• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Davidion

Watanabe Kazuma said:
I did, but like others have mentioned in here the lack of any in-game information stops you from knowing when 'accidental' deaths occur.

I was positive I completed the game without killing anyone but never got the achievement.

Yeah a "flatlining" indicator could have been a tasteful yet suitable addition to your HUD.

Though as far as I can tell the only thing that would cause "accidental" deaths provided you didn't flat out kill them is letting the body fall any noticeable height or if they're shot or blown up after the fact. I actually left a bunch of bodies in electrified water and they never died.

sephi22

Just got this game like 4 days back. Played it serious for 2 days, then kinda lost steam. Just landed in Hengsha.

Maybe its because I'm playing on Give Me Deus Ex, trying for no kills, no alarms and generally not knowing what the fuck to do with my praxis points.

I should've taken my own time rather than deciding on getting as many cheevos as possible on one playthrough. Already missed a few XP books so fuck it.

sephi22 said:
Just got this game like 4 days back. Played it serious for 2 days, then kinda lost steam. Just landed in Hengsha.

Maybe its because I'm playing on Give Me Deus Ex, trying for no kills, no alarms and generally not knowing what the fuck to do with my praxis points.

I should've taken my own time rather than deciding on getting as many cheevos as possible on one playthrough. Already missed a few XP books so fuck it.

And this is why I don't give a fuck about Achievements. Why ruin such a good game for yourself by caring about series of epenis trophies?

Gvaz

Banned
RibbedHero said:
Are these loading screen ads for real?

I don't have any ads in my copy of the game (UK here), so I was just wondering if these are real or not.
Don't worry, if you have the master race edition (PC All years Every year) if it's in the game you can be assured it will be modded out in a heartbeat.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bisnic said:
It depends on the video, if its a trailer or something, i can deal with it. But a 30 secs ad for a 15 sec simpson clip? Fuck no.

ah, I see. yes, that sucks but we're talking about a videogame here and one 30 sec ad for 30 minutes - 4 hour session is nothing (for me at least). I can go take a piss during this time or make me a cup of coffee or something.

AEREC said:
If you are ok with this maybe you wouldnt mind booting up a game and having to wait 10 minutes before you can play because you have to sit through ads. Or everytime you die in a multiplayer game you have to watch a commercial before you respawn.
Show me the game that's doing that and I will show you some outrage. Your statement is baseless extrapolation.

Seriously...there is absolutely no reason to encourage ads in a game you paid for, and just saying "it's ok they dont bother me because they are on a loading screen" just means they are going to get worse later on.
I'm not encouraging them, I'm just not getting all worked up about something that I see as unnoticeable at best and a minor annoyance at worst.

It is incredibly stupid to be ok with this...unless you like being taken advantage of.
All you're doing is jumping to ridiculous hypothetical conclusions based on absolutely no evidence. It's not like there is some trend going on where every game is consistently getting worse and worse with in-game advertising. I'm looking at this for what it is, one single case where the ads are hardly even noticeable and aren't even in the game world.

Gvaz

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
All you're doing is jumping to ridiculous hypothetical conclusions based on absolutely no evidence.
"Nothing bad has happened yet guys! God you're all jumping the gun! You totally shouldn't be concerned about this!"

Gvaz said:
"Nothing bad has happened yet guys! God you're all jumping the gun! You totally shouldn't be concerned about this!"
Why the quotations? Where is this quote from? Or is it simply easier for you to rearrange someone's argument into different words in order to have a slightly less sturdy straw-man to knock over?

Show me some evidence that in-game advertising is consistently and unarguably getting worse and will eventually lead to commercials before every spawn in a multiplayer game. I mean, seriously?

You guys are forgetting an important part of this equation, the consumer. If advertising reaches a point where it is obnoxiously intrusive than consumers will vote with their wallet, and competitors will take advantage of this by making games that don't have ads.

Famassu

AEREC said:
You clearly missed my point, being ok with this will just leads to more methods of in-game advertising.

Honestly there is no reason to be Pro-in-game-advertising unless you are receiving money from it in some way.
Vice versa, there's absolutely no reason for being anti-in-game-advertising, unless it seriously meddles with you playing the game (i.e. "we stop your Wii Fit session to inform you of all of these wonderful new Diet Pills").

Also, if advertising makes Deus Ex 3 even a little more profitable and that, in turn, makes the possibility of Deus Ex 4 that much bigger, then I'm all for unintrusive loading screen ads (and wouldn't really even mind if there were some ads on the sides of buildings, this IS supposed to take place in a future Earth and things like Pepsi could still be around).

AEREC

The_Darkest_Red said:
Why the quotations? Where is this quote from? Or is it simply easier for you to rearrange someone's argument into different words in order to have a slightly less sturdy straw-man to knock over?

Show me some evidence that in-game advertising is consistently and unarguably getting worse and will eventually lead to commercials before every spawn in a multiplayer game. I mean, seriously?

You cant really show proof of something getting worse until it actually gets worse. And it will get worse if people dont complain... that's just common sense.

Gvaz

Banned
There is no reason to not be concerned about an event that is likely to happen based on the situation that is also not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Just because something bad hasn't happened yet doesn't mean you should prevent the bad thing from happening (in this case, it becoming status quo to have in game advertisements)

Also you're assuming that people will do something after the fact, when in tons of situations the only time that ever happens is when people are up against the wall (such as in oppression). It will never happen in media or games unless you raise issues before.

AEREC said:
You cant really show proof of something getting worse until it actually gets worse. And it will get worse if people dont complain... that's just common sense.
You act like this is the first game ever to feature ads. That's been going on for quite some time, and I think the timeline is long enough to pretty objectively show that the trend you're so desperately searching for is completely non-existent. I honestly don't think in-game advertising is any worse now than it was a few years ago, unless you include FTP games which are basically designed around it.

subversus

AEREC said:

in-game advertising exists since... 2001 I think. Since then the biggest player on the market has ceased to exist. That's how ads devour and constantly ruin video games.

anyway I think we should get back on topic

Gvaz

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
You act like this is the first game ever to feature ads. That's been going on for quite some time, and I think the timeline is long enough to pretty objectively show that the trend you're so desperately searching for is completely non-existent. I honestly don't think in-game advertising is any worse now than it was a few years ago, unless you include FTP games which are basically designed around it.
How popular was that...what was it free version of far cry 1 with in game advertisements? Swarths of people talked about they didn't want to even spend the time downloading it regardless of it not having a price tag simply because of the in game ads.

Gvaz said:
There is no reason to not be concerned about an event that is likely to happen based on the situation that is also not a huge stretch of the imagination.

Just because something bad hasn't happened yet doesn't mean you should prevent the bad thing from happening (in this case, it becoming status quo to have in game advertisements)

Also you're assuming that people will do something after the fact, when in tons of situations the only time that ever happens is when people are up against the wall (such as in oppression). It will never happen in media or games unless you raise issues before.
Well that's fine if you want to become incredibly paranoid and overly consumerist based on something this minimal but I'll exercise my rights to not care about it. I honestly don't see some future where every game is filled to the brim with obtrusive and obnoxious advertisements, and a few small ads in the corner of a loading screen aren't enough to convince me to don that particular tin-foil hat.

Back on topic: Deus Ex: HR is a pretty cool game, guys.

Gvaz said:
How popular was that...what was it free version of far cry 1 with in game advertisements? Swarths of people talked about they didn't want to even spend the time downloading it regardless of it not having a price tag simply because of the in game ads.
That sounds like my point...

From triple-A poster zoomzoomz on the mentioned reddit post,

Watching gamers defend in-game advertising is surreal. In my opinion, any amount of advertising in the actual game is unacceptable; it takes away from the experience. Just wait, pretty soon the NPCs will start talking about how much they love [popular soda]. You'll have to "Like" the game on facebook to unlock special weapons. I don't blame companies for wanting money, that's what they are supposed to do, but it also means that they won't get my money.

But what does one person matter in the grand scheme of things. They will make much more money by doing these monetization schemes than catering to my likes because all of you are alright with it.

Famassu

AEREC said:
You should still explain why it is the worst thing ever. Ads have been in movies, TV series and whatnot for ages and ages and movies that have them are no worse for them. Sure, a game like Oblivion should never have ads and I'm pretty sure they never will, just like Lord of the Rings doesn't. But games like Deus Ex, SSX and the like that take place on Earth/modern times... how would it make them any worse to have some ads during loading screens or at the sides of the tracks? And I don't mean annoying TV ads, I mean (small) pictures that market some new movie or the album of one of the artists who's music is in the latest SSX.

We know publishers are somewhat struggling with rising development costs. People are already whining about 60$ games, many waiting for the inevidable 20$ bomba-prices. If publishers can't whine about used games sales, nor can they release any DLC and people aren't willing to pay any more for games than what they already cost, then they'll have to come up with additional ways of getting money. I know you people hate EA and Eidos and Square Enix and all the big publishers, but they make games I enjoy and I don't mind if they have more money to hopefully fund more games like Deus Ex, SSX, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and whatnot, especially if that money comes with no more expenses to me and with no impact on gameplay whatsoever.

johntown

Banned
Rahxephon91 said:
Where can I go to get a auto-hack device? Does such a thing exists in this game? I'm in Hengsha and Alice Gardens is already closed off.
There are lots of them later on in the game. Sometimes they are in safes and in secret areas you may find, I know I had about 15 by the time I finished the game......never bought one.

I take it you did not pump skill points into hacking.......if that is the case kill everyone and search everything and you will find lots of them.

We went from no ads in consoles to ads on the dashboard to ads in games, I think it's already been getting worse. I do wonder where we will go from here or if it's the peak.

AEREC

Famassu said:
You should still explain why it is the worst thing ever. Ads have been in movies, TV series and whatnot for ages and ages and movies that have them are no worse for them. Sure, a game like Oblivion should never have ads and I'm pretty sure they never will, just like Lord of the Rings doesn't. But games like Deus Ex, SSX and the like that take place on Earth/modern times... how would it make them any worse to have some ads during loading screens or at the sides of the tracks? And I don't mean annoying TV ads, I mean (small) pictures that market some new movie or the album of one of the artists who's music is in the latest SSX.

We know publishers are somewhat struggling with rising development costs. People are already whining about 60$ games, many waiting for the inevidable 20$ bomba-prices. If publishers can't whine about used games sales, nor can they release any DLC and people aren't willing to pay any more for games than what they already cost, then they'll have to come up with additional ways of getting money. I know you people hate EA and Eidos and Square Enix and all the big publishers, but they make games I enjoy and I don't mind if they have more money to hopefully fund more games like Deus Ex, SSX, Beyond Good & Evil 2 and whatnot, especially if that money comes with no more expenses to me and with no impact on gameplay whatsoever.

It pulls me out of the immersion and insults the artistic integrity of the game, what other reason do you need?

The argument that they are already in TV and Movies are irrelevant here, or are you basically just saying "well since they are already in those forms of media then it's ok if they do it to games now."

GhaleonEB

I ran into a weird issue last night. I spent a good hour and a half scouring the initial hub city after I beat the boss, since my skills where higher and I could access more. Ended up finding or earning five (!!) Praxis, along wtih a heaping pile of ammo and other goodies. Apartments, storage facilities, nooks (thanks to my newfound vertical leap), all sorts of good stuff.

I then went to the next hub area, and bought a couple Praxis at the LIMB center. When I went to upgrade, I noticed that several of the ones I had selected previously are gone. I had maxed our the reticule stabilization prior to arriving at the facility where the boss was, about two days ago. And in the process of looting the hub after, upgraded my inventory to maximum, added a vertical jump and the removal of fall damage.

Now that I'm in the second hub, my aim stabilization has reset, and so has my inventory space. The other upgrades I made at the same time were retained. So, I'm having to earn those all back (about six Praxis in total).

Has this happened to anyone else? Is it by design?

subversus

DennisK4 said:
Its not my pics, they are from the ENB website.

I guess Boris could use a new GPU!

oh I was wondering what kind of sick resolution + AA do you use to get such horrible framerate on your setup. But now I see jaggies!

Famassu

AEREC said:
It pulls me out of the immersion and insults the artistic integrity of the game, what other reason do you need?
Sorry, that's just pathetic hysteria. Pulls you out of the immersion? Seeing an add during a loading screen? Sports games have had ads since forever and I don't see them breaking any immersion. Sure, if they were integrated badly, they could stick out like a sore thumb, but if they were just a part of the background (bulletin boards in cities etc.), then how on earth does it matter a damn?

Insults artistic integrity? My god, no one is suggesting they add ads in fucking Okami. But SSX? Having some small, say, Nike logo on shoes does jack shit for artistic integrity.

The argument that they are already in TV and Movies are irrelevant here, or are you basically just saying "well since they are already in those forms of media then it's ok if they do it to games now."
No it isn't. They've not made TV or movies any worse, why would they make games worse? Do you get sucked out of a movie when you see a character using an iPhone? Or when someone drinks a Pepsi? No, so why would you be with games? Bare in mind I'm talking about games where they FIT. Of course they could never fit in a game like El Shaddai. Use them in instances where they fit (sports games, games that take place in modern times/cities), make some extra $$$ and fund some more experimental/risky projects instead of CoD year after year. Everybody wins.

Dries

Patch coming up:

PC version's getting patched very, very soon. Here are the notes:

"The new patch addresses a variety of issues as well as adds some new features:

Fixes:
- We have addressed various issues that can occur for players that would result in ‘stuttering’.
o Stutters that are the result of graphics driver shader processing are now removed or significantly reduced.
o Stutters that are the result of data streaming have been removed or significantly reduced.
o Performance has been improved and made more stable on dual-core systems. This could previously also result in stuttering.
- Fixed issue where some players couldn’t complete the Motherly Ties side quest.
- Fixed an issue where doors in Omega Ranch sometimes wouldn’t open.
- The TYM medical card should no longer fall through the table if an NPC’s body comes into contact with the card. Players already stuck in this area will need to revert to a previous save before the card fell through.
- Occasional hangs for some players during video-playback have been fixed.
- A crash on startup when running DX11 on a single-core CPU has been fixed.
- An issue causing Eyefinity setups to not be correctly detected for some players has been fixed.
- Fixed an issue where the HUD would get permanently disabled for some players.
- Fixed certain issues that caused the mouse cursor to be able to leave the game-screen on multi-monitor setups.
- Fixed an issue that caused the mouse cursor to not be visible in-game when the user has mouse trails enabled in Windows. We still recommend disabling mouse trails for a smoother in-game mouse cursor.
- Fixed issue where ammo count for collected guns is incorrect when Adams weapon is augmented.
- In DX9 mode:
o Fixed error message for some users when trying to use FXAA Medium or FXAA Low anti aliasing modes.
o Fixed shadow-mapping ‘lines’ on some graphics hardware when using anisotropic filtering.

Feature Additions:
- The Enter and Numpad-Enter keys can now be bound to game actions in the keyboard control menu.
- Support for additional passive-stereoscopic 3D screens when using AMD graphics hardware.
- Intro logos can now be skipped on all but the first run of the game.
- Added windowed mode.
o Selectable in the menu, and can be toggled between windowed, fullscreen, and fullscreen windowed using ALT-ENTER.
- Added an option to change the text language of the game. This setting only changes the text language, the audio is controlled by the language option in Steam.

On top of this we are continuing to monitor for any issues that may need to be addressed in a future patch. One extra feature we can already confirm for a future patch is support for Nvidia 3DVision and Nvidia Surround."

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1684974#post1684974

B-Dex

Famassu said:
Sorry, that's just pathetic hysteria. Pulls you out of the immersion? Seeing an add during a loading screen? Sports games have had ads since forever and I don't see them breaking any immersion. Sure, if they were integrated badly, they could stick out like a sore thumb, but if they were just a part of the background (bulletin boards in cities etc.), then how on earth does it matter a damn?

Insults artistic integrity? My god, no one is suggesting they add ads in fucking Okami. But SSX? Having some small, say, Nike logo on shoes does jack shit for artistic integrity.

No it isn't. They've not made TV or movies any worse, why would they make games worse? Do you get sucked out of a movie when you see a character using an iPhone? Or when someone drinks a Pepsi? No, so why would you be with games? Bare in mind I'm talking about games where they FIT. Of course they could never fit in a game like El Shaddai. Use them in instances where they fit (sports games, games that take place in modern times/cities), make some extra $$$ and fund some more experimental/risky projects instead of CoD year after year. Everybody wins.

Whose to say when the ad is on the loading screen they don't just make it stay there a bit longer. Are you ok with that?

So I ended up beating the game. Managed to get Pacifist and Foxiest of Hounds. I'm actually surprised it happened, cause I could have sworn I didn't get a couple of Ghost and Smooth Operate exp bonuses.

Ending was really weird but I enjoyed the hell out of the game. Going to play on Give Me Deus Ex mode later. Probably not right away but eventually.

AEREC

Famassu said:

Are you really telling me how I enjoy my games?

Also you are comparing story based games to sports games which two entirely different things...I dont play sports game but I know ads are not totally out of place in those games since they are featured in their real life counterparts, so if anything, Im sure they add to the immersion for the people who play them.

Again it depends on the type of game...obvioulsy nike fits in with SSX or Sports games because they actually use that stuff in the game. Stars Wars in Deus Ex doesnt. Also I dont get your ads in Okami comment... it sounds like you are saying that Deus Ex cant be considered art because it doesnt use an oil painting graphics filter, which is pretty narrow minded.

I dont believe we are on the same page here, I actually have no problem (or mind too much) with ads that fit in with the nature of a game, such as billboards in a driving game or a real world device that someone may use in game...I do have a problem with out of place ads that dont relate to the game in any sort of way, such as the Deus Ex / Star Wars loading screen ad.

Also dont really enhance TV or movies, if anything they are just extra fluff you have to sit through in order order watch what you really want to watch...so yes I would say that they have definitely made TV shows and movies worse since they dont relate to what you are watching, it's obviously not the worst thing in the world but they certainly dont help with my enjoyment of the show or movie.

subversus

Steam just downloaded the patch.

also lol @ notes. somebody was trying to play this game on a single core CPU and DX11 card!!

Top Bottom