• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

I'm not too bothered by it. I have more fun replaying the game from scratch using different tactics than I think I would restarting it and just having everything from the get-go.

Sure, it's not at all like there's no replay value (there's plenty), but there should still be an option for new game+ regardless of whether you'd choose it or not.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So following up I just finished The Missing Link DLC (thanks Spiegel/Nacho) and it was awesome as well. One of the best DLC I've experienced, but I got fucked over on the Factory Zero achievement. Did exactly as it said (no weapons, praxis) and it didn't pop at the end so I'm stuck at 9/10. Oh well.

Tenck

Maybe try it with Vsync off, but Triple buffering on? I think that helped for me. Also, I've read in a few places that this registry edit helps:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/944090-deus-ex-human-revolution/60125192

(Yes, I know it's GameFAQs, but that was the best guide I could find on how to do it.)

Worth a shot. Worst case scenario, you can just go in and change those registry settings back to their default.

thanks a bunch man. Will definitely give it a shot ASAP. Game seems really nice and want to get to play it.

Sure, it's not at all like there's no replay value (there's plenty), but there should still be an option for new game+ regardless of whether you'd choose it or not.

Good point. It would be nice if there was the option at least.

So following up I just finished The Missing Link DLC (thanks Spiegel/Nacho) and it was awesome as well. One of the best DLC I've experienced, but I got fucked over on the Factory Zero achievement. Did exactly as it said (no weapons, praxis) and it didn't pop at the end so I'm stuck at 9/10. Oh well.

Yeah, I loved the DLC as well. I had the exact same problem as you, though, I'm 99% certain I never once used a weapon and I know I didn't use any praxis, but I didn't get the achievement.

thanks a bunch man. Will definitely give it a shot ASAP. Game seems really nice and want to get to play it.

No problem, hope it helps. I remember having a lot of mouse lag problems at first as well, and it drove me nuts. I think it was mostly gone, but I still experience it everyone once in awhile in the game, but I think I got used to it.

xelios

Yeah, I loved the DLC as well. I had the exact same problem as you, though, I'm 99% certain I never once used a weapon and I know I didn't use any praxis, but I didn't get the achievement.

FbjpV.jpg

I had to replay the entire DLC but I got it to pop this time. I was extra careful, so things I did:

Never picked up a weapon, explosive, ammo or praxis kit.
Never made mines, explosive barrels, gas tanks, fire extenguishers, rotating typhoons etc. go off.
Never threw any box (offensive type long-range throw).
Stealthed as much as possible to avoid enemies blowing up any explosives.

Some of this is far fetched and I'm sure has nothing to do with the achievement except the first and possibly the second, but there was no way I was gonna play through again and not get it. Things different last time when it didn't pop were I picked up weapons/ammo and accidentally loaded/held them (but never shot) and made environment mines go off and there was an explosion or two caused by firefight. Anyway, I'm pooped on DXHR now.

Atruvius

So I loaned this to my cousin, who got a PS3 a few months ago. He's more of a NHL fan but likes shooters too. He had it two weeks or so and I just got it back.

Here's how our conversation went when I got it.

Me: So, did you like it.
Him: It was ok.
Me. Hmm. Which ending did you choose?
Him: What?
Me: There's four different endings, which did you choose?
Him: I don't know. Did it have an ending? It just stopped.
Me: :I Didn't you explore the last area, there supposed to be four buttons at the end.
Him: Oh. No.
Me: Well, Did you do any side missions?
Him: No. I just wanted to kill stuff and that was enough.
Me: >:I

He really missed a great game by not exploring and basically just playing it like a corridor shooter. :(

painey

bought this BF for $30 and now playing in my winter break. Just out of detroit, what a fucking game! DE1 on PC always scared me, and this does too just not as much, probably because Im older. What I wouldnt give for a quick save/load button on 360 though

Finally got around to really starting my second playthrough, going to try to get the Legend/Pacifist/Foxiest of the Hounds combo this time around.

Man, I love this game. I approached the end of the first level in a different way than before, and there has been tons of different responses and reactions by NPCs already. I can think of at least four different outcomes of that first mission, and a couple of them effect a few events hours later in the game, and all of them will have the NPCs reacting different. Love it.

1 - Hang out in SI too long, resulting in the prisoners dying before you get there.

2 - Not being quick enough disarming the gas when you are there, resulting in the prisoners dying.

3 - Saving the prisoners.

4 - Killing Zeke Sanders, before he shoots Josie Thorp

5 - Killing Zeke Sanders, but Josie dies in the process

6 - Knocking Zeke out, but not killing him (this is what I did, with the stun gun)

7 - Talking Zeke into letting Josie go

8 - Fail in the conversation, and Zeke and Josie both die

Some of those probably don't have a large difference from others, in terms of outcome, but some are definitely more profound then others. My first time around I
let Zeke go, and every SWAT member I talked to was seriously pissed (as was Sarif). This time I knocked him out, and they're all congratulating me, saying what a great job I did.

It's the small details like that that were one of the things that made DX1 so amazing (especially on subsequent playthroughs) and it's awesome to see the same thing in HR.

nel e nel

I feel your sentiment, but honestly, by the time I got to the end of my first playthrough, I had about 90% of the augmentations, with a few praxis points left unspent. A new game+ would have been super mega overkill at that point.

Jamesways

I picked this up at lunch today, can't wait to dig into it tonight after work. I've been meaning to play it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll probably do a stealthy run at first, but not really caring about the achievements too much.

Anyone have any quick tips for just starting out?

Hack everything you can. Hacking augmentations come first, then everything else. Skip Typhoon. Try to get all exploration augs (High Jump/Wall Smash/Icarus/Heavy Boxes) before leaving Detroit for the first time, then run around to uncover all the secrets.

I picked this up at lunch today, can't wait to dig into it tonight after work. I've been meaning to play it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I'll probably do a stealthy run at first, but not really caring about the achievements too much.

Take your time. Explore (especially the hubs, there's so much awesome stuff in them), and do the side quests. If you die, experiment with a new way to approach the situation.

Hack everything you can. Hacking augmentations come first, then everything else. Skip Typhoon. Try to get all exploration augs (High Jump/Wall Smash/Icarus/Heavy Boxes) before leaving Detroit for the first time, then run around to uncover all the secrets.

Some of the hacking augmentations aren't really worth it (like the ones that tell you your % chance of being caught).

I would say don't worry too much about which augs you get the first time around. Get the ones that suit your playstyle or that look fun. You can choose others later on.

The High Jump, Lift heavy stuff, and Icarus augs are pretty essential, though. :)

This is unwise. You know all those people complaining about the boss fights? They wouldn't if they have the typhoon. Saves you a ton of headaches. That first boss that everyone has so much trouble with dies in 3 hits from the typhoon, and most other bosses will take 2 or 3 hits. It also becomes really useful as mechs become more and more prevalent as the game goes on. They're significantly more difficult to sneak past than normal enemies, and getting to the computer installations to shut em down or turn em against others aren't always available or easily accessible, but one shot of the upgraded typhoon will take em out.

Otherwise this list is pretty good, especially in telling you to focus on the exploration augs first, including hacking. Knowing what I know about the game now, I'd probably go hacking 2 -> hacking 3 -> hacking stealth 1 -> Typhoon I -> Heavy Lifting -> High Jump -> Wall Smash -> Icarus -> Typhoon 2 to start, but in any case, he's right to priotize exploration over most everything else.

Never noticed this before, but apparently just about everybody in Sarif Industries has a "Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice", including David Sarif. Heh.

I thought I explored Sarif Industries pretty thoroughly my first time around, but I've already stumbled upon a few things I missed. (I'm making a point to hack every office this time.)

This is unwise. You know all those people complaining about the boss fights? They wouldn't if they have the typhoon. Saves you a ton of headaches.

This is the truth. I had a bunch of praxis upgrades to use and I decided to max out my Typhoon for the hell of it. I just got to the end of one of the areas and there are 2 giant box robots that I have to take out. Just ran up to them one at a time and BAM. Dead.

So far I do regret not upgrading my strength and jumping, but I've only come to one spot so far that I needed no fall damage to access.

This is the truth. I had a bunch of praxis upgrades to use and I decided to max out my Typhoon for the hell of it. I just got to the end of one of the areas and there are 2 giant box robots that I have to take out. Just ran up to them one at a time and BAM. Dead.

So far I do regret not upgrading my strength and jumping, but I've only come to one spot so far that I needed no fall damage to access.

Icarus isn't all that great for opening up new areas, but it makes successfully navigating around Hengsha a hell of a lot easier. More for convenience than access.

Lift heavy crap is, on the other hand, absolutely essential pretty early on.

Jamesways

Thanks for the tips. This game is awesome. Redid the whole fist section to save the hostages, find more stuff and be more stealthy.

I can see a lot of replayability in this.

Huggy

I'm currently on one of the earlier missions, and the game suddenly became really hard.
I cannot win a firefight with these guys, and they're right after marching through gang land.
First time when you meet the guys who raided Sarif

Am I supposed to stealth my way through it? I cannot see how you'll ever beat these goons seeing as there aren't any augmentation upgrades to make you stronger (maybe only dermal armor).

Jamesways

I'm currently on one of the earlier missions, and the game suddenly became really hard.
I cannot win a firefight with these guys, and they're right after marching through gang land.
First time when you meet the guys who raided Sarif

Am I supposed to stealth my way through it? I cannot see how you'll ever beat these goons seeing as there aren't any augmentation upgrades to make you stronger (maybe only dermal armor).

I'd love some tips on this too. I went through this part today and finished it. I was trying to be all stealthy, and got through about half of it without incident. But near the end I said screw it after several tries and had a nice firefight. I know there's alternate paths through, but how do you have time to hack that door in the middle of the open with guards everywhere and a turret?

It's tough trying to muscle through it without big firepower. You defnitely have to play smart.

Boss fight wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be though. After stocking up so to speak.

And I'm glad there was more ammo in that area, I was starting to think I was out of luck for my few weapons, vendors didn't carry any more.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Picked up this game cheap online. Going to start my first play through in a week or so. ANy tips as to what I should play as or any tips in general. Playing on xbox 360.

Huggy

I know there's alternate paths through, but how do you have time to hack that door in the middle of the open with guards everywhere and a turret?

You can take an upper path. I did, I wouldn't have survived a gun fight.
I did beat the boss, but only because I had a concussion grenade.

Later in the game I encountered a main storyline mission where you need level 2 hack software. I guess I'd be stuck if I didn't spend a praxis point on it earlier.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll echo that.

In terms of releases like this, games with huge budgets, modern game conventions- those aiming to straddle the line between uniqueness, depth, and accessibility, this one did almost everything way right.

Well, this is really irritating. I'm going for the pacifist achievement, but it seems that some people ALWAYS die if I shoot them with the tranq rifle. I've heard that shooting them in the head with the tranq rifle will generally kill them, but some people I can shoot in the leg, arm, chest, whatever, and they're always dead when I go and check on them.

Anybody else had this problem? Anyway around it (beyond not using the tranq rifle at all).

Korigama

Well, this is really irritating. I'm going for the pacifist achievement, but it seems that some people ALWAYS die if I shoot them with the tranq rifle. I've heard that shooting them in the head with the tranq rifle will generally kill them, but some people I can shoot in the leg, arm, chest, whatever, and they're always dead when I go and check on them.

Anybody else had this problem? Anyway around it (beyond not using the tranq rifle at all).
It's a glitch, whether resulting from shooting them in the head or anywhere else. No real way around it other than to use something else.

It's a glitch, whether resulting from shooting them in the head or anywhere else. No real way around it other than to use something else.

Yeah, it looks like you're right. After messing around with it for awhile, it looks like there's some enemies that will ALWAYS die if you hit them with the tranquilizer, regardless of where you hit them. I tried it on a few about six times, and those characters died every time. Makes it kind of annoying, since I have to go around and double check every body just to make sure I didn't kill them...

What? You mean shooting them in the head makes it a kill? I wasn't going for pacifist this time but that can't be right.

Apparently a head shot doesn't make it a kill, it's just some enemies always seem to die when you hit them with the tranquilizer rifle. For example, those Motor City Banger's that you have to take out during the Cloaks and Dagger's sidequest. The guy in the hallway, and the two on the couch, would ALWAYS die when I hit them with the tranquilizer rifle. So I had to switch to something else.

Only seems to happen to a few enemies, so it's not a huge deal I guess. Just kind of a pain.

Dries

So I haven't arrived in Asia yet, but I'm aware of a game-stopping bug which prevents a shuttle from arriving. Is there a way to make sure I won't encounter this bug?

Just beat it. Excellent, but not perfect, stealth gameplay and a solid Deus Ex game. I had to abuse the cloak maxed-out in the last few levels; other than that, I could generally finish a level with the Ghost bonus. The ending was pretty good but I felt the story was the weakest aspect of the whole game. It didn't need the
Illuminati
and would've been better if
the conspiracy was just Darrow and Sarif Industries working together to augment and control humanity, which starts the real Illuminati. Why didn't Bob Page appear when he's in the trailers and concept art? I must pay attention next time.
Certainly a GOTY contender.

So I haven't arrived in Asia yet, but I'm aware of a game-stopping bug which prevents a shuttle from arriving. Is there a way to make sure I won't encounter this bug?

Hm, I haven't actually heard that of that bug.

Just beat it. Excellent, but not perfect, stealth gameplay and a solid Deus Ex game. I had to abuse the cloak maxed-out in the last few levels; other than that, I could generally finish a level with the Ghost bonus. The ending was pretty good but I felt the story was the weakest aspect of the whole game. It didn't need the
Illuminati
and would've been better if
the conspiracy was just Darrow and Sarif Industries working together to augment and control humanity, which starts the real Illuminati. Why didn't Bob Page appear when he's in the trailers and concept art? I must pay attention next time.
Certainly a GOTY contender.

In regards to the first point
they kind of had to include the Illuminati in order for it to be in the Deus Ex universe. By DX1 the Illuminati have lost most of their power, but it definitely hints that they were largely in control of things, before Page broke off and formed the Majestic 12, and they slowly started to dwindle in power. I think it was always the implication that the Denton's were the eventual result of years of study and research first by the Illuminati and then later by Majestic 12. This seems to be confirmed in HR with Jensen's origins, the Versalife tie-ins, etc.

I think a lot of people don't like having the Illuminati since we pretty much regard it as a ridiculous term these days. Looking past the term into the concept behind it, I think it works well.

And personally, I wouldn't have wanted the conspiracy to be Sarif and Darrow working together. I liked the fact that despite Sarif being an insufferable prick a lot of the time, he was genuine and wasn't involved in the conspiracies. He actively fought against Sarif Industries being controlled by the Illuminati, which is something the other biotech corporations couldn't say.

Also, Bob Page appears in the opening cinematic, and there's also a little clip with him if you watch until the end of the credits. There's also several references to him throughout the game. He was mentioned on Picus at least once, and I remember reading a few emails where he's mentioned, alongside Versalife and Page Industries. There's also an interesting email from Bob Page in The Missing Link DLC as well.

hoverX

I'm loving this game but I'm really relying on my hint book quite a bit. I'm trying to do all the side quest but if I fuck it up once them I go to the hint book.

Also, Bob Page appears in the opening cinematic, and there's also a little clip with him if you watch until the end of the credits. There's also several references to him throughout the game. He was mentioned on Picus at least once, and I remember reading a few emails where he's mentioned, alongside Versalife and Page Industries. There's also an interesting email from Bob Page in The Missing Link DLC as well.

I loved how
Manderly
was more of the behind-the-scenes villain in this one.

Ok so Im playing on the hardest difficulty and just reached the first boss. Ive upgraded my typhoon all the way thinking I could make quick work of him, but he grabs me every time and shoots me in the face. Any help is most appreciated.

Atruvius

Ok so Im playing on the hardest difficulty and just reached the first boss. Ive upgraded my typhoon all the way thinking I could make quick work of him, but he grabs me every time and shoots me in the face. Any help is most appreciated.

Run away and throw grenades and barrels at him. Should kill him easily.

Are they lying around the room? i only just got to him, died a couple times and then quit so I dont even have a basic mental layout of the room yet..

Yeah, one of the first things you should see is barrels and they are usually near the beams in the room or cover. Also on the left side you should see a ton of ammo and grenades.

Are they lying around the room? i only just got to him, died a couple times and then quit so I dont even have a basic mental layout of the room yet..

Yeah, there's gas canisters and explosive barrels laying around the room. They work well. Also, the stun gun is really useful as well. Run up and stun him, and then unload on him with the shotgun for a few seconds, and run away before he recovers. Then throw stuff at him. Best strategy.

Dries

Sometimes I wonder how the game would handle any other play style than stealthy. Take for instance the
Police Station
in Detroit. How would you do all the questing in this location in a run-gun playing style? You would obviously alert
the whole station
while run-gunning and eventually you'd just commit a mass murder spree and that just feels wrong and immersion breaking. The only way I can see fit is playing stealthy. Maybe someone who hasn't gone stealthy can rectify this?

xelios

Sometimes I wonder how the game would handle any other play style than stealthy. Take for instance the
Police Station
in Detroit. How would you do all the questing in this location in a run-gun playing style? You would obviously alert
the whole station
while run-gunning and eventually you'd just commit a mass murder spree and that just feels wrong and immersion breaking. The only way I can see fit is playing stealthy. Maybe someone who hasn't gone stealthy can rectify this?

Talk to the dude at the front desk and convince him to let you in, then all the officers leave you alone. Also unlocks an achievement.

TUROK

Talk to the dude at the front desk and convince him to let you in, then all the officers leave you alone. Also unlocks an achievement.
They get all up in your ass if you fuck up a hack, though. I learned that the hard way today.

Top Bottom