.

EatChildren

As Dennis said, everything is a WIP at the moment. The chunky blob of black for a gun is the only bad thing in that image. Otherwise the environment looks tenfold richer and deeper, in my opinion.

Gvaz

Banned
I agree as well. It's a beta and he does do lots of improvements.

Also I can't even play in dx11 because I have a dx10 card with no money for a new one so....

I'd rather play that ENB version in DX9 than the vanilla in DX11.

The game clearly has great atmosphere in the first two hubs, but the stuttering (now thankfully fixed) and the fucking YELLOW EVERYWHERE stops me from being totally immersed.

My second playthrough will be with ENB. No doubt about it.

Going back to
Detroit during the riots is really, really cool.

Hopefully we'll head back to
Montreal, though. I wasn't expecting just one building there!

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is anyone getting framerate problems with the new patch? I started a new playthrough, got to Detroit, and the first view down the street outside the Sarif building crashed things down to 5-10 fps, while turning back to face the Sarif building brings things back up to speed.

derFeef

DennisK4 said:
Because to people with an eye for graphics, he visually improves the games he does his magic on.

You don't like it? Thats fine. Enjoy the games straight out the gate and don't begrudge those of us who want the sublime and are willing to wait.
People with an "eye for graphics" should not fall for this. Granted it is WIP, I do not see the appeal, but I never liked ENB mods in the first place.

Finished the game! Gets super linear towards the end, and I almost lost track of the plot after reaching
Singapore
but it's all cool. Picked the
suicide
ending, I had an urge to do it (plus I had been playing Troll Jensen, pissing people off and punching them in the face), but Jensen's monologue sold me on the choice.

Great game- shame the quality is definitely on a downhill scale but it never falls below 'great' so I'm happy. I'm just surprised how much I enjoyed the Jensen character.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I agree about the endings. On the surface, none of them are ideal choices, but after you choose them, Jensen gives a good argument for all of them (except, in my opinion, the
Iluminati one
).

I really liked Jensen as a character. He is, like JC from DX1, supposed to be a blank slate, but he comes across as more endearing. He really grows on you throughout the game.

Akuun said:
I really liked Jensen as a character. He is, like JC from DX1, supposed to be a blank slate, but he comes across as more endearing. He really grows on you throughout the game.

He's got too much lip to be a blank slate, haha. The VO is, like David Hayter's Snake, something that starts off sounding pretty ridiculousl and then becomes both instantly recognisable and completely great. He's up there with Wheatley as my favourite game character of the year.

Finished it. 18 hours in total. These were my final stats.

The last level/ending was utter shit. I absolutely loved the game, but now I'm sat here feeling all "meh" about it because they ruined the pacing, story and great gameplay with that last section. So, so bad. What a shame.

Detroit, Shanghai and Singapore were all amazing levels that relied on stealth, hacking, etc etc. This shitty base had you up against mental people who rushed at you like zombies, fight a shitty boss and then gave you a choice of "this button, this button or this button?"

I was also really surprised to have got to that point so soon. What happened to
Montreal?
I thought that was going to be a huge part in the game, not just one (admittedly great) area. Despite lasting nearly 20 hours I want more. This is not only testament to how good the game was in general, but also how rushed and unsatisfying the last section was.

Ignoring the last 90 mins of the game, I would say it's comparable to the original. To even be in the same league is amazing, to have me questioning if I prefer it over the original is just unthinkable. They did such a good job of capturing the elements that made Deus Ex it's really remarkable. Overall I don't think it's a better game, but in certain areas it's as good if not better.

By far contender for GOTY, it's just a shame the game ends on such a sour note. It's sucked a lot of my enthusiasm for it out me.

Foliorum Viridum said:
Detroit, Shanghai and Singapore were all amazing levels that relied on stealth, hacking, etc etc. This shitty base had you up against mental people who rushed at you like zombies, fight a shitty boss and then gave you a choice of "this button, this button or this button?"

The mental people are easily avoided or pacified.

That boss is pretty darn easy if you
coax Darrow into giving you the code
and have certain dermal upgrades.

But I don't think that's what you're getting at :p

The mental people weren't fun to avoid or fight. It was cool in concept, and scary at first, but the whole point of Deus Ex to me is sneaky around places avoiding guards etc. You do NONE of that in the last level.

It felt like a totally different game.

Island

Love the game so far...quick question

Right after the 2nd boss:

When she gives you the handheld device implicating Sarif, when I go to examine in from my quests items, my game crashes.

This is the only time that the game has crashed for me, runs flawless up to this point. Can be reproduced everytime as well.

Any thoughts? Is there anything vital that I am missing?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
Yeah, pretty much. I didn't expect the game to turn into a poor mans Left 4 Dead

you could use gas grenades and stuff. You can complete the level in non-lethal way.

Foliorum Viridum said:
I know, but it's not fun either way. It's not what Deus Ex is about.

I thought parts of it were fun.
For one, the setting was awesome. I loved the design of Panchea from the first time I saw it in the trailer, and hoped it would show up in the actual game. Really amazing visual design, and quite the contrast from the rest of the game. Also a nice change of pace that it didn't take place at night.

I found fighting the "zombies" to be somewhat fun (as long as they weren't actively clawing at you, which made it hard to do anything). Double takedowns + P.E.P.s was pretty satisfying.

With that being said, I see where you're coming from. It was definitely a disappointment after the rest of the game. And the fact that you chose the different endings by just pushing one of four buttons...doesn't make sense. Felt rushed an incomplete.

At least it wasn't bad enough to put a huge damper on my enjoyment of the previous 40 hours I had put into the game. Still, the ending of a game usually sets the tone for how I remember it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Foliorum Viridum said:
I know, but it's not fun either way. It's not what Deus Ex is about.

I agree but I found this to be a nice change of pace. Also I like creepy atmosphere. Now I want this team to make a System Shock game.

SenseiJinx said:
At least it wasn't bad enough to put a huge damper on my enjoyment of the previous 40 hours I had put into the game. Still, the ending of a game usually sets the tone for how I remember it.
Pretty much. It was 16 and a half hours of greatness and 90 minutes of rubbish, but since it ended on that rubbish note that's kinda what I've taken away from it.

It's like when you watch a great film and the ending is awful, you walk away feeling really disappointed. Same is true here.

Finally got around to finish the game. 31 hours played according to steam. One playthrough. Probably took more time than average as I was saving every fricking minutes to see what would/could happens if I took different paths, actions and so on.

Really enjoyed the game. Put me back 11 years ago.

It's easy to tell the game had to be rushed on its final stages. What a crappy final level. I was expecting more missions before coming to the end. Didn't liked that much the "bosses" and the final one felt really utter crap.

4 different endings? Great but... give me a break here, "press this button" to choose your ending? What's up with that? I was sure that the game could have different endings, but not like that, not with a single action. I thought the choices I've made throughout the game would do that.. and what a disapointment. I don't blame the devs, time sure is a bitch when you don't have any left.

Overall its a great game and another great achievement for Eidos and the Deus Ex franchise. Sometimes I found myself thinking, fuck this is what splinter cell conviction should be like.

ctrayne

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
Oh god, are people still going on about the "piss filter"? The game was crafted with that visual style in mind. It wasn't something they threw in for kicks.
People have brought up the point that it does tie in to the narrative theme, but nobody listens/cares. I'd be disappointed if I was the artistic director behind the game and saw a bunch of internet posters calling it a "piss filter". Then again, he probably doesn't give a shit what random people think (the smart thing to do.)
I understand if it's not your thing, mod it out, whatever, but the "piss filter" thing is tired and childish.

"Piss filter" is just a well understood term for it in the gaming culture now. Personally, I don't care how it ties in with the narrative/themes/whatever of the game... it looks ugly, so I don't like it. That simple.

Also, I was trying to decide what the best part of the game was after being so disappointed with the ending. I think that by far it was the
Singapore mission
because that was where everything had come together for me. I knew exactly how to observe the enemies, I was high enough level that hacking/stealth was much easier because I had so many abilities and I just infiltrated the entire base using my tranq rifle and the silenced pistol. Not one alerted guard, no alarms set off. It felt so fucking good. Well, actually, I lie because at the end I did program the sentry robot to kill a lot of guards once the distraction went off, but hey, I count that as "stealth" gameplay because I was fucking with their equipment and just watched from the shadows. :D That section I could play over and over again.

GhaleonEB

Two comments.

One, the lead character is an idiot in cinematics. I just got to the top of (second hub world mission spoiler)
Tai Yong Medical building confronting what's her name, dude was just as dumb as when he walked into the open when I met the first boss.
I'm so capable in-game, it's frustrating to watch him be an idiot in cinematics.

However, I had a great moment right after the confrontation.
After two failed sniping attempts on the dudes swarming up the stairs - just too many for me to take out - I rushed to the balcony over looking them and tossed down two gas grenades. BAM. Gassed all 10 of them out cold. It took a good 30 seconds or so for all the XP rewards to scroll by on the left. :lol

I felt so badass just waltzing past them all, looting on the way.

Can someone tell me the version number after the latest patch, i cant get steam to update my game, i keep trying but it does nothing. help!

Just remembered what
Panchaea
reminds me of:
Big Shell!

I've put about 50-60 hours into it, though, altogether. I just loved sitting around the house watching TV and getting drunk. The ending felt a lot more fun (or maybe just easier - even on GMDE) the second time around, too. Being able to go through it while allowing myself to use lethal force (in conjunction with cloak, sprint speed upgrades) made it a piece of cake. The aforementioned last boss was a joke with the right tools. In fact, I felt a lot more 'honed' as an augmented agent, generally, during my second playthrough.

But yeah, for all my enjoyment, the game definitely feels a little bit rushed towards the end. It feels a little like Fallout 3 in that sense; it just ends and there's an FMV and a well done to play you out.

speaking of which
depending on whether or not you go lethal, you seem to get a different voice over at the end.
I did appreciate that.

GhaleonEB said:
However, I had a great moment right after the confrontation.
After two failed sniping attempts on the dudes swarming up the stairs - just too many for me to take out - I rushed to the balcony over looking them and tossed down two gas grenades. BAM. Gassed all 10 of them out cold. It took a good 30 seconds or so for all the XP rewards to scroll by on the left. :lol

I similarly felt like a badass during my non-lethal playthrough. I placed a URDED by the balcony, detonated it and just went through the vent while the guards were investigating :p

Reading through this thread I'm quite impressed by some of the things I missed/some of the ways people handled situations differently.

It might not been quite as open in terms of the way you attack a situation as the original, but damn, there are still a lot of ways to do stuff.

Top Bottom