• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Damn it! I'm at the part where Malik crashes the helicopter in the construction field, and I'm all out of EMP grenades. I can take out the underlings easily with my sniper rifle, but that fucking robot is making my life hell. I refuse to let Malik die! I REFUSE TO!...Advice please?

Edit: I found out a way to achieve my objective without those batch of grenades.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
NukeDukem said:
Dropped all the vending machines in Pritchards office, and he doesnt even notice.
IMMERSION RUINED

yes, NPC's AI is very bad as in 99% of other games.

wutwutwut

Attackthebase said:
Damn it! I'm at the part where Malik crashes the helicopter in the construction field, and I'm all out of EMP grenades. I can take out the underlings easily with my sniper rifle, but that fucking robot is making my life hell. I refuse to let Malik die! I REFUSE TO!...Advice please?
Load an earlier save. I think it's impossible without one.

Divvy said:
Loving this game so far. Quick question, what's the new game+ if there is any?

No NG+ which makes sense since you'll have 85% of the available augmentations by the end, and chances are the ones you won't have are the useless ones anyway.

Rufus

wutwutwut said:
Load an earlier save. I think it's impossible without one.
Not necessarily. You can use the stun gun to incapacitate it and chuck a few explosive barrels at it. There are at least three there. Don't know if that'll be enough though.

Nymerio

Finished it tonight. I did not think it could live up to my expectations, but I was pretty much in love with it from the moment you got your augmentations. My only gripe with the game is that my pacifist run failed. The only time there was a possibility that I could have killed someone was at the
save Malik
section. And I did that part several times till I was sure no one died. At least I got Foxiest of the Hounds.

Rufus said:
Not necessarily. You can use the stun gun to incapacitate it and chuck a few explosive barrels at it. There are at least three there. Don't know if that'll be enough though.

My shotgun was a boss for the robot encounter.

Nymerio

Damn, I think I know why I didn't get my pacifist achievement. Sometimes when I reloaded during the
save Malik
part, there was this one guard that mysteriously blew himself up. I thought that wouldn't count since I didn't do anything to him, but apparently that counts as a kill :/

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
jim-jam bongs said:
No NG+ which makes sense since you'll have 85% of the available augmentations by the end, and chances are the ones you won't have are the useless ones anyway.

Cool, thanks.

jim-jam bongs said:
I think it'd be fun to start from the beginning a bad ass dude with upgraded augs :(

derFeef

I adore this game's atmosphere. It is just so good. Let me wander around in this city and interact with everyone please - I would buy a MMO with this kind of setting in a heartbeat.

MaddenNFL64

Yes, melee needs to be brought back. I wanna bust heads with the police baton again. Combine it with the takedown system for some crazy ass "knock three guys out matrix style" animation when you need it.

Exploding Robots do not void the Pacifist achievement.

pringles said:
Very, very few times in the game are you actually forced to hack something. And when you are they're simple lvl1 hacks.
Yeah anytime I came across a Level 1 hack in a level full of 4 or 5 hacks it was obvious that this was a key place to come to.
I thought the hacking was really great. Enjoyed it right to the end and the only code I used was the side-mission on the second trip in Detroit. I ended up with around 30 stop worms and nukes each.
The lock picking in Oblivion was horrible.

Island said:
Just to note:
All quest items are unexamineable after the last patch.
(In case anyone else cares, otherwise carry on)
Didn't notice that last night, also didn't get any of that in-loading advertising that people were talking about either.

NukeDukem said:
Dropped all the vending machines in Pritchards office, and he doesnt even notice.
IMMERSION RUINED
Pritchard just don't give a shit. He is probably waiting for you to leave so he can get his Skittles on in peace.

Replicant

Speaking of Sarif Industries, I was trying so hard to not laugh hard when I read emails from Jensen's Sarif co-workers about how someone has been stealing their stuff. And yet they keep giving out their password for Jensen to reset/change. LOLOLOL.

sJUpr.jpg

JohngPR

EatChildren said:
I gave the game another while since the patch. Low and behold stuttering is 99% gone. There's very, very slight hiccups now and then, but nothing in the ballpark of what I was originally getting (which was entirely playable, but noticeable during data streaming).

Same for me too. Makes me look forward to my 2nd playthrough that much more. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
NukeDukem said:
IMMERSION RUINED
One day all open world games will have someone whose job it is to do nothing but code in reactions to these kind of situations.

White Man

I haven't read so much feedback on this game, but I'm assuming that many, many people before me have bitched about how it's far far too easy to use consumables (without even noticing!) when using fast item switching, right?

GhaleonEB

This is a location spoiler from a ways after the second boss in the game. Not sure if describing how I take an area down is a spoiler, but I'll just tag the location, with the warning that I'm going to describe how I handled this area. I've just cleared out
the warehouse on the Hengsha - Belltower Dock, getting ready to board a ship.

I have a lot of issues with some of the game mechanics, but from an overall design standpoint...goddamn. Clearing this area was one of the most satisfying experiences I've had this generation. My 'accidental' kills using the through-the-wall take downs has freed me up to take a mixed lethal/non-lethal approach, and that has really exploded the range of tactics I use to work through areas like this. I'm probably doing a 90% pacifist run - partly because that yields greater XP - but that 10% lethal component is great fun.

I was super-methodical in clearing out the exterior of the warehouse, working from the outside in, hiding snoozing guards in the corners. I picked out a far corner and sniped a roof sniper last, and got spotted by another. I had a hard time getting a bead on the second dude, so I got out of his line of sight and enter the warehouse from a side door.

Inside looked rough - four guys on the ground of the warehouse, another two up high on the catwalk with a robotic turret, and that's before the big mech is dropped into the middle.

After spending some time scouting out their routes, I conclude there's no easy way to start picking guys off without sounding the cavalry charge while the mech is around. I work my way across from where I came in and wait for a moment when the guards are all turned away from me, and then toggle on my silent movement perk. With the extended sprint time and speed, I zip silently up the stairs and into the series of rooms on the far side across from the guys with the turret, without being detected.

Exploring the rooms, I find a back door route to say 'hi' to that last sniper, and then return to my catwalk overlooking the warehouse. I decide to take the direct approach, and just pop up and toss an EMP grenade down under the mech, then sneak back into the rooms. The 250 XP popping up tells me the mech is toast, and after a minute or so the Alert guards go back to their normal patrols (me, I'd still be paranoid if someone blew up the big mech in the middle of the room).

With that out of the way, I decide to try and take out the guys on the ledge overlooking the warehouse floor; with them down I should be able to pick off the rest at my leisure. I hug the far right wall and snake down to right under their walkway, only to find the far corner too well defended to sneak up the stairs. I opt for plan B, which is to work my way into the room by the stairs and hope there's some goodies therein.

It took about five minutes, but patience paid off as I was able to do silent non-lethal take downs on the two guards patrolling near the room. I stash their bodies in the corner, and then sneak into the room. A computer! Those often lead to good things. Disabling the security camera, I see the option to hack the gun turret above me. I set it to target "enemies", a wave of mischievous delight spreading over me.

The turret happily mows down the two dudes on the walk way, and while the last two guards down low are staring up at it, alarmed, I pop up and snipe them both from the open window in the room. Area clear.

I'm sure all of what I just described were meticulously designed as but some of the ways to get through the area, but there's no hand-holding or directing in the approach. One of the great strengths of Deus Ex: HR is how it lets me feel like I'm improvising my own way through an encounter like this. The game rewards methodically casing and then dismantling encounters as I see fit quite richly.

So, yeah. Goddamn. Whoever designs this stuff should be bronzed.

It's sort of mind-boggling how the game can be this good and then toss truly horribly designed boss fights into the mix, but with only two so far, I'm willing to tolerate them.

SHAZOOM

Just started a playthrough where I'll skip the typhoon.
Finished the first boss with just 4 frag mines.

edit

Also noticed the advertisement in the corner of loading screens. Its so tiny, I honestly can't complain. Plus its nothing like the kinds you get in Android/iOS games (where you'll have a ad covering some of the HUD).

GhaleonEB

SHAZOOM said:
Just started a playthrough where I'll skip the typhoon.
Finished the first boss with just 4 frag mines.
I'm also skipping Typhoon. I'm not even sure why, but I decided it's the one perk I'm not going to sample at all. The second boss was a bit of a pain, but otherwise I haven't found myself craving some sort of area effect death weapon.

JEKKI

I like Malik.

I like her becoz she has her name on her clothes, and they always show it at an angle such that you only read it as Lik

just like Lik from neogaf!

aka the greatest gamer of this generation!!

I think squeenix made that character in honor of Lik Chan!

also as much as I suck at these kind of games,
I had no problem saving her!!! yeah I died and restarted a bunch of times, but stun gun + high jump augmentations helped me easily pick everyone off one by one and STILL maintain a no-kill game!!!

ctrayne

GhaleonEB said:
One of the great strengths of Deus Ex: HR is how it lets me feel like I'm improvising my own way through an encounter like this. The game rewards methodically casing and then dismantling encounters as I see fit quite richly.
Agreed. That, and the ambiance/artistic direction is a huge part of what keeps bringing me back.

SHAZOOM

GhaleonEB said:
I'm also skipping Typhoon. I'm not even sure why, but I decided it's the one perk I'm not going to sample at all. The second boss was a bit of a pain, but otherwise I haven't found myself craving some sort of area effect death weapon.

Its funny, I really only used it for bosses and Dicking around in the Detroit Metro tunnel. Very rarely have to use it otherwise.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Nothing feels better than walking near 2 civilians casually talking and BAM! There goes Jensen stabbing them from behind!

...I ended up killing every civilians of Detroit and Hengsha. No witnesses to my terrible murders. I admit i felt kinda bad shooting at the back of some fleeing civilians. :( Damn game making me a hearthless serial killer.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
White Man said:
I haven't read so much feedback on this game, but I'm assuming that many, many people before me have bitched about how it's far far too easy to use consumables (without even noticing!) when using fast item switching, right?

Yep. It happened to me a lot of times. I just wish the game had a cancel operation button for that menu or something.

MaddenNFL64

GhaleonEB said:

I skipped the typhoon on my second. Bosses were dealt with in the same manner, basically. Actually, I think I used the typhoon twice in the whole game. Once against Zhao's penthouse security (how can you not in a kill playthrough... there's a dozen bad guys bunched up together!), and once against federova, and I used it mostly because I felt it didn't use it enough.

It's a tossable aug.

MaddenNFL64

White Man said:

See, I had this issue, then I just looked up why, and just pressed the left stick down to cancel whenever I went over a consumable. You get used to it. Outside of early on in my first game, it's never been a problem.

White Man

SHAZOOM said:
Its funny, I really only used it for bosses and Dicking around in the Detroit Metro tunnel. Very rarely have to use it otherwise.

I keep Typhoon ammo on me at all time as a "win button," only used during bosses so far. I'm glad I was warned about the bosses--that first one would have destroyed lots and lots of dental work if I hadn't carried typhoon.

SHAZOOM

White Man said:
I keep Typhoon ammo on me at all time as a "win button," only used during bosses so far. I'm glad I was warned about the bosses--that first one would have destroyed lots and lots of dental work if I hadn't carried typhoon.

My biggest problem was hoarding all that ammo. I think I had 30 typhoon ammo on me on my last play through, and I just ended up dumping most of it to make room for stuff like Energy Jars/bars.

I'm rolling out with 10mm/machine pistol/tranq rifle this time, hopefully putting a silencer/armorpierce/laser on both the 10mm/machine pistol, and I figure I can save a 4 praxis by only upgrading inventory to 3/4 maximum and skipping typhoon. I'll probably end up putting those into steady aim and "stealth" upgrades just to see how much that helps.

White Man

MaddenNFL64 said:
See, I had this issue, then I just looked up why, and just pressed the left stick down to cancel whenever I went over a consumable. You get used to it. Outside of early on in my first game, it's never been a problem.

I still forget now and then. I can't get it through my head that I have to press a button to not use something.

MaddenNFL64

Ya, it's way more awkward than it needs to be, for sure. Oh, on the bosses, outside of the last one, which has that win button glitch, stun locking the bosses (with stun gun, or gas/emp nades), then tossing 2-3 frags, then shooting in face ends these encounters extremely fast.

Actually, if you're looking for cheapness,
you can just stun gun Barrett over & over until he "dies".
Not a glitch, but certainly an exploit.

Save 3 praxis points for some other shit.

I meant Namir as the last boss, not Zhao

Ridley327 said:
I have to say that the
Laser Rifle
makes the final fight a joke; easiest way to avoid any unforeseen casualties, too.

Pacifist get!

Try this.
use the code you got from Darrow, or hack the security console on the side of the Hyron mainframe, turn off the life support (doesn't count against pacifist). Turrets off, and no crazy security to bother you. The 4 bots will come out one at a time, but just wait & toss a emp nade into each bay door. Then just wait for the glass to crack & kill Zhao without fuss.
What I do anyway hah.

malfcn said:
Is the secret ending the same for all endings?

Yes, but I only checked 2 of the endings (not gonna go through the long ass credits that many times), so I could be wrong

Ridley327

I have to say that the
Laser Rifle
makes the final fight a joke; easiest way to avoid any unforeseen casualties, too.

Pacifist get!

Ridley327

MaddenNFL64 said:
Try this.
use the code you got from Darrow, or hack the security console on the side of the Hyron mainframe, turn off the life support (doesn't count against pacifist). Turrets off, and no crazy security to bother you. The 4 bots will come out one at a time, but just wait & toss a emp nade into each bay door. Then just wait for the glass to crack & kill Zhao without fuss.
What I do anyway hah.

There's no reason to do any of this since
the Laser Rifle penetrates the safety glass and hits Zhao directly; you don't even need to move from the first spot!

MaddenNFL64

Ridley327 said:
There's no reason to do any of this since
the Laser Rifle penetrates the safety glass and hits Zhao directly; you don't even need to move from the first spot!

Oh snap, forgot about that lol. Ya, that's certainly easier than mine.

I just finished the game last night. i thought it was really excellent with great pacing...and then it kinda just ended? it seemed the ending was just done in a rush.

I saw two endings...i guess there are more to get that achievement.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
What bugs?

In the quest cloak and daggers, it says I have to knock out all the MCB guards around the witness, Double-T. One of the guards (the 2nd corridor guy) is stuck 100 feet underground.

I just can't bring myself to move on from that quest, since I spent several hours trying not to get detected.

Top Bottom