• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, ENB really hurts my FPS too, but also introduces much more input lag and stuttering than usual. The input lag is really weird, as I have vsync and everything else on. I wonder if ENB is forcing it.

GhaleonEB said:
With Deus Ex, we start as a component stealth character, and the perks (Praxis) we can earn make us an awesome one. But we start as a horrible combat character, and the perks make us merely competent. Weapons feature lots of recoil, and most jarring to me is that we can't even aim straight with a scoped weapon.

The difficulty in using a weapon should come from their situational usage, ammo scarcity, and the capabilities and characteristics of the enemies. Not through artificial mechanics such as a roaming reticule and a swinging screen every time we shoot. This is why I love Halo and don't play most other shooters (and hate bloom in Reach).

Aren't there a ridiculous amount of shooters that play as you describe though? COD, Bioshocks, battlefields, Halo, Gears etc

I LIKE having skill determine ability with guns in games like Alpha Protocol and the original Mass Effect, as someone who prefers more RPG and less shooter in my games.

There arent many games left that do that. I realize I am in the minority here though...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The new lighting/shading is so pretty.

dxa5yju.jpg

dxbpzbp.jpg

dxcu983.jpg

dxd39c4.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gvaz said:
DX11 isn't leaps and bounds above DX9 anyways, and you can only use post-processing AA, lame

tesselation. dat Tong's robotic arm. I prefer polygons to lighting but ENB is really impressive in this game. I wonder why he still does everything in DX9. It will be useless in 2-3 years. Time to learn new stuff.

SHAZOOM

ctrayne said:
I believe the tilde key will do that.

I was wondering about this. I remember I had the quickbar on all the time on my first playthrough and suddenly it did the fade away thing.

Also, I swear there must be a bug or something, because I went back to Detroit and computers I KNOW I hacked earlier were locked. And since they were locked,
apparently Acquantices Forgotten didn't open up for me.... :mad:

luxarific said:
Don't really get this? Holding a target steady is difficult for nearly everyone in real life, just given the slight movements in the body that are induced by things like breathing. If anything is comical, it's fixed, unshakable target sights.

Except Jensen has SWAT training and robot arms. The only excuse for this is that Sarif gave him shitty arms that had to be upgraded before he can control them properly. This and the eat a candy bar/wait 30 seconds before you can punch someone in the face makes the augmentation seem like a step backwards.

Ermac said:
Where do you find out Sarif had his good arm and legs replaced? Also I didn't know his legs were augmented

It's on an ebook or a computer in the Detroit LIMB clinic. They stated somehow that his employer had the right to request that for some reason. Honestly, I'm pretty sure Sarif just wanted to pump as many augmentations into Adam both as an experiment and to turn him into his "attack dog" (as Sarif's enemies called Adam). He knew of Adam's healing ability, and how well it should accept augmentations. In the prologue credits scene you can hear one of the doctor's saying "haven't you lost enough people today?" with David replying "his body can take it".

Personally, I would be pissed if my boss had my perfectly good legs chopped off to be replaced with augmented ones -- no matter how cool they were.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
SenseiJinx said:
It's on an ebook or a computer in the Detroit LIMB clinic. They stated somehow that his employer had the right to request that for some reason. Honestly, I'm pretty sure Sarif just wanted to pump as many augmentations into Adam both as an experiment and to turn him into his "attack dog" (as Sarif's enemies called Adam). He knew of Adam's healing ability, and how well it should accept augmentations. In the prologue credits scene you can hear one of the doctor's saying "haven't you lost enough people today?" with David replying "his body can take it".

Personally, I would be pissed if my boss had my perfectly good legs chopped off to be replaced with augmented ones -- no matter how cool they were.
You find out about it twice. The first was where you mentioned and the second was
during the Forgotten Acquaintances side quest, when the investigator guy told Jensen that Sarif butchered him.

And I agree with you. Reading that email was when
I started to hate Sarif. I resented the fact that I couldn't directly confront him about it in-game, too.

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
ahahahaha! I am a giant pussy, I have died 5 times at the first enemies.

Game is hard!

This better not be the fucking prologue still.

nib95

Banned
That's the PC version? Damn, looks a lot better. Lighting is a stark improvement. If I didn't already have the PS3 version (got it for £15, plus don't have my PC on me at present) Id have got the PC version :(

EatChildren

DennisK4 said:
Its the first time you shoot at people so....?

I know ENB is pretty, but you need to shoot the enemies, not look at them.

DennisK4 said:
Its the first time you shoot at people so....?

Right after the tutorials show how to use cover and shoot.
All of your posting about ENB before even making it out of the opening tutorial of the game has to be some kind of master race badge of honor or something. It's impressive.

SenseiJinx said:
You just stand around and wait for awhile, and eventually the glass breaks, and the you shoot her in the face a few times. Also, if you don't have electricity-proof aug, just stand on something so that you won't get electrocuted.

Yeah, it's really dumb.

Curious, who else really liked Adam as a character? I'm sure opinions differ on the subject, but I thought he was a very interesting character. What really solidified him as a great character for me was
visiting his apartment for the first time. So many little touches that really gave the character depth for me. The books strewn about, the food laying around the apartment, the things he tinkered with on his desk. The pictures of him in SWAT, the "Get Well Soon" cards, the picture of him and Megan. The broken mirror. Seriously, for the rest of the game I couldn't look at him the same. He felt like a real person to me.

Something that DX1 did well was when you made a decision to do something, JC would "defend" that decision, as it were. It nearly always made it feel like what you chose to have him do was within his character. I felt they did the same thing here.

There were a few things that he never reacted to that bothered me somewhat. Finding out that Sarif had his legs and good arm cut off to be replaced by augmented ones made me rage. I can't believe Adam didn't even bring it up.

Still, there were plenty of small moments that were incredibly satisfying. Like when he asks Pritchard to send a security team to protect that senile lady that had saved him from the fire when he was a baby. Or his and Malik's exchanges.

I thought it was an interesting contrast between the motives for most of the characters in the game, and those of Adam. With all of the conspiracies and political maneuverings, Adam's basic drive was to first bring justice to those he thought were dead, and then to rescue those I'm sure he feels he failed. As the chief of security, I'm sure he was haunted by the idea that his lack of sufficient security resulted in the break-in.

I agree and addition to those, I'd like to add how
Pritchard and Jensen's relationship in the beginning was mostly against each other and I couldn't stand Pritchard always being so annoying. But over the course of the game it slowly goes away and they really start to rely on each other and respect each other.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Lionheart1827 said:
Pritchard and Jensen's relationship in the beginning was mostly against each other and I couldn't stand Pritchard always being so annoying. But over the course of the game it slowly goes away and they really start to rely on each other and respect each other.
Yes. I also like how
they continue to insult each other even as they get closer.

ctrayne

Akuun said:
Yes. I also like how
they continue to insult each other even as they get closer.
Agreed. Some great character relationships in the game. They're even better when you read background info from emails and the strategy guide (which I bought for this very reason, because guides + DX = silly.) For example (pre-game non-spoiler)
Adam wanted to have a family, but Megan wanted to focus on research/was scared to tell Adam about Patient X.

EatChildren said:
Yeah, ENB really hurts my FPS too, but also introduces much more input lag and stuttering than usual. The input lag is really weird, as I have vsync and everything else on. I wonder if ENB is forcing it.

I get this too =/ Fraps is reading ~30-40 but it feels just terrible to move around. Sure looks pretty though. Don't suppose you've found a fix? I've played with triple buffering and vsync but neither seem to have an effect.

EatChildren

Sax Russel said:
I get this too =/ Fraps is reading ~30-40 but it feels just terrible to move around. Sure looks pretty though. Don't suppose you've found a fix? I've played with triple buffering and vsync but neither seem to have an effect.

Not yet. I'm going to hold off an ENB playthrough until this stuff is ironed out. Input lag kills my buzz.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Treemonkeys said:
Except Jensen has SWAT training and robot arms. The only excuse for this is that Sarif gave him shitty arms that had to be upgraded before he can control them properly. This and the eat a candy bar/wait 30 seconds before you can punch someone in the face makes the augmentation seem like a step backwards.

But the setup to the game and the context in which upgrades occur is that you were recently augmented and are learning how to control/fully exploit your augments. Starting out with limited functionality because you "just got your powers" is actually a really logical way of incorporating skill trees into a game (see InFamous for another good example).

The "battery charge" limitation is to avoid the problem of the player becoming an unstoppable god - there would be zero challenge if you could stay cloaked and do silent takedowns on enemies without having to worry about running out of power. It also makes sense within the context of the game - Jensen didn't have a power plant installed when he got his augments. Presumably augments are powered by the normal metabolism of the body.

neoism

OK Holy shit... After 43 hours I beat it. This game goddamn it was sooo good. You know a game is amazing when you took your time to see everything you could, and you want to start a new game immediately. I decided to to the bad ending, because I'm not goina cheat. I'm going to come back to this game and beat it for the other endings. Still I'm sad it's over. :( My first Deus Ex game ever. I didn't even know about this game, until a few days after release... best 35 I've spent in a loong time. Also the music is BOSS.

The Boss battles weren't terrible but not great, but I used my weapons in this play-through... I killed everyone lol.
Also PC side, really glad I bought it for PC, does anyone know if this game is Mod-able, will there be any down the road. Also can't fucking wait for DLC

Tried out ENB mod, but quickly removed it. Game runs great with it, no noticeable changes, other than aiming my weapon. It lags like crazy. Seems strange, that everything else would run smooth, but my aiming lag.

SHAZOOM

The password hacking rhythm got to the point where I didn't even use the password on the last battle. Just started hacking out of habit.

Nugg

Lionheart1827 said:
Pritchard is the only character in the whole game
who never lies to you
. I love that relationship.

hayejin

What's the requirement for that no alert achievement?

Is it OK if I tranqed the guard who discovered the other tranq bodies before alarm got raised?

Lionheart1827 said:

Good point.
It stayed realistic as well, it never dissolved into anything more than it should have been.

Pritchard is the only character in the whole game
who never lies to you
. I love that relationship.

Yeah, that was a really nice touch as well.
Although I would say that Malik never lied to him either. When it came down to it, Malik and Pritchard were really the two characters that Adam could really rely on at the end of the game. Everyone else was full of self interest and lies.

Alex Jacobsen was okay, but Pritchard is certainly a much more interesting character.

D6AMIA6N

Beat the game yesterday. Pretty much did all there is to do, and maxed all the augs save for 2. Overall the game was good. Not great but good. The primary issues I have with it are;

1. Bosses, so lame they might as well have not been put in the game

2. AI. Let me run to the noise, whoops I got shot!

3. Hacking, really monotonous, and pretty much mandatory, totally hacked out by the end of the game

4. One rechargeable energy cell, just plain dumb

5. Easy to obtain and max almost all the augs in one play through

6. Panchea or whatever. What the hell happened? Not a good note to end the game on.

So overall enjoyable, but the end was really a let down. I pretty much just blazed through the end to get it over with, but still found everyone.

I give it a B

Forkball

Beat it tonight. My totally brilliant strategy for beating the final boss:

Put in the 2012 code, jump on a railing to avoid electricity, macked on Cyberboost bars to keep up my cloak so the patrolling robot wouldn't attack me, finished off Zhou with two Typhoons when the glass broke.
Best battle ever.

Great game. Exploration, stealth, combat, story, art, dialogue... it did everything right. They didn't do it perfectly (felt like I didn't have different ways to cause distractions, story got kinda goofy at the end, there could be more weapons), but it did it well enough to keep me entertained for 25 hours. Quick question though:

What is
the Hyron project really? That kinda came out of nowhere and they never really explained what it did or what is was for. Figuring out that the strange outfit in Zhou's office was actually the test suit for this was pretty mindblowing though, I'll give 'em that.

Can't wait for the DLC.

Top Bottom