• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution |OT| I never asked for this... It gave me lemon-lime

Edgeward

Jeez I have no clue what happened but the game is back to slowing a crawl at random points. Like in the single digits. It was fine a few weeks back... Hmm, how disappointing. I would have to wait a couple minutes for t to stabilize then it's back to normal. So strange.

xCobalt

Depends whether you're playing it by Stealth (go for Typhoon/Cloak/Batteries) or Assault (Recoil/Aiming Motion). In general, the hacking augments (hacking level + hacking stealth) are really useful.

In the end, you'll probably have enough praxis points to buy out 3/4 of augments available.

That didn't really answer my question. I was wondering if its worth using a guide (something I dislike doing) to find weapon upgrades or will I be fine without it. Only a problem because it seems like you can't revisit areas.

Edgeward

I don't think I would've
save Malik
had I not seen the secret achievement list by accident. When I first "failed" I thought "what!?" then I remembered what I read earlier and retried it this time getting the achievement. =)

Wasn't doing a pacifist run either so I just blasted fools with my pistol, which is so OP. 1 shot headshots regardless of armor and so accurate. So good.

Cardshark950

Neo Member
That didn't really answer my question. I was wondering if its worth using a guide (something I dislike doing) to find weapon upgrades or will I be fine without it. Only a problem because it seems like you can't revisit areas.

I would say it's worth using a guide as if you don't, there's a fair chance you'll miss at least one upgrade or praxis kit (probably more though).

bjork

I'm replaying this on a second profile, as I finally got my copy back after having lent it out for ~6-8 months. I'm surprising myself by going "I think there's an [item] in this desk/trash can/etc" and then seeing it actually be there. I'm up to the part where
you take the long elevator trip down after going through the news building
and so far it's still fun. I kind of wish the AI was a bit smarter, and I wish there were a wider perk variety, but aside from that I'm enjoying it.

I still haven't tried the DLC for it, though. That's a good one, right?

The Chef

Edit: a game like this deserves a better 20,000th post:

It absolutely does. I find myself thinking about this game ALL THE TIME even though I beat it last year. Its quite possibly one of the best games I have ever played.

I cannot believe I haven't tried the DLC. I need to jump on that right away.
BTW those PICS ARE AMAZING.

Complete edition in the PSN store for only 9.99€! Didnt need to think twice to buy it!

Played the original but not for long since I didnt own it. Great game!

Edgeward

I just completed Chapter 14 - Harvesting Hope and just before entering Wang's office I had to find a way to avoid the camera and turret and the two guards. The guards are easy enough to avoid but the turret can see for miles away.

So I got on top of the office building and went behind the turret and made it face away from the door. Then there was a matter of the camera. I tried hacking the door quickly. Fail. I then saw a box I could pick up. I tried stacking it on top of the crate near the door opening hoping to block the camera's view. Nope. I then just stacked the box on top of a forklift near the camera, obstructing it's movement and finally letting me in without being seen. Not the way it was intended to be solved but I'll take it.

I also like how I can't walk without being heard but I can drop a box and no one cares.

Really wish I could knock on walls though. Would make certain things way easier.

Taffer

I also like how I can't walk without being heard but I can drop a box and no one cares.

Really wish I could knock on walls though. Would make certain things way easier.

I figured that that was what all those little cardboard boxes were for, they're everywhere. You can throw them right past a guard's face and they'll happily go where the box lands rather than where it came from.
It feels a bit cheap though so I just ignore all those boxes.

Edgeward

Beat it! Beat the 3rd boss the hard way because I made a decision earlier that really put me at a disadvantage. Couple tries to do it, but it wasn't too hard once I became more cautious.

Game is terrific, and really liked all the endings although
destroying the base and everyone in it
is the one I liked the best.

The last area seemed pretty tough to just sneak by without any interaction though so I got tired and just hacked turrets and robots to kill the enemies. Still got the good variations of the endings which is fine by me.

The last area seemed pretty tough to just sneak by without any interaction
Imagine my surprise when I found out
I had passed by both spots to meet up for the objectives
doing my no kills/foxiest of hounds playthrough. It was rough going backwards and then back to the elevator...

Glad you liked it. : )

Edgeward

Oh yeah! I did the something similar. I made it to the end and saw those secondary objectives fail and I was like "aw hell no" and had to scour the entire area again to get those done. Turns out, I had completely missed on the entrances to both areas and never noticed them as I thought they would have to be along the way and not need to do anything extra.

I didn't play the original so the end was lost on me. But I really loved the world and set-up of the universe so I'm really interested on getting it next steam sale. And picking up the DLC as well, because I want a bit more Deus Ex HR in my life.

bjork

So I played through the DLC a couple days back. I liked the story being self-contained yet having ties to the main game without creating plot holes in the main game's story, and I liked that the location makes sense in the sequence of the main game's story too. (That's a problem I had with some of the Fallout DLCs, was going to all-new places that were just out of the blue. Go to this spaceship! Go to this virtual alaska! Doesn't make sense to me).

Anyway, it was interesting to explore and see what options you're given there. Being able to
respec Jensen was neat because at the point where you get a bunch of praxis kits, you're not really sure what's up ahead. I wound up skipping most of the hacking stuff and killed my way through most of it.

Some of the situations were really tough to me, and I see that there's an achievement for not using any weapons/explosives/praxis kits. So after going through it, all I can imagine is that you've got to really abuse throwing objects to alert guards to other areas and making good use of alternate paths when they're available. Is that the only trick, or am I missing some very obvious option?

Edgeward

Found the DLC on sale for 3.75 on Gamefly and played and beat it today. Excellent. Nice to see the environments seem new and the structure of the boat is pretty well done. The backtracking back and forth is a little annoying but nothing too bad. Even beat it on hard first try and pacifist just for my own satisfaction. And the boss fight is way better handled here than in the base game.

The games on sale on Steam, yet again, for $7.49. No excuses if you don't have it yet, it's gone on sale on Steam probably 10 times since release.

Le-mo

So I finally get around to playing this and I get welcome with this error, "Wrong DRM version data 0, code 15
rebuild of pc-w\pickup_database.drm needed." What is this? I have it on Steam.

soultron

Banned
I ran into Mary Demarle yesterday on the street. (This wasn't a major coincidence since she was at Toronto's Gamercamp this weekend giving a talk. Her talk was great.) It was cool. I may have geeked out a bit but I wanted to tell her how I had to sit at the very end for 30 minutes before making my final choice.

Le-mo

I ran into Mary Demarle yesterday on the street. (This wasn't a major coincidence since she was at Toronto's Gamercamp this weekend giving a talk. Her talk was great.) It was cool. I may have geeked out a bit but I wanted to tell her how I had to sit at the very end for 30 minutes before making my final choice.
Ah, I thought somebody found me a solution.

Le-mo

I have no idea, Le-mo. The only thing I can think of would be to try verifying the integrity of the game cache, in hopes that it just didn't properly download a file or something.

I tried googling for it, but I didn't really turn up anything helpful. This was the only thing other than your own post that I turned up - http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=119673

Oh wow, I think that might have solved my problem. I verified the cache and now it's downloading the missing file. Thanks.

Haha, I really hope that fixes it for you. I have gotten myself into the habit of immediately checking the integrity of the cache right after downloading a game, because it seems there's always something that didn't download properly.

So all the future DLC won't be coming? Wasn't there a mention somewhere they will put another hub city? I would've paid 20$ for it.

Steam clock shows 87 hours, all achievements done, my only Steam game like that so far. Incredible experience.

So all the future DLC won't be coming? Wasn't there a mention somewhere they will put another hub city? I would've paid 20$ for it.

Steam clock shows 87 hours, all achievements done, my only Steam game like that so far. Incredible experience.

I don't recall a mention about them confirming that they would actually release another hub as DLC. The only thing similar I heard was that there was originally going to be at least one more hub (Montreal) but they didn't have time to fully implement it, so they cut it out.

I certainly would love more DLC, though. Or a sequel announced. Or something. Need more Deus Ex!

Le-mo

This game is pretty awesome so far. Finished the Lee side quest and will do the story mission once I get off school. Are there any cool mods for this game?

GrayFoxPL

Big problem PS3 version.

I played through most of the game some time ago. Since then I upgraded the hard drive, I wanted to finish this today.

Installed but the game freezes after pressing start on title screen. :(

In a weird way, very hard to turn off console by holding power button.

I googled someone else with the same problem but that's it.

Help?

Update:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=129677

Seems the game freezes if you are logged to network. Lol.

Need to play it offline. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Have you tried any other games to see if they freeze as well?

You might try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. Unless that will delete the save file or something.

GrayFoxPL

Have you tried any other games to see if they freeze as well?

You might try uninstalling the game and reinstalling it. Unless that will delete the save file or something.

Nah other games don't freeze. People did everything in that eidos forums thread. It's the firmware that messed it up probably.

So Eidos Montreal just posted a a bunch of stuff over on their Tumbler.

Seemed to hint at possible future DLC a few times. Very evasive answers, but seems like it's definitely a possibility.

Although I am holding out for an announcement for another sequel. There's plenty of potential material to make a great game between HR and DX1.

stn

Apologies if this is the wrong place, I didn't want to make a whole thread for this. My question deals with the Deus-Ex HDTP mod.

1. Will my laptop run it fine? I have 8GB of ram, Geforce GT 630M. I assume it will but I want to make sure it won't make my system overheat.

2. Does it work fine with the STEAM version of the game? I'd definitely love to triple-dip since its so cheap.

3. Is the installation easy and dummy-proof?

Thanks!!!

Is The Missing Link DLC worth getting if only for a single player playthrough?
I'd say yes. It's a great piece of DLC, although personally, I would recommend playing it AFTER you finish the game. The DLC is rather long (and very interesting, IMHO) but it'll break the storyline a bit which could be detrimental to your experience. But than again that's my opinion, take it as you will. And I'm not even sure you can play the DLC "within" the main storyline. Someone should confirm/deny that.

Tizoc

^Thanks, and I was planning on playing it after beating the game anyway, will pick it up when it goes on sale next week from EU PSN~

SJRB

Gold Member
Started a new playthrough yesterday, will continue the upcoming weekend. I love replaying a game like this once every three months or so. I do the same with Arkham City.

God this game is just so awesome. The art, overall design and atmosphere is so great, and the soundtrack is the best ever.

I'll admit that the animations seem a bit wonkey, especially during conversations. And everytime I hear Sarif I think of that video where the voice actor who played Sarif has a meltdown.

But still, I wish the boys over at Eidos Montreal would at least confirm a next one is in the works. It's been almost 18 months man, come on. Don't leave me hanging.

Tom_Cody

I just started playing the PS3 version last night and I'm enjoying it so far. I played for about an hour and I'm currently part way through the first mission. I had been interested in the mainly because of the art direction and generally positive reviews and I didn't know much about the series or the gameplay going in. I would love some advice as I venture forward.

I didn't realize the gameplay would be so open-ended. The first mission gives you the option to "kill or go stealth" (I chose stealth) and then to get a long-range or short-range weapon (I chose short-range). The stun gun I was given seems to be essentially useless so I have simply been avoiding all enemies.

To what extent do these gameplay styles effect the game? Is there a branching story? Differing rewards? I am enjoying myself, but playing the way that I have been has been a little frustrating. I end up never feeling safe so I really haven't done any exploring (as it is I have had to re-do each section multiple times). Related to that question, how much does exploring matter? Does the game reward you for comprehensively combing through each room or is it ok to just move directly to each successive "X" on the map?

And, finally, any general advice on the skill system? Can you eventually obtain all skills or does the game force you to choose a path?

I didn't realize the gameplay would be so open-ended. The first mission gives you the option to "kill or go stealth" (I chose stealth) and then to get a long-range or short-range weapon (I chose short-range). The stun gun I was given seems to be essentially useless so I have simply been avoiding all enemies.

The stun gun is amazing, although at short range. Avoiding enemies is one way to do it, just remember you'll be missing out on a lot of experience points that way, as well as potentially certain areas in the game. The best way to use the stun gun is to hide in cover, and then line your crosshairs up with an enemy. When it turns red, they are in range, and you can pop out and one shot them with the stun gun. You can also use it to stun security bots and temporarily put security cameras out of commission.

To what extent do these gameplay styles effect the game? Is there a branching story?

No, not really a branching story at all, but the way you play will affect the way in which certain characters react to you. It's subtle, but well done. The different endings are also slightly altered according to your playstyle.

Differing rewards?

You get more experience for being non-lethal/stealthy. Some sidequests require you to use stealth, or reward you if you do.

I am enjoying myself, but playing the way that I have been has been a little frustrating. I end up never feeling safe so I really haven't done any exploring (as it is I have had to re-do each section multiple times). Related to that question, how much does exploring matter? Does the game reward you for comprehensively combing through each room or is it ok to just move directly to each successive "X" on the map?

You don't *have* to explore, and if you really just want to go from point a to point b with no exploring, that's an option. But you would be missing out on SO much. There's tons of secrets in the game, areas to find, interesting things to read, cool items to loot, interesting characters to talk to, interesting alternative paths to achieving objectives, that you just won't find if you don't explore. In terms of not feeling safe, often exploring is the best way to find alternative paths through an area that essentially make it easier to accomplish the objective. And exploration is an absolute must when you get to the city hubs, as they are quite big and just full of cool stuff.

And, finally, any general advice on the skill system? Can you eventually obtain all skills or does the game force you to choose a path?

In theory you can get all of the skills by the end of the game, but that's really hard to do. You basically have to get max XP every level, which means non lethal takedowns on every enemy, hack everything, ghost bonuses, etc.

Some of the augs are pretty pointless, and some are pretty essential. I like to break them down into ones that actually affect what you can do and what areas you can access, and ones that merely make the game easier or improve some aspect. I always go for the ones that affect what you can do/access first, as that ensures you'll have access to what you need.

Definitely get:

• Hacking, Level 5 (as soon as you can)
  • CASIE
  • Move/Throw Heavy Objects
  • Jump Higher
  • Icarus Landing (very useful by the time you reach the second hub, otherwise you will keep dying by falling from tall buildings)

Avoid:

• Hacking - Analyze
  • Radar Upgrade

As for the rest, take a look at their descriptions and see what fits your playstyle, or sounds fun. Cloaking is always fun, and Typhoon is very useful for the bosses. I really like Punch through walls and see through walls as well.

Tizoc

About the Missing Link DLC; I haven't downloaded it yet off EU PSN, but to play it is it a seperate option on the game's main menu, or is it a mission that becomes available as I play through the game?

Also I plan on playing the game on the highest difficulty+pacifist stealth run, so I'd like tips for making this playthrough easier or less tedious? I've read that the game has annoying bosses so I'd like some tips for handling them too.
One advice I was given was to always hide the body, so I should put knocked out enemies in areas where other enemies don't patrol.

Top Bottom