• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Mairu

Game keeps crashing for me at the start if I try to alt+enter to switch between Fullscreen/Windowed/Fullscreen-windowed :(

thetechkid

Getting the chip upgrade was a terrible terrible choice I will not make next playthrough.

MarshMellow96 said:
Just remembered what
Panchaea
reminds me of:
Big Shell!

I'm on that part right now and I understand the feeling.

MaddenNFL64

Treemonkeys said:
Can anyone help me find a silenced sniper rifle with out the DLC that gives one to you?

There is none. Use the tranq rifle. The DLC will put the DLC guns in shops & weapons caches throughout the game, without the DLC you will just see sniper ammo with no sniper rifle near them.

MaddenNFL64

Foliorum Viridum said:
Ignoring the last 90 mins of the game, I would say it's comparable to the original. To even be in the same league is amazing, to have me questioning if I prefer it over the original is just unthinkable. They did such a good job of capturing the elements that made Deus Ex it's really remarkable. Overall I don't think it's a better game, but in certain areas it's as good if not better.

For me, it's not close. The freedom in DX1 is it's best attribute, and HR just gets shit on by the first game in that aspect. The story is nowhere near as good, and the main characters aren't as good. The side characters, the bit players, the side quests, they are better in HR, I will give it that. Gameplay wise, HR is really fun, and with DX1 being old as shit, you would expect the gunplay to be better, which it is.

DX1>>>DX:HR>>>IW (Which I like btw)

MaddenNFL64 said:
There is none. Use the tranq rifle. The DLC will put the DLC guns in shops & weapons caches throughout the game, without the DLC you will just see sniper ammo with no sniper rifle near them.

According to the wiki and some other people there are some later in the game.

Korigama

Treemonkeys said:

I've searched every environment from start to finish quite thoroughly (pretty much why it took me so long to finish the game), and I found neither the silenced sniper rifle nor any other DLC weapon (no grenade launcher, no double-barrel shotgun, no UR-DED explosives). The regular sniper rifle appeared on occasion, as did the tranq rifle, but that's about it.

Either someone's making things up, or the developer's figured out how to make the weapons invisible to anyone who didn't order pre-order DLC. If there's actual evidence to the contrary, I'd like to be proven wrong, because I don't feel like starting a second run until retailers stop holding that content hostage.
IoCaster said:
Try the storage at the basketball area in the back alley.
I've checked there as well, didn't find one. From what I've read, it only appears there for people with the DLC.

IoCaster

Treemonkeys said:
Can anyone help me find a silenced sniper rifle with out the DLC that gives one to you?

Try the storage at the basketball area in the back alley.

EDIT:
Korigama said:
I've checked there as well, didn't find one.

Damn that kinda sucks. I bought the regular version on Amazon and got the pre-order stuff included somehow. I didn't realize how many weapons/misc items were cut.

If you can get the crossbow it totally outclasses the silenced sniper rifle by a fair margin. It has the added bonus of being able to propel the target a few feet on contact. If you choose a good angle you can literally shoot them into cover to hide the body.

thetechkid said:
Getting the chip upgrade was a terrible terrible choice I will not make next playthrough.

I will definitely not get the chip the next time, just so I can see the events fold out without the chip. Still, I felt it very satisfying to beat Jaron without the help of any augs. (Unfortunately, the only really satisfying thing about that fight...although the move mannequins was pretty impressive.)

thetechkid

For my next play through I'm not sure if I should go for mass murdering bad ass or stealth hacker, the first time I didn't a blend of both.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
MaddenNFL64 said:
For me, it's not close. The freedom in DX1 is it's best attribute, and HR just gets shit on by the first game in that aspect. The story is nowhere near as good, and the main characters aren't as good. The side characters, the bit players, the side quests, they are better in HR, I will give it that. Gameplay wise, HR is really fun, and with DX1 being old as shit, you would expect the gunplay to be better, which it is.

DX1>>>DX:HR>>>IW (Which I like btw)

Yeah, the stealth and hacking in Deus Ex, and the world traversal, felt far more satisfying than in Human Revolution.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hacking in Deus Ex required you only be Trained in the skill, and then press one button and watch a green bar move across the screen.

I dont know if I'd call that more satisfying.

Replicant

thetechkid said:

I'm on that part right now and I understand the feeling.
So uhm, any advantage of
getting the upgrade
? Does this affect the story?

Or is this something I should decide on my own and live with the consequence? I'm only up to
Detroit part deux

EatChildren said:
Hacking in Deus Ex required you only be Trained in the skill, and then press one button and watch a green bar move across the screen.

I dont know if I'd call that more satisfying.
Still better than staring at that stupid minigame several times per minute or so in certain areas. It felt like I was playing an XBLA puzzle game more than Deus Ex when you had to do a lot of hacking.

I leveled my hacking skills to max before anything else so I'd minimise my time doing it and it was still too long/frequent.

Korigama

Replicant said:
So uhm, any advantage of
getting the upgrade

Or is this something I should decide on my own and live with the consequence? I'm only up to
Detroit part deux
No advantage. It affects a boss fight and how some cutscenes play out late in the game, but not the final mission or any of the endings.

Samb

Neo Member
Replicant said:
So uhm, any advantage of
getting the upgrade

Detroit part deux
Decide on your own, you could come to the right conclusion at the time. If you really want to know,
just kidding, I'm not saying anything here. I just knew you wouldn't be able to resist looking at spoilers.

Tarin02543

There is a silenced sniper rifle to be found in the storage container area which looks like a nuclear reactor pool. There's a gantry next to the robotic crane, in the last room there is a silenced sniper rifle in the corner.

Also, I saw Steam updated DE:HR last night but there is no patch note. Anyone know what got improved?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Foliorum Viridum said:
Still better than staring at that stupid minigame several times per minute or so in certain areas. It felt like I was playing an XBLA puzzle game more than Deus Ex when you had to do a lot of hacking.

I leveled my hacking skills to max before anything else so I'd minimise my time doing it and it was still too long/frequent.

I loved the minigame :(.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The minigame was awesome. But pressing one button for awesome is trend that should have stayed in first Deus Ex.

Just beat the game tonight. 35 hours was my final playtime.

Terrific stuff all around, with just a few minor complaints here and there, mostly having to do with the bosses. Definitely nitpicky, though, and ultimately didn't detract from my experience.

GOTY for me so far. Shouldn't be missed. Bring on the DLC!

thetechkid

DarkChronic said:
Just beat the game tonight. 35 hours was my final playtime.

Terrific stuff all around, with just a few minor complaints here and there, mostly having to do with the bosses. Definitely nitpicky, though, and ultimately didn't detract from my experience.

GOTY for me so far. Shouldn't be missed. Bring on the DLC!

I clocked in at around 9 hours, did I somehow miss a large part of the game when everyone is saying they played for so much longer than I did?

EatChildren

thetechkid said:
I clocked in at around 9 hours, did I somehow miss a large part of the game when everyone is saying they played for so much longer than I did?

Steam lies, or you speed run. DE:HR is not a 9 hour game.

thetechkid said:

Difficulty? Did you use stealth? Did you do side quests?

I didn't count my playtime but my Give Me Deus Ex/Foxiest of the Hounds/Pacifist run had to be at least 15 hours.

thetechkid

I played on the middle difficulty(normal?). I think I did all of most of the side quests, I would do about two per hub per visit. Most of the time I'd start off doing stealth then get angry and shoot everything in the face.

Wallach

thetechkid said:
I played on the middle difficulty(normal?). I think I did all of most of the side quests, I would do about two per hub per visit. Most of the time I'd start off doing stealth then get angry and shoot everything in the face.

You're not going by the save timestamp right?

Wallach

thetechkid said:
Yeah I am, playing on the PS3 so I don't have any other time. Does it not count everything?

I'm pretty sure at least on the PC version the save timestamp shows you the actual system time the save was recorded at. Not the run time.

MaddenNFL64

There is no logged run time, just the actual clock time for the save.

Just judge yourself. How the fuck anyone got through this game in 9 hours, that's nutty. Missed a shitload if you did.

Carcetti

9 hours?

My Steam clock says 30 hours and I haven't even played it through once yet. On the other hand, I'm doing Everything, crawling into every vent, reading everything and hacking everything.

big_z

derFeef said:
Well, I grew tired of stealth and began to be more agressive. Still fun, but I am not sure I like where this goes now.

i stealthed in public areas and shot people in the head with a silenced pistol while on missions. it was a nice mix imo.

Zenith

Banned
Treemonkeys said:

Only to people with the DLC. Explosive packs and the double-barreled shotgun also appear in lockers and from arms dealers.

The patch seemed to have messed up the game's performance for me big time. It's barely playable in vents now. Kind of ironic since it ran fluidly before the patch. Gah!

buffi

Banned
I guess that people who take 30 hours+ to finish this game quicksave/quickload a lot to avoid getting spotted?

I just played through this game, and my steam clock is at 14hours, and then I left the game on while paused a few times while eating and so on. I'd estimate that the actual playtime was about 12 hours or so (finished it in three evenings).

Pretty great game.

edit: I did all side quests I came across btw.

buffi said:
I guess that people who take 30 hours+ to finish this game quicksave/quickload a lot to avoid getting spotted?

I just played through this game, and my steam clock is at 14hours, and then I left the game on while paused a few times while eating and so on. I'd estimate that the actual playtime was about 12 hours or so (finished it in three evenings).

Pretty great game.

Yeah, you definitely didn't finish the game in 12 hours.

Oh Eidos. Just finished Deus Ex HR and I gotta say that you guys did a stellar job. Has made for a fantastic year of gaming, along with TW2 and Portal 2 it will go down as a true classic for me. Brings the IP back to glory and is hopefully a sign to come for the next few titles to come out of the studio.
To show my appreciation I dedicate this picture of a kitten to all who had a hand in bringing this fantastic game to my dirty little hands.
very-cute-kitten.jpg
Thank you.

vareon

Okay guys. I'm new to Deus Ex and a shit stealth game player. I want to try new things though, which is why I'm jumping in. Any recommended builds or tips?

pringles

Just finished it. Awesome game, really liked the ending, especially
the destruction of the whole installation ending, since I didn't care much for any of the other 3 choices and I had already killed Taggart, Sarif and Darrow on my way through Panchea so going with any of their messages seemed wrong.

Had no problem with any of the bosses. People complain too much about them. The first one was the only one I died more than once on. I even did the 3rd boss
without augs since I got the chip upgrade (despite having a feeling that would bring about something bad), and it still wasn't that hard

I started out playing mostly non-lethal stealth, but more and more I progressed into a more aggressive style of stealth, taking out people with headshots, snipes, mines, lethal takedowns etc. but still trying to avoid alarms. Killing people is just so much fun in this game. Especially with the silent running/landing aug. I was like an ninja, running up behind people, taking them out with a 10mm silenced shot to the head, jumping down right behind a guard silently and taking him out with my arm-blades.

I'm gonna start a non-lethal, zero-alarm playthrough pretty much right now. A lot of stuff I want to try and do differently too, as well as doing 2 sidequests I failed on.

buffi said:

Pretty great game.

Since 360 version has no timer I can only estimate, but it had to be atleast 40 hours for me. Did a lot of saving/loading to try different ways of doing situations and so on, but still it's such a huge game with so much to see and do that I can't imagine anyone clearing it in 12 hours without absolutely sprinting through not stopping to look closer at anything.

EatChildren said:
I loved the minigame :(.
It wasn't awful, but the beauty about the mechanic in the first Deus Ex is the fact it didn't break the flow of the game. You took out your hacking tool or lockpit, held down the mouse button and a few seconds later you were in.

On the other hand, in this game you have to look for the best route, keep an eye on the time/progress of your capturing, decide if you wanted to use a Nuke or StopWorm. It takes about 15-20 seconds, which isn't a lot when you say it like that, but you have to consider how much hacking you do in the game.

In some areas, especially later on like
in the TV station or Singapore
I'd enter a corridor, hack a door, go inside, hack two computers in there, go back out into the hallway, hack the next door and then hack the computer inside that room. There's a lot of hacking in the game. That's fine, it's what Deus Ex is about, but what would've been a 45 second action in the original is now a 2+ minute action.

I never play a game to do a silly minigame and this one is no different. Every moment I was staring at those nodes was a moment that was preventing me from doing the things I actually enjoy in the game. That's why I view it as a step backwards.

And in regards to the time discussion, I too was surprised to wrap it up in 18 hours. After seeing the 30-40 hours claim thrown around I was sure I had more left in the game when the credits suddenly started rolling.

EatChildren

I only had two problems with the hacking. First, it was too easy, and secondly, it was a blanket replacement for three features from the original Deus Ex.

Hacking was pointless above trained in Deus Ex, but Human Revolution could have done with a second skill to split them up, maybe lock picking or electronics. Something people could upgrade instead of hacking, that would allow them to access other areas hacking could not (and vice versa), and generally prevent hacking from being the most valuable, if not essential, skill in the game.

So yeah, I really liked the minigame. My problem was how overused and important the hacking skill in general was.

Foliorum Viridum said:
It wasn't awful, but the beauty about the mechanic in the first Deus Ex is the fact it didn't break the flow of the game. You took out your hacking tool or lockpit, held down the mouse button and a few seconds later you were in.

I wouldn't call that beauty. First of all, lockpicking and electronics are redundant since they're both the same thing with a different name. But more importantly, you're just watching a meter fill or a number go down until you can use whatever it is you're picking/hacking etc. It's supremely uninteresting. It sounds like you "like" this system because it doesn't require you to do any thinking, but that's exactly the reason why other people don't like it.

I like it because it's quicker and it doesn't require me to learn mechanics for a glorified mini game. I just want to get into the PC/through the door as fast as possible so I can keep on doing the things I enjoy in the game.

I like thinking about stealth routes, how to attack guards, etc etc. Not playing a connect the dots game. I'd buy an iPhone and play half of the games released on it if I wanted that.

It's time for games to drop minigames for hacking/lockpicking. I'm so sick of them.

Top Bottom