• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

conman

Bisnic said:
10155398.jpg
There's no reason not to do this. It's actually much harder to find some of those codes, so I don't know why you don't get bigger rewards for finding/using the codes.

Alucrid

Banned
EatChildren said:
The new lighting/shading is so pretty.

http://www.abload.de/img/dxa5yju.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dxbpzbp.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dxcu983.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dxd39c4.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Shit...why do I keep buying games for the 360 again?

Forkball said:
What is
the Hyron project really? That kinda came out of nowhere and they never really explained what it did or what is was for. Figuring out that the strange outfit in Zhou's office was actually the test suit for this was pretty mindblowing though, I'll give 'em that.
Thematically,
it was basically a flip-flop. Instead of integrating machines into humans, we now have humans integrated into machines. Pretty chilling.

As for it's actual purpose,
it was supposed to prevent the deep pressure of the ocean differential from cracking the hull something DERP

MechaX

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, that was a really nice touch as well.
Although I would say that Malik never lied to him either. When it came down to it, Malik and Pritchard were really the two characters that Adam could really rely on at the end of the game. Everyone else was full of self interest and lies.

A case could be made for Sarif as well. He never so much lies to you as opposed to hiding tons of information in the most swarmy way possible. But to Sarif's credit, regardless of how misguided his motives might have been, he always did things for Adam's purposes. Hell, I was surprised when even after finding his ass at Panchea, Sarif still never made some big betrayal that I think everyone was expecting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Beat it tonight too, I'll post more in the morning but it was a great game. Is Jensen in the original game? Or is he a new character?

Might try a hard play through now (only 3 difficulties right?) see if I can get pacifist too.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Is the attack after a wall smash always lethal? The first time it happened, the dude on the other side got his neck snapped, and I reloaded the save. Seems like it would be useful but maybe I'll have to save it for a "kill everything" play through on hard difficulty early next year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
^ I think so, yeah.

conman said:
There's no reason not to do this. It's actually much harder to find some of those codes, so I don't know why you don't get bigger rewards for finding/using the codes.
You should definitely get some XP for using codes. I'm not sure more is necessary or appropriate, but it's silly to give nothing. It ultimately just makes codes pointless, I hacked almost everything regardless.

nib95

Banned
I have to say. About mid way(?) through China and honestly, I'm massively disappointed by this game. Just feel these days my opinions are further and further from reviewers or journalist opinions.

This game just feels slightly bleak, empty, soulless and lacking in depth. Big sprawling cities with repeat NCP's, assets, rooms, tasks, limited range of weapons etc. The graphics are bleak, flat and also feel slightly lifeless or aged. Most random characters say nothing of value or are near useless, repeat doors, safes, everything just feels a bit repetitive and ho hum.

I mean it has it's moments, but overall, I can't help but think it could have been so much more ambitious, and with so much more polish. Coming straight off the back of The Witcher 2, this game just pales in comparison in almost every way. Yet review scores wise, you wouldn't think so.

Maybe I need to play it more...but so far, it's well below expectations.

Vorg

Banned
nib95 said:
I have to say. About mid way(?) through China and honestly, I'm massively disappointed by this game. Just feel these days my opinions are further and further from reviewers or journalist opinions.

This game just feels slightly bleak, empty, soulless and lacking in depth. Big sprawling cities with repeat NCP's, assets, rooms, tasks, limited range of weapons etc. The graphics are bleak, flat and also feel slightly lifeless or aged. Most random characters say nothing of value or are near useless, repeat doors, safes, everything just feels a bit repetitive and ho hum.

I mean it has it's moments, but overall, I can't help but think it could have been so much more ambitious, and with so much more polish. Coming straight off the back of The Witcher 2, this game just pales in comparison in almost every way. Yet review scores wise, you wouldn't think so.

Finished the game today and for me it's the complete opposite. Loved every second. Also, the range of weapons is definitely not limited. Same for the number of ways you may approach tasks or enemies. Game of the year so far in my opinion.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
nib95 said:

You know what, I completely agree with you on the atmosphere and repetitiveness points.

The game is enjoyable, sure, but it has many glaring flaws.

Kyoufu

I think I'm slowly falling for this game...

I didn't touch it after a couple weeks but last night I ended up playing it for 6 hours straight. I really love the music/atmosphere.

Best part about the game's world to me is in fact Jensen's apartment. It just makes me think of Blade Runner so much. :3

Also picked up the heavy rifle along the way. Nobody can touch me.

Nugg

My pacifist run didn't work out. The achievement didn't pop.

I didn't kill anyone, even in the prologue. I didn't even have lethal weapons on myself most of the time, I just picked up whatever was lying around before boss fights, and droped it back after the boss.

I triggered a few alarms, but didn't care, since I got Foxiest on my previous run.

Didn't kill anyone on side quests, even when asked to. Hell I have no clue, I'm pissed. :(

Anilones

Nugg said:

I didn't kill anyone, even in the prologue. I didn't even have lethal weapons on myself most of the time, I just picked up whatever was lying around before boss fights, and droped it back after the boss.

I triggered a few alarms, but didn't care, since I got Foxiest on my previous run.

Didn't kill anyone on side quests, even when asked to. Hell I have no clue, I'm pissed. :(
There can be instances that headshots with the tranq rifle can kill. There are a few missions which encourage you to kill, which you must not do. Also, turrets and robots against enemies count as kills.

MaddenNFL64

Nugg said:

Heres the thing, the game is glitchy sometimes. You may have darted, or stun gunned a guy sitting on a couch, or leaning against a wall. He may have died instantly, because the game is glitchy with that stuff. You see some bastards sitting down, or leaning back, and you need to take em down, use hand to hand, or save & try your luck with your non lethals. Usually you will be ok, but sometime the game will glitch out, and the dudes will die from non lethal weapons.

Anilones said:
There can be instances that headshots with the tranq rifle can kill. There are a few missions which encourage you to kill, which you must not do. Also, turrets and robots against enemies count as kills.

From my experience, this never happens on enemies who are in normal standing, or patrolling stances. But those leaning, or sitting fellas, watch out.

Nugg

Anilones said:
There can be instances that headshots with the tranq rifle can kill. There are a few missions which encourage you to kill
Holy shit I did not know that. I bet that's it. I scored a few headshots, I remember getting extra experience for it.

Replicant

Nugg said:

Be careful when you drag an unconscious body around. Don't drop it from great height. Don't let a body fall into a water, especially an electrocuted one. Also, there's a part in Panchea where there are a bunch of bodies near mine. I was never sure if they are already dead or still alive. The thing is the mine is very hard to disarm. So I decided not to take a chance and just went another way.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
In just about every case, approaching the body has shown me the sleeping icon rather than the skull that was on
the suicide aug in the Sarif factory
so hopefully I'm still good. Some type of stats screen would really help to let me know if I should even bother continuing to use the non-lethal weapons. Developers need to stop implementing achievements/trophies that they are not capable of programming around.

Nugg

Mooreberg said:
Developers need to stop implementing achievements/trophies that they are not capable of programming around.
Also, I hate achievements that go directly against some quests or game mechanics. "Hey! There's this mean guy that keep picking on us hookers! Kill him! Drop him from the roof!!"
Achievement failed! *trollface*

NBtoaster

It's weird the game doesn't have some kind of statistics page where you can confirm how many kills/stuns /alarms you have, so you're not left guessing until the end.

MaddenNFL64

Mooreberg said:
In just about every case, approaching the body has shown me the sleeping icon rather than the skull that was on
the suicide aug in the Sarif factory
so hopefully I'm still good. Some type of stats screen would really help to let me know if I should even bother continuing to use the non-lethal weapons. Developers need to stop implementing achievements/trophies that they are not capable of programming around.

A kill/knockout stat that you can check would help alot. For now, just gotta double & triple check everyone you have incapacitated.

nib95 said:

This game just feels slightly bleak, empty, soulless and lacking in depth.
Big sprawling cities with repeat NCP's, assets, rooms, tasks, limited range of weapons etc. The graphics are bleak, flat and also feel slightly lifeless or aged. Most random characters say nothing of value or are near useless, repeat doors, safes, everything just feels a bit repetitive and ho hum.

Can´t agree with that.
But i have to say that i have become slightly less enthousiastic further on in the game due to the repetitiveness of certain things.

Still a great game imo. Taking a break from it to play a bit of Gears of War. I´m curious to see what i think of the game after that.

conman said:

They can fix this by giving you XP for opening locked doors, rather than for hacking itself. That or give you XP for using a door code, greater than the XP for hacking the lock (to balance against the datastore rewards).

nib95 said:

I hope we get at least a good 12 months of love for the game before the whole of Gaf turns on it, ME2 style.

ENB looks amazing... what's with Nvidia only? :(

I need that for my second playthrough!

ThoseDeafMutes said:
I hope we get at least a good 12 months of love for the game before the whole of Gaf turns on it, ME2 style.
People get caught up in the moment with some games and then see the flaws on reflection?

Shocker.

Moreso than that, when it's a game like ME/DE there's a huge group of people who will just argue/defend it to death in the OT for the first few months. It's kinda a hassle to voice negative opinions at times. The longer that time passes, the more of those people stop visiting the threads and it's easier to voice your disappointments.

Esch

Banned
nib95 said:

This is exactly how i felt. Played it off the back of WII as well, the dialogue in that game and level structure just blows this away

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Foliorum Viridum said:
EPeople get caught up in the moment with some games and then see the flaws on reflection?

Shocker.

Moreso than that, when it's a game like ME/DE there's a huge group of people who will just argue/defend it to death in the OT for the first few months. It's kinda a hassle to voice negative opinions at times. The longer that time passes, the more of those people stop visiting the threads and it's easier to voice your disappointments.

And then it wins GAF's GOTY anyway, and the cycle starts anew.

Haha, yeah, that's when those people start popping up again.

I really don't think there's many backlashes on GAF though. The people who I see being positive when a game is first out remain positive, those who are negative remain negative. It's just about when those people decide to voice their opinions more than before.

I think it's reasonable to realise something isn't as great as you first thought in retrospect, though. I've definitely done that with a few games.

Esch

Banned
I wouldn't say that I'm negative per se. I quite like a lot about this game. I just don't think it's a huge quantum leap forward that a lot are portraying it to be. On pure content though and not ambition.... This game gets it. And at this point that almost matters more considering how saturated with shit the market is. Nib is right though, this game is pretty repetitive....But it's a video game, no hate. I think there are a lot of ways they could improve this with a followup, but it still a good good game.

Oh, absolutely. There are lots of things you can pick apart and want improved and I think even the biggest defender of the game will admit that.

The reason it's so loved, I think, is because it feels like Deus Ex. That's so hard to do; an achievement in itself.

I'm pretty much a self-proclaimed HR fanboy at this point but I don't mind when people voice negative opinions.

Looking back on HR I can definitely spot some areas that I would like to see improvement in. More complex and well-designed boss fights, more than one mini-game for accessing locked out doors, safes, and computers, more stealth options, and making the combat focus more viable are all front-runners for me.

The thing is, all of those things are asking for more. Despite any areas in HR that I may perceive as lacking now when I sit back and look at the game for what it is I still come away feeling like I've had more fun with this game than any other throughout this generation. It will be hard for anything that comes out this fall to top this as my GOTY. I would say Dark Souls is probably the game with the best shot.

Zeliard

Ultimately, hindsight is 20/20. I know people like to mock the hype ---> backlash sequence but it's a fairly natural thing. Only after some time has passed and you've divorced yourself a bit from the hype and excitement and such can you appraise certain things with a clearer eye.

HR is certainly far from perfect and has a host of issues, but still gets love from me for being such a rare style of game nowadays, and for doing many things well, and better than Invisible War did. IW left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths.

I think there were two main reasons why this game got so much hype. First of all, it was billed as the "proper" sequel to Deus Ex, a game that is almost universally loved and worshiped here on GAF. Secondly, when people actually started playing the game and realizing that it had more in common with a game like Deus Ex than the common trends we see in gaming today they exploded with joy and hype. It's rare to see a game fight the currents that are so prevalent in gaming these days, and it's even rarer for that game to be a big-budget sequel to a cult classic.

The way I see it, this game was practically made with the typical GAF member as the target audience. Whether or not the game ultimately resonated with folks here is another issue, but it was hard for everyone not to get sucked into the hype that came with the initial first impressions.

Personally I think the game lived up to the initial hype. It's not perfect but I enjoyed every moment I spent with this game immensely, and it basically consumed all of my free time until I had played through it three times. It takes a special kind of game to get that from me.

webrunner

Nugg said:
Also, I hate achievements that go directly against some quests or game mechanics. "Hey! There's this mean guy that keep picking on us hookers! Kill him! Drop him from the roof!!"
Achievement failed! *trollface*

That one, you can convince the person to let you take care of him non-lethally if you want, iirc.

webrunner said:
That one, you can convince the person to let you take care of him non-lethally if you want, iirc.
Yeah but you can't get the achievement. Either way it's a simple solution.
Save your game before talking to the girl (the quest giver), finish the mission lethally and get the achievement. Now load the game back up and do the side-quest non-lethally.

RyanardoDaVinci said:
WTF, you can disarm mines?

Yeah, it confused me at first, because in the first game you had to run up and disarm it as quickly as possible. In this one, you have to crouch, and move as slowly as possible up to it. It was a shock when I ran up to my first mine trying to disarm it quickly.

Dennis

Banned
ENB said:
22 september 2011: New version for Deus Ex Human Revolution in development, wait.
And so my first play-through of Deus Ex comes to a full stop. Oh well, I was still in the prequel/tutorial section anyway.

SenseiJinx said:
Yeah, it confused me at first, because in the first game you had to run up and disarm it as quickly as possible. In this one, you have to crouch, and move as slowly as possible up to it. It was a shock when I ran up to my first mine trying to disarm it quickly.

Its just the game.... it doesn`t tell you anything about disarming mines.

When i crossed my first mine slowly ... i just thought "Man what a luck!"

Tanolen

ThoseDeafMutes said:
They can fix this by giving you XP for opening locked doors, rather than for hacking itself. That or give you XP for using a door code, greater than the XP for hacking the lock (to balance against the datastore rewards).

I don't think it will, ME2 was turned on a couple days later, and from what I have seen most of the internet likes this game.

GhaleonEB

A few thoughts now that I'm a little bit into my second play through.

I'm enjoying this run on the hardest setting a lot more than my first, at the same point in that run. I seldom notice the higher difficulty, which seems to manifest in slightly higher AI awareness and increased damage they deal. But since I'm much smarter and more experienced at casing areas, AI routes and in knowing the limits/quirks of the AI, I'm proceeding much more efficiently - and quietly. That's leading to some satisfying areas, such as the police station, where on my first pass I'd set off every damn alarm in the place. This time I cleared out two floors without so much as a whisper. Felt great.

On my first go I didn't look at the Achievement list at all, this time around I have a list of those I missed (mostly tied to side quests I'd somehow missed) and am working through them. I'm quite pleased that I missed a few, as it's adding some stuff to do this time around. I'm currently helping an undercover cop posing as a hooker.

I wish the game had been more stingy with the credit and XP economy. At no point have I ever wanted for credits. When I find a store, I can buy everything I want with abandon, limited only by my carrying capacity. And 1/2 way into my last game, I was starting to peter out on what Praxis to buy, as I'd filled out most trees to my satisfaction. Many of my later augmentations were just so I could spend them. A tighter reign on XP would encourage more thoughtful selection.

I do wish the game rewarded direct combat a bit more; the game is wonderfully freeform in how it lets me handle approaches - I'm doing things entirely differently this time around - but combat is clearly the jr. of non-lethal stealth take downs as far as the reward systems go. Which is a little odd, considering how much work went into the weapon suite and set of upgrades for them.

There's also a clear hierarchy in terms of ideal upgrade path. In particular, the dividends to pouring Praxis into hacking early on are quite rich (and even one early side quest Achievement is dependent on having done so). So while you certainly can upgrade as you see fit, and play likewise, the game is often rewarding specific tactics over others.

derFeef

I am at the point where I ask myself if I am going to use a gun in this game during normal missions. I am a slow-pacer but I want some action from time to time. I am really not forcing any playstyle as I have set off alarms and avoided the confrontation several times now - I also killed some guys with a double-takedown (very satisfying). But when I read GhaleonEB's post I might just ditch that part of the game. It's a shame really because I love the weapon design and upgrading.

Also - I adore the atmospehre, so good.

Top Bottom