• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

soldat7

Just picked up the PS3 version at Target for $13.98 on clearance. Is it comparable to the 360 version? What's the essential DLC?

Just picked up the PS3 version at Target for $13.98 on clearance. Is it comparable to the 360 version?
DE:HR is a good multiplatform title. Here's what DF had to say on the subject:

Returning to the topic at hand, the main takeaway from this piece is uniformly good news for all concerned: the two console versions are essentially identical, with just deeper gamma and some minor, additional blur differentiating the 360 release from the PS3 version which looks cleaner but seems to feature less effective anti-aliasing. From a performance and gameplay perspective, the two SKUs are mostly identical. In fact, the two console versions are perhaps too much of a match - we would have really liked the blurry, grainy FMVs to be improved for the PS3 where disc space is plentiful. The notion of low-quality FMVs on PC titles continues to rankle - why not offer higher-quality 1080p versions as downloads if publishers are having trouble crunching everything onto DVD?

more here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-face-off

You'll be fine on the PS3. Enjoy the game.

What's the essential DLC?
The Limited/Augmented Edition contained this, but it's available on the PSN store:

The Explosive Mission pack contains an additional bonus mission, Tong’s Rescue, the Remote-Detonated Explosive Device and the Automatic Unlocking Device.
The Explosive Mission and Tactical Enhancement pack contains all of the above, plus the Double-Barrel Shotgun, the Silenced Sniper Rifle and 10,000 extra in-game credits.

The only full-fledged DLC released so far is The Missing Link. Definitely play it. It's great.

I started this two days ago thanks to PS+ and man, having never played Deus Ex, I'm frigging loving it. I didn't know it was so similar to VtM: Bloodlines :D

Just finished it last night after getting it on PS+ I was never interested in the game originally, mainly because I remember trying to play the very first game years ago and not being able to get into it/liking it, so it completely put me off. However the game being available for about £10 now was tempting me, so being able to get it for "free" was a no brainer. TBH I probably went in thinking I'd not really enjoy it much... but maybe that's also why I loved it even more, because it surprised me how much I loved it.

It's a big game for a start. Just when you feel it's coming to an end, there's tons more. I love being able to explore the cities and all the secrets/hidden stuff dotted about. There's a lot to explore. It's almost amazing how little load times there are considering. Even going into buildings, there always seems to be another room you stumble into or vent to explore. Hacking was fun and rewarding. Even if I had the code, I'd still hack it for the XP/money.

Being able to upgrade was cool. I didn't actually realise till quite late on you could unlock the other parts to upgrade yourself by spending Praxis kits... I thought these had to be bought in LIMB and wondered what I was missing. It was always hard to choose what to upgrade next because there is a lot to expand your skills. Picking which next was always something I had to carefully think about, like what would help me best for my next challenge ahead.

The only knock I really had with it was a couple of the boss fights and maybe the very end "fight". The first boss was a pain, mainly because I wasn't even expecting a boss fight and how unprepared I was for it. I mean I could have nearly just brought in with me the tranquilizer gun as I was doing the mission stealthily. Thankfully I did, for some reason, pick up a few other weapons along the way to fill my inventory. But he was a bit of a pain to do anyways. Lobbing grenades about and being in general, a bully.

I really didn't want it to end though. Thankfully now I have The Missing Link DLC ready to go, so hopefully I'll enjoy that.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've been itching to replay the game, and i saw that there is 2 DLCs for new weapons for just a few dollars on Steam... is it worth it?

bengraven

I love the environments and the Deus Ex-feel, but something is really really really bothering me.

I noticed back in Detroit that there was TONS of reused character faces and voice actors and now that I'm in China and I'm seeing the same shit it's getting old. It's literally hurting my interest in the game that I'm seeing so much repetition.

I love the environments and the Deus Ex-feel, but something is really really really bothering me.

I noticed back in Detroit that there was TONS of reused character faces and voice actors and now that I'm in China and I'm seeing the same shit it's getting old. It's literally hurting my interest in the game that I'm seeing so much repetition.

Developers have to decide where to spend their budgets man. Both time and money. Couple that together with this being thier first outing in an ambitions game and you can understand that they were up against it

Good news is that this is one of those series that yu can tell will be better in its second or third iteration. More money in their budget. Better grasp of their engine and what they want to do with the game. Really cant wait for them to announce the next one.

So hmmm... I've been progressing through the game and I don't want to spoil anything reading through the thread because it's getting interesting. But regarding the DLC, should I play it when I get there in the game or play it after I finish?

Tess3ract

Banned
So hmmm... I've been progressing through the game and I don't want to spoil anything reading through the thread because it's getting interesting. But regarding the DLC, should I play it when I get there in the game or play it after I finish?
Having beaten both, you lose nothing by beating the dlc after you finish the game. You can stop and start the dlc if you want, but I don't really think it adds anything to the story in terms of what wasn't there.

I don't think so, SJRB :( Lovely avatar btw.

Having beaten both, you lose nothing by beating the dlc after you finish the game. You can stop and start the dlc if you want, but I don't really think it adds anything to the story in terms of what wasn't there.

Okay, I guess I'll see when I get there. I've read it's close to the climax of the game so maybe I'll leave it for later, I'm not sure I'm going to have a lot of time this week and I don't want to leave it halfway through the last part :)

Chris R

Just played an hour of it or so after buying it during the steam sale. Only had a single issue (game slowed down to 1 fps until I ctrl/alt/del out of the game and opened task manager, was fine after that) so far so that is nice. Also I have a question... is there any way to adjust the UI scale? Well, more specifically, the scale of the Radar. I'd love it if it was twice as large as it currently is, stuff got tiny when I augmented Radar 2.

Forkball

I thought it integrates seamlessly in you playthrough.

Nope, stand alone. If you want to play it "in order", the only non-spoiler hint I can give you is to play it when you go into a capsule. That's not so spoilery, right? Anyways, when you go into there, you can stop, play Missing Link, and then pick up from there.

Also I'm surprised we didn't get more DLC for this game.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I have never played any of the previous deus ex games, so didnt really know what to expect going in. Im glad I gave it a shot, the game is amazing. One of the best fps this gen. While I did enjoy the story, the ending was disappointing as hell. I went the stealth route first play through, is it worth going through it again guns blazing? Or is it not as fun?

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I'm surprised too.
They cut out several areas of the game...I'm shocked they didn't repurpose them for DLC packs.

I have never played any of the previous deus ex games, so didnt really know what to expect going in. Im glad I gave it a shot, the game is amazing. One of the best fps this gen. While I did enjoy the story, the ending was disappointing as hell. I went the stealth route first play through, is it worth going through it again guns blazing? Or is it not as fun?

I always did stealth runs, so I'm not sure about guns blazing. But it seems the game was designed to accommodate both, so give it a shot.

And I agree on the ending.
I wanted to see the ramifications of Adam's choices in the DX world, not a montage of shots from this one.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
They cut out several areas of the game...I'm shocked they didn't repurpose them for DLC packs.

I always did stealth runs, so I'm not sure about guns blazing. But it seems the game was designed to accommodate both, so give it a shot.

And I agree on the ending.
I wanted to see the ramifications of Adam's choices in the DX world, not a montage of shots from this one.

Exactly my thoughts. When that came up on screen, I was thinking, wtf is this? Does the
secret ending change depending on what button you press? Or is it the same regardless?

I was thinking of doing another stealth run, since I enjoyed the stealth elements in the game, but thought it would be boring so quickly after beating the game.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly my thoughts. When that came up on screen, I was thinking, wtf is this? Does the
secret ending change depending on what button you press? Or is it the same regardless?

I was thinking of doing another stealth run, since I enjoyed the stealth elements in the game, but thought it would be boring so quickly after beating the game.

Secret ending is the same no matter what ending you pick, though Page makes a comment about the wreckage, so the destruction ending might be the canon one.

Which would be insane, especially if you played Adam as a pacifist.

Just got around to playing the Missing Link DLC. It was alright. I had fun going through the thing without any praxis upgrades or anything... well, until it didn't give me the achievement for not using any praxis points/firing weapons/whatever. I was very careful to never do anything that could negate that achievement in my playthrough, but I don't know what went wrong. Oh well, 9/10 ain't bad. Not going to replay it just for that one thing. I'd play the full game again before do that.

Korigama

Secret ending is the same no matter what ending you pick, though Page makes a comment about the wreckage, so the destruction ending might be the canon one.

Which would be insane, especially if you played Adam as a pacifist.
Without the Hyron Project to regulate the water pressure surrounding Panchaea anymore, the facility was going to collapse in on itself eventually regardless of ending chosen.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing The Missing Link again. Why is this game so awesome?! Also, why didn't they make any more DLC?

Rolf NB

This is the best-looking Wii game I've ever seen...

And wtf at not including English in the EU versions. These translation is a garbage, or something.

Edgeward

I finally got this game working. Before it would randomly slow to a crawl, on top of excessive loading times. Luckily moving it to an SSD made it very playable now and load times are normalish.

Game is pretty sweet. I got all this extra cash though, and I want the LIMB's store to hurry up and sell more augment upgrades.

SJRB

Gold Member
Doing an umpteenth playthrough this weekend after double-dipping and getting the PC version during the Steam Summer Sale.

I love this game so much, the art direction is the best I've ever seen in any game or movie. The soundtrack is one of a kind too. Whenever I need to make some graphic designs I always fire up the DXHR soundtrack because it inspires me greatly. The soundscapes are nothing short of brilliant. The augmentation aspect really triggered something in me. Even though I have no educational background regarding the subjects whatsoever, I've been reading quite a lot about neuro robotica, reverse-engineering the human brain and overall technological advancements in regards to bio engineering.

I can only hope a sequel is in the works. I was immensely disappointed that there was nothing during last E3. You know, I would settle for an announcement. Just knowing that the same team behind DXHR is working on a next one would be enough to ease my mind.
Why are you doing this to me, Eidos Montreal?

So I just got this game as a rental, and its amazing, my only fear is, as a rental I wont exactly experience the best this game has to offer. I have the rental for a couple of weeks, and can probably play a fair bit during that time, but with rentals I always feel inclined to rush forward, I kind of think this is the type of game where I should slow my pace down. Is that true for the whole game? Or is that just the initial segments? Playing properly how long would the game take to complete? I am a stealth player but mix in some combat here and there.

Im very tempted to send the rental back and pick the game up sometime when I can really take my time with it, would that be recommended or is a few weeks enough?

So I just got this game as a rental, and its amazing, my only fear is, as a rental I wont exactly experience the best this game has to offer. I have the rental for a couple of weeks, and can probably play a fair bit during that time, but with rentals I always feel inclined to rush forward, I kind of think this is the type of game where I should slow my pace down. Is that true for the whole game? Or is that just the initial segments? Playing properly how long would the game take to complete? I am a stealth player but mix in some combat here and there.

Im very tempted to send the rental back and pick the game up sometime when I can really take my time with it, would that be recommended or is a few weeks enough?

It can take at least 20 hours the first time, but if you play this game only once you're missing the point.

SJRB

Gold Member
sykoW.jpg

My favourite area in the entire game. The art direction is just stunning from every perspective. The statues, the design of the secretary's desk. Ceiling ornaments, the artwork on the floor.

When I first entered this area I walked around for 15 minutes just soaking up all the details.

Edit: a game like this deserves a better 20,000th post:

tK4Cx.jpg

XXEHI.jpg

hrFEX.jpg

OcEPj.jpg

8VVoS.jpg

HwkQs.jpg

UoREO.jpg

Want the ingame screensaver seen on all the desktops? Go here!
dxscreensaver1.jpg

dxscreensaver2.jpg

deus-ex.jpg

"It's not the end of the world, but I can see it from here.."

My favourite area in the entire game. The art direction is just stunning from every perspective. The statues, the design of the secretary's desk. Ceiling ornaments, the artwork on the floor.

When I first entered this area I walked around for 15 minutes just soaking up all the details.

For all the shit this game gets about "piss filter," the design is really top-notch. I just wish the art book you get with the collector's edition was longer.

Bog

Junior Ace
Finished the game (+ DLC) this weekend and friggin' loved it. One of my favorite games this gen. Anyone else finish the game with a bunch of unused Praxis points? I kept hearing about unfair boss fights, so I was keeping some handy for the situation... I'm a little ashamed to admit I had... 10 at the end. :(

Fireblend

Banned
So I started playing this again (why, why did I stop playing it?!) and I think I'm really close to finishing it now (about to leave Hengsha for the second time). So good.

Anyway, I bought the regular edition (not the augmented one with the DLC). If I buy the DLC through Steam, is there any way for me to access the extra missions/content without having to play through the whole game again?

So I started playing this again (why, why did I stop playing it?!) and I think I'm really close to finishing it now (about to leave Hengsha for the second time). So good.

Anyway, I bought the regular edition (not the augmented one with the DLC). If I buy the DLC through Steam, is there any way for me to access the extra missions/content without having to play through the whole game again?

The Missing Link is, unfortunately, a stand alone game. I really wish they could have had it launch when the game comes up to the time frame it takes place in. For you I guess that a bonus though.

The Tong mission DLC is not a stand alone though. You cant play it until the appropriate time when Tong will ask you to do the mission for him.

xCobalt

I'm going through the game for the first time and playing on the hardest difficulty. I've been using a guide along the way, which I dislike doing, so I can pick up weapon upgrades or praxis kits that I might have missed. Since you can't revisit areas, I feel like there's a need to ensure I picked up everything important.

I'm just wondering if the upgrades are necessary to seek out or will I be fine without them?

I'm going through the game for the first time and playing on the hardest difficulty. I've been using a guide along the way, which I dislike doing, so I can pick up weapon upgrades or praxis kits that I might have missed. Since you can't revisit areas, I feel like there's a need to ensure I picked up everything important.

I'm just wondering if the upgrades are necessary to seek out or will I be fine without them?
Depends whether you're playing it by Stealth (go for Typhoon/Cloak/Batteries) or Assault (Recoil/Aiming Motion). In general, the hacking augments (hacking level + hacking stealth) are really useful.

In the end, you'll probably have enough praxis points to buy out 3/4 of augments available.

Top Bottom