• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

SkylineRKR

For the third battle, if you have the DLC

You can simply unload with the grenade launcher you got from Tong. I think it takes no more than about 4 shots

Finally got the platinum. It felt especially good to see Foxiest of the Hounds pop up, especially considering how I thought I should have gotten it on my last playthrough. I was a little nervous.

I managed to finish the game without using any guns or takedowns (minus the bosses, of course). I did use a frag mine to blow up a breakable wall and knock a guy out though, but other than that it was a complete ninja run. I couldn't have done it without the help of the guide.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Been sippin this game like a fine wine ever since release. Im on my 2nd visit to China now. Not sure how far in he game i am. I should be finishing soon, right?

Anyway, one of the greatest games ever made hands down. Skill system is one of the best ever because every skill is actually useable. The world and its history is so engrossing and one of the best realized and developed from both a practical and storytelling standpoint. (Like Blade Runner).

If you havent bought this yet, 34$ on amazon right now is a steal. Everyone needs to buy this. They dont make the good stuff like this anymore.

~Kinggi~ said:
Been sippin this game like a fine wine ever since release. Im on my 2nd visit to China now. Not sure how far in he game i am. I should be finishing soon, right?

Anyway, one of the greatest games ever made hands down. Skill system is one of the best ever because every skill is actually useable. The world and its history is so engrossing and one of the best realized and developed from both a practical and storytelling standpoint. (Like Blade Runner).

If you havent bought this yet, 34$ on amazon right now is a steal. Everyone needs to buy this. They dont make the good stuff like this anymore.

Amen bro!

Nymerio

conman said:
Just finished last night after a day-long marathon session yesterday.

As a sci-fi RPG, it handily outdoes the Mass Effect series in many, many ways--both big and small. And as a stealth game, it's among the best in genre (Thief: The Dark Project, MGS4, and the original Splinter Cell). But, man, those boss battles are all over the place. For the final boss, I definitely thought I'd done something wrong because
it was soooooooooo easy (played on Hard). Shot at the three revolving guns from behind cover. Then ran up and shot Zhao. Very little damage taken. Did it first time without dying. Compare that to the other three bosses where I spent hours dying and dying and dying.

I'm also pissed that I missed the "Foxiest of the Hounds" trophy. I didn't even so much as alert a guard, let alone trigger an alarm. At 30 hours or so to completion, I'm definitely not replaying it just for that.

Otherwise, a really exceptional experience.

That's what I liked about the last boss. You could basically stealth your way through it.
Keypad in the center to disable the life support, and laser Zao through the glass.

~Kinggi~

Banned
The Broken Ska Record said:
I don't want to waste more time on this, but
is there a way to save Malik when the BEE goes down in Hengsha?
I just can't seem to do it. Too many guys.
Was wondering the same thing. I never did. /sadface

Fitz

The Broken Ska Record said:
I don't want to waste more time on this, but
is there a way to save Malik when the BEE goes down in Hengsha?
I just can't seem to do it. Too many guys.

Yeah there is, did it myself this morning, failed miserably on my first attempt though,
make sure to take out the big guys on the ground first, and also prioritise the mech when it lands, if you've got an EMP grenade/mine, throw it asap. I killed the rest with my battle rifle, the first time I tried to snipe everyone but it took way to long.

2nd boss was really easy compared to the first. Mostly because I had the skin augment so electricity doesn't hurt you, only took me one retry. Just
got back to Detroit where the riots are happening
, I can't even put the game down now.

Colkate said:
Yeah there is, did it myself this morning, failed miserably on my first attempt though,
make sure to take out the big guys on the ground first, and also prioritise the mech when it lands, if you've got an EMP grenade/mine, throw it asap. I killed the rest with my battle rifle, the first time I tried to snipe everyone but it took way to long.
Thanks! I was able to pull through and
save Malik

MaddenNFL64

All you gotta do is stealth around. At this point you must have hoarded a shit ton of protein packs, so use 'em. If you wanna do it with guns, run all the way up to the left side of Maliks chopper, theres a cover spot that overlooks all the bad dudes. Toss nades, shoot at them, etc. Doable on hard, just be fast about taking down the heavies.

Dibbz

I've been going back through the trailers of Deus Ex HR since I never kept up with it.

This trailer is so epic. The CG plus the music makes it almost too good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxggelRuM0&list=FL1xEiSsqxD-i2Yt0nH4Tv-Q&index=6

One thing annoys the hell out of me though. The fact that the Dr and her team
are kidnapped but at the end of the game they don't even act like that had happened. It's so annoying. You go through everything to find them and they turn out to be working in a different company. There is no closure on Dr Reed. She just gets up and runs away leaving you to fight zombie guys :|

I know I've already said this before but that trailer got me going again. Gotta replay this again though.

MNC

A Human Becoming said:
PC players: How do I copy my saves before uninstalling?
Steam cloud. Synchronizes all of your settings including your saves. I can't vouch for this but it should work.

GhaleonEB

MaddenNFL64 said:
All you gotta do is stealth around. At this point you must have hoarded a shit ton of protein packs, so use 'em. If you wanna do it with guns, run all the way up to the left side of Maliks chopper, theres a cover spot that overlooks all the bad dudes. Toss nades, shoot at them, etc. Doable on hard, just be fast about taking down the heavies.
I sniped the heavies and the sniper across (tagged the barrel next to him), used rockets on the big duded (was out of EMP grenades), and then worked along the right side with my uber-10mm and cleaned everyone out. Took around 3 attempts.

I really liked that I had the option of
rescuing Malik.
I wasn't sure if I'd be able, but it was a great option and I liked the little payoff. I wish the game had more sequences like that, rather than formal boss battles.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everybody tell how they handled (Early midgame-spoilers)
escaping from the 10 or 12-guard ambush at Tai Yong after you talk to Zhao!

I had just acquired the cloak aug finally and immediately knew I wanted to do it without even engaging a single enemy. I waited for them to establish their patrols, tossed a concussion grenade, waited 2 seconds, jumped straight down to the floor level (Icarus Drop), activated cloak, mad dash to the elevator. Less than 8 seconds between throwing the grenade and being safe in the elevator on my first try. Nobody even spotted me once.

I missed out on plenty of XP and items, but I just really felt like doing it that way. :p

Ken

Hawkian said:

I had just acquired the cloak aug finally and immediately knew I wanted to do it without even engaging a single enemy. I waited for them to establish their patrols, tossed a concussion grenade, waited 2 seconds, jumped straight down to the floor level (Icarus Drop), activated cloak, mad dash to the elevator. Less than 8 seconds between throwing the grenade and being safe in the elevator on my first try. Nobody even spotted me once.

I missed out on plenty of XP and items, but I just really felt like doing it that way. :p

Cloaked and made a rush to the vent before it consumed one full cell, recharged in the vent, and cloaked and walked towards the elevator.

Island

Hawkian said:

This is what makes this game awesome. I really care less about the xp, its all about finding unique ways to complete things.

Take the
Malik
situation. Felt like a complete badass moving from one guy to the next munching bars, and taking down peeps, then Icarus dropping, sprinting to the other side and doing it again. Helps that the music was SO intense in that part. Most memorable part of the game for me so far out of a very memorable game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, did a new patch remove the PC FoV setting?
I haven't played for about a week, and it doesn't feel like it's set at 90 anymore... couldn't find the option :(

IoCaster

Hawkian said:

Planted a frag mine at both elevator doors and the entryway before I went up to see Zhao. I learned to cover my back after the Pods. Usually I just reclaim the mines if they're not needed, but in this case they got the job done. After the explosions I went down, looted the bodies and strolled to the exit.

Wallach

Ken said:
Cloaked and made a rush to the vent before it consumed one full cell, recharged in the vent, and cloaked and walked towards the elevator.

I did almost this same thing except
I didn't use any cloak getting into the vent. I kind of had an "oh shit' moment and just leaped over the railing and dove in there before any of them managed to see me.

GhaleonEB

Hawkian said:

I ran down to the balcony directly overlooking them when they were still standing in formation, getting directions from their squad leader. I tossed two gas grenades, one on either side of the room, and went back upstairs to watch the XP pile up.

Gassed all 10 of them out cold; lots'o loot to grab on the way out. Felt so awesome.

Replicant

Ken said:
This. It was quite easy except for the few seconds when you try to
get out of the vent undetected

Dibbz

Wallach said:
I did almost this same thing except
I didn't use any cloak getting into the vent. I kind of had an "oh shit' moment and just leaped over the railing and dove in there before any of them managed to see me.
I done the same. This was my favourite part of the game. It felt so much like Mirrors Edge doing it this way. Was awesome.

legend166

So how far near the end am I?

Spoilers:
I just went to Taggart's aide's place and found his hidden lair and something else happened which I can't remember.

I don't know why the game suddenly decided to revert back to it's linear ways, but it was disappointing.

Game without bosses = 8/10.

Game with bosses = 6/10.

sephi22

Trooper.
Legend.
Pacifist.
Foxiest of the Hounds.

sogood.gif

Excellent game. I missed the XP books, 50 takedowns, the basketball and the gun nut trophies so will get them in my 'Terminator' playthrough (on easy this time).

The endings were kind of disappointing. I wanted to see what happens to the world based on your decisions at the end. Dues Ex 1 players probably have an idea but this being my first DE game I really want to know what happens next.

Guess I'll play Dues Ex before I start my second playthrough. Naturally, I missed all the throwbacks to the first game, and the post-credit scene didn't have an impact for me. :(

rukland

MuseManMike said:
On easy. 8/10

On anything but easy, 7/10.

I dunno there is nothing hard about the "hard" mode. At least if you are playing stealth. Bosses are a joke so far and I can't see them getting much harder.

ctrayne

I love watching the wildly different reactions to bosses. I found them largely manageable but the 2nd one gave me trouble until I got the EMP protection. It's all in your approach, and even though a lot of people whine about bosses, I think the differing methods players have come up with to defeat them is a feather in the game's cap.
Walton Simons was a much bigger pain in the butt to kill than anything in DXHR.

sephi22

MuseManMike said:
On easy. 8/10

I dunno.
Hard mode made me play in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise. Hard mode = death in 2-3 seconds. Hence I played stealthy/avoided confrontation and discovered so much about this game. I discovered the importance of hacking, gained tons of XP through exploration, saved ammo, got extra praxis points, discovered alternate strategies to get past enemies, etc. etc. I'm pretty sure if I had a choice, I would've just played this game like any other shooter and wouldn't have discovered the beauty of choice.

I feel like this about a lot of games. The original Bioshock on Survivor = the only way to play it. I discovered the importance of using Big Daddys against other enemies and alternate plasmids that don't do direct damage. Enjoyed the game a hell of a lot more.

Same with Dead Space 2 on Hardcore.

Vorg

Banned
MuseManMike said:
On easy. 8/10

Why? Since the game lets you save and reload in literally any situation I don't get the complaints about it's difficulty. Still half way through it but it's already one of my favourite games of the generation.

ctrayne said:
I love watching the wildly different reactions to bosses. I found them largely manageable but the 2nd one gave me trouble until I got the EMP protection. It's all in your approach, and even though a lot of people whine about bosses, I think the differing methods players have come up with to defeat them is a feather in the game's cap.
Walton Simons was a much bigger pain in the butt to kill than anything in DXHR.
I agree, and playing the game multiple times through really reinforces that point. The one negative comment I will throw at the bosses is that they actually become too easy by the time you've played them 2 or 3 times. There are just so many easy ways to beat them.

I thought the boss fights were great my first time through though, and I still enjoyed fighting them on my third playthrough. They weren't difficult by that point and I had some pretty cheap strategies to beat them but I still enjoyed the change of pace and the way the fights were presented.

Top Bottom