• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

GhaleonEB

White Man said:
I'm in love with the revolver that shoots exploding bullets
I'm in love with my silenced, laser-sighted, quadruple extended clip, rapid reload, armor piercing, damage-boosted 10mm pistol. I basically put every upgrade on it until I wasn't allowed to put any more. Thing's a destroyer of worlds at this point.

Should I do a second play through, I'll make the revolver my primary lethal weapon of choice. Exploding bullets sounds like something I would enjoy.

Late game location spoiler, right after my one above: I'm in
Singapore, after smuggling myself there in a cryo tube

I wish I'd upgraded this earlier, but I just did another section where I used hacking a turret to mow down tons of guys. Then I got to thinking, hey I can carry these things. I wonder if I can lug this through to the next area and use it like a big portable turret?

Son of a bitch just cleared out a room with five guys, two of whom were cloaked. Just plopped it down in the entryway and listened to the bullets fly, enemies scream and glass shatter as XP rewards scrolled by the screen. Why oh why didn't I try that sooner!?!

GhaleonEB said:
I'm in love with my silenced, laser-sighted, quadruple extended clip, rapid reload, armor piercing, damage-boosted 10mm pistol. I basically put every upgrade on it until I wasn't allowed to put any more. Thing's a destroyer of worlds at this point.

Should I do a second play through, I'll make the revolver my primary lethal weapon of choice. Exploding bullets sounds like something I would enjoy.

Late game location spoiler, right after my one above: I'm in
Singapore, after smuggling myself there in a cryo tube

I wish I'd upgraded this earlier, but I just did another section where I used hacking a turret to mow down tons of guys. Then I got to thinking, hey I can carry these things. I wonder if I can lug this through to the next area and use it like a big portable turret?

Son of a bitch just cleared out a room with five guys, two of whom were cloaked. Just plopped it down in the entryway and listened to the bullets fly, enemies scream and glass shatter as XP rewards scrolled by the screen. Why oh why didn't I try that sooner!?!

You can take that turret into the third boss fight with you.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Game is longer than I expected. 23 hours in according to Steam and only just now got to
Montreal

Pennybags

GhaleonEB said:

In terms you would certainly understand, the revolver is like a hitscan concussion rifle. Makes for a stupidly overpowered fun time!

GhaleonEB

SenseiJinx said:
You can take that turret into the third boss fight with you.
You just made me very happy. Been lugging it around for a while now. :D

Pennybags said:
In terms you would certainly understand, the revolver is like a hitscan concussion rifle. Makes for a stupidly overpowered fun time!
Second playthrough, confirmed.

soultron

Banned
Finally started it tonight. Walking around Detroit and hacking apartments yielded some explosive results.

Loving it so far. The art direction is phenomenal. The experience, so far, is a homage to sophisticated and complex games of yesteryear. I love how it, IMO, feels like a Deus Ex game and not some simplified, streamlined reboot.

Forkball

I was about to pull my hair out trying to
save Malik. The first time I almost did it (she died right as I blew up the robot) but after that I could not face 'em all. I finally managed to win with some well placed headshots and cloak.

Forkball said:
I was about to pull my hair out trying to
save Malik. The first time I almost did it (she died right as I blew up the robot) but after that I could not face 'em all. I finally managed to win with some well placed headshots and cloak.
This video gives a good indication on how to go about it.
I actually used the tranq rifle and about 4 spacefood bars while sprinting around full speed after EMPing the robot.

just started the game, and it's as awesome as i expected it to be.

Three minor grudges:
a) when nothing prevents it (i imagine in some situations it could be a problem), you should be able to fast travel on the map, inside the hubs. Walking gets boring.

b) This is something that a lot of 'stealth' based games have a trouble with, but on missions where you are not supposed to be spotted, if someone spots you for a 1/20 of a second before getting a bullet in the head, i am sorry, but IT SHOULD NOT COUNT D: . The dude literally does not say a word or even change its position. He is head before the image his retina have of me have a chance to reach any higher level processing part of his brain. And still, i get a signal that i fucked up that part.
Gah!

c) you should be able to pick up a weapon multiple times, just in order to be able to sell them. Don't just give me the ammo! I end up walking back and forth between arm dealer and places where i found lots of weapons. Not sure if i really need the cash, but those implants are expensive, and i made the mistake of shelling out lots of dough to the whore at the beginning.

Quick questions:
a) I am on a rooftop of that building in toronto where i deactivated some antenna. Malika is waiting to take me to my next mission. I strongly (because of that idiotic little count on load screens) suspect this is my last mission in detroit. I haven't completely finished (but almost entirely) the side mission for the cop who's trying to pin o'malley. Will i get a chance to go back to detroit after that mission, or.. should i backtrack through that gangbanger infested territory just to finish the mission?

b) i am playing a not very violent character so far. No typhoon. Difficuly medium. Am I fucked for the bosses?

Nymerio

The bosses are pretty easy. I went into the first bossfight with nothing but my tranq rifle. You don't even need a weapon for the first boss, I just threw barrels and the gas cylinders at him. I lucked out on the second boss:
when she came running towards me at the beginning of the fight, i evaded slightly to to the right and she kinda kept running into the wall doing nothing.

harriet the spy said:
b) This is something that a lot of 'stealth' based games have a trouble with, but on missions where you are not supposed to be spotted, if someone spots you for a 1/20 of a second before getting a bullet in the head, i am sorry, but IT SHOULD NOT COUNT D: . The dude literally does not say a word or even change its position. He is head before the image his retina have of me have a chance to reach any higher level processing part of his brain. And still, i get a signal that i fucked up that part.
Gah!

c) you should be able to pick up a weapon multiple times, just in order to be able to sell them. Don't just give me the ammo! I end up walking back and forth between arm dealer and places where i found lots of weapons. Not sure if i really need the cash, but those implants are expensive, and i made the mistake of shelling out lots of dough to the whore at the beginning.

Quick questions:
a) I am on a rooftop of that building in toronto where i deactivated some antenna. Malika is waiting to take me to my next mission. I strongly (because of that idiotic little count on load screens) suspect this is my last mission in detroit. I haven't completely finished (but almost entirely) the side mission for the cop who's trying to pin o'malley. Will i get a chance to go back to detroit after that mission, or.. should i backtrack through that gangbanger infested territory just to finish the mission?

b) i am playing a not very violent character so far. No typhoon. Difficuly medium. Am I fucked for the bosses?
As long as they don't hit an alarm or a camera goes to full alert it will not affect the Foxiest of the Hounds achievement. This means if there are only 2 guys in a room feel free to tranq one and run up to the other for a takedown.

Money really isn't a problem in this game. I did the same thing a few times before getting sick of trekking back and forth and still had tons of money at the end of the game as well as buying every Praxis kit I came across.

You come back to Detroit but I can't be 100% sure you can do that mission again as I did everything the first time. Just remember that at this point all the guys you knocked out are still down for the count. I didn't turn that tower off my first time through the territory for some stupid reason so I went back and most of the people were still knocked out so it was a cakewalk.

Bosses are super easy. As long as you have 3-4 gas grenades you are golden. Only tricky one is the 2nd and even then it isn't that bad. All the other bosses can be exploited easily.

Does anybody else think that Pritchard has the creepiest smile in a videogame?

Go to the beginning, when he fixes your retinal display. *shivers*

finished it this afternoon. Loved it. Boss battles were the only annoying bit, but mainly because I wasn't playing this as an action game (Which is how I play most games- I always roll a soldier/warrior) but as a stealth game. While I loved Splinter Cell Conviction and MGS4-, DE is a better stealth game.

derFeef

Can you actually lose the longer arguments? I do not have the communication aug and I won all of them so far, so maybe you win them anyway?

Wallach

thetechkid said:
Someone explain that.

Explain losing social battles? Picking certain combinations of responses during social battles will result in "failed" conclusions to them. That has different repercussions depending on which social battle you're taking part in.

Wallach

derFeef said:
Oh cool, I love those battle of words. Does the aug just give you hints or is it acutally telling you what to say/ask.

The aug will give you some additional information, but actually using it against a person involves releasing pheromones that you have to select based on their personality type (which you'll pick up readings of as they speak to help you figure out which type they are). Doing this isn't always a good thing, as it can result in a different outcome than winning a social battle normally. Some people also have proper augmentation to know when you are trying to use the CASIE pheromones so it will not work on them at all.

Orcastar

Whew, finally finished it the other day. What an awesome game, though the boss battles were stupid
(first one wasn't bad, the second I cheesed by getting Typhoon (which I never used again after that), third one was ridiculously easy with the grenade launcher and last one was just sniping)
, especially for a stealth character and
the ending was pretty weak.

After the opening level, I decided I would go for the Pacifist trophy and so I went through the whole game using only non-leathal takedowns; I think I fired the tranq rifle less than 10 times throughout the game and didn't use any other weapons outside boss battles. Then, when I was nearing the end, I just suddenly had this moment where I went "hang on, I shot a dozen enemies with the combat rifle during the opening level". Man, I felt like an idiot, I could have been sniping away with the silenced sniper rifle the whole time like I usually did in the fist DE! Oh well, at least I got Foxiest of the Hounds and Legend.

sephi22

Fantastic game. I'm really in the 'zone' now. I'm breezing past the missions even though I'm playing a no kill hard playthrough.

I hit a bit of a rough spot in Montreal
after coming out from the funicular I threw a crate at the camera, which set off an alarm that I didn't notice. I played through the whole thing, beat the Mantis, then when I didn't get Smooth Operator I did some research online and realized my folly. FUUUUUU..

Had to replay the whole thing from Picus.

Also, how far am I from the end? I'm currently at the
Belltower Docks saving the scientists.

If a robot sees me (Whether the ones you can carry or the Big Box ones), does that count as an alarm??
Thanks.

sephi22 said:
Also, how far am I from the end? I'm currently at the
Belltower Docks saving the scientists.

One more level after this.

MaddenNFL64

How neat would it have been if instead of some setpiece, they gave these mercs mad powers & health, but you fought them, or had opportunities to kill them just in normal settings, like the first game? I dunno, maybe this setpiece style works for them, but I would have liked to fuck these mercs up planting mines everywhere, then leading them through a hallway or some shit lmao.

Or better yet, not have to kill them at all.

Kazzy

MaddenNFL64 said:
How neat would it have been if instead of some setpiece, they gave these mercs mad powers & health, but you fought them, or had opportunities to kill them just in normal settings, like the first game? I dunno, maybe this setpiece style works for them, but I would have liked to fuck these mercs up planting mines everywhere, then leading them through a hallway or some shit lmao.

They could have worked in their current state if you didn't encounter them in an entirely closed off area, not immediately being hostile would have at least let you work around with different tactics.

charsace

Wallach said:
The aug will give you some additional information, but actually using it against a person involves releasing pheromones that you have to select based on their personality type (which you'll pick up readings of as they speak to help you figure out which type they are). Doing this isn't always a good thing, as it can result in a different outcome than winning a social battle normally. Some people also have proper augmentation to know when you are trying to use the CASIE pheromones so it will not work on them at all.
The aug also picks up on things and creates responses for you.

MaddenNFL64

Watanabe Kazuma said:
They could have worked in their current state if you didn't encounter them in an entirely closed off area, not immediately being hostile would have at least let you work around with different tactics.

Remember Walton Simons? Dude had crazy augs to protect him, plus a weapon that if it hit you, would kill you pretty much instantly. But you could just sneak past him hah.

rukland

reptilescorpio said:
Exploding Robots do not void the Pacifist achievement.

Are you sure? Because if so this means I can stop worrying about the death it always seems to cause on the return trip to China.

I have no issues taking everyone down using gas and tranq shots. But I swear the damn robot blowing up always seems to kill at least one after I knocked them out. So if that really does not effect Pacifist then I can stop reloading now.

Turfster

rukland said:
But I swear the damn robot blowing up always seems to kill at least one after I knocked them out. So if that really does not effect Pacifist then I can stop reloading now.
If it explodes and kills someone, you're screwed for Pacifist, sorry.
So basically... drag the unconscious guy awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay really really quickly.

conman

Just finished last night after a day-long marathon session yesterday.

As a sci-fi RPG, it handily outdoes the Mass Effect series in many, many ways--both big and small. And as a stealth game, it's among the best in genre (Thief: The Dark Project, MGS4, and the original Splinter Cell). But, man, those boss battles are all over the place. For the final boss, I definitely thought I'd done something wrong because
it was soooooooooo easy (played on Hard). Shot at the three revolving guns from behind cover. Then ran up and shot Zhao. Very little damage taken. Did it first time without dying. Compare that to the other three bosses where I spent hours dying and dying and dying.

I'm also pissed that I missed the "Foxiest of the Hounds" trophy. I didn't even so much as alert a guard, let alone trigger an alarm. At 30 hours or so to completion, I'm definitely not replaying it just for that.

Otherwise, a really exceptional experience.

Kazzy

rukland said:
Are you sure? Because if so this means I can stop worrying about the death it always seems to cause on the return trip to China.

I have no issues taking everyone down using gas and tranq shots. But I swear the damn robot blowing up always seems to kill at least one after I knocked them out. So if that really does not effect Pacifist then I can stop reloading now.

The explosion does count as killing any nearby guards, on that part specifically if you jump up onto the second level and take care of those 3 guards you should have time to disable the mech before those on the far side have time to close in.

Or you could just high-tail it for the lift, I have to admit even on my second playthrough I found it hard to just 'leave' Malik behind. Finding the body is nasty stuff :(m

JohngPR

MaddenNFL64 said:
Remember Walton Simons? Dude had crazy augs to protect him, plus a weapon that if it hit you, would kill you pretty much instantly. But you could just sneak past him hah.

You know how he runs up to you to trigger the cutscene? After he killed me the first time, I simply hit him with a rocket launcher while he was walking up to me to initiate a conversation....instakill.

LMAO

rukland

Watanabe Kazuma said:
The explosion does count as killing any nearby guards, on that part specifically if you jump up onto the second level and take care of those 3 guards you should have time to disable the mech before those on the far side have time to close in.

Or you could just high-tail it for the lift, I have to admit even on my second playthrough I found it hard to just 'leave' Malik behind. Finding the body is nasty stuff :(m

So if I have gotten the trophy to pop already is there any real reason to save her? Am I missing out on anything later?

Guess I will give this a couple more tries and then just take the "other" way out. I don't want to ruin my clean no kill run so far.

MaddenNFL64

JohngPR said:
You know how he runs up to you to trigger the cutscene? After he killed me the first time, I simply hit him with a rocket launcher while he was walking up to me to initiate a conversation....instakill.

LMAO

You had a Mayweather sucker punch moment!

Turfster

rukland said:
So if I have gotten the trophy to pop already is there any real reason to save her? Am I missing out on anything later?
First: You monster. Second: Not really, all she still does is pick a few people up, and that's it.
It was rather disappointing, actually,
since saving her was hard work dammit.

rukland

Turfster said:
First: You monster. Second: Not really, all she still does is pick a few people up, and that's it.
It was rather disappointing, actually,
since saving her was hard work dammit.

Well I want to save her but to hell with that part in general
One more try
before I really become a monster and cloak through the whole thing

Kazzy

rukland said:

Guess I will give this a couple more tries and then just take the "other" way out. I don't want to ruin my clean no kill run so far.

No not really, well unless you like having NO SOUL!

She shows up once more and helps clear the way for your escape from one area, she doesn't have a big impact after the fact though. Its more of a satisfaction thing.

I'm such a wimp when it comes to those sort of decisions though, I can't help but feel bad!

conman

Meisadragon said:
Eidos Montreal seems to have outsourced the boss fights according to this Behind the Scenes video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9YbSkOW7sU
That interview explains a lot about what was so bad about the boss design. For example, his discussion of fighter pilot duels and trying to cut a tighter "loop" than the other pilot. No wonder the most obvious strategy for each boss is just to
run in circles
, and no wonder pretty much every boss area is structured as a series of 2-3 concentric circles. Even in a traditional FPS, that's horribly outdated design from the Doom era.

sephi22

Meisadragon said:
Eidos Montreal seems to have outsourced the boss fights according to this Behind the Scenes video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9YbSkOW7sU
SMH

A lot of this game reminds me of MGS and I wish the boss battles had some of that too. Right now I'm running out of inventory space despite having the full inventory unlocked because I'm carrying around a PEPS, a Shotgun, and an almost fully maxed out pistol in case I need 'em against the bosses.

rukland

Watanabe Kazuma said:
No not really, well unless you like having NO SOUL!

I'm such a wimp when it comes to those sort of decisions, I can't help but feel bad!

I already have no soul
I took the bribe already in the game as well

sephi22 said:
SMH

A lot of this game reminds me of MGS and I wish the boss battles had some of that too. Right now I'm running out of inventory space despite having the full inventory unlocked because I'm carrying around a PEPS, a Shotgun, and an almost fully maxed out pistol in case I need 'em against the bosses.
You don't. Seriously, I'm finishing up my third playthrough now and I've beaten all of the bosses without using a single gun except for the stun gun, which I only used in one battle. I haven't used typhoon either. Hint: stock up on grenades and mines.

sephi22

The_Darkest_Red said:
You don't. Seriously, I'm finishing up my third playthrough now and I've beaten all of the bosses without using a single gun except for the stun gun, which I only used in one battle. I haven't used typhoon either. Hint: stock up on grenades and mines.
I've done the first two battles and I ended up
using the barrels and grenades in the first one. For the second one I had typhoon unlocked but had only 1 energy cell, so I did a combination of PEPS shots, Stun gun, shotgun and Typhoon to take her down. I'll try the falcon punch approach on the third one and I guess I'll sell the shotgun ASAP

sephi22 said:
I've done the first two battles and I ended up
using the barrels and grenades in the first one. For the second one I had typhoon unlocked but had only 1 energy cell, so I did a combination of PEPS shots, Stun gun, shotgun and Typhoon to take her down. I'll try the falcon punch approach on the third one and I guess I'll sell the shotgun ASAP
For the third boss I just tossed two frag mines and three frag grenades from cover. He never even had a chance to move.

Top Bottom